Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
baffled by skin rash/bumps
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Mariav
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:23 pm      Reply with quote
I can't figure out what's going on, so I have decided to strip everything down to as basic as I can so I can see what the heck is going on with my skin.

On the right side of my nose is a bunch of teeny tiny bumps - not pimples - almost looks like a rash, and right under my nose as well. Nowhere else on the face, and more pronounced on the right, but it's on the left too. It almost looks like a heat rash, but it's not.

Could it be the Vitamin C?

What about titanium dioxide or zinc?

It's baffling me. The rash is nowhere else on my face - if it were an allergic reaction to something, why wouldn't I get it all over my face?

I'm just going to back off everything for now, but I want to say that this is going back a couple of months now. At first I thought it was silicones from the Olay Regenerist, so I stopped using it, but the bumps are still there...I really don't think it's my PSF skincare, b/c I had the bumps before I started using it and everything in the line is so gentle. The only thing I can think of is either my mineral makeup (please NOOOOOO!!!!)or the vitamin C, so the test is on...

Anyone have this problem?

Maria Rolling Eyes

Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:23 pm      Reply with quote
Could they be congested pores perhaps? I'm grasping at straws here but any little bumps on my face are almost always congested pores. They go away with some AHA use or using Essential Balm for a while (or both!). If it is clogged pores then even if you stop using the product that did it you may have to wait for some time for the bumps to go away.

Btw, when I used one of the Origins products (laden with silicone) I had red bumps on my chin and around the mouth and nose. They were weird because they kind of appeared and disappeared whenever they felt like it but it took weeks for them to go away completely after I stopped using the serum - I was then silly enough to try it again (just to make sure) and the same thing happened.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:18 am      Reply with quote
Maria, does the area itch? Itching would surely indicate an allergy. You could always try taking Benedryl before bed and see if it helps. Benedryl also has a cream. Good luck.
choccielab

Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:59 am      Reply with quote
Maria
I also seem to have the same problem as you.
Small 'pin head' size bumps mainly on the right side of my face above my upper lip - with flaky skin around my nose.

Have been to my Doctor twice, and he diagnosed dermatitis (typically I cannot remember the exact name).

I was prescribed two different creams to try - (1) 'Anabact' Gel (Metronidazole Ph Eur 0.75% w/w
(2) 'Daktacort' Ointment (Miconazole nitrate 2% w/w, hydrocortisone 1% w/w)

Neither of the above made absolutely any difference to me, in fact if anything the rash is worse than ever.

I feel that my Doctor did not take me seriously and thought I was a neurotic 40 yr old as the rash is les than a 5p size (a dime).

However, decided to try and self diagnose this morning and came across a site naming my rash as seborrheic dermatitis- one of the posters suggested trying Nizoral (shampoo) and leaving it on the face for a few minutes. So I am now off to my local chemist to buy this shampoo ( I have used it on and off over the last few years when my scalp has been a bit flaky - but never thought of using it on my face).

I will post the active ingredients later as I know not everyone is in the UK and will update in a few days when I have tried the shampoo.

Smile Smile
Mariav
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:43 am      Reply with quote
[quote="Mabsy"]Could they be congested pores perhaps? I'm grasping at straws here but any little bumps on my face are almost always congested pores. They go away with some AHA use or using Essential Balm for a while (or both!). If it is clogged pores then even if you stop using the product that did it you may have to wait for some time for the bumps to go away.

Hmmmmm....that actually makes sense as it's only around the nose area. I wonder if my pores are congested. I mean, these are teeny, teeny bumps, but it's driving me crazy...Any recs on AHA's? I'm not familiar w/Essential Balm, but it sounds good.

Thanks, Mabsy.

Maria

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:45 am      Reply with quote
Winnie wrote:
Maria, does the area itch? Itching would surely indicate an allergy. You could always try taking Benedryl before bed and see if it helps. Benedryl also has a cream. Good luck.

Def. no itch, Dottie. Just teeny, tiny bumps from the top of the side of my nose, then right under my nose. You have to look in the light to see it...I wonder if it is clogged pores like Mabsy thought? I've never had it before, but with the list of products I've used on my face in the past year or so, anything is possible.

Thanks! Maria

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:48 am      Reply with quote
Choccielab -

Hmmm...another interesting thought. I've heard of Nizoral. My husband uses Selsen Blue for some kind of back fungus that he gets in the summer. I wonder if the ingredients are the same.

Thanks for the info!

Maria Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:37 am      Reply with quote
I had a simular rash about 6 months ago. My dermatologist diagnosed it perioral dermatitis. This type of rash appears around the mouth or on the sides of the nose. The bumps were small and red and the skin looked a bit like it had been burned. The doctor prescribed a hydrocortisone cream and some pills (don't remember the name). After 2 weeks using only the cream the rash was completely gone (I was told only to use the pills if the rash came back). I think this could be what you have (since you have had it for so long). If it's not treated it could last for months or years, so I think you should see a dermatologist if you haven't done so already.
maddy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:53 pm      Reply with quote
I had a similar rash over chin area- also diagnosed as dermatitis. It was stress induced (that sounds so crazy), so this may also be the cause of your breakout and not the products you are using. The GP prescribed some anti-acne gel that dried it out and cleared it up, however my skin has never gone back to normal since. Would recommend getting it checked, even if you have never had dermatitis before as I hadn't.

Hope this helps a bit-

maddy
pbsadhaka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:37 pm      Reply with quote
Maria,
How long were you using the Regenerist for before you got the bumps? The reason I'm asking is that I can't use anything with silicone oils in it. I get congested pores that look just like the bumps that you described. I tried that Estee Lauder Perfectionist CP+ It had silicone oils in it.
Even after I stopped using it the bumps were there. They didn't go away until I did a peel & started using AHA's regularly. Can you go to a derm?

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:03 pm      Reply with quote
pbsadhaka wrote:
Maria,
How long were you using the Regenerist for before you got the bumps? The reason I'm asking is that I can't use anything with silicone oils in it. I get congested pores that look just like the bumps that you described. I tried that Estee Lauder Perfectionist CP+ It had silicone oils in it.
Even after I stopped using it the bumps were there. They didn't go away until I did a peel & started using AHA's regularly. Can you go to a derm?

Hey Darren -

I was using the Regenerist awhile - but didn't really notice the bumps until a few months ago, so after concluding that it was probably the silicones, (on my own Laughing ) that it was the silicones, I stopped - but the bumps are still here to this day. I did the Pumpkin Peel today - (FABULOUS!!!. Is that the kind of peel you recommend, or something else....Any suggestions for AHAs???? Mabsy also suggested Essential Balm which I'm not familiar with.

Thanks for the advice.

Maria

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:23 pm      Reply with quote
The pumpkin peel is good, but it will give slower, more cumulative results. I did a salicylic acid peel, then used the papaya cleanser daily for a couple of weeks b/c of the AHA complex in it. It cleared up & never came back. But you may have something different. Is there any way you can go to a dermatologist or esthetician for a consultation? It's just that it could be so many different things.
Do you have any AHA products lying around that you could try in the meantime?

Sun Aug 21, 2005 4:30 am      Reply with quote
If you have any AHA products, particularily ones that might also have BHA in them, then try as a spot treatment. I think any exfoliation should be good at this stage. The Essential Balm I'm talking about is the one by Decleor - it mainly used for congested pores. Does work very well (though not overnight) and leaves skin nice and glowy in the morning.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 21, 2005 5:40 am      Reply with quote
Mabsy wrote:
If you have any AHA products, particularily ones that might also have BHA in them, then try as a spot treatment. I think any exfoliation should be good at this stage. The Essential Balm I'm talking about is the one by Decleor - it mainly used for congested pores. Does work very well (though not overnight) and leaves skin nice and glowy in the morning.

Okay, thanks for the Decleor Rec. Sounds good and Iwill try it. No, I don't have any AHA products (I don't think...I'll check one of my overflowing drawers Laughing ) but I do have a sample of Active Serum from ISC. I wonder if that counts? Certainly not enough in there tho to help probably.

Thanks, Mabsy.

Maria

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 21, 2005 5:44 am      Reply with quote
pbsadhaka wrote:
The pumpkin peel is good, but it will give slower, more cumulative results. I did a salicylic acid peel, then used the papaya cleanser daily for a couple of weeks b/c of the AHA complex in it. It cleared up & never came back. But you may have something different. Is there any way you can go to a dermatologist or esthetician for a consultation? It's just that it could be so many different things.
Do you have any AHA products lying around that you could try in the meantime?

Darren - I gotta say that the derm I went to previously is pretty useless. I do have to get another one. I had gone to an estheticican who had mentioned that "it looks like you've got a little rash over here" but that was it!!!! Never recommended any products or anything! Time for a new one there too I guess!!!

I have lots of samples of the Papaya Cleanser and I'll switch off for a while from the Green Tea cleanser. In the meantime, I'll see if I can get my hands on some decent AHA products and find myself a new estetician/derm.

Thanks again.

Maria

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:43 am      Reply with quote
Wow! They sure didn't help much! If I were you, I'd switch to the papaya cleanser since it does contain an AHA complex, Mabsy's suggestion about BHA is right on too. See if you can find an OTC salicylic treatment gel (probably around 2%). You should be able to get one by Neutrogena or Clean & Clear pretty inexpensive. Try Target or WalMart. If that doesn't help (after about 2 weeks), then I would find a new derm. It could be anything from like sebaceous dermatitis to a topical yeast infection. It could be so many things....

Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:55 am      Reply with quote
Mariav wrote:
No, I don't have any AHA products (I don't think...I'll check one of my overflowing drawers Laughing ) but I do have a sample of Active Serum from ISC. I wonder if that counts? Certainly not enough in there tho to help probably.

Yes! I think the Active Serum is 10% AHA and 2% BHA if I am not mistaken.

Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:08 am      Reply with quote
Update Idea Idea Nizoral Shampoo (ketoconazole 20mg/g) Idea Idea

Bought the Nizoral shampoo (yes I know I am clutching at straws here) and tried it this morning - obviously to soon to tell, though I definitely think the area does not look so red/inflamed.

I have made an appointment with my Doctor for a referral to a Dermatologist - but goodness knows how long this will take. So will keep reading the forum for tips.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:54 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |