Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Bare Escentuals or Jane Iredale?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
hayleighs_mom
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:48 am      Reply with quote
Hi All,

After reading all this great stuff about mineral makeup, I'm very tempted to buy some. Which brand should I get? BE or Jane Iredale?

Thanks in advance,
Anna

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:29 pm      Reply with quote
I have tried everything in minerals-Most on the forum adore it - it was not for me. The powders have something in them that made me itch and the JI liquid never matched-so I switched back to Trucco (from my hair salon) and its a perfect match. It all depends on you skin type and if you are able to get samples. They are all great I would if I could still use JI (have 2 bottles that I can't use). Good luck Wink

skin: combo sensitive 46yr old red head
kpka
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 08, 2005 3:10 pm      Reply with quote
Have JI pressed powder that's almost finished and starting to use the second one.
Can't be happier.

Never tried BE powder, only their shadow and I like them too.
Mabsy

Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:01 pm      Reply with quote
I've tried BE and JI, and I keep going back to the JI pressed. Love it! Smile But I think there are other considerations here - e.g. how dry your skin is etc

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:21 pm      Reply with quote
I'm confused too.

I was looking on ebay ... because that's where lots of mineral makeup is to be found ... and there are several "independent" brands.

All say the same thing ...

"purest minerals"

or

"no fillers, talc, fragrance, bismuth (?sp?)"

They all sound wonderful ... and all claim to be just the same as the "national brand" but for a fraction of the cost ... yada, yada, yada.

So ... in what way do mineral makeups differ?

In other words ... if I were to purchase a BE "knockoff" ... am I going to get the same coverage? Am I really getting a product that is equal in quality?

I know I could try ordering samples for comparison ... but I would like to hear what more experienced mineral makeup people have to say.

I'm looking for a loose powder foundation ... one that would provide a slightly heavier coverage than my CoverFX pressed powder foundation.

And, of course, I'm looking for mineral eyeshadow and liner.

My skin loves minerals ... and I'd like to augment my collection. Is there really that much difference between mineral makeups?

Thanks

Mary
hayleighs_mom
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:16 pm      Reply with quote
Great questions Mary. I cannot wait to hear the responses to your questions. I also ran across other brands that tout great stuff. I also wondered the same thing...if BE or JI's products are indeed superior.

Mabsy, I have combo skin. I wonder if JI's pressed powder will work for me. Pressed powder, does that mean u just apply it with a sponge?

I keep on looking at BE's website and have had to hold myself back from making a purchase until I actually try the makeup. I am planning on going to Sephora tomorrow to try BE's products. I wanna buy the eyeshadows and the liner as well. And I thought I was on a tight budget! SIGH! Mad

Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:58 pm      Reply with quote
hayleighs_mom - I think the JI would be fine for you. I used it back when my skin was combo, and I still use it now that it's decided to turn to "normal". I think the main issue is that the pressed bases tend to be drier therefore, loose powders (particularly with added stuff to make them less dry) might be better for dry skins.

hpjrt - sorry, I don't have the answer to your questions but there are many EDS members who are very knowleadgable about mineral makeup and I hope they fill find their way to your post and respond. I do know that some mineral foundations do, for example, have bismuth (which some skins may not tollerate well).

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:20 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Mabsy. I'm a bit afraid of trying JI's pressed powder b/c I get more on the dry side during the winter.

I went to Sephora today and tried on BE's loose foundation. I liked the way it felt on my face and it was very light indeed. I'm seriously considering making my purchase soon unless anyone else has more advice.

Thanks everyone,
Anna

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:37 am      Reply with quote
hi hayleighs_mom Smile

I use BE and love it, but there are many more out there. Some of the common complaints with BE is the shimmery factor (which I like) and the bismuth (which doesn't bother my skin). You can get BE on ebay for much cheaper and you can get sample sizes. You can also get samples of JI. I ordered sample sizes of eyehawdows and lippies and stuff from Pure Luxe and BareFaced Minerals, and they are also excellent!! So many to choose from!! If I were you, I would get a lot of samples and get the absoloute best foundation match colour! That will make all the difference. Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:07 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Faith. I would love to order samples to find my perfect shade before making the purchase. However, I am not sure what brush to use to apply the samples. I have a slanted brush and a regular foundation brush (from Sephora's brush set). For some reason I feel like I need to buy the kabuki brush to apply the mineral makeup. Correct me if I'm wrong. Doubt

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:37 am      Reply with quote
I have the BE foundation brush and the JI Handi brush. I use loose powder foundation and prefer the BE brush. Shock I know I am probably the only one. Laughing I love the BE one...granted the JI one is softer, but I get perfect results with the BE. I also have the BE kabuki, but don't like it as much as the foundation brush. Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:27 am      Reply with quote
You will drive yourself crazy with all of the different mineral makeup lines that are out there.

And in the beginnning, there were three.... Laughing Bare Essentials, Jane Iredale, and Youngblood...All offering loose or pressed mineral makeup that was good for the skin as it contained healthy ingredients.....however, there is an ingredient called bismuth oxychloride which is largely responsible for the smooth feel that these minerals offer....This particular ingredient can wreak havoc on some skins (like mine) resulting in rashes, breakouts, itchies (especially in heat), etc....so minerals became a no no for the people that had this reaction...

Along came companies like Aromaleigh who offered mineral makeup without the bismuth! Now, women who may have had problems could wear minerals. Since Aromaleigh, there have been lots and lots of mineral companies who came out with a line that did not have bismuth as an ingredient.

There are so many newer, smaller companies out there now who offer minerals at their most pure - that is they ONLY have zinc and titanium dioxide (natural sun protection) and mica. (and some don't even have mica!) Then there are others who add Vitamin E to give it a smooth feel - some add lavender oil - bottom line, there's just soooooo many companies out there, and most of them are willing to let you sample for minimal cost! Obviously, they will be less expensive than the "biggies" like Jane and BE - and I have had nothing but great success with customer service in these smaller companies who will go out of their way to make you happy - you really can't say that for the bigger companies.

There are forums devoted to BE users - that's how popular it is! If you really want to pull your hair out, visit the delphi forums mineral mania site!!! You want to talk about getting overwhelmed with mineral companies!!!! Surprised

It's all about trial and error with minerals. There are those who have tried a ton of brands only to finally discover that minerals are not for them. Then there are those who never go back to liquid (actually, a couple of the mineral companies like Jane and Illuminaire do offer liquid foundations).

I loved Jane Iredale until the dreaded itch rash happened...bismuth!!!!! I then discovered Aromaleigh's Glissade, and to me it's my Holy Grail in minerals, followed by Bare Faced Minerals formula with vitamin E. Neither of those have bismuth.

Anywho - I hope I've helped and not confused you more!!!!

Let us know how it goes.

Maria Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:34 am      Reply with quote
Wow Maria, THANK YOU very much for that lesson on mineral makeup. That was very informational! U know come to think of it..I think I saw some little spots come up on my face after the lady applied the BE powder foundation on me. Or were they there before she applied it? Confused Anyway, I will order samples and try and then hopefully I will be able to find my holy grail.

By the way, what do u apply your foundation with? I read so many techniques so I'm confused as to what works best (well especially with all these samples).

Thanks,
Anna

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:18 pm      Reply with quote
Again, this is a trial and error thing!!!

Good brushes are key though for good mmu application!!! My personal top three - and of course, everyone is different....

There's the Flat Top Luscious Dome - which is incredibly soft. You can really apply well with this.

Then there's a Kabuki brush - Those are nice too -good for buffing and swirling.

A Flocked Sponge - These are sooo soft and work great! I would suggest getting one either online, or Sally's Beauty has them, and they are quite close to the Jane Iredale or Aromaleigh ones. Some gals like to mist the sponge with a little water or mist (I love Pure Skin Formulations Hydrating mist) then apply your minerals with the slightly damp sponge.

You can mist the brushes too - and it's really nice to use a mist after to "set" your minerals, though not necessary. What IS necessary though is to wait a few minutes for your moisturizer/sunscreen to sink in before you apply your minerals. If you don't it gets kind of sketchy with application!!! Laughing

Good Luck!!!! Maria

Then there's a

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:57 am      Reply with quote
Good advice MariaV!

I tried JI, BE, YB, ahh shoot, I forgot the name of the other one. But the one product that I really like on my skin is Aromaleigh, it goes on like silk on my skin, it feels so natural but finished look. Try the Aromaleigh samples!
Sassyred
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:26 am      Reply with quote
I started out with JI but it was to dry after awhile. Then I liked BE but that has shine and some don't like that, currently I am using my own mineral foundation from my BeautifulNewskin line but it is similiar to BE so it has that glow/shine. I find mine isn't as yellow/warm and I like it better.

Soon I will need to find an alternative as I will be going out of business when stock is gone. I have tried other lines and not crazy about them, usually too matte for me. Sad

Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:21 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Anna,

I am a make-up artist and have used all different types of make-up on myself and my clients. My favorite is Mineral Powders.

They became very popular in the past 8 years for good reason. The first generation powders were made completely of the most natural, non-irritating ingredients in the market. They provide great coverage and feel like your skin only smoother.

However, some of the newer generation minerals - trying to save money - have included ingredients like talc, aluminum, chemical sunscreens, other irritants and potentially un-safe ingredients. I advise you to check the labels carefully before choosing a mineral powder make-up for your face.

Bare Essentials tends to be dryer and not provide enough coverage - check their ingredients. Lower SFF's usually mean more fillers. Jane Iredale doesn't have the right coloring for asian skin - there is usually too much pink in their foundations.

*self-advertising material removed by Mabsy*

Good luck!

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:02 am      Reply with quote
lbertaut - so that is your website? if so I have a question, why is *light* shade not offered and you have to buy/mix fair/med together? just seems odd to me? I just want one powder not two? thank you Smile

Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:53 am      Reply with quote
Hi Deb,

Thanks for your inquiry. *self-advertising material removed by Mabsy*

In response to your question about the "light" color...each line should have colors that are yellow based and colors that have pink undertones. Then you should have a light, medium, dark version of each of these. It is common for you to be lighter in the winter and have more color in the summer - even if you don't lay out in the sun. You might have to mix two colors inbetween seasons as you are changing colors. However, you shouldn't have to mix colors to come up with the right color on a daily basis. Only transitioning. If someone is trying to tell you that you need to purchase two colors to match your skin, then they are trying to make more sales off of you because they don't have the right colors in their line.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:31 am      Reply with quote
I guess I am confused then because that site doesn't offer *light* which would mean I would need to buy 2 and mix? the fair is too light and medium is too dark.

Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:23 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Deb,

Which line are you talking about?

Linda

5% products discount

Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:48 pm      Reply with quote
I bought BE blush in the colour glee. The colour was great but unfortunately i was allergic to the bismuth i think. Made my eyes water and sore and gave me a headache. Couldnt use it so took it back and they gave me a refund. I can only go for the minerals with out bismuth. Looked it up on the net and apparently it is pretty bad stuff. Oh well.
Melissa.
puppylove

Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:46 pm      Reply with quote
firstly, Hi all,
this is my first post here....
so here goes
I am using the BE concealer at the moment, and its the only thing that ever covered all the redness and spots and stuff.
I have tried everything, I am a product queen...
but this stuf wheeee
I couldn't be more happy
unfortunately where I live in New Zealand the products are hideously expensive, which is why I came here.
I am wanting to try the foundation, and I think I am light but am not sure....
I'm a bit scared to get it and have to send it back because its the wrong colour...
hmm what to do...
faith
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:21 am      Reply with quote
puppylove wrote:
firstly, Hi all,
this is my first post here....
so here goes
I am using the BE concealer at the moment, and its the only thing that ever covered all the redness and spots and stuff.
I have tried everything, I am a product queen...
but this stuf wheeee
I couldn't be more happy
unfortunately where I live in New Zealand the products are hideously expensive, which is why I came here.
I am wanting to try the foundation, and I think I am light but am not sure....
I'm a bit scared to get it and have to send it back because its the wrong colour...
hmm what to do...

hi and welcome Smile

You could try samples off of Ebay Wink

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:43 am      Reply with quote
I bought the Jane Iredale sample off ebay, because I could not remember which shade the lady at the salon had matched me with. I bought the loose powder, and I am enjoying it's very very natural look - yet covering and evening out my skintone. One thing I have noticed is by the afternoon my skin does look slightly oily and I was under the impression I did not have to retouch once I put it on?? Anyways, I still enjoyed it enough to buy the full size.

Thanks for the tip ladies about the handi brush. It was more than I wanted to pay for a brush, but might as well do it right! I LOVE it - feels incredibly soft to my skin and buffers the powder nicely into my skin.

Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:53 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |