Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Hurricane Katrina
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:21 pm      Reply with quote
The destruction of Hurricane Katrina can't be put into words Crying or Very sad . To see the heartache it has caused thousands of people is so sad. When I watch the news I remind my self that it could be my family that is going though this now. To be safe, fed and protected at times is taken for granted. God Bless all effected by this monster storm. Pray

NEW ORLEANS (Aug. 31) - Authorities all but surrendered the streets of New Orleans to floodwaters, looting and other lawlessness Wednesday as the mayor called for a total evacuation and warned the death toll from Hurricane Katrina could reach into the thousands.

"We know there is a significant number of dead bodies in the water," and other people dead in attics, Mayor Ray Nagin said. Asked how many, he said: "Minimum, hundreds. Most likely, thousands."
katee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:37 pm      Reply with quote
Katrina would have been a horrible disaster under any circumstance... The force of nature is sometimes frightening.

But I'm just furious about the way this has been handled. Over the course of the weekend, the Mayor of N.O. made repeated pleas for evacuation. The poor man was distraught because no federal monies were provided to effect the evacuation. N.O. is a poor city, and many people simply didn't have the means. I also heard a number of experts say that, because of a lack of maintenance, etc. the levies that keep water out of this below sea level city were very likely to break. And, that's exactly what happened.

I just saw a news report that said that 100,000 of the city's 500,000 never made it out. So far, the Coast Guard has successfully rescued only 1,000. Right now, 80% of the city is under 20 feet of water. It's also the case that something like 70% of the deployable National Guard equipment and personnel are currently deployed in Iraq and Afghanistan, and therefore aren't available to help in the rescue effort. Some federal troops have been deployed to the area, NOT for rescue ops, but to try to keep order. I just saw the Mayor pleading with the President to issue an order that desperate people looting for food and supplies should not be shot.

Sighing.....

I'm really not making a political statement here. But, when I watched the footage of what occurred with the tsunami, it broke my heart. At the time, I thought that although there were some warnings that a tidal wave was likely to hit the region, that a lack of developed infrastructure meant that those warnings couldn't be delivered in time to save people. But this is the USA. We claim superpower status and are one of the most developed nations on the planet. We can do better. We can do much, much better....
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:51 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
We claim superpower status and are one of the most developed nations on the planet. We can do better. We can do much, much better....

I couldn't agree more. Mad
red head
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:08 pm      Reply with quote
I just hope that all the countries that we have helped over the many years reach out to us in America's time of need. We die just like the rest of the world. I pray that all the people in harms way will one day return to a "normal" life
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:22 pm      Reply with quote
Every little bit counts.

http://redcross.org/
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:02 am      Reply with quote
Katee your message was spot on!!
Watching it all on the news is just so unreal, my heart goes out to everyone effected.
We have been watching the American news feeds every night and i can't believe all O'Reilly can focus on is looting and how the police should be stopping them, if looting keeps them alive then good luck to them.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:08 am      Reply with quote
My thoughts are with you guys and everyone it has effected, unimaginable Crying or Very sad

When you see it on the news its unbelievable Crying or Very sad
Poppy
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:09 am      Reply with quote
red head...i believe I speak for many ppl in my country when I say our hearts go out to the disaster victims...not too long ago we went through the same tragedy with Tsunami and the rally of support we received have helped tremendously...

help need not always come from the government but can start from ppl like us right!

Thanks Winnie for reminding me to be grateful for my health & safety and taking my mind off less important things like my acne...
katee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:32 am      Reply with quote
I agree with Poppy that people can mobilize resources and support and make a huge difference in the face of any catastrophe.

But I absolutely DO NOT agree that help need not come from the government. It most certainly should. People's generosity can go a very long way in providing help for families material losses, etc etc. And simple human compassion can provide tremendous comfort when disaster strikes. But this is a situation that requires a fullscale military style (ala Army Corp of Engineers) effort. Infrastructure has to be rebuilt. Infrastructure that should have been built but never was should finally be constructed if we have learned our lesson.

I never complain about paying taxes. But, since I do pay them, I expect them to deployed when something like this occurs.
MsJam
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:33 am      Reply with quote
I can't believe that people are shooting the helicopters! You don't bite the hand that feeds you, I better stop watching the news. Shock
loopylori
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:34 am      Reply with quote
I would like to say my heart goes out to those affected by this disaster.
Another one of many to hit the world recently, lets hope that there are no more.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:53 am      Reply with quote
katee wrote:
Katrina would have been a horrible disaster under any circumstance... The force of nature is sometimes frightening.

But I'm just furious about the way this has been handled. Over the course of the weekend, the Mayor of N.O. made repeated pleas for evacuation. The poor man was distraught because no federal monies were provided to effect the evacuation. N.O. is a poor city, and many people simply didn't have the means. I also heard a number of experts say that, because of a lack of maintenance, etc. the levies that keep water out of this below sea level city were very likely to break. And, that's exactly what happened.

I just saw a news report that said that 100,000 of the city's 500,000 never made it out. So far, the Coast Guard has successfully rescued only 1,000. Right now, 80% of the city is under 20 feet of water. It's also the case that something like 70% of the deployable National Guard equipment and personnel are currently deployed in Iraq and Afghanistan, and therefore aren't available to help in the rescue effort. Some federal troops have been deployed to the area, NOT for rescue ops, but to try to keep order. I just saw the Mayor pleading with the President to issue an order that desperate people looting for food and supplies should not be shot.

Sighing.....

I'm really not making a political statement here. But, when I watched the footage of what occurred with the tsunami, it broke my heart. At the time, I thought that although there were some warnings that a tidal wave was likely to hit the region, that a lack of developed infrastructure meant that those warnings couldn't be delivered in time to save people. But this is the USA. We claim superpower status and are one of the most developed nations on the planet. We can do better. We can do much, much better....

katee, I agree totally. A lot of people didn't evacuate because they didn't have the means, no car, no where to go and no-one to stay with. I can totally understand why a lot wouldn't have gone to the stadium although now I'm sure a lot wish they had. The stadium became very quickly unliveable, I can't believe how little planning and resources were put into the evacuation and aftermath. I'm just blown away.

Our British Columbia government has sent a well trained distaster relief contingent, it's not much but even a little bit in the wake of chaos should help at least one person or family escape. I'm also going to call the ASPCA to donate specifically for shelters in effected areas, the critters are a lot of times forgotten. Sad

5% products discount

Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:16 pm      Reply with quote
My heart goes out to all those affected..... i was reading a local paper today which said that the hurricane was predicted in weather reports and if that is the case why was no one evacuated from the begining????

on a lighter note, i read a quote in the same article... 'when will bush start his war on weather!!!'
Lolli
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:40 pm      Reply with quote
Suki, I believe the evacuations were ordered days ago, people could go to the stadium, hotels were allowed to stay open and people to stay but a lot who should have didn't leave. Sad

I just saw the most heartbreaking video atwww.cnn.com. Not for the faint of heart but do think we need to see it. I understand they are using buses to get these people out but there is nothing for them while they wait. People are literally dying while they wait.

The clip link is on the main page, it's titled, "Death and despair in New Orleans" Sad

Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:32 pm      Reply with quote
I am glad someone decided to talk about this insanity. It's hard to wrap your head around the magnitude of this disaster. My heart screams for these people. I listen to NPR while at work and it's hard to swallow the tremendous amount of suffering going on and it's only getting worse. It has become a war zone with a 'survival of the fittest' mentality. People feel abandoned and scared and have resorted to massive looting. I don't have the answers, barely a suggestion on what to do about the situation. I'm not a religious person, but I have been 'praying' and visualizing peace for the people of the Gulf coast. Thank you for posting the red cross website. Every little bit DOES count. One World,One Love
Terihe
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:50 am      Reply with quote
A lot of the people who stayed in NOLA where poor people and people on disability. I am sick to my stomach about what is happening there. They did not have the means to leave. Why could we not have donated are help before the storm to help them leave. We could have set up evacuation efforts before the storm. Only after lives have been devasted do we get donations and the governments help to get them out. We definately need a change in the way we deal with this. We need preventive measures put into place. This needs to be part of our disaster plans. God Bless these people hit by the hurricane, those that are helping them, and all the people who are donating money. I am sorry, I just had to vent my feelings.
Lolli
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:42 pm      Reply with quote
I just read 1 in 6 NO residence don't own cars. How were they supposed to get out? I'm so sad. Last night I saw all those moms and babies, the babies had no milk, formula or even water, they say babies have died waiting for relief. I still can't believe this is happening in North America.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:30 pm      Reply with quote
Our hearts are breaking for all the people who lost their homes and we're praying that the refugees get the help they need before any more of them die. Our boss' home and businesses are in NO. Our cousin owns a restaurant in the quarter and spent the storm in the apartment upstairs - she and her daughter finally got out of the city. All our friends and family are accounted for but the property loss remains to be seen.

I just donated towww.noahswish.com They are helping animals abandoned in the area. I'm still trying to get onto the Salvation Army site. The adventure motorcycling forum we post on is matching all donations by its members!!

Canadian navy heads to New Orleans on Tuesday
HALIFAX (CP) - Defence Minister Bill Graham says three warships and a coast guard vessel are being packed with relief supplies and will be sent to Louisiana on Tuesday.
The ships, which will also carry 1,000 personnel, are expected to arrive in the Gulf of Mexico three to four days after departing from Halifax.
Organizers of the mission, dubbed Operation Union, were still compiling a list of what's needed on Friday. They expect to provide humanitarian aid, along with divers, and engineering expertise for reconstruction.
Three Sea King helicopters will also be sent to ferry personnel into the devastated areas.
Graham says he's been consulting with Prime Minister Paul Martin and Deputy Prime Minister Anne McLellan, who is leading a cabinet committee on aid response.

Sun May 12, 2024 1:57 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

StriVectin Tighten & Lift Peptight™ 360˚ Tightening Eye Serum (30 ml / 1 floz) HydroPeptide Anti-Wrinkle Power Luxe (30 ml / 1 floz) Institut Esthederm Intensive Propolis+ Kaolin Purifying Mask (75 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |