Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Prod Review - Japonesque Twin-pad Go-Curl Lash Curler
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:04 am      Reply with quote
~~~ FYI: I had originally posted this onto the tail-end of Lianne’s review of the Tweezerman Corner Lash Curler, but then it occurred to me that I should post it as a separate review, so for those of you who’ve already read this, please forgive me for being redundant... ~~~

carekate wrote:
I just got the Japonesque Go Curl Double Pad Lash Curler and I really like it except for one thing: the curler itself is made from black plastic, and since my lashes are also black (blue-black, if you want to be technical about it!), I can't really tell if I've got all my lashes lined up in the "cage" properly before I squeeze it to curl the lashes. Other than that, it's absolutely brilliant in design because it curls your lashes twice in the same stroke because of the way it's designed: two curved pads running parrallel to eachother, one slightly higher than the other. This serves to curl your lashes at the base, then again further up the shaft, so you don't have to manually curl the lashes twice on each eye. Does this make sense? I haven't had any caffiene yet this morning so I may be rambling (again!)....Bottom line: for an old-fashioned, clamp-style lash curler, this thing is the cat's meow. I just wish they'd come out with it in white or any other lighter color so it would be easier to see what I'm doing when I'm still half-asleep!

Mabsy wrote:
So, how does it compare to the "normal" heated curlers like the ModelCo for example? TIA Smile

Well...I think I’ve already made it pretty obvious when I’ve written about my beloved heated lash curlers, but normally I’m not a fan of the clamp-style lash curlers so for me to say that one is pretty good, it *must* be pretty good! Smile Seriously though, provided you can get your lashes lined up in the cage correctly, this clamp-type curler gives the most natural looking curl that I’ve seen from any clamp-type curler yet: a gentle sweeping curve, rather than a severely bent angle.

I’d say that this little Japonesque ranks right up there with my (formerly beloved) Eyecurl and the LashWand (though now I’m jones-ing to try a *new* heated curler I saw mentioned on MUA that is supposed to have a double-heating element – it’s also Japanese, called “National”), so if constant battery replacement is a concern with the LashWand, this might be the answer.

Again, my only rant is the black color makes it hard to see what you’re doing, but I may have been spoiled because I’ve previously been using a version of the mini GoCurl lash curler that I found for $3.99 from Luxor (the company that brought us the $10 version of the Diamancel foot file) and it’s made out of white plastic (the curling pad is black, though) which makes it super easy to tell that you’ve got all your lashes lined up correctly and are ready to be curled.

BTW, I only saw *one* review for this specific curler on MUA, and the reviewer was pretty much spot on with everything she said about it. Wait, I take that back, now there’s two reviews:
http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemID=57113/Double_Pad_Eyelash_Curler/Japonesque/Misc_Beauty_Tools/ The first review pretty much lists all the pros and cons. The only exception I have would be the way that she described the layout of the actual double-pads because she left out the part about the 2nd pad being slightly higher than the first (to curl the mid-way part of your lashes), but other than that, there really isn’t much I could add to her review.

The other thing I really like about the double-pad Japonesque is the fact that it pretty much holds the curl all day without having to do any touch-ups by mid-afternoon, but this could possibly also be attributed to the fact that – as you know – I use the Ardell lash stuff in lieu of a colored mascara and the Ardell seems to act as a sort of “setting lotion” for lashes that helps lock in the curl so it lasts all day.

Regardless, I’m really glad that I ignored my instincts – I don’t usually take the plunge and buy an item that I don’t know much about based on only one positive review) – and bought this curler at my local Ulta store. With tax, it came to about $13.50USD, which is actually less than Sephora sells their “plain” (i.e.: one-pad) GoCurl lash curler.

Oh, wait! I found another gripe about the Japonesque: I wish it came with a little plastic carrying pouch, like both the plain Sephora Go-Curl and my bargain-priced Luxor version. Those little pouches are really nice for keeping the curler from getting all gunky from lounging around inside one’s makeup bag.

For the record, the double-pad Japonesque Go-Curler is only slightly longer (2 3/4" in length) than the plain vanilla Go-Curl (2" long), but they’re both the same width (1 1/4"), so it isn’t going to hog up much space in your makeup bag due to it’s inherently compact design, especially when you compare it to one of these old-fashioned “scissor” design clamp-curlers.

Hmmm – since I seem to have written yet another magnum opus when I’d only meant to write a couple lines, perhaps this product deserves to have it’s own official EDS product review, rather than piggy-back it onto the end of Lianne’s Tweezerman review....

Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:17 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Carrie! I might try that one. Last time I checked there were 4 reviews of it on MUA (under "Go Curler" or something like that) http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemID=32021/Go_Curler/Japonesque/Misc_Beauty_Tools/ but I haven't seen the one you just pointed me to. I do trust your judgement though and I think I'm willing to live with no puch and all-black design... Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:04 am      Reply with quote
Mabsy wrote:
Last time I checked there were 4 reviews of it on MUA (under "Go Curler" or something like that) http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemID=32021/Go_Curler/Japonesque/Misc_Beauty_Tools/...
I checked the link you provided to the other MUA reviews and, just at a glance – based on the little photo of the product at the top, as well as the product name – I think those reviews are for the plain vanilla Japonesque Go-Curl, rather than the double-padded version, but I need to carefully read the posts just to be sure....

Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:28 am      Reply with quote
carekate wrote:
I checked the link you provided to the other MUA reviews and, just at a glance – based on the little photo of the product at the top, as well as the product name – I think those reviews are for the plain vanilla Japonesque Go-Curl, rather than the double-padded version, but I need to carefully read the posts just to be sure....

Sorry Carrie, you might be quite right on this. I didn't realise there was another one with a similar name and I have no idea what it's supposed to look like.

Looking forward to trying this Dancing Slightly displaced pads make lots of sense in an eye lash curler IMO

Sat Oct 01, 2005 5:09 am      Reply with quote
Carrie was nice enough to have got this for me and sent it over the big wet ocean for me to try Smile Thank you heaps as always Smile

I was really excited about this curler and was really looking forward to trying it but, after trying for a few days now, I simply can't get this to do anything for me and I keep pinching my eye lids all the time (ouchy!). I didn't think that the black would be a problem - but it is. I can't see the lashes that I grabbed. That's not the major problem for me - the main problem is that it block my vision from the eye I'm trying to curl the lashes on and that makes it more difficult for me to use this. The constant pinching of the eye lids is related because I think I have it in the right place but when I squeeze I figure out that it's too far back or at the wrong angle. When I do get this lined up properly, it still doesn't seem to do anything for me. No curl. I am also always worried that, because of how you're meant to hold it with the thumb on the bottom and index finger on the lever, it's going to fly out one day when my thumb slips and it's going to tear out a whole lot of lashes with it when it goes... Maybe I'm a clutz, maybe it's the shape of my eyes, but whatever it is, I can't get the hang of this. Which is a shame because the curler looks really cute plus it's tiny and flat so it's good for travel...

Laughing Laughing Laughing I'll tell you who loves this new curler though - and I am not kidding - .... ANTS! This is a true story. Every time I leave this on the bathroom counter it gets _attacked_ by little black ants. Ants are a problem in Australia - they get in your house instantly when they figure out that there is food lying around somewhere - it's always difficult keeping everything spotless so as to not attract them (they disappear as quickly as they appear too!). Anyway, the first few times I just thought it was odd but I noticed that there was a little bit of white powder on the curler so I thought that maybe I spilt something on it. I cleaned it up and the same thing happened except this time I noticed that all the ants (literally at least 50 tiny black ants) were congregating on the white pad and the replacement pad at the bottom of the curler. After I got rid of the ants, I had a look at the curler and again it was covered in white powder. I had a closer look at the white pad and it's no longer smooth like it used to be - the ants were *eating* it - they were attracted to it like to food and they were devouring this thing! The white powder was from the white curler pad! They didn't do much damage but it's noticeable that the pad is now a bit rough. So, whatever the pads are made of - the ants like it. So my warning to you to keep this away from ants or you'll go to use it one day and find that the pads have disappeared! Anxious Sorry for the long story but I couldn't believe my eyes when I finally figured out what was happening! I now store this in a zip-lock plastic bag (I know, I know!) while I try a few more times to get this to work for me (and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I figure out how to use this).

Carrie - any pointers? Is there a special way to hold this? At what angle do you use it? How hard do you press?

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 01, 2005 8:23 am      Reply with quote
It is a little known fact that Australian ants love to have curly eyelashes, so I'm assuming they got frustrated because the curler was pinching their lashes too, so in their aggravation, they decided to eat it instead. Laughing

Boy, that's odd Mabsy. Unfortunately, I had a similar experience with an eyelash curler, can't remember the name now, and though it got great reviews, I couldn't get it to work for me, was pinching the crap out of my eyes. I'm sure Carrie can give you helpful hints.

But, speaking of ants, late in the summer, I had gotten home from work and I was starving, and I was chatting with my daughter and stuck my hand in a box of cheerios to take a munch-full, only to find the box was FULL of ants!!! AAAAHHHHHHHH!!!! For some reason, they had found their way into the box. I freaked out, threw the box outside, and watched the little buggers crawl all over the place. Creeped me out BIG time! I ended up cleaning out the whole cupboard, but that's where they seemed to take up residence. At the end of the season, we always end up with zillions of lady bugs in the house too- but they don't bother me.

Maria Wink

Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:37 pm      Reply with quote
Mariav wrote:
It is a little known fact that Australian ants love to have curly eyelashes, so I'm assuming they got frustrated because the curler was pinching their lashes too, so in their aggravation, they decided to eat it instead. Laughing

rofl It would appear so!

I think having heaps of lady bugs in the house would freak me out - I've learnt to co-exist with ants (though I try to keep everything clean and spray for them too... hmm maybe co-exist isn't the right word then Laughing) but ants are tiny - lady bugs are bigger and also cute. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I saw it - probably catch it and let it outside (same thing I do with geckos).

ps. Tried the curler again this morning - tried and tried and tried, finally gave up and used the Shu Embarassed

Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:04 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |