Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

any one use Henna???
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
cbrooke
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:36 am      Reply with quote
Want to put a clear, shiny gloss on my hair...anyone know of any brands that sell this (I was thinking henna) Confused

Or any other suggestions how to give my hair a "boost" without doing the whole-head permenant hair color Smile
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:07 pm      Reply with quote
henna is red. The stuff they sell as clear henna isn't actually henna at all, but I think senna.

I have been browsing on the longhaircommunity.com forum and they have loads of great suggestions for hair. I've been experimenting with conditioner only washes and my hair is actually looking amazing AND all the awfull scalp itching and flaking has all but gone:D

I'm a very happy bunny indeed

Liz Cool

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:28 pm      Reply with quote
actually the red Henna (all shades of) is pure Henna.Theres black Henna too,but black Henna could be dangerous,cause it contais the dye stuff PPD(p-Phenylenediamine)...that means that you can verry verry easy get an bad allergical reaction and/or liver damages Confused
if you want a colorboost,i would suggest a special conditiner for your haircolor (like the John Frida line...and stuff) Wink

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:04 pm      Reply with quote
After having used henna for about 8 years I stopped because my hair was getting all dry and damaged. I have since found out that if you use the body grade henna which is"pure" henna, this wouldn't have happened. I used the body shop stuff and various others that apparantly contain metallic salts.

I'm seriously considering switching back to henna now after all this time using chemicals. Just not happy about the whole thing of havong a cow pat on the head for hours on end Confused

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:03 pm      Reply with quote
guapagirl, I used the body shop henna once. it turned out to be one nasty product.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:58 pm      Reply with quote
I have used henna for many years now since I had grey hair at an early age.....It is actually good for your hair. but does tend to dry hair a bit. If you want to use pure henna powder you dont have to many choices in colors...Henna itself gives a orange to dark red tint depending on how long you leave it on....but you cant really monitor all this too closely. Freshness and quality all play their part. there are some reputed Indian brands which sell good quality henna with some other herbs mixed in it....so you just need to mix water and let sit for certain time and put it on for 3-4 hours. I get it done by a professional at my home . It is certainly less messy that way and I can do whatever I want while waiting to shampoo...You can also add egg, coffee powder etc.
If you soak your henna in a Iron pot or something...the color somes out darker.
Eve
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:02 am      Reply with quote
Funny this should come up, I just hennaed my hair last night!

I get all my henna, indigo and cassia from here

http://www.hennaforhair.com

If you are looking for gloss and NO colour use cassia. Henna will stain anywhere from orange to red depending on freshness to what you mix with it to release the dye, how long you leave it on and of course your own hair, many ladies seem to find it gets more vibrant the more frequent you henna.
Indigo gives a black / blue stain, hard to use on it's own as it can look mucky..best used AFTER your henna if you want black hair OR mixed with henna to get brown. Phew!

If that wasn't confusing enough Laughing if you check out the link there are lots of mixes, photographs and a forum and pretty clear explanations of how to use it all.

Hope that's of some help.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:47 am      Reply with quote
HI Eve~ I am interested in cassia for glossing but am uncertain what to do with it? Is there another way of purchasing it besides getting it an oil form? Could I put it in shampoo? Confused

I used henna back when I was in college and then tried to use hair color over top. WRONG choice.....basically it turned an interesting shade of puke green. Shock (just thought I would share!)

Lisa

Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:29 pm      Reply with quote
I have used Henna for many years. Recently used Surya Henna (which is more like temporary/non bleaching color ) - it comes in many shades too. I liked it, especially the conditioner from Surya. Henna is good if not too many greys. Also gives a good "mahogany" tone if you have naturally dark hair.
Feliz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:24 pm      Reply with quote
Hi all,

I did hena my hair for years and did find out if you hena it, you will not be able to color it until all the hena is gone. Gone as in cut out or grown out.

I found with hena it looks so great the first month then awful later. I was told it coates the hair cuticle then as it fades it takes a bit of the cuticle damaging it.

I now use Aveda hair color and to touch up I buy their colored conditoners for my hair color.

Feliz
ajax
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:55 pm      Reply with quote
OK, I went to the website Eve mentioned and figured it all out. I purchased some of the cassia and it made my hair look great and feel great. It was slightly drying, but overall a success. I also purchased a sample of the amla(emblica)powder, so I think I will try that this weekend with some clove powder to darken up my overprocessing.

Does anyone know if you can color over the cassia?? Don'twant to make the same mistake twice!

Thanks!

Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:41 pm      Reply with quote
I did henna my hair (with one of the LUSH hennas) and had a good result but I found the color a bit boring after a while. I kinda like change in terms of hair colour and with henna you need to wait about 6 months before you can use normal ammonia based hair color again. Ditto going the other way around I think - otherwise you run the risk of your hair going green Confused

Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:31 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |