Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Share your Household tips and tricks....
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
moosette
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:40 pm      Reply with quote
Okay everyone... I know there's a Martha Stewart lurking in each and everyone of us, so I thought why not start a thread to share the things that make our lives much easier in the home... so I will start with one of mine:

When doing a load of laundry, throw your hairbrush in with it (a little trick my momma taught me)...your hairbrushs come out just like brand new again. I do this about once a month Idea Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:42 pm      Reply with quote
Bleach is the best mold/mildew remover ever -- works better than those sprays. I had to demold an entire wall once -- it was BLACK because of a constant leak. I sprayed bleach onto it and it litterally started dissolving!

BTW -- I LOVE this thread, what a great idea!! I hope it lasts. Smile
moosette
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:57 pm      Reply with quote
I hope this thread gets some activity too chimera, I love the beauty tips and tricks thread so I thought why not this? Plus I'm kind of bored and always thinking of things to do. Think

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:19 pm      Reply with quote
Maybe it's your nesting instincts kicking in, too! Lol!!!
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:52 pm      Reply with quote
how do I keep my house clean? EASY, I don't let my boyfriend come over.

How do I keep his place clean? I haven't figured that one out.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:28 pm      Reply with quote
Baking Soda Dancing It's inexpensive and I use it for so many things:

1/2 cup in laundry (freshner)
open box in refrig and freezer (absorbs food odors)
sprinkle at bottom of cat litter box
cleans stained coffee pots
removes burnt on food from pots
in bath for irritated skin
great rinse for pet odor
add to shampoo to remove product residue
great tooth paste to remove coffee and tea stain

Everybody should keep baking soda on hand. Smile
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:51 pm      Reply with quote
winnie,

baking soda did a good job of my boyfriends car after he went camping and took his friends STINKY dog.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:23 pm      Reply with quote
150% agree with Winnie on BAKING SODA.
I use it to clean stainless steel (frypans, saucepans, cutlery, etc.)... cut a lemon into wedges, dip a wedge into baking soda and rub over the item... they will come up SPARKLING

I also mix with water and run through the coffee maker from time to time...

VINEGAR is also a godsend:
to stop cutlery, glasses and china having water marks, have a bowl of warm water and vinegar to dip them into before putting in the dishrack. no need to rinse as when you wipe them dry any smell will come off. bonus is that when you tip the vinegar water down the sink you get to "clean the pipes" so to say.

Also try vinegar water in a spray bottle on glass doors etc too.

Okay, not a household tip, but... apple cider vinegar is the BEST health tonic (actually in Japan there are a lot of vinegar varieties sold for thier health properties either as tablets or drinks). Only buy the best quality and simply add to a glass of filtered/bottled water... it is very refreshing. I love to add it to sparkling mineral water. Start with just a tablespoon or so and work your way up to larger quantities if you wish. It is a very refreshing drink in summer.

METHOLATED SPIRITS: mixed with water is the best thing out for cleaning glass, tiled floors, or laquered flooring. If using on windows, dont use a cloth, use NEWSPAPER

For coffee or tea stained cups/mugs, just pop a teaspoon of bleach into each cup, fill with warm water and leave a few hours. they will be all pretty and clean again.
SherriinCanada
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:32 am      Reply with quote
Paste Car Wax on the sides of my shower and tub to keep soap scum from building up. Nothing sticks and it saves you from cleaning the shower or tub other than the bottom. I wouldn't recommend anyone use it on the bottom as it is slippery.
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:39 am      Reply with quote
tiger_tim wrote:
to stop cutlery, glasses and china having water marks, have a bowl of warm water and vinegar to dip them into before putting in the dishrack. no need to rinse as when you wipe them dry any smell will come off. bonus is that when you tip the vinegar water down the sink you get to "clean the pipes" so to say.

Also try vinegar water in a spray bottle on glass doors etc too.

Okay, not a household tip, but... apple cider vinegar is the BEST health tonic (actually in Japan there are a lot of vinegar varieties sold for thier health properties either as tablets or drinks). Only buy the best quality and simply add to a glass of filtered/bottled water... it is very refreshing. I love to add it to sparkling mineral water. Start with just a tablespoon or so and work your way up to larger quantities if you wish. It is a very refreshing drink in summer.
You’re preaching to the choir! We already love vinegar around here for hair and skin care, but you missed a few household uses:

• Out of Jet-Dry spot remover for your dishwasher? Fill that little container up once a month with plain white vinegar instead and your dishes will come out spot-free!

• Are your colored clothes fading and not looking as bright? Add one cup of plain white vinegar to the washing machine when you do your loads. The vinegar helps the fabrics become more color-safe so your beautiful red shirt doesn’t fade to hot pink after a few washings!

• Trying to battle ground-in odors in your laundry? Again, one cup of plain white vinegar will cut through those odors so your laundry comes out clean and fresh!

• Got lime buildup in your automatic coffee maker? Run a pot of plain white vinegar through it, then follow with two pots of fresh water to remove the sour-y taste and your coffee pot will work like new again.

• Are your windshield wipers leaving streaks behind when you’re trying to wash/rinse your windshield clean? It’s probably because there is a build of road grimes on the wiper blades. To make them work like new again, simply saturate a paper towel with plain white vinegar and wipe down the full length of the wiper blade several times to remove the buildup and – presto! – your wipers will work like new again! I do this once per month to ensure my windshield wipers are always in prefect condition.

• Did you burn something while you were cooking and now your kitchen/home is filled with the acrid scent of burnt whatever? Soak a dish-towel with water and wring out the excess, then pour a bit of plain white vinegar on the wet towel and then walk through out the smoke filled room swinging the vinegary towel over your head. The smoke and odors will be absorbed into the towel and your room will be smoke free in minutes rather than hours, and you don’t even have to open every door and window in the house!

God, I know there’s more uses but these are all I can think of right now....

Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:59 am      Reply with quote
tiger_tim wrote:

Also, while we're on the topic of vinegar, it's a superb way of removing built-up scale in kettles. Just boil some water with vinegar in the kettle and all the scale just falls off - brilliant! I wish I read about that earlier, could have saved myself all that scrubbing... I also read that adding vinegar to the washing machine rinse cycle will keep towels from leaving all their fluffy stuff everwhere (I'm sure there's proper terminology for that! Laughing ) - I haven't tried that yet....

tiger_tim - I used to do same with the ACV, added it to luke warm water and drank it. I then read that overdoing that could damage teeth because of the constant acidity in your mouth. I don't know how true that is but it scared me enough to stop drinking it.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:40 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
tiger_tim - I used to do same with the ACV, added it to luke warm water and drank it. I then read that overdoing that could damage teeth because of the constant acidity in your mouth. I don't know how true that is but it scared me enough to stop drinking it.

Mabsy,

Your correct. Apply Cidar Vinegar can wear away the enamal on your teeth if you do not dilute it well and take regularly. However, the health benefits are so numerous I would continue taking your potion. Smile I have heard it is a good idea to rinse your mouth with plain water after ACV.(BTW: I know ACV is wonderful for my health but rarely drink it Embarassed ).Braggs is our famous name ACV here. Braggs website suggest taking ACV mixed with honey for the best absorbtion and health benefits. www.bragg.com
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:40 am      Reply with quote
I already posted this in the DIY skincare recipes thread, but thought it could go here as well:

• To repel mosquitoes, bees and wasps, rub a *used* fabric softener dryer sheet (i.e.: “Bounce” sheet) all over your exposed skin and/or clothing when spending time outdoors and you won’t be bothered by those flying insects! If your skin is too sensitive and reacts badly when you rub down with the dryer sheet, you can simply loop the used dryer sheet through your belt-loop or tuck it in your pocket and leave the “tail” hanging out.

• Those spray bottles of shower cleaner can get expensive, especially if you have several people taking a shower each day and you need to spray down the tiles and shower door/s after use each. Instead, after you clean your bathroom the next time, take a brand new fabric softener dryer sheet and wipe it all over the tiles and plexiglass surfaces to prevent buildup of soap scum and mildew.

• If you get ink on an article of clothing that can be machine-washed, first saturate the ink mark with hair spray then toss the garment in the washer and do the laundry as usual. I’m also told that applying a bit of regular toothpaste to the ink spot will also remove the stain.

• Did your kids or grandkids get hold of a box of crayons and draw all over the walls in your house? Put a dollop of regular toothpaste on a old, soft toothbrush and rub it across the crayon marks to remove them in a jiffy.

• Did you cut yourself while shaving and don’t have a septic stick handy? Dab the nick with a bit of Chapstick lip balm to help stop the bleeding.

• Got a sticky or stuck zipper? Rub a bit of Chapstick lip balm along the zipper’s teeth to make the zip slide more smoothly.

• Got a job interview and no time to properly shine your leather shoes? Rub a bit of Chapstick lip balm over the scuffed spots and buff with a clean, soft cloth.

• Got a blood stain on your clothing or bed linen – this invariably happens to me every couple of months, come on, ladies – you know *exactly* what I’m talking about! To remove the nasty stain, saturate the spot/s with some hydrogen peroxide then launder as usual. I’m told that pouring a bit of fresh (i.e.: still fizzy!) Coca Cola on the spot will also loosen the blood stain so it’ll wash out cleanly in the laundry!

• Did you accidentally slosh yourself with grease or cooking oil when you were frying up that bacon or fried chicken or did you get full of grease when you were trying to change a tire or jump-start your car’s battery? First, saturate the grease spot with baking soda or talcum powder to help absorb the excess oil and prevent it from fully penetrating the fabric, then toss the offending garment/s in the washing machine with a full can of Coca Cola (must be Classic Coke, diet soda won’t get the job done!), along with your regular detergent and run it through a full wash cycle. Somehow the Coke helps loosen the grease stains so that they come right out during the laundry cycle.

• Did you know that you can use regular Colgate toothpaste to polish gold and/or silver? Simply put a but of the toothpaste on a soft cloth and gently buff it over the object, then rinse and dry with a damp cloth.

• Got ring-a-round the toilet bowl? Pour a can of Coke into the pot and let it stand for at least an hour without flushing. The citric acid helps break up the stains and after the time has elapsed, just brush lightly with your toilet brush and those stains will be gone!

• Your car won’t start and you need a jump start. You get out the jumper cables and pop the hood, only to find that the battery’s terminals are caked with corrosion. What to do? Pour a fresh (i.e.: still carbonated) can of Coca Cola over the terminals and it will bubble away the corrosion in seconds. To *prevent* corrosion from building up again, liberally smear the now-clean battery terminals with Chapstick lip balm!

• Got a rust spot on your car’s chrome bumper or other chrome trim? Rub the offending spot with a piece of aluminum foil dipped in Coca Cola and the spot will be gone in a jiffy.

• Trying to loosen a rusted bolt? Saturate a paper towel or cloth with Coca Cola and apply it to the rusted bolt for a few minutes and – presto – the bolt will magically loosen!

• Grimy road haze on your windshield? Pour a can of Coca Cola on the glass, then wipe down with a clean cloth or paper towel to loosen the gunk, then rinse with water.

• Got ants in your house? Legend has it that they won’t cross a line drawn with chalk, so get out a piece of chalk and start drawing! Draw a chalk line on the floor or walls, whereever you’ve seen them march. Once the little hardy little soldiers encounter the chalk mark, they’ll turn around and head back from wence they came!

• Got a splinter in your finger? Put a drop of Elmer’s (white) glue over the spot and let it dry. Then gently peel away the glob of glue and 99% of the time, it’ll pull the splinter out at the same time! I’m told you can also do this with a piece of scotch tape, but I haven’t tried that one myself.

• Got a squeaky door hinge and can’t find the can of WD-40? No worries, just spray the spot that’s sticking with a bit of Pam cooking spray instead!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:10 am      Reply with quote
LOL yea, I had heard stories about coke.. really makes me NEVER want to drink the stuff.. eww.. Laughing

re drinking ACV, yes rinsing the mouth afterwards is a good idea (mind you, I do that if I have coke nowadays too Laughing )

OH and for mozzies.. if you know you are going on holiday in an area where there are lots of them (or if you live in such an area).. take vitamin B!! You know when your vitamin sups have more vit. B in them than you need - you pee bright yellow and well, lets be honest... there is an "aroma" so to say, no? WELL that lovely Vit. B aroma is also in our blood..and research apparently shows that mozzies hate it. My mum's doc put us on to that cuz she was commenting that hubby has allergies to mozzie bites.

OH and if one does get ya, rub straight lavender oil on it and within minutes the itch and redness will vanish and the lump goes down very fast too. My husband used to scratch at bites for more than a month and they would take months to heal, but with lavender oil they are gone totally in a day.
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:23 am      Reply with quote
• You know how your hands get all stinky and retain the odor/s (and flavor!) after you’ve chopped an onion or a clove of garlic by hand? To remove the odor “stains” from your hands/fingers, first wash your hands with a bit of cheap, regular toothpaste then rinse and wash hands again with your regular soap. This can be a bit drying if you have to do it often, so keep a bottle of hand lotion nearby to replenish moisture.

• For those who live in the Sunbelt where cold weather and ice storms are infrequent events, sprinkle your steps and/or walkway with table salt to help melt the ice. ** Yeah, I know this isn’t really great for the environment, with all that salt washing into our water tables, but it isn’t great when your 95-year-old grandmother slips on the ice and breaks her hip, either! **

• Oil stains in your driveway? Sprinkle some clay kitty litter over the spot to absorb the grease.

• Tires spinning uselessly, unable to get traction, when trying to back out of your icy driveway? Sprinkle some kitty litter behind each wheel to help your tires gain purchase on the pavement.

• For the last 80-something years, my (95-year-old) grandmother has used baking soda in lieu of deodorant to keep her armpits fresh and dry!

• If the manufacturer’s instructions say you shouldn’t use a harsh, abrasive cleanser to clean your bathtub or sinks, use baking soda to scrub away the soapscum instead.

• Clogged or sluggish drain? Pour a bit of baking soda and plain white vinegar down the hole to help dissolve greasy buildup and hair clogs.

• Tired of those greasy, red stains on your Tupperware and other plastic storage containers left behind from tomato-based sauces? If you spray the container with non-stick cooking spray (i.e.: Pam) before pouring in that left-over spaghetti sauce, there will be no more stains!

• When preparing a recipe that calls for fresh garlic, if you nuke the garlic clove/s in the microwave for 15 seconds, the ‘skin’ will peel right off.

• Accidentally dump too much salt in your pot of homemade soup or sauce? Peel a potato and drop it whole into the pot and leave it there for at least 15 minutes and it will help absorb the excess salt.

• Got an ankle sprain or a bump on your noggin? If you don’t have an ice pack handy, you can grab a bag of frozen veggies from the freezer and use that as an ice pack in a pinch! To make homemade ice packs, daycare centers place a wet sponge in a ziploc bag and keep them on-hand for little bumps and boo-boos requiring an ice pack. You can also make your own ice packs by putting equal parts water and rubbing (70% isopropyl) alcohol in a ziploc bag and tossing it into the freezer until it is needed.

• I’m sure we’ve all heard this one before: next time you bake a cake that instructs you to grease and flour the pan, instead of using plain white flour, dust the pan with some of the dry cake mix or even a bit of granulated (white) or powdered (aka: “confectioner’s”) sugar to ensure there’s no ugly white mess on the outside of the cake.

• In addition to keeping a carton of baking soda in the fridge or freezer to eliminate odors, you can also saturate a cotton ball in your fave fragrance essential oil and place it in the fridge.

• In a pinch, you can thicken up a homemade gravy that is too runny by adding a bit of instant mashed potatoes!

• Haven’t tried this one myself, but the aforementioned grandmother says that if you add a pinch of salt to your frying pan before cooking, it will help prevent/avoid grease splatters.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:27 am      Reply with quote
Carekate...How come you know so much? Laughing You have pretty much completed this thread,are you by any chance related to Martha??

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:21 am      Reply with quote
carekate wrote:
• Haven’t tried this one myself, but the aforementioned grandmother says that if you add a pinch of salt to your frying pan before cooking, it will help prevent/avoid grease splatters.

My mom always added the pinch of salt, so I have too, never knowing or even asking why. Now I know! But I wonder if mom even knows!

Which reminds me of a joke I once heard that relates to this:

Grandmother's Cooking Secret!

A young bride was preparing dinner. She cut off the end of the ham before placing it in a pan for baking. Her husband asked her why she'd cut off the end of the ham saying "That's the best part!." She replied, "I really don't know but it's what my mother always did."

Later she asked her mother why she always cut off the end of the ham before baking it, and her mother replied, "I don't know, but that's the way my mom always did it."

A few weeks later while visiting her grandmother the young woman asked, "Grandma, why is it that you cut the end off a ham before you bake it?"

Her grandmother replied, "Well dear, it would never fit into my baking pan."
MelissaMarie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:20 pm      Reply with quote
star fiber cloths, there a form of microfiber but wayyyyyyy better. a bit of water and one of these and anything in their path is clean from tile to glass to mirror to floors. I am in love with these cloths and no chemicals. Just be sure u get the starfiber there is a huge difference in the cleaning ability.
LandB
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:21 pm      Reply with quote
I might have missed this particular rave for vinegar, but if not, cleaning your wood floors with vinegar and water rather than products labeled as wood floor cleaners will preserve the finish so that you don't have to have them re-sanded as often. You can just have then re-sealed.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:11 am      Reply with quote
After cutting garlic or onions, I rub my both my hands and the stainless steel knife I've been cutting with CAREFULLY under some cool running water. (You could also rub your hands with a stainless steel spoon under the water, if that is more comfortable for you...) Both the knife and hands come out odor free.

Also, to easily get the peel off of the garlic, after cutting off the ends, just press the flat side of the knife on the clove of garlic and the skin peels right off.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:46 am      Reply with quote
Mammamia wrote:
After cutting garlic or onions, I rub my both my hands and the stainless steel knife I've been cutting with CAREFULLY under some cool running water. (You could also rub your hands with a stainless steel spoon under the water, if that is more comfortable for you...) Both the knife and hands come out odor free.
Thanks! I'll definitely have to try that -- way less messy than washing your hands with toothpaste; I love cooking Italian food except for the part where my hands would smell like garlic or onions for days after I chopped it!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:35 am      Reply with quote
carekate wrote:
• Are your colored clothes fading and not looking as bright? Add one cup of plain white vinegar to the washing machine when you do your loads. The vinegar helps the fabrics become more color-safe so your beautiful red shirt doesn’t fade to hot pink after a few washings!
I must be psychic! Wink In this week’s issue of “Life & Style” magazine, there was a style tip that reads: “When a favorite garment’s colors fade, add 1/3 cup of white vinegar to the rinse cycle to restore the vivid color.”

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:52 am      Reply with quote
Oh what a good thread Very Happy

If you have been eating strong garlic, raw onions or any strong food that stays on your breath, just chew fresh parsley it neutralises and freshens the breath instantly.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:26 pm      Reply with quote
okay, i think it is official - carekate is the guru of homemade everything! what doesn't she know!!! from skincare to household tips she's a total legend! Very Happy
i am humbled...

Kiwigirl.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:55 pm      Reply with quote
Yay, this thread is now a sticky! Great tips everyone, keep 'em coming. Sorry I can't contribute, I'm quite domestically-challenged you see Laughing But I'll be back if I think of anything. Meanwhile, my thanks to you all for educating me.

Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:57 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |