Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Proactiv Solution?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Toronto_Belle
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:50 am      Reply with quote
Hi Smile

I tried the Proactiv System a few years ago but it dried out my skin before I could actually see any results.

I called the 1-800 number to complain and ask for suggestions as I'd heard so many positive things about proactiv and I really wanted to try it out. They mentioned that they have a milder form of Proactiv. Unfortunately I did not try it.

My skin seems to have changed from dry to okay and I'd like to give it a go again...

Anyone currently using Proactiv or had success in the past?

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:17 pm      Reply with quote
I've used proactiv and had the same problem as you. It dried out my skin really bad. My skin became irritated, red and flaky. I've heard from MANY ppl that it has dried their skin.
BigHead
5% products discount

Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:43 pm      Reply with quote
I used Proactiv about 1 - 2 years ago. At the very beginning, it gave me positive results and I was amazed with the rapid solution to my acne problems.

After continuous use of Proactiv, roughly 9 months, my skin is severely dry. Everyone asked me how could I stand with that flaky skin everywhere on my face (even around eyes).

I cannot deny that other than the dryness, Proactiv did a great job for improving acne. Acne were cleared up (not 100%, but i would say about 80%) and I moved to other skincare lines hoping the dryness would be corrected.

My skin's moisture was restored. Unfunately, the acne came back.

To help acne, most commonly used products contain BP, AHA, or BHA. If BP is too irritating for u, u may want to try using AHA/BHA. In my opinion, they are less drying.

Hope my experience helps you.
Olivia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:36 am      Reply with quote
I used proactive for about a year and a half. I did not have severe acne just little (almost invisable) white bumps and it did take those away. I quit because in the winter months my skin was sooooo dry....and I felt like I was putting very strong "chemicals" on my face and I was not ok with that...so I have switched to Dr. H. My bumps are back so my dermatologist suggested microderm abrasion....that is my next step.
Nymue
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:22 am      Reply with quote
Over the years, I have used Proactiv off and on. It seemed to help slightly in the beginning, but never got me to the point where I felt comfortable with my skin. I didn't feel it dried me out too badly. You have to make sure you are moisturizing like crazy. You can also try to only use the repairing lotion at night, or doing the whole system just at night. You have to listen to your skin and adjust as necessary. I found I actually had better results when I wasn't over-treating and irritating my skin. That scrub can be pretty harsh.

And check this out - it turns out that Jessica Simpson (who raves about Proactiv on the infomercials) was on Accutane in the past! Which is why she has good skin now. There was also another spokesperson for Proactiv that had been on Accutane, but I don't recall who, maybe Britney.
Hmph! Mad
K
5% products discount

Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:10 pm      Reply with quote
I tried ProActiv back in '96 soon after it came out. Things were fine for about the first two or three weeks, but then my breakouts worsened and I got very rashy. I was really bummed. Definitely wasn't for me.

So now I see these infomercials where celebs rave about it, and I can only shrug my shoulders. It's not a cure-all for everyone.

I went on Accutane shortly after the ProActive experience. That cleared things up for about a three year period, then the acne started again... although not as severe/cystic as before. Now I just continue to deal with moderate acne... woo hoo. Confused
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:54 pm      Reply with quote
I had the opposite effect. Proactiv made my skin so oily. I have oily skin already but it made it so much more oily and it didn't clear my skin at all.
girldelvov
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:27 pm      Reply with quote
I used proactive for about 1/2 a year to a year. What I noticed with it was that it made my skin very soft and silky. However, it did seem to give me the tight, dry feeling. Even then, I beleive I kept using it for a little while more to get some more results. In the end, all proactive did for me was jumpstart my way to a clearer face. It didn't clear up my face entirely, but it did help A LITTLE, very little.

But by using proactive, it helped me create a face cleansing routine that seemed to really clear up my face. Now, I break out with 1-3 pimples on my chin if I'm completly stressing out/ time of the month. What got me here was ofcourse daily/ nightly cleansing of the face, using an 'acne pad cleanser' (just the generic brand from Rite- aid) and Clean& Clear morning glow moisturizer.

But bottom line, proactive did help in clearing my skin, but not enough to completly rid it of the horrible condition it was in. It did, however, help tons in creating a great new and refreshing canvas of my face with its cleanser/ toner/ cream combo. Hope anything form this post helps Very Happy .

-Marianna
Chrissie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:12 am      Reply with quote
I tried it for a couple of months....it really didn't do much for me. I have more luck with 10% BP as a spot treatment.

Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:40 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |