Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Horse Oil? Have you tried it?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:37 am      Reply with quote
OK, now I have heard everything.. Horse Oil, yes, HORSE oil for the skin.

Background: my student suddenly has experienced severe eczema around her eyes for which no cause can be found. The chemical creams from the Doc are no good and so her mother (who lives in Hokkaido) sent her a bottle of Horse Oil. Her eczma has all but gone in just one week!

Now for the rather gross bit... horse oil (which supposedly is great for everything from dry skin to scratches) is extracted from fat under the mane of a horse and then refined down to a odorless and colorless oil that has no additives. The really pure stuff is very expensive! (30ml/1oz around US$50)

Apparently it has its roots in Chinese beauty dating back hundreds of years.

So, anyone tried it?!
Mabsy

Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:29 am      Reply with quote
Poor horsey!

I haven't heard of this, but then I wonder if other oils would help? E.g. rosehip oil or emu oil? Or if it's something specific to horse oil (still can't believe that!).

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:48 am      Reply with quote
ya, poor horsey... I wonder if this is a "bi-product".. I mean horsemeat is widely eaten so maybe one poor horsey gives his life for 2 purposes?

Actually, the site I read said NOT to use horse oil on broken skin, open wounds or eczma.. but my student has had a lot of success with it.

To me it is definately on the ewwww side though
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:15 am      Reply with quote
Like you said, they probably make extract this stuff from the same horses they ground up for horsemeat in dog food, or horses destined to be processed at the glue factory....

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:51 am      Reply with quote
horsemeat for dogfood? Not in Japan... here it is served raw, like sashimi. It is called "basashi". So the horses are specially bred and (this sounds sad) are a very high quality.. not some old nag.
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:01 am      Reply with quote
tiger_tim wrote:
horsemeat for dogfood? Not in Japan... here it is served raw, like sashimi. It is called "basashi". So the horses are specially bred and (this sounds sad) are a very high quality.. not some old nag.

Raw horsemeat!?! GAG!!! :-&
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:19 am      Reply with quote
Actually (and I am NOT a fan of red meat..) basashi is quite nice. It is sliced paper thin and you dip it in a nice sauce.

The other surprizing delicious raw meat (served the same way) is Deer. OMG bambi never tasted so good!!

What was the beauty point again? oh yea, horse OIL... apparently you can DRINK it for health too!!
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:02 am      Reply with quote
Now I'm all about venison but I dont' think I'll ever be able to do horse meat. Horses are actually my favorite animal as far as beauty goes. They're just so muscular and stunning I could never eat one!
madeline
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:04 am      Reply with quote
Sad
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:36 am      Reply with quote
Isn't Silica something to do with horses???
I'm sure I've eaten horsemeat in an all inclusive in Spain Confused Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:20 pm      Reply with quote
Hey Rosebud!

the plant horsetail is rich in silica I believe!

Maybe better eat that than the horse huh?

Liz Cool

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 13, 2005 3:03 pm      Reply with quote
This week my eyes have been a mess with what I am positive is eczema. It started on my upper eye area and has since spread to my lower lid. I have never heard of anyone having it on their eyes until I read this post. I have cortisone cream but am scared to use it around my eyes. Horse oil at least sounds safe enough to use and at this point it is definitely worth a try.
sernx
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 13, 2005 4:12 pm      Reply with quote
I've never heard of horseoil before. Didn't even know they made it! Ah well - You learn something new everyday
product_junkie
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:24 pm      Reply with quote
Years ago, I worked in a SDM that sold a german line called Ecrinal. It was mostly nail care items, but had some hair care and lash oil as well.

All of the products used Horse's Mane Extract, which she said was what strengthened the nails and hair. She said that there are many "horse" lines of hand/nail creams, but the reason breeders get such strong nails is by the oil in the horse's mane.

She assured me the animal was not killed for the oil.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:41 am      Reply with quote
Very Happy
herc2142

Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:05 pm      Reply with quote
Can you tell me how to get some?
From who and were.
horse oil
Ottawa Shopper
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:44 am      Reply with quote
MMMM yum yum yum!!!

this will go so good with my BABY RAT WINE!

http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://unclestinky.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/mousewine.jpg&imgrefurl=http://unclestinky.wordpress.com/2008/01/08/from-the-alcoholic-x-files-korean-mouse-wine/&h=627&w=470&sz=139&tbnid=SbW3KR1XZJmGUM:&tbnh=259&tbnw=194&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dbaby%2Brat%2Bwine&zoom=1&q=baby+rat+wine&hl=en&usg=__zUh8Qvq4S7o2_h8Q-FrHjINoPFM=&sa=X&ei=VdiRTO-AOM6EnQfY7pjcCA&ved=0CBgQ9QEwAA

-----------------
http://www.cracked.com/article_14979_6-most-terrifying-foods-in-world.html

-------------------
Ok, I gotta go barf now!
jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:55 am      Reply with quote
oh my.....
really...

but killing any animal(or fowl, fish) is not my cup of tea..be it a horse, emu ,cow, sheep, goat or pig(which are supposed to be more highly untelligent than dogs are.)

...in the book called when Elephants Weep there is a chapter about a gorilla whose mom was hunted and killed for 'bush mea't(very popular in some african countries, even though it's illegal to kill gorillas for their meat it's still done a lot ..it's considered 'downhome' cooking like fried chicken is in the USA for example)

anyway the gorilla child was taken to a zoo/facility..i believe in the USA..where he was taught to sign as part of a well-known research program..and as soon as he learned to sign wellenough...he signed about the experienceof watching his mom be killed in front ot his eyes.

71 years, primarily raw living food 35 years(vegan 45 years) herbal tea decoctions, homeopathy, TCM, facial massage, facial exercises, vacu-lifting, gua aha, shiatsu/acupressure, intention, home microcurrrent
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:47 am      Reply with quote
I agree it's very sad to see yet I have seen Horse Oil in some cosmetics for years. It is amazing how different cultures perceive the "value" of different animals!

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:06 am      Reply with quote
Yes, DM. I agree. If you think about it, there is a lot of 'speciesism' going on regarding domesticated animals. It is okay to actually quite literally torture pigs and cows by exploiting them, keeping them in tiny cages, taking away their babies, drugging them, forcing them to live in fear and in the dark, all just so we can eat their meat and drink their milk. But we get outraged at the idea of horse oil, or at seeing kitties and puppies being mistreated. It's crazy how people eat cats and dogs in China, how people just see them as these kind of animals and don't think about it twice. Or maybe they do but they just think they're too delicious? Just how we are with piggies and cows. Sad
Penta
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:34 am      Reply with quote
Ottawa Shopper wrote:
MMMM yum yum yum!!!

this will go so good with my BABY RAT WINE!

http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://unclestinky.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/mousewine.jpg&imgrefurl=http://unclestinky.wordpress.com/2008/01/08/from-the-alcoholic-x-files-korean-mouse-wine/&h=627&w=470&sz=139&tbnid=SbW3KR1XZJmGUM:&tbnh=259&tbnw=194&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dbaby%2Brat%2Bwine&zoom=1&q=baby+rat+wine&hl=en&usg=__zUh8Qvq4S7o2_h8Q-FrHjINoPFM=&sa=X&ei=VdiRTO-AOM6EnQfY7pjcCA&ved=0CBgQ9QEwAA

-----------------
http://www.cracked.com/article_14979_6-most-terrifying-foods-in-world.html

-------------------
Ok, I gotta go barf now!

EEEEK! Shock Shock
jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:52 am      Reply with quote
yes, Penta, these are my sentiments, too....i think most people just don't realize the abject torture that domesticated food animals go thru as part of the 'normal' commercial food production process. (there are small farmers one can get to know thru farmer's markets, etc..who at least know/love their animals... and treat them well before butchering them for food...but it takes research and dedication to find them)

i want to tell another story about sheep...(cause in the west people eat lambs..but not, consciously anyway, horses)

my husband saw a video of a group of sheep (many mnay sheep) whose babies had been taken from them the year before....and were then returned to them...the video showed one momma sheep watching carefully as all the children returned home searching fervently for hers...and when she spotted her 'baby'..she ran toward her ...and the youngster ran toward her mom... nuzzling/kissing each other..meeting together with such love and joy

71 years, primarily raw living food 35 years(vegan 45 years) herbal tea decoctions, homeopathy, TCM, facial massage, facial exercises, vacu-lifting, gua aha, shiatsu/acupressure, intention, home microcurrrent
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:57 pm      Reply with quote
I am sure jasminerosey is familiar with this book, but for anyone who at least wishes not to contribute to animal suffering, and purchase humanly treated animal products this is quite an eye opener about what goes on in large food conglomerates.

Going Vegan! (Paperback)
Linda Blair

Another that's great is

Becoming Vegan: The Complete Guide to Adopting a Healthy Plant-Based Diet (Paperback)
Brenda Davis

They are both on Amazon, I can't link because it throws the mobile in when I use my iPhone, sorry!
Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:28 pm      Reply with quote
Laughing Dm, it cracks me up how you do everything from your phone! So nimble!

Jasminerosey, that is a sad/beautiful story. What never occurred to me was that cow milk comes from cows who just had a baby, which was then taking away from them - and how they suffer. They will cry and cry and cry for their baby until their voice is completely gone Crying or Very sad
So sad.
It's pretty naive, I just thought they had bred cows that just always give milk or something Confused I guess I just tried not to think about it too much.

One of my friends just read 'eating animals' by Jonathan Safran Foer (who also wrote 'everything is illuminated')

http://www.amazon.com/Eating-Animals-Jonathan-Safran-Foer/dp/0316069884/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1284668824&sr=8-1

I haven't read it myself but he said it's quite the eye opener.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:45 pm      Reply with quote
LOL Penta, Typing with 2 thumbs has become quite a habit, it's just so easy to have the Internet with you at all times! Smile

The poor milk cows are bred over and over to keep them producing and it actually shortens what life they have.

Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:20 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |