Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Help with hot weather makeup
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Hope
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:22 pm      Reply with quote
It's August in Texas, and that means heat, heat, and more heat. Today it was "officially" 103F with a heat/humidity index of 109F, but many cities in the area were several degrees hotter.

As there's no end to the heat in sight, I need help in keeping my makeup from sliding off my face. I have dry skin, and it's really not oil production as much as it is plain old sweat that's causing the problem. Even though I'm not outside much at all, getting into a hot car and driving a few miles doesn't give the air conditioner enough time to cool the car down inside, so I usually arrive at my destination dripping. By noon, my makeup has mostly disappeared.

I've pared down my makeup to the bare essentials - concealer, Neutrogena Healthy Defense tinted moisturizer with SPF30, Jane Iredale loose power, eyeliner, tinted lip balm, and a Lamas lash masque/Ardell lash growth accelerator combo on my eyelashes (which promptly melted into a black smudge under my eyes today).

Is there anything that will give the JI more staying power? Any sweat-proof foundation recommendations? Any mascaras that won't end up underneath my eyes in an hour's time? Would blotting papers help, or do they just work for oil?

How do the rest of you in hot climates handle these issues?
betterat40
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:02 pm      Reply with quote
Clinique has make-up that is fairly sweatproof - Superfit is one and Workout makeup is the other. They both work well. They are fairly heavy though. I'd ask for samples at the Clinique counter to see which you prefer.
Hope
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:46 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the tip. I haven't tried Clinique products before, but I'll stop by their counter and check these out.
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:15 am      Reply with quote
I've heard that BE Mineral Veil is supposed to prolong BE foundation. Maybe it would work with JI for you too. Has anyone tried this?

I intend to give it a go myself in future, but have no experience with it yet, I'm afraid.

Era Classified Cosmetics spray foundation has excellent staying power. Not that we're having much chance of trying that in hot weather conditions in the UK at the moment! Shock Very Happy
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:33 am      Reply with quote
Hey Hope –

I live down in Austin, but I can totally relate to the “Help me, I’m melting...” syndrome. I don’t know if this will help you much because I’ve got oily skin, but I’ve found the following to be helpful in getting my makeup to stay adhered to my face all day:

• Apply very thin layer of plain, unflavored Milk of Magnesia (yes, the laxative!) to my entire face to act as a sort of “primer,” then

• After waiting 45 seconds for the MoM to dry, I sweep on a thin layer of Jurlique Rose Silk Dust powder, then

• Apply my Jane Iredale pressed powder foundation, blush, lipstick, eye makeup, etc., then

• Sweep on another layer of Silk Dust to set everything.

Another thought just occurred to me: have you ever tried using a makeup/foundation primer before applying your tinted moisturizer, maybe something like the Smashbox primer? I can’t remember the exact product name, but I recall seeing some product reviews and/or discussions regarding it recently so you might want to try performing a search using “Smashbox” and/or “primer” as the key words. If memory serves me right, Smashbox Studios developed this primer because they had problems with their models’ makeup melting away under the blindingly hot lights and resulting heat generated by the necessary lighting found in TV and/or photography studios, so presumably if the Smashbox primer can help makeup withstand those type of conditioners, theoretically it should also be able to help us Texans keep our foundation from sliding off of our faces and running down our necks to stain the collars of our shirts!!

For my lashes, I also use the Ardell Lash Growth Accelerator, but I don’t apply anything else on top it because I tint my lash at home (see my product review of the DIY “1000 Hours Lash Tint Kit” for details) so I no longer need to wear a traditional mascara to give color to my lashes. I would suggest that you think about investing in this lash tint kit, or else find a salon in DFW that can tint your lashes so that this way you’ll only need to wear the Ardell to give your lashes a little definition and added gloss.

If tinting your lashes isn’t an option, then here’s another couple suggestions: 1) Do not apply any mascara or Lamas Lash Masque to your lower lashes whatsoever, because I’ve found that once I begin to sweat, the colored mascara starts melting away from the bottom lashes first, resulting in those lovely little raccoon smudges.

If you *must* wear mascara on your lower lashes, then you need to make sure that it’s a waterproof or water resistant formula, although my own eye area is so naturally oily that even the most stubborn waterproof mascara would still melt into undereye smudges regardless of how hot or cold it might be outside!

In this kind of weather in TX, about the only mascara that isn’t going to turn in to a soupy mess under your eyes as the heat of the day progresses would be a waterproof version, but obviously daily use of that type of mascara can be very drying and damaging to the lashes – which is all the more reason that you need to use a lash conditioner like the Ardell on a daily basis. This is yet another reason why tinting your lashes and only wearing Ardell as a sort of “clear mascara” a great idea....

Hope some of this info will prove helpful to you, and here’s hoping the unbearably hot weather doesn’t last through until mid-November the way it has the last couple years!

Carrie

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:28 pm      Reply with quote
Ah,Carrie - you can relate! I will definitely try some of the suggestions. The milk of magnesia sounds, um, interesting to say the least, but I'll see if we've got some around the house and give it a whirl.

I've been meaning to try the Smashbox primer anyway, so I will definitely check this out. And, based on everyone's rave reviews, I now have a 1000 hours lash tint on its way to me, so I'm crossing my fingers that it will resolve the mascara issue.

Does the Jurlique or the Mineral Veil look "powdery" on the skin or settle into lines? I've never been fond of powder in general for this reason (I was extremely reluctant to try mineral makeup at first) and I've never used any of the powders on top of the JI loose minerals.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I hope I can get through the next couple of months until we have our two weeks of Fall and then go straight into Winter.
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:19 am      Reply with quote
Hope wrote:
Does the Jurlique or the Mineral Veil look "powdery" on the skin or settle into lines? I've never been fond of powder in general for this reason (I was extremely reluctant to try mineral makeup at first) and I've never used any of the powders on top of the JI loose minerals.
I can't speak for Mineral Veil, but the Jurlique Silk Dust does not look powdery at all! Even though it actually *is* a pure white powder, provided you don't go overboard when applying it -- a light, fluffy brush, lightly dusted with powder in sweeping strokes will NOT leave you looking like a Geisha girl!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:01 am      Reply with quote
Hope wrote:
I hope I can get through the next couple of months until we have our two weeks of Fall and then go straight into Winter.

P.S. I think you mean, “two weeks of fall, followed by one week of winter, before summer starts again!!” Or maybe you get a few more cold days being 185 miles north of me...? Would you believe that the “autumn leaves” on the trees in my yard don’t actually start to change color to red/orange/brown until *February*?????? Shock How’s *that* for crazy weather?!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:22 am      Reply with quote
Oooh, just remembered to tell you that I found a great mascara that doesn't smudge, run or flake. Only problem is that you need to use waterproof eye makeup remover to take it off afterwards. It's the only thing I've tried so far that I can wear on my lower lashes without it migrating. It's YSL Aquaresistant and comes in a few colours, including a gorgeous deep purple.

Mind you, I'm hoping to eventually try the 1000 Hours Lash Tint that Carekate was talking about, as that would be an even easier solution.
Hope
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:15 am      Reply with quote
majorb - thanks for the suggestion. The YSL mascara sounds like it might be what I need until I can do the lash tinting. I've been reluctant to use a waterproof mascara (can't ever get the darn stuff off!) but it might not be too bad if I don't use it all the time.

Carrie - I'm going to Sephora today and will check out the Mineral Veil. If that doesn't do the trick, I'll look into ordering the Jurlique.

You're right about Texas weather. What I meant was that we have two weeks of what would be considered nice, fall-ish weather, then a "norther" blows through and drops the temp 30-40 degrees F in a day's time. From then on, it's a roller coaster of hot days followed by freezing cold days - on any given day in January, for example, we have an equal chance of it being 80F or 20F. Then we have two weeks of nice, spring-like weather before we go directly into the summer months of hot, hotter, hottest, and blast furnace.

Austin weather sounds even less predictable!
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:00 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |