Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Hollywood glow...
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
LandB
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:00 am      Reply with quote
Well, I finally found the right place to ask this question. It's always bugged me. Have you ever noticed that when women stars attend award shows like the Emmy's or movie premiers, their faces always have this fantastic dew-like glow that they never have when you otherwise see them on TV or in Magazines? It's like their faces are shiny but it's not a greasy shiny... it's a healthy shiny. What product(s) are they USING? I wouldn't want to shine like this every day, but it would look great for a night out or a wedding. WHAT IS IT?!
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:43 am      Reply with quote
I think it’s what you don’t see off-camera that’s important. Those glowing celebs actually have a handler or makeup artist with them at events that run over to touchup their makeup or spritz their faces with Evian holy water between photo-ops! I always thought it was some great secret product known only to starlets and movie stars that made them look that way but I got a real education when I attended a couple of film premieres here in Austin and saw what really went on “behind the scenes.” Granted, the premieres I witnessed weren’t quite the same as the Emmys and Oscars, but I’ve been told by a couple of (legit) paparazzi (my friends don’t stalk celebs and jump out of the bushes to snap their pix) that the same thing goes on at all the red carpet events and the public would be shocked if they could see everything that went on just outside the camera frame. The celebs don’t want us to know about that stuff so that the myth can endure....

I’m sorry to sound so cynical, but I don’t think there’s a lot that us “ordinary” women can do to look that great at our own “red carpet” events! But if there *is* some magical product and someone else can break the code of silence and share the secret with us little-folk, I’ll be more than happy to eat my words!!

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:58 am      Reply with quote
Hmmmm...It would be wonderful to have one or two of those professional celeb makeup artists on this forum!

Those times when I'd like a little extra glow, I use either Clarins Flash Balm, which adds radiance, or Laura Mercier Secret Finish, which adds glow when you rub a small amount between fingers and lightly pat on over makeup, if you wear foundation.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:10 am      Reply with quote
I have been toying with purchasing one of those 'healthy glow' products. So far I am looking into

*Revlon skinlights,
*MAC mineralize (2 are being brought out in December),
*Bare Escentuals Glee or Bare Radience,
*Tesco Barbara Daley make-up range does a good luminizer for £6
*Boots No7 illuminationg lotion is £10

So if anyone has tried any of these, I would love to hear the feedback. Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:18 am      Reply with quote
rosebud wrote:
*Bare Escentuals Glee or Bare Radience,

I've actually just been watching a demo of Bare Escentuals Clear Radiance on QVC (stuck at home with a cold and bored stupid Sad ). It does seem to leave the skin with a nice, dewy finish (could just be camera trickery though). It gets good reviews on MUA too.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:02 am      Reply with quote
rosebud wrote:
I have been toying with purchasing one of those 'healthy glow' products. So far I am looking into...

*Bare Escentuals Glee or Bare Radience...
Toe wrote:
I've actually just been watching a demo of Bare Escentuals Clear Radiance on QVC...It does seem to leave the skin with a nice, dewy finish...
If you guys are interested in trying out the BE Clear Radiance and/or Glee, I have a connection that can give me a couple of sample size pots containing 1/4 teaspoon of CR – enough to last for at least 6 months because you should only use a tiny smidge or end up looking like a clown! This would allow you to try it out before having to commit and buy the huge jar of it, especially if you guys don’t have liberal return policies over there that would let you take it back if you don’t like it. Let me know if you want it and I’ll contact my source about getting some.... If there are any other BE blushes or eye shadows/glimpses/glimmers you’d like to try, now’s the time because I can get those samples for you as well.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:31 am      Reply with quote
after being done up in a couple of stores, I can honestly say using the right makeup techniques, you can totally change your look, in fact you can end up looking like a different person.

Not saying we can all look as good as the celebs, some folks just seem to be photogenic, but have you seen some of them without their makeup? Shocking springs to mind.

Plus they have practice at it, how to hold themselves to their best advantage.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:13 pm      Reply with quote
This may be quite expensive to get a natural glow....but creme de la Mer gives your face a dewly nice glow
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:30 pm      Reply with quote
And also, the lighting during photoshoots really offsets any unsightly skin problems too.. think of music videos and how people's skin look like porcelin.

I have seen a few off angle photos of stars like Paris Hilton (she had really really clogged skin) and Angelina Jolie (fine wrinkles and dark circles)... their skin looked bad without soft lights, but I guess what sets them apart is that they still have a 'pretty' face which balances out any minor imperfections.
LandB
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:32 pm      Reply with quote
I'm so glad I'm not alone in my curiosity. When I explained the "glow" look to a former stylist, she looked at my like I was crazy! Let me know if anyone tries any of the products, and whether they "glow" after! Surprised
crazyskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:36 pm      Reply with quote
There was a TV segment once that showed what these Hollywood celebs go through to prepare for a big event. Talk about high maintenance!
They get spa treatments, run to their derms to ensure their skins will look their best, try out outfits/accessories/makeup, get tans, change their eating habits and take supplements. But considering looks are critical in their line of work, I guess its just part of the job.

Scott Barnes launched his own cosmetics line on the strength of his work on J-Lo, among others. His entire line is devoted to achieving a J-Lo-ish glow. Check out scottbarnes.com if you are curious/interested. I personally haven't used any of his stuff so I can't comment.

5% products discount

Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:56 pm      Reply with quote
I read a magazine article somewhere a few months ago that says most celebs and their make up artists are all using various "primer" products before they apply foundation... smooths and perfects the canvas before the makeup goes on.

I've never tried one b/c I have enough trouble with my skin as it is w/o adding yet another layer of product.
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:22 am      Reply with quote
crazyskin wrote:
There was a TV segment once that showed what these Hollywood celebs go through to prepare for a big event. Talk about high maintenance!
They get spa treatments, run to their derms to ensure their skins will look their best, try out outfits/accessories/makeup, get tans, change their eating habits and take supplements.
I saw a similar thing on E a few years ago when they were doing their all-day countdown to the Oscars and were showing the red carpet stuff from major events for the entire year in a mini-TV marathon and they said that those stars actually start prepping for those events, ESPECIALLY the Oscars like 6 weeks in advance. It all sounded a little crazy to me, but -- as you said -- to them, looks mean everything.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:36 am      Reply with quote
I was in Tesco today and bought a highlighter powder from the Tesco Barbara Daly range for just over £6, it says on the back:
"a sheer subtle and prety highlighter for face and body"
I will post a review up tomorow Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:59 am      Reply with quote
I have used Revlon Skinlights....I have tried a couple of them...warm light...peach...etc. It has a very heavy texture...oily I guess is a better word. I was putting it all over my face after moisturizer but uder foundation and it was too oily (I have combo skin). I use it now by applying it to my cheeks with a foundation brush after my make up is finished...I just dab a little on cheek bones,brow bones and bridge of my nose. You get a lot for your money because I have had it for about 8 months and I'm not even 1/2 the way through the tube. I have used it mixed with moisterizer on my legs/arms/chest...nice stuff...not too expensive...I give it a thumbs up. I have also used a powder by Perscriptives...cant remember the name...it is also nice if you dont want the oilyness...it is more expensive but it also lasts a long time.
Heléne
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:13 am      Reply with quote
rosebud wrote:
I have been toying with purchasing one of those 'healthy glow' products. So far I am looking into

*MAC mineralize (2 are being brought out in December),
So if anyone has tried any of these, I would love to hear the feedback. Very Happy

I have Mac mineralize in "Shimpagne", sort of a light golden beige; I love it!!!!! It´s not glittery at all, just adds a beautiful healthy glow.And it will probably last forever, too..... Very Happy
Haven't tried the others, though. So much makeup to try; so little time...... Laughing
/Helene

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:07 pm      Reply with quote
I have wanted a MAC mineralize for so long Rolling Eyes Laughing , I read that MAC is bringing 2 new mineralizes out in December so that's it I am definately going to buy one this time!!! Laughing

Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:05 pm      Reply with quote
Celebs get a mild TCA peel the night before a premiere, and it tightens the skin slightly and gives a luminous glow before they start peeling. Those of you who have had a peel know what I'm talking about. Also, I think that a lot of them use...god, what's the name of that stuff...you know, that airbrush makeup. MA's use special equipment that allows them to "spraypaint" the faces with foundation.

I don't think their makeup would look so great under everyday light. It would probably look very obvious. I also heard that their makeup doesn't look so good on HDTV. Just what I've been reading.

Eg
crazyskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:14 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Carekate Smile I thin the segment I watched was also on E! channel.

Hi Eg Smile welcome!
I heard the same thing about HDTV, apparently the enlarged/congested pores and blemishes really show up.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:47 pm      Reply with quote
Sounds like E! should do a segment called "Emmy's... the day after." Laughing

I'm interested in the MAC and Revlon suggestions so maybe I'll buy one and vamp it up one night.
Lolli
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:26 pm      Reply with quote
I absolutely adore Prescriptives Magic Powder. It makes my skin luminous, without looking shiny. It imparts a multi-dimentional luminousness, for lack of a better term. It's not silver or gold, etc, but multi coloured and imo more natural looking than the Bobbi Brown Shimmerbrick or BE's Radiance products I own and neither controls oil. I love an glowy oil controller because I like the look but don't like the oil.

JLo is the queen of 'glowy'! She had that look down and really looked awesome. She sure went through a bad patch after firing Scott though, like she was doing it all herself. White concealer, dark foundation, bubble gum pink frosty lips and a tonne of matte bronzer. I will search for a photo, it was pretty bad.

Does anyone know if the MAC product is mattifying? The Px one is but I'm always on the look out for similar items for less $$.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:49 pm      Reply with quote
Summer before firing Scott Barnes.

ImageImage

Right after firing Scott Barnes.

ImageImage

She still looks unbelievably gorgeous but what's up with the white eye concealer and dull complexion?

I would say Scott Barnes is the master of Hollywood glow make-up!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:19 am      Reply with quote
Awww Lolli, your links don't work!

I was professionally made up for a photo shoot a few years back and although I looked amazing in the photos, in real life and close up, I looked creepy!

So much is not just in the photography (JLo made them work on her shots for her perfume in photoshop for 6 months!), but also in piling on the make up and yep, airbrushed make-up does look better, but you still see it close up unless it's very sheer.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:00 am      Reply with quote
I can't believe the luck! I've been sick (see other post entitled "Quick fix for tired face") and I decided to treat myself to a trip to the MAC kiosk at Filene's, thanks to all of the MAC fans on this forum. WELL.... I had a full make-up application and low and behold, in a very every-day natural way, I GOT THE GLOW!! All I told the gentleman (now an angel, in my book) was "I want a make-up routine for every day and I want a dew-like appearance, not matte." And he created the look I've been striving for for years! It was good to know that I was on the right track with colors, but the quality of MAC and the right application brushes make all the difference. I wish I felt better because I'd find every excuse to strut around like a peacock. (Parenthetically, the under-eye concealer has been on for 4 hours and it has not yet climbed into my fine lines - which was another post of mine a little while back). I bought the whole she-bang. $350 is worth it. All the Aveda, Bibo, etc. etc. etc... went in the trash. If I didn't need a nap, I'd type the product list. I'll try to get the energy later. At least I feel pretty while sick.
Rita
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:04 am      Reply with quote
I've heard that some of these actresses improve their diets prior to the Emmy's by eating more veggies and especially Salmon. The omega in the salmon is loved by our skin. I tried this for about 2 weeks eating salmon just about every day to every other day, and my complexion was so much nicer, dewier, overall healthy looking. I read about this salmon and veggie diet in the Dr. Perricone website. The only problem I had with salmon is the price. It can be expensive. So I ended my salmon diet cause it wasn't affordable for me on a daily basis. Maybe Omega supplements have the same impact??? I'm not sure.

Rita
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:32 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |