Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Oxytetracycline.
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
pandaman

Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:18 am      Reply with quote
Does anyone have any person experience of how long it takes for oxytetracycline tablets (1000mg per day) to start having an affect?

Thanks.
Toronto_Belle
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:47 am      Reply with quote
Excuse my ignorance but what are oxytetracycline tablets? I take an oral contraceptive called Tetracycline...any relation?

Belle

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:03 am      Reply with quote
It is an antibiotic for acne...much milder than Accutane. My cousin took them for 2 months. She started to see improvment in about 2 weeks and the acne was gone in 1 month. Her acne stayed away after that. I think she just had a huge cystic breakout due to stress, and the pills helped clear it up faster.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:39 am      Reply with quote
So, her acne didn't get worse before it cleared? Is that normal? If so, that's great Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:39 am      Reply with quote
Tetracycline is an antibiotic that's been prescribed for acne for years ... although I've known of too many people who were on it for too long with too few results.

There is a real danger in taking antibiotics for a long period of time ... because taking any sort of antibiotics can make your immune system inactive ... and then, if you need to take antibiotics for some serious illness, you may find that you've become resistent to them.

Now, my former sister-in-law had cystic acne ... and she took tetracycline for years and years ... without any marked "curing" of acne. Hopefully dermatologists no longer prescribe this for indefinite periods of time.

I don't know how quickly it works ... when it works. I suppose it depends upon the "source" of the cycstic acne.

Good luck with it though.

Mary
betterat40
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:30 pm      Reply with quote
Belle, I hope you miswrote. If you are taking tetracyline for birth control, you are going to get pregnant! Smile

It's an antibiotic not a contraceptive. Shock
Mabsy

Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:24 am      Reply with quote
Toronto_Belle wrote:
Excuse my ignorance but what are oxytetracycline tablets? I take an oral contraceptive called Tetracycline...any relation?

I hope that's just a typo and you're not using this for contraception - it's just an antibiotic. In fact, it's a rather bad antibiotic as frequent use of this permanently stains teeth.

Oxytetracycline also sounds like an antibiotic, one in the same family as Tetracycline. I'm not sure about it's use though. I used to take Tetracycline a lot when I was little for constant lung infections.... (and now my dentist says "oh, I see you've taken lots of tetracycline in the past" Mad)

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:54 am      Reply with quote
Toronto_Belle wrote:
So, her acne didn't get worse before it cleared? Is that normal? If so, that's great Smile

No, it didn't get worse before it got better. I don't know about the long term effects of this, but my aunt didn't want her to go in accutane without trying something else first. She just took 200 capsules worth (2x2/day), and it worked for her.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:56 am      Reply with quote
There is a birth control called ortho-trycycline...

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 09, 2005 4:20 am      Reply with quote
Mabsy wrote:
In fact, it's a rather bad antibiotic as frequent use of this permanently stains teeth.

Tell me about it. I took Oxytetracycline for over 5 years and I now have yellow stained teeth as a permanent reminder. Sad
I'm not sure exactly how Oxytetracycline works against acne. Something about it working against certain types of bacteria but this can also produce a negative effect. I remember reading that tetracyclines can kill off the 'friendly' bacteria in your stomach which can cause all sorts of other problems for you.
Oxytetracycline never really provided me with great results. At one point I was taking Dianette and Oxytetracycline together. Even using both of this supposed acne treatments my skin didn't clear up 100%.

Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:56 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for all these responses.

I am not too optimistic about the oxytetracycline.

The problem I currently have is that according to the doctor(s), as well as inflammation, I have an underlying bacterial infection which is acne-based. This area round the nose is red, but not necessarily inflamed (if I use the cream regularly).

I am not 100% sure if the doctor(s) have diagnosed the problem correctly. Can anyone suggest some alternative solutions.

I did consider seeing a private dermatologist but thought it sensible to give the oxytetracycline some time to work.

In addition, I am not sure of the procedures to go private in the UK. Unlike in the USA, I cannot seem to find a directory of dermatologists who take private patients (bearing in mind referalls from the doctor can take several weeks.)

Thanks.
pandaman

Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:13 am      Reply with quote
bump...
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:09 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |