Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Anyone NOT had success with ACV and Dr H?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Leaky
5% products discount

Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:29 pm      Reply with quote
*cries* I've just swapped from my old routine which was drying me out yet still making me oily under makeup to Dr H CC, Quince day cream, cleansing milk and the ACV toner. I'm also using a 10 pack of the rhythmic night conditioner. Its been nearly 2 weeks since I started on the Dr H and only a couple of days since I started the ACV.

My horrible lumpy bumpy forehead is coming back! I also have a few red spots (I thought this was all the bad stuff coming out but maybe its not). *sobs* Anyone got any advice for me?

I'll stick it out for a few more weeks I guess. I just don't want to have to go back to my drying antibiotic creams. Was hoping that my skin had changed to a more normal type over the last year but it seems it probably hasn't Confused
ena
5% products discount

Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:33 pm      Reply with quote
I think an intial breakout is normal when you first switch over to dr h. I'd stick it out for a couple more weeks Smile
HOLLY JO
5% products discount

Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:44 pm      Reply with quote
Hi! I feel your pain;I'm ALWAYS trying something new or recommended, usually at my skin's expense. Crying or Very sad I tried the rhythmic night conditioners about a year ago and ended up returning them. They are so expensive and my skin could not tolerate them. I got a full refund and they were very understanding. My face stayed red and irritated all the time. Cleared a couple of days when I discontinued them. I have fair, sensitive skin with bouts of rosacea/acne. Hope this helps.

5% products discount

Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:52 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks ena.
I was hoping Dr H and ACV were some kind of miracle products. They certainly have a lot of rave reviews here and they make a lot of sense.

Holly Jo, I hope you have found something more suitable for your skin now. I've used 6 of the rhythmic conditioners so don't think I could return them. I actually really like the smell of them and the nice soft feeling they give me. In fact all the products make my skin feel lovely and soft and smell great. Its just the bumps which are a worry!
Feliz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:38 pm      Reply with quote
Hi,

I have read excellent reviews an Dr.Hauschka, yet I have tried it too many times over the last 6 years and yikes. I have highly reactive skin and I found I could not take the non stop breakouts. I have been to Dr.H estheticians in 3 locations in Canada adn had a lot of treatments yet my skin was still so bad.

Yet having said this I have a lot more knowledge of why skin gets acne and other such conditions.
In my own experience and so many of the people I have worked with that have chronic acne that the problem is internally related. The problem affects you due to the oily nature of your skin (notice people with dry skin despite having poor digestion or toxicity do not get acen!!!) so your internal disharmony will manifest as acne due to bacteria liking to live in oily skin.

When you work on finding balance on an internal level your skin will be clearer adn you can use Dr.H. I switched to Jurlique and I am currently using this line.

Good luck

Feliz
mtview
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:32 pm      Reply with quote
I also have very reactive skin and Dr H CC gave me contact dermatitis Sad

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:31 am      Reply with quote
I know the Dr H CC and ACV toner are fabulous for skin with breakouts/clogged pores, but as far as I'm aware both the Quince Cream and the Cleansing Milk are more suited for dry skin - could that be what's causing your breakouts? They are very rich products, which may be more than your skin needs.

If it's not that, then it could be your skin adjusting to a new product line. Usually, if you have reactive skin it's best to change products one thing at a time, wait until your skin gets used to that (a week or two) and then add the next one. That way you're not overloading your face with too many things at once, and also, if something is causing breakouts it's easier to identify which product it is.

I personally would suggest if you dont see an improvement in the next few weeks that you drop the Quince Cream and/or cleansing milk and see if that makes a difference.

A good moisturiser that you could use instead is cold pressed jojoba oil (you can buy it at any health food store). I know if your not used to it, the idea of putting pure oil on your face seems crazy, but jojoba oil mimics the sebrum usually found on your skin so it actually reduces the amount of oil your skin produces. Do a search in the product review forum and you'll see that a lot of people use this.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:42 am      Reply with quote
I am with Princesita with the Jojoba Oil, I use it as a moisturiser every day. I actually prefer the homemade Dr H Cleansing Cream to the original.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:09 am      Reply with quote
I had very mild breakouts when I started with my Dr. H routine. I'd give it at least a week or two, since your skin needs an initial adjustment period to 'detox'.
Leaky
5% products discount

Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:54 am      Reply with quote
thanks for your advice Smile

I was thinking the cleansing milk might be the problem so I'll give it another few weeks and will go back to my cetaphil cleanser if no improvement.

Jojoba oil you say? So just plain old cold pressed? And you just press it into your skin like Dr H? Its a shame that the quince cream could also be the source of the problem as it is just soo delicious smelling and feels nice.

I probably shouldn't have changed my routine as I was told to use cetaphil plus a couple of antibiotic ointments by a skin clinic. My skin was pretty good after using those products for around 10 months, but I still had bumps on my chin and cheeks, was developing more milia and was dry on my cheeks and under my chin.

I looove reading this message board, its been so helpful and its great to know there are lots of other people around who just want the best for their skin (and buy yummy products at the same time!) Very Happy
Leaky
5% products discount

Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:32 pm      Reply with quote
oh also, if I was to use jojoba oil as moisturiser, what sort of sunblock would you recommend for reactive acne-prone skin?
I know there are HEAPS of threads about this...I've been reading up. It seems people have different opinions about what to look for in a sunscreen.
Kiwigirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:25 pm      Reply with quote
hi leaky,
i'm so sorry to hear that you're not doing well on the dr h stuff... as much as i love the things i use i always feel a bit of concern when i recommend them to others because what if they don't like them or they are no good Sad
anyway, i'm not going to offer you any advice but just send you good vibes and hope you can sort it out soon!

Kiwigirl.

5% products discount

Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:26 pm      Reply with quote
hello
i'm Dia from Holland...I think its better for your skintype to use the facial-oil from Hauschka...and also the CC, not the cleansing-milk. stop using the acv and also the night -serum...And let your skin used about it..
Instead of that you can use the lotion from Hauschka..
I saw it is expencive where you live..(Hauschka)..not here..!!!!
warm regards
Dia
Eve
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:21 am      Reply with quote
Hi, The Dr.H didn't suit me either, I found I was more congested when using it, perhaps I should have stuck at it longer but as you mention, when your skin goes crazy you want results NOW! The Jurlique suited me better.

Feliz is also right about the breakouts, if it's an internal/hormonal thing, no matter what you use on your face will only go part way in to keep your skin clear.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:31 am      Reply with quote
Me too Eve,I persisted for two weeks and just felt like my pores were really clogging up and i was getting white heads which I never usually get.So I'm still looking for my HG product for blackheads.
alilicious
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:48 pm      Reply with quote
This might sound a bit crazy, but I have always had acne prone skin and treated it with harsh acne prone products which would just make my face red and irritated. For some reason I decided to just use really gentle, hydrating products on my face and it has calmed down and cleared up dramatically. The little bumps you are describing sounds exactly like something that happens to my forehead when I have used something that is too harsh. More like a rash. I think maybe the Dr. H products have too much fragrance in them for you. I love delicious smelling things as much as anyone, but my face has told me time and time again that it does not. I have had great success with Dermalogica. They are fragrance-free and while they do use some essential oils, I don't seem to have a problem with them.
I actually can now slather my face with a rich moisturizer and wash with a milky cleanser and not breakout at all. In my opinion, gentle and hydrating are the best ways to go. Also, I would STOP using ACV toner. I had bad problems with this and irritation. Not everything works for everyone and it is so easy to want to try new things when everyone is raving about them, but sometime it's what you are NOT using that makes all the difference.
Hope this helps! Smile

5% products discount

Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:56 pm      Reply with quote
lol Laughing abilicious. It sure is easy to want to try all the new things that have been raved about!
Actually you DO sound quite similar to me skin wise. I've had acne and oily skin since I was about 9 or 10 and now I'm 26. I think we've had our fair share!

I've decided I'm going to drop the cleansing milk and quince cream right now and go back to cetaphil and try out the jojoba lol. I just can't help myself from wanting things NOW!
I was put on Dermalogica stuff when I was 18 and this made my skin worse. though it could have been the particular Dermalogica products I was using that were harsh.

At least if it all turns pear-shaped I can go back to my original routine for a while, even if it does give me flaky skin in areas. I just have to have clear skin for my wedding in February. Very Happy
Leaky
5% products discount

Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:02 pm      Reply with quote
Kiwigirl wrote:
hi leaky,
i'm so sorry to hear that you're not doing well on the dr h stuff... as much as i love the things i use i always feel a bit of concern when i recommend them to others because what if they don't like them or they are no good Sad
anyway, i'm not going to offer you any advice but just send you good vibes and hope you can sort it out soon!

Kiwigirl.

Hello fellow kiwi,
I meant to say before...please KEEP recommending things! don't be discouraged. This messageboard is a wealth of information thanks to lovely ladies like you.
alilicious
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:35 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Leaky,
I'm wondering if the Dermalogica you used was the Anti Bac cleanser and all of the other stuff meant for acneic skin? If so, I tried it too and it made everything worse for me as well. It made me breakout even more and it stung my skin. I have had the best luck with using the Essential Cleansing Solution or the Ultra Calming Cleanser followed by the Multi Active Toner and then the Intensive Moisture Balance Moisturizer with a few drops of the Gentle Soothing Booster mixed in with it. If I need to use something for acne, then I SPOT TREAT ONLY with the Special Clearing Booster. This will deflate a zit fast. I stay away from scrubs, peels and acids. Once and a while I will use Kiehl's Rare Earth Cleansing Mask to suck out the junk in my pores, but that is it. I'm telling you from experience: the nicer and gentler I am to my skin the better it behaves! Very Happy

5% products discount

Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:25 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Leaky, fellow NZ-er Smile

It sounds like you might be using too many new products at once. Also, there is no need for both cleansing cream and cleansing milk. If you do have oily skin, you should stick just to cleansing cream as the milk is especially formulate for dry skin (so my little Dr. H booklet says). I have very oily skin and I found that the cream works wonders when I leave it on for 5 minutes after the pressing and rolling. It tightens up really nicely and my face and soft and smooth after washing it off.

As someone already recommended, you could try introducing one product at a time which would help you identify products that are really helping and those that are not.

Best of luck!
Leaky
5% products discount

Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:22 pm      Reply with quote
Hi KT!

Yes, I shouldn't be so impatient with trying out new stuff. I just get so excited when I read about new things that I have to try them 5 minutes ago Laughing Naughty me! Surprised Might have some more chopping and changing to go but I'm hoping this combo (no quince cream or cleansing milk - they'll have to go up for sale on Trade Me Wink ) will be a little easier on my poor skin.

Alicious - I think some of the Dermalogica I was using was the Dermal Clay cleanser and the special clearing booster. It was so long ago that I can't remember the rest of the products I had.
KT
5% products discount

Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:28 pm      Reply with quote
Hahah I know exactly what you mean, I am totally the same!

A naughty, impatient makeup/skin care addict that's a sucker for anything that makes promises or gets good reviews!

Btw, where did you get your Dr H stuff from? I only know 1 lady that sells it on Trademe but what about stores?

5% products discount

Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:43 pm      Reply with quote
I bought the daily face care kit from Health 2000. Hardy's have Dr H as well. I started using the products from the kit and my skin was good for a week and a bit so I went and ordered some full sized tubes from the lady on Trade Me but they haven't arrived yet. Hope she doesn't mind me reselling them! I'll keep the Cleansing Cream though. Laughing
amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 09, 2005 2:00 am      Reply with quote
i have had good luck with the homemade DrH CC (i like it better than the store bought and it is SO much more economical) but the ACV irritated my skin (made it red, sting, and break out with patches of eczema Shock ). maybe some day i will try the ACV again- perhaps my skin was reacting to something else (but i cannot think of what that might have been since i wasn't trying anything else new at that same time).

i also have had good luck using the homemade decleor ylang-ylang oil (i dab a little bit on in the morning and more at night).

my recipe for this is:
15 ml kukui nut oil
15 ml hazelnut oil
6 drops ylang-ylang
3 drops geranium
3 drops niaouli
1 drop rosemary

early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
Leaky
5% products discount

Sun Oct 09, 2005 12:33 pm      Reply with quote
actually I do have some decleor ylang ylang oil from last year. I stopped using it but couldn't bear to chuck it out cos of the price and the pretty bottle and the fact I had hardly used any.
I've forgotten when you are meant to use it. Is it before moisturiser once a day?

I might start reusing it in a couple of weeks once I can see whether this regime is working for me. Thanks for the homemade recipe. If the ylang ylang works and I use it all up I will make myself some.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:22 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |