Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Amazing Cosmetics Line Smoother + Primer (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin TL Advanced Light Tightening Neck Cream (50 ml) glotherapeutics Barrier Balm (50 ml / 1.7 oz)
IS Clinical & Melasma
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Lela
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 18, 2005 3:33 pm      Reply with quote
(I just wrote out this message and it seems to have vanished. If this is a repeat, I apologize).

Hello! I am new to this forum. I think it is amazing! And very addictive!

I was hoping to get some advice on my skin care regime. I am particularly interested in IS Clinical (after reading so many raving reviews from many of you).

I am 27. I have melasma on my forehead and cheeks - basically everywhere on my face. It is not too dark but it is noticeable. Also, I have oily skin, large pores and occasional breakouts (breakouts are not too bad).

This past year, I have had microdermabrasion done - around 12 times - and have been using a product called Intaglio (has anybody tried it?) Although my pores are smaller, I still want them to get smaller! Besides, I do not think my current regime is doing too much for me anymore.

I think I have decided to buy IS Clinical. But first, I have a few questions:

I am going to buy the Hydra Cool and Active Serum. Do you think I should also get the Pro Heal? What do people with melasma and/or large pores think of the combo? Is there anything else that anybody recommends for melasma (instead of or in addition to IS Clinical)? For large pores?

Marina: You said that you alternate with Retinol for your melasma. Do you think the Pro Heal would be good enough - or would you suggest I rather get the Skinceuticals Retinol? Do you take MSM?

Katie: Do you think Provage could do anything for me? You mentioned it helps with oiliness. Also, do you think if I need a moisturizer (in addition to Hydra Cool) that the Neutrogena Anti Wrinkle/Blemish would be as good as the IS Clinical one?

So many questions! This is just so fun! And I am so excited! I would love any and all advice on my quest for beautiful skin!
katee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:01 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Lela...

I guess it's obvious that I'm the leader of the IS Clinical cheerleaders (laughing), but I think your best bet is to go to a site like www.skinterra.com, and fill out their skincare analysis with a notation that you are specifically interested in an IS Clinical regimen, and see what they recommend. I don't have any experience at all with melasma, so I'm not in much of a position to offer advise.

From your post, it sounds like you've read through the IS Clinical threads, and therefore know that my basic routing is:

PM
Cleanse (w Neutrogena)
IS Clinical Active serum alternated on some nights with the IS Clinical Firming Complex
Is Clinical Firming Complex for Eyes
Hydra Cool

AM
Cleanse
Prevage
IS Cl Super Serum
IS Clinical Firming Complex for Eyes
Hydra Cool
Sunscreen

I'm 16 years older than you, and my main objective was to keep my skin firm and resilient, to deal with any light lines that have developed, and to shrink what have always been pores that were just way too large for my taste. I've achieved all those objectives and then some. I never expected to have beautiful skin - while I've never had "problem" skin, I've also never had one of those poreless, peaches n cream complexions either. The fact is that right now, my skin has NEVER NEVER looked so good. I used to do regular glycolic peels and stopped because they're no longer necessary. I still mask from time to time, but more because I love the luxury of it than out of need.

Prevage does have a slight mattifying effect on my skin, which tends to be pretty oily, especially in the warmer months. But, I don't think that it's meant to address that and I think you're too young to really need it.

I'm not entirely certain of it, but I think my IS Clinical regimen is designed more to stop or turn back the clock than anything else. I've found the Skinterra estheticians to be very knowledgeable and my dermatologist has corroborated every piece of advice I've gotten from them.

If you need a moisturizer on top of the HydraCool (I certainly do not), I don't think you necessarily need to use theirs. It's costly and I think their more "active" products are the ones you really shouldn't cheat on. However, the Neutrogena Anti Wrinkle Anti Blemish moisturizer contains both retinoids and salicylic acid. On top of the already very active IS Clinical Serums, I think that is major overkill.

Again, before you go out and spend a fortune and start slathering on stuff that may or may not be designed to address what you want addressed in your skincare routine, I'd really encourage you to do an analysis. It's free and once they do that, you can then decide what you do and don't want to purchase.

Good luck and keep us posted.
lily
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:05 pm      Reply with quote
Katee: Do you ever use the Active Serum under the eye are or just the eye firming complex?

Also I thought I read one of your posts about using Skinceuticals retinol product (or am I getting you mixed up with someone else?). Anyhow just curious as to if you alternate them or not?

I'm waiting for my super serum and eye complex to arrive. I'm using the Active Serum and have so far found that it is not even necessary to use the hydra cool on top. So far I'm liking it....
katee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:27 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Lily...

I apply the Active Serum everywhere but my eyelid.

And, yes, I do use Skinceuticals Retinol 1% - I use it under my eyes and under the IS Clinical Firming Complex for Eyes a few times per week as part of my PM sequence. For anyone who is thinking of using the Skinceuticals, BE CAREFUL !!! This is VERY strong stuff....
marina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:44 am      Reply with quote
Sorry I'm late...computer crash..

Actually, my routine is pretty much like Katee's except for retinol every other night..this helped with melasma. The active serum & superserum definitely help as well. I don't use pro-heal-I think this contains retinol but no where near the skinceuticals ...I use 1%...tough mediterranean skin here. You could also try green cream (I like this one too). Try the skinterra analysis. They sell skinceuticals so they'll probably recommend the retinol.

One thing-skinterra always throws in a recommendation for skinceuticals sunscreen-the 20 if you're oily & the 30 if you're dry. If you have melasma this is not enough protection. Do a board search for a good one like La Roche Posay...can't think of others right now..haven't has coffee yet Rolling Eyes
tidieu
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:38 am      Reply with quote
Marina,

Did you buy your IS CLinical from skinterra or theskincareinstitute? How long is the shipping time? What sort of duty charges that you had to pay?

I am also from Canada and I just want want to get an idea of shipping and customs charges. After shipping and customs charges, IS Clinical becomes very expensive for us here in Canada. I hope it's worth it.
marina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:46 am      Reply with quote
Skinterra dosen't ship Is Clinical to Canada-they no longer ship skinceuticals either-I don't know what's going on since EDS is now phasing out skinceuticals too.Skincareinstitute dosen't charge for shipping over a certain amount (I don't remember what the amount is but you'll get it with 1 product). It took a couple of weeks to get it-get ready for hefty duty& custom charges. On a $250. order I got hit with $45 from Mr. Postman. Other times it's less. No shipping charges really helped here.That would have been a lot to swallow. Confused
faith
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:57 am      Reply with quote
On a $300 dollar order (from the skincare institute) I got a $38 customs charge...it is a bit extreme.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:25 am      Reply with quote
Thanks, Marina,Faith!

I don't remember which one charges $20 US for shipping, I think it's probably skinterra. I will check with skincare institute. Hopefully, shipping is free or cheaper there.
betterat40
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:03 pm      Reply with quote
You might want to look at the thread that has the articles on skin lightening that e415squire just posted before placing your order. There was interesting info in those articles on what works best for lightening up dark patches/melasma.
Lela
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:38 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you everyone!

I did a skinterra analysis and told them I was interested in IS Clinical. They told me to use pro heal in the AM and in the PM to use M.D. Skincare Alpha Beta Daily Face Peel Pads, followed by the active serum and then hydra cool. Has anybody tried those facial peel pads? They sure are expensive! $68 for 30 pads. If I get them, I don't think I will be doing daily facials!

Marina: The proheal apparantly has 1% Retinol. Isn't that the same as the cream? Is it just less effective in the Pro Heal? I definitely want a good source of Retinol!!!

Betterat40: I looked at that article. I think I have to look at it again - closely. It does not give me the easy answers I was hoping for, but it definitely is informative. Do you get melasma? If so, what do you do for it?

Once again, thank you all!!!
marina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:58 pm      Reply with quote
Lela wrote:
Thank you everyone!

I did a skinterra analysis and told them I was interested in IS Clinical. They told me to use pro heal in the AM and in the PM to use M.D. Skincare Alpha Beta Daily Face Peel Pads, followed by the active serum and then hydra cool. Has anybody tried those facial peel pads? They sure are expensive! $68 for 30 pads. If I get them, I don't think I will be doing daily facials!

Marina: The proheal apparantly has 1% Retinol. Isn't that the same as the cream? Is it just less effective in the Pro Heal? I definitely want a good source of Retinol!!!

Betterat40: I looked at that article. I think I have to look at it again - closely. It does not give me the easy answers I was hoping for, but it definitely is informative. Do you get melasma? If so, what do you do for it?

Once again, thank you all!!!

Katee or Faith (I think Faith uses pro-heal) jump in here, but there's no way pro-heal has 1% retinol. Maybe .1%. Skinceuticals has the highest % available-they even tell you to start with .5% unless you're skin is really resilient or you're a past retin-a user. If it really IS 1%-I'm ordering!!!
katee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:52 pm      Reply with quote
I have no idea what gave Lela the idea that the Pro Heal Serum has 1% retinol in it!!!

The Pro Heal is one of their Vit C serums. I'm absolutely certain that she's mistaken. Skinterra would NEVER suggest that somebody use such a high strength retinol in the morning. They'd be tarred, feathered, and shot if they did.
Lela
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:33 pm      Reply with quote
This comes from the Skinterra website. Am I missing something? Very confusing! I feel I must be - such a shocked reaction!!!

This breakthrough healing and protective formula combines 15% Vitamin C, 1% Vitamin E and 1% retinol with one of the most powerful antioxidants, olive leaves extract, to promote and encourage healing, protect against UV damage and increase collagen production. It also contains 0.5% kojic acid to help even out pigmentation, prevent and treat breakouts and zinc sulfate to reduce inflammation from breakouts. Recommended for the treatment of rosacea.

Question
Lela
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:44 pm      Reply with quote
The people at Skinterra are great! They answer questions so quickly! Anyways, this is how they responded re: the Skinceuticals 1% Retinol and the Pro Heal:

"Both products contain the same concentration of retinol. However, the Pro
Heal Serum in addition to retinol, also contains kojic acid along with some
other lightening ingredients."

Sounds good for my melasma! Very Happy
marina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:42 am      Reply with quote
Hang on, let me e-mail skincareinstitute or even isclinical. Something dosen't sound right. Confused
faith
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:02 am      Reply with quote
katee wrote:
I have no idea what gave Lela the idea that the Pro Heal Serum has 1% retinol in it!!!

The Pro Heal is one of their Vit C serums. I'm absolutely certain that she's mistaken. Skinterra would NEVER suggest that somebody use such a high strength retinol in the morning. They'd be tarred, feathered, and shot if they did.

Nope, I am pretty sure that is right; 1%. I use the Pro Heal. Skin Terra also told me to use it in the AM...or PM, my choice, as did the Skincare Institute. I did have some peeling when I initially used it, but over about 3 weeks, my skin adjusted, and I could use it every day after that. The Pro Heal is a very interesting product. It is recommended for acne, but I have somewhat dry skin, sometimes sensitive skin, and it works great for me. It also feels very hydrating. Definitely give it a try, Lela. Smile

tidieu: Pretty sure it is free from there. Wink

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:26 am      Reply with quote
Alrighty then, the mystery deepens-skincareinst. e-mailed back that the pro-heal has .05 retinol-still a good amount. I still think if it was 1% there would have been a lot more initial irritation mentionned. Next stop, e-mailing IS...I love a challenge Cool

Wait a minute, skinceuticals lowest is .5%, not .05%. o.k. someone help. Math was never my forte, but it seems to me .5 is more than .05-must ask my 10-year-old.... Embarassed

O.k. I have to stop editing, but skinceuticals says 1% retinol & pro-heal says 1% vit.A in its' ingredient list. Are we comparing apples & oranges...
katee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:35 am      Reply with quote
Okay, ladies, I think I may have the answer to the great mystery. I called my dermatologist, because the fact that Pro Heal contained 1% retinol was mind-boggling.

I use the Skinceuticals 1% retinol, have VERY resilient skin, and even so, it is STRONG STRONG STRONG stuff....

She laughed and said it really isn't such a mystery. The Skinceuticals product is 1% retinol.....PURE 1% retinol in an emolient cream. The Pro Heal has 1% retinol mixed into the solution. It may start out as the same strength, but she explained that the issue is HOW MUCH 1% retinol is in there. She said that it is very heavily diluted in the overall solution as opposed to the Skinceuticals product which is very concentrated.

So, I think that does provide some clarification. Marina and I may be crazy (laughing...) but NOT about this....
marina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:37 am      Reply with quote
Good work watson!!! Laughing
Lela
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:44 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the clarification Katee! Makes perfect sense. I am so happy that I am not walking into this blindly!!!

I ordered my IS Clinical today (from the Skincare Institute). No time to waste! I am very excited!
System
Automatic Message
Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:41 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Decleor Orexcellence Energy Concentrate Youth Mask (50 ml) Dr Dennis Gross Alpha Beta Glotion for Body (150 ml / 5 floz) glotherapeutics Barrier Balm (50 ml / 1.7 oz)