Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Mineral based make-ups
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
RedRose

Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:15 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, I'm new here, and apoligize in advance, if this topic has been discussed before...but lately I've been researching mineral make-ups, and found that these three brands were the most well known, and the "best", per se:

BareMinerals
Jane Iredale
Glominerals

If you are familiar with these mineral make-ups, which one would you recommend, and if you know of another brand of mineral make-ups, by all means, please share!

Thanks!!
lassie1234
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:32 pm      Reply with quote
Smile BE is i think the best if you have any kind of redness on your face. the bisque is awsome.
Arrow lassie 1234
RedRose

Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:37 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for such a quick reply. I went to BE's site, and found that I actually have a store right by me. So I will most definately check it out tomorrow.
Mabsy

Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:58 pm      Reply with quote
I prefer the JI and Glominerals to the BE because they don't seem to have that same "pearly" finish as the BE does. I also find the JI pressed base easier and less messy to apply.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 14, 2005 5:07 am      Reply with quote
Hi Rose...
You didn't mention your age or skin condition but, I can tell you that as a 52 year old with relatively nice skin Bare Minerals just did not work at all for me. I look better with no makeup at all on than with this product. Tried really hard to like it but, it seemed to settle into any tiny line I have and make it look worse. I'm back to my liquid foundation.
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:01 am      Reply with quote
I'm in my late 30s with dry skin and find JI loose works very well for me. Gives as much coverage as you like, as you can build it up from very light to heavier over blemishes.
Mariav
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:37 am      Reply with quote
I would choose Jane Iredale first. It's a much more natural coverage than BE and depending on your skin - comes in loose (for skin on the dryer side) and pressed (for normal or normal/oily).

There are more mineral makeup companies out there than you can even count these days!

If you do a search on this board you'll see the names of lots of mineral makeup companies - many of them a lot smaller than the "big three" you mention, but who offer great customer service, reasonably priced samples, and a wonderful product as well.

Maria Laughing

Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:38 am      Reply with quote
Thank you all so much for your advice. I'm going to do more research on Jane Iredale, since she is also getting good reviews at some other forums.
But someone reminded me that I didn't really explain my skin type.
I'm 16 (female) and although, I don't have very oily skin that leads to big pimples....the oil that I do have on my skin leaves this really unnatural shine making my skintone uneven.
However, my skin is also really dry and flaky! And it's hard to find a good moisturizor that is very hydrating and yet won't emphasize this shine that I've got (but right now I'm using Cetaphil).
Anyway, whenever I put on my liquid foundation, because my skin is so dry, the make-up flakes up and bunches up...which I don't want my make-up to do!!
purpleturtle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:20 am      Reply with quote
ahh i can relate to you with the flakiness. I have dry skin as well...and cetaphil is the only moisturizer thats ever kept moisture in my skin...the liquid foundations would bring out any dryness in my skin. I used BE and the lightest shade was much too dark...wearing sunscreen under it was impossible (showed ANY dry spots i had), and it was wayyy too pearly. Mariav is right, there are so many other lines out there. I use aromaleigh...so far i like it much better.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:33 am      Reply with quote
Confused geez... im a BE user only because it really took out the reddnes that i have. using only 1 powder.. and i invested sooo much $$$ into it.. Shame on you now i want to try JI because of all the raves.. but i do like pure luxe but it does not take out the red unless i use on of those colored powders which i can see after putting on the foundation powder. i just cant win Brick wall
Arrow lassie 1234
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:18 pm      Reply with quote
Lassie -

I found that the Pure Luxe green stuff doesn't work for me either!

It didn't give the miracle coverage like everyone said.. but just the powders alone (after a few hours) soak into my skin to give it a more 'rosy' rather than red angry shade.
lassie1234
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:06 am      Reply with quote
Rolling Eyes HATED IT !!!!
Arrow lassie 1234
Mariav
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:34 pm      Reply with quote
Lassie -

If BE is working for you, that's great!!! Maybe when you're all done with your stash you can give the JI a whirl and see if you like it as much. Or, if you go go skin-etc. (I think) you can get samples of JI so you could do a comparison cheaply enough. Laughing

My skin can not tolerate any minerals with bismuth in them, so for me neither JI or BE was a go....however, thank goodness for the smaller lines who offer mmu withouth the bismuth.

For the record, the only product that I really got to work for me in Pure Luxe is the Line Eraser - I couldn't use the green powder either. Crying or Very sad However, PL does have some very nice blush and shadow colors!

Maria Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:44 pm      Reply with quote
:)hi, they do sell samples of JI on ebay.. i tried the pure luxe eraser and i hated it.. but my friend loves it.. she says it really covers her pores..i think i will try the JI next. i have so much BE now. and something burns on my eyelids when sweating when i have make up on.. wonder if its the BE ? i dont need BE eyeshadows. i just like it because it really gets my redness out. so i think its a life saver for my face anyway. cant live without the bisque. well rested from BE is also good for mixing and conceler..
Arrow lassie 1234
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:29 am      Reply with quote
lassie1234 wrote:
Confused geez... im a BE user only because it really took out the reddnes that i have.
The thing about redness on the skin -- I have a problem with that too, especially around my nose/cheek area -- is that you need to use a makeup that is more yellow-based to counteract the redness. Before I discovered mineral makeup, I tried all of those green colored primers and/or concealors that are supposed to cancel out redness, but all they ever did was make me look Frankinstein's (green-complected) wife!!

For what it's worth, now I use JI's pressed base (my perfect shade is "Amber") and since I've been using it I've more or less forgotten that I have issues with redness because I don't see it anymore!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:33 am      Reply with quote
P.S. As Maria said, you can order as many samples of Jane Iredale pressed or loose foundation samples fromwww.skin-etc.com for $3 apiece, plus a flat S&H charge of $5 no matter how many samples you buy and they ship super-fast (i.e.: within 2 days within the lower 48 states) and the best part is that the samples are generous enough that they’ll last at least a month with daily use!

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:00 am      Reply with quote
I am 43 with dry skin and JI is too drying. BE works but I like the glow which some do not. I sell my own line which is similiar to BE that I love. It depends on you skintype and if you like a matte or shimmer look. I LOVE glow so I don't like any matte foundations. Since your 16 yrs old I wouldn't spend alot and JI is $$$. Try Melange, BE, Aromaleigh samples first if possible. Let us know what you end up liking! Smile

Another suggestion, that I do and love is using a tinted moisturizer like Wet n Wild, $2.99! first and minerals on top, a nice polished look.

Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:30 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |