Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Demodex Mites causing Acne
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
jennys

Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:13 pm      Reply with quote
has anyone else had acne, that wouldnt go away? I did, and then I found out about how many cases of acne are caused by demodex mites. Well, Mine was, and then I found out about Xin Fumanling cream, a chinese remedy against Demodex. To find out more, check out http://www.demodex.info
Lucia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:09 am      Reply with quote
Ok, well I was intrigued about this as a Beauty Therapist and someone who had acne when I was younger, so I googled this. According to most of the sites that I found,Demodex mites are usually found in dogs and are the common cause of mange. They can infect humans but its normally transmission from a heavily infected pet but that this is extremely rare.
However I also found that apparently demodex mites are usually present on an estimated 90% of people but that in healthy individuals cause no problems, its only when other issues are apparent that they do any damage. http://www.hairsite.com/library/abst-46.htm

http://www.md.huji.ac.il/depts/parasitology/kosta/Demodex.htm

It's most common in puppies and dogs who have their immune system compromised by other pathological illnesses.

There is an article about demodex at the following link that also has pictures of a human who is infected after catching it from a dog who was heavily infested: http://www.thepetcenter.com/exa/dem.html

It does resemble acne but like I say most of the websites say that infestation of humans is VERY rare and caught off infected pets. The human in the article had to visit a dermatologist and had numerous topical and systemic treatment - full recovery took 6 months! So personally I would say if you suspect you may have caught this from a pooch I'd see a doctor first before you try anything yourself as it seems to be hard to get rid of!
I guess you could probaby use the products in the link above along side medical treatment if you wanted.
However, Interestignly there was an article saying that the incidence of Demodex mites is found in higher relative numbers in people. with rosacea but that it isn't usually the cause more that the mites have taken up residence in an already compromised and reactive skin: http://members.ozemail.com.au/~rosacea/rosacea-inflammation.htm
http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/indexmag.html?http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/artmay00/demodex.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demodex_mite

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:44 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Lucia for the interesting info.

Sometimes I wonder if I have something like that on me Embarassed

I have 'mild' rosacea, and was prescribed doxycyclene antibiotics but they reacted very badly with my body. So I never went through with them and saw no improvement.

I also have had a few rash breakouts this year, simlar to flea bites, but doc diagnosed it as allergy to dust mites/fleas which normal people could tolerate.

It's really hard to convince a doctor of another p.o.v when they already have their mind dead set on what condition you have!
Lucia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:41 am      Reply with quote
Miranets, Yes I know what you mean with Doctors, they seem to think that you'll just take at face value what they tell you and take it as a personal affront if you suggest anthing or tell them that you've done some research!!!
Bit off topic but need a rant!!LOL! Laughing
I'm having an issue with an old injury to my back (horseriding accident) I had extensive compression bruising all up my spine and an area of numness on my back but they refused at the time to send me for Xray as they kept telling me it was just bruising etc. Now three years down the line and ££££'s of Chiro/Physio I still have problems and numbness and my Physio and Chiro both want me to have an MRI as they suspect nerve damage and that I possibly had a compression fracture!!! - Doctor doesn't think I'm 'bad enough' to warrant one and tells me it's something I have to live with and to take pain killers!!! Grrrrr - all very well but it'd be nice to know what is going on. So looks like I'm going to have to go private! (So- called NHS is pants - apparently I have to be seriously disabled before they'll do anything!)

Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:47 pm      Reply with quote
hmm... Yes, a google search does reveal that dogs are the primary victims of Demodex. And talking to one of the 2 dermatoligists I spoke with, you would hear that Demodex doesnt live on people, and cause no problems at all. However, having had dreadful acne that wouldnt go away, and having tried Accutane, and Retin-A, and Proactive, I can tell you that THEY didnt work for my Acne. So I tried the Xin Fumanling cream. And it did. And while I did continue to use it for 6 months (they recommend that on their site, well, they recommend 4-6 months, depending on what KIND of demodex you have, but my doctor wouldnt test me, and I wasnt interested in a remission) I was mostly clear after 2 months (had the occasional mild outbreak over the next 4 months). So, I dont know. It worked for me, is all, I guess.
Lucia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:19 am      Reply with quote
Jenny - Well there are references on some of the sites I've listed that say that Demodex is present on almost all of the population but normally doesn't cause a problem unless there's something else - I guess you could have mild acne that then developes because the mites take hold in the inflammed environment.
I don't know - that's the problem with google - so much info - it can be great but also very confusing!!:O)

I'm so glad you found something that worked - I will certainly mention the product you mention to anyone who asks me about persistent acne - certainly worth a go!
Thanks for the info - really fascinating.

5% products discount

Sat May 06, 2006 8:34 pm      Reply with quote
anyone else have experience with demodex or facedoctor products?
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:15 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |