Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
A Canadian Mineral Makeup! It's Wonderful!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:35 pm      Reply with quote
For my fellow Canadians ... who don't have easy access to the many Mineral Makeups available to our US sisters ... we now have our own!

It's called Cover FX ... and it's available in some Shoppers Drug Mart stores! I'm in rural Ontario ... and had to go to Brantford to find it ... and it's only in the largest Shoppers in Brantford ... but it's there!

It was developed by Sunnybrook Hospitals Dermatology Department ... and is recommended for anyone ... men and women.

You can read about the products at:

http://www.coverfx.com

I purchased the Powder Foundation ... and it was $35 ... which I didn't think was too bad a price.

I'm going to go back for the "bronzer" ... which I think is a blusher.

I love how it goes on ... and doesn't look "cakey" ... doesn't feel like heavy makeup ... and so far my skin seems to love it too.

I have very adult acne prone skin ... and it covers the redness and evens out the skin tones really well.

I have no association with either the company or Sunnybrook Hospital's Dermatology Department ... although I did grow up a couple of miles south of Sunnybrook Hospital. LOL

So ... if you're interested in Mineral Makeup ... at least we have a "home grown" one.

Oh ... and Shoppers also carries the Physician's Formula mineral makeup ... although I only saw the "pressed powder" one. I don't think it's a "powder foundation" like the Cover FX ... but it's another choice.

Mary
anya
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:58 pm      Reply with quote
I'll check it out next time in my local Shoppers' Mary - thanks Smile . I'm curious about Lip FX - it "reads" like it might be an alternative to Lip Fusion.

Anya
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:57 pm      Reply with quote
Actually I bought the Cover FX cover cream foundation for my redness but it doesn't seem to do much help. It looks so white and fake! As for your powder foundation, is it made from mineral? How's the coverage? A sales lady in Shoppers Drug Mart applied the powder foundation on me once but it doesn't seem to cover much, it kinda looks sheer to me. So I was wondering are there any techniques in applying it? Thanks! Smile
faith
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:43 pm      Reply with quote
Stardustdy wrote:
Actually I bought the Cover FX cover cream foundation for my redness but it doesn't seem to do much help. It looks so white and fake! As for your powder foundation, is it made from mineral? How's the coverage? A sales lady in Shoppers Drug Mart applied the powder foundation on me once but it doesn't seem to cover much, it kinda looks sheer to me. So I was wondering are there any techniques in applying it? Thanks! Smile

Well, as with all minerals, it is important to get the right foundation colour. Sheer is fine, IMO. As to get coverage, light layering works best. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:28 am      Reply with quote
Wow, this is great! And that website is cool, informative and nice to look at. Thanks for this info, we sure are mineral make-up deprived here in Canada.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:46 pm      Reply with quote
Faith, I did get a color match from the store when I bought the foundation. She said that's the closest shade to me but still when I applied at home, it looks too white and fake, I feel like I'm wearing a mask. It can cover the redness if I applied a thick layer, but it looks totally too white and fake. It doesn't look natural at all and it doesn't cover anything unlike what that website says. Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone here try this foundation before? If so, how's the results? Thank you so much! Smile
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:48 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Stardustdy,

When I went to get my powder foundation, I got the impression that the sales girl was "new" to the line ... and given that it's a relatively new product, I suppose that's to be expected.

However, she applied the two closest colours to my cheek [side by side] and then I took the mirror and went outside. [I found out long ago that makeup looks very different under flourescent lighting!]

So ... I basically did what I've always done ... I looked at the colours under "natural" lighting [it was quite bright out when I went.]

One looked slightly too light a shade ... and the other looked darker and seemed to match the overall colour of my face better ... so I selected the darker one.

When I put it on, I use a brush to put a layer all over my face. I then take a small "touch up" brush and apply a layer just over whatever red spots I've got ... and then I blend with a brush. If the red spots aren't well enough concealed, I use the "touch up" brush again until I achieve what I'm after.

I then very lightly brush a bit over everything again.

Initially it looks very matte and even a little "dry" ... but within a very few minutes, it seems to "settle" and looks very natural. That may not be the best way to describe it ... but suffice it to say that it very quickly looks very natural.

I didn't get the "bronzer" to go with it ... but I'm going to this weekend as my old blush doesn't seem to work well with the minerals and by the end of the day I tend not to like where the blush has been applied. However, I'm not one to touch up my makeup during the day and driving home, the CoverFX seems to still be pretty stable. Sometimes a couple of the red areas have become a little less hidden [which says that I should perhaps BECOME one of those women who touch up their makeup during the day! LOL] ... at least to me ... but the rest of it looks great.

Of course I AM one of those people who tends to touch their face from time to time ... and I AM working on not doing that any more. So ... I really don't know if the red marks not being so well hidden by the end of the day is the fault of the powder foundation ... or the fault of my hands touching my face at those areas.

I'm sorry that you didn't get a good match ... and it's annoying to spend $35 and end up feeling it was a waste of money.

Since my face seems to be lighter in the winter time ... I had thought of purchasing the next colour lighter and mixing the two during the winter.

The girl did think that my skin colour was right in between two of the colours ... so perhaps you're the same? Maybe if you get the next shade darker, you'll find that you like the look of the two of them combined.

The Powder Foundation is listed as giving "light to medium" coverage ... so perhaps you need their product for "medium to heavy" coverage.

Sorry I've gone on and on about this. I'm very impressed with this mineral makeup so far ... and plan to get the bronzer next.

Mary
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:25 am      Reply with quote
Thanks hpjrt (Mary)!! I'm glad that the powder foundation works so well for you Smile I still have some questions if you don't mind Wink Since I have some flakiness on my nose and cheeks, I'm afraid that it might look cakey or flaky. So does the foundation look natural on your skin? Can people tell that you have anything on? Does it cover pores well? And is it hard to remove this foundation? Cuz I'm so afraid of foundation that's so hard to remove. Sorry for all those questions. I hope you can answer them. Thank you! Laughing
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:40 am      Reply with quote
Hi again Stardustdy,

Well ... I'll try to answer your questions. LOL

Now ... as for the flakiness, I really don't feel qualified to answer that one ... because flakiness isn't something with which I've ever had to deal! LOL My skin is on the oily side ...

I would think, however, that if you are using the right moisturizer for you ... then that flakiness shouldn't be there ... should it?

I would think that the flakiness would still look like flakiness with the powder foundation on ... but that's not from personal experience. I just figure you add a powder to something that's already overly dry and you aren't going to conceal the dryness.

CoverFX does have a liquid foundation as well ... and it's mineral as well ... so perhaps that's the right product for you. Or perhaps someone else on the board could better respond to this one.

As for removal ... it's not difficult at all. I'm using the Oil Cleansing Method ... which has begun to do wonders for my skin ... and the mineral makeup is swept away with the oil. Any good cleansing system, however, should take care of the mineral makeup just as it does any other kind. In fact, I'd suspect that the mineral makeup [at least the powder foundation] would be easier to remove than some of the run-of-the-mill makeups out there. Since it doesn't clog your pores ... the CoverFX isn't left behind in the pores to become problems later.

In terms of coverage ... yes it covers the pores ... but if you're like me and have somewhat larger pores, it's not going to "hide" them per se ... what it does, though, is make everything look "even toned" ... and so, at least from a distance, no one is going to think "My God that woman has large pores!"

Can people tell I have anything on?

This is no more obvious than any other makeup I've ever worn ... except that it is better at it.

I'm not one to use a great deal of makeup in overly obvious shades. I don't wear turquoise eye shadow ... or false eyelashes ... or bright pink blush. Never have.

The result with the CoverFX is, when I'm done, fairly natural looking. I like to have a slight "blush" to my cheeks ... but I tend to blend, blend, blend so that my cheeks look "healthy" as opposed to how my grandmother looked when she used rouge.

I don't know if people can tell I'm wearing makeup ... no one has said anything ... but then would they?

I actually haven't worn makeup for the last couple of years ... because the "old" makeup seemed to create at least as many problems as I was trying to solve with it. Because of that, I would think that people might look and think [hopefully] ... "Her face looks nice."

... but if anyone is actually thinking "Good grief ... someone should tell her that she looks like a clown!" ... no one has actually voiced that to me.

The truth is, I am of the firm conviction that other people aren't nearly as concerned with how I look ... or how my makeup looks ... as I might like to think.

I apply my makeup to suit me ... it has to conform to my concept of "natural" and the overall effect has to please me. If I think I've applied too much of anything ... I'll remove it and re-apply to suit what I think is correct for me.

I might be overly cautious in my makeup application ... but I have to be comfortable with the result.

And let's not kid ourselves ... after I have applied my makeup ... if I pick up my 12X magnifying mirror ... I can still tell where all the spots are that I've covered. However, when I put that magnifying mirror away and look at my face as a whole in the bathroom mirror ... with my glasses on LOL ... I'm very satisfied with the overall effect.

Better yet ... the mineral makeup really hasn't added to my skin problems as others have done in the past. That alone is worth a great deal.

The overall even look to my skin tone after application was quite startling ... and made the overall appearance of my face "clear" looking.

Once I feel that I look "good" by my own standards ... I can then forget about my face for the rest of the day.

I hope I've answered your questions. I've tried ... but I can only truly answer based on my limited experience with my own skin conditions.

Mineral Makeup isn't "magic" but it seems to be the next best thing. LOL

Mary
Lolli
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:00 pm      Reply with quote
Mary, this stuff sounds great! Of course, our little Shoppers doesn't have it but I'm travelling in two weeks south Vancouver Island, hopefully somewhere down there will have it so I can check it out. Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:35 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Lolli,

I went to their site [www.coverfx.com]and clicked on "locations" ...

Here is the link to the page with the locations within BC that carry the line.

http://www.coverfx.com/locations/textParse.php

At least I hope that gets you the same information that I am looking at! LOL If not ... just put the name of a BC city into the "search" box and the list will come up for you.

Good luck!

Mary
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:45 am      Reply with quote
Thank you Mary! Very Happy I guess I might go ahead and give this mineral makeup a try. I can always return it in Shoppers if I don't like it...hehe Think
Kimmy
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:03 pm      Reply with quote
I just recently purchased the CoverFx line from Shoppers. I was psyched to hear that we had mineral makeup in Canada and within walking distance from my house! Very Happy
I have the cream foundation (coverfx) and the pressed power foundation (powderfx), but when layered together they look too heavy. So the cream one is great as a concealer and powder for allover. I didn't pick up the setting powder, though, has anyone else tried it out?

Also, I've been reading about 'spritzing' afterward to set the makeup but have never tried it. What's a good product to use for this?

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:18 am      Reply with quote
I use and really like Jane Iredale's D2O Spray, but I think I remember reading some tips for making your own in the DIY thread, so you might like to take a look through there.
Lara1
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:40 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the info Smile ! Great site! I was looking for mineral make-up, and now I can buy it in Canada!!!

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:59 pm      Reply with quote
I was just looking at the ingredients on the coverfx powder foundation, and the first ingredient is talc!! I was pretty sure that most mineral makeups didn't use talc, but I do like this powder. I have found that it's really quite nice on its own or overtop of a concealer. I'm curious to see what bare escentials would be like though in comparison, so I may get the starter kit from sephora!

Oh man this site has made me spend so much money! But I love it!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:27 pm      Reply with quote
I've seen this line at Shoppers, will have to give it a try.
smileplse

Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:13 pm      Reply with quote
Has anyone tried Sheercover? I saw it on the television today. It is almost like coverfx or bare ess.
Kimmy
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:25 pm      Reply with quote
Oh sheercover. What a story that is! I ordered the light starter kit, and both were too dark for me, so I emailed them and asked if there was a lighter shade. They said they would send it to me, free of charge (i am still waiting for it). Then a few weeks later I see that my credit card was charged for it, and another package (apparently I was enrolled in the automoatic delivery).
So, I called to ask what was going on, and they said they'd sent another light kit (which is the wrong colour) and that it was all on its way. I am in the middle of moving, so I asked to change my address. They told me they would put a freeze on my account for another month, and wait for me to call them to send the next months supply, despite my urges to be unenrolled. (they're rather pushy, you know)
So now I have moved, and have not received the lighter shade, or the second package and must figure out where it went before I can send it all back, and still be charged for the shipping and handling of all of it!
I was not impressed with this company, and will not be ordering anything again from guthy renker! (however you spell it)
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:37 pm      Reply with quote
Kimmy wrote:
Oh sheercover. What a story that is! I ordered the light starter kit, and both were too dark for me, so I emailed them and asked if there was a lighter shade. They said they would send it to me, free of charge (i am still waiting for it). Then a few weeks later I see that my credit card was charged for it, and another package (apparently I was enrolled in the automoatic delivery).
So, I called to ask what was going on, and they said they'd sent another light kit (which is the wrong colour) and that it was all on its way. I am in the middle of moving, so I asked to change my address. They told me they would put a freeze on my account for another month, and wait for me to call them to send the next months supply, despite my urges to be unenrolled. (they're rather pushy, you know)
So now I have moved, and have not received the lighter shade, or the second package and must figure out where it went before I can send it all back, and still be charged for the shipping and handling of all of it!
I was not impressed with this company, and will not be ordering anything again from guthy renker! (however you spell it)

I was thinking of trying Sheer Cover (as an alternative to my MAC stuff). Now that you've reminded me, I had a bad experience with Guthy Renker too but it was for Proactiv. It was the whole auto-ship thing. I told them that I wanted to cancel but they just put my account on hold for six months and then I got billed again. Sad
Caspers Mum

Wed May 03, 2006 8:12 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you for mentioning Cover FX! This is a line which I feel ought to be well-represented on the EDS website! I have passed-on my comments to the powers-that-be.

Cover-FX was, indeed, part of Sunnybrook Womens Hospital http://www.sunnybrook.ca/. This is one of the major research & treatment hospitals in this large nation.

Regardless of whether you support research or not, I will hope that you consider our sisters in the fight against breast (and other) Cancers.

I have just been through tests myself, for breast Cancer, and have a clean bill of health. Yahoo! Scary, but still ... "yahoo!"

Let me know if you want Cover-FX!

http://www.coverfx.com/index.html

P.S. Victor Casale, a biochemist, is also known as Julie TOSKAN-Lasale's hubby. "Toskan" as-in FRANK TOSKAN's sister & brother in-law. Frank Toskan: one of the creators of beloved (pre-Lauder) M.A.C . Vic was the science behind the art of Franks Toskan & Angelo. Vic used to cook the original M.A.C lipsticks, etc., on Frank T's kitchen stove. (I still have my letter from Julie Toskan-Lasale, from 12 years-ago.)
stardust
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 04, 2006 6:29 am      Reply with quote
A "yes" to the Cover-FX. Here in Canada it's readily available at SDM but many non-Canadians might be interested in a line that's got tons of color selections and good coverage. I certainly was impressed to find a shade that matched me! Very Happy

(Disclaimer: I don't work for the company but I'm all for boosting Canadian businesses.)
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 05, 2006 5:51 pm      Reply with quote
Now wait ladies. Here are MORE Canadian mineral makeup sites that you will love.

http://www.mineralcosmeticscanada.com/cosmetic_gift_certificates.html www.organiccosmetics.ca www.pureandsimple.ca

All websites carry mineral makeups in varying forms.
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 05, 2006 6:54 pm      Reply with quote
I go to Shoppers Drug Mart on a regular basis and yet I keep forgetting to check them out. Sad
Babs

Sun May 07, 2006 10:25 am      Reply with quote
Has anyone visited the Lili Lolo Site? I ordered some sample pots, and i have to say im very impressed, ive been using mineral foundation for a few months now and its the best foundation i have ever used.[/u][/i][/b]
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:08 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |