Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

::Review:: Jurlique Rose/Lavender silk dust
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
jadette
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:55 am      Reply with quote
I bought the Jurlique Rose silk dust and surprisingly it caused some whitehead break outs. So I gave it to my mom and recently received a sample of the Lavender silk dust and I must say it's working beautifully! I'm guessing because I have oily acne prone skin that the rose was an irritant to it. The lavender smells divine and really keeps the shinies away in additition to adding a glow to the face. I love it! Very Happy
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:52 am      Reply with quote
I have been interested in this product for a while but have not taken the step to buy ... do you use it over foundation or just on bare skin?
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 12, 2005 10:22 am      Reply with quote
I know I have been uming and ering about buying this, I don't know if I'd actually use it.
I know I'll cave in eventually and buy it Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 12, 2005 10:27 am      Reply with quote
I bought some of this a couple of months ago. So far I've not been particularly impressed by it. I've got the Rose one as I don't like the scent of Lavender. It's oil absorbing qualities haven't really impressed me and I have actually had better results with cheaper powders when it comes to keeping my skin shine free.
The pot is not very practical when it comes to travelling (spills everywhere) and I gather from previous threads that you have to be really careful when you screw the lid back on as it can split quite easily.
I won't be repurchasing this when I've finished the jar. Sad

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 12, 2005 10:29 am      Reply with quote
tiger_tim wrote:
do you use it over foundation or just on bare skin?

I think you can do both.
I put a thin layer on first before foundation and then I put another layer on after I've applied my mineral make-up.
Some people just use it on their skin without using any foundation at all.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 13, 2005 4:14 am      Reply with quote
I actually use this over foundation. But keep in mind I also use Jane Iredale Absence and Jane Iredale pure pressed base so I have an arsenal of oil controlling products. However, on days when I only use the above items and not the Jurlique silk dust, I have to blot my skin more than once (I have uber oily skin in the summers!). I really like the Jurlique because it smells divine and I think the white powder helps to "diffuse" or soft glow my face. I do agree that the pot that it comes in is not great as far as product packaging goes.
carolb69
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:29 pm      Reply with quote
I have the lavender one and I really like this stuff,I find it gives a more natural finish than other face powders.
s8715
5% products discount

Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:08 am      Reply with quote
Hi, thanks for your review! Can you tell me if the lavender silk dust is more drying than the rose one? Also, does it have a nice smell? I have normal-dry skin but the rose silk dust still irritates my skin a little. I'm thinking about switching to the lavender but am worried it will dry out my skin. Thanks for your help!
jadette
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:55 am      Reply with quote
Since I have pretty oily skin, I haven't noticed that it's dried out my skin. I would think that if you have a good base moisturizer it would just mat your face. As for the smell, it's very nice.
s8715
5% products discount

Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:02 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for your help!
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:20 pm      Reply with quote
Actually, I believe they market the Lavender Silk Dust specifically for those with oily skin (presumably because lavender essential oil helps regulate sebum production) but I honestly don’t think it matters which one that you chose to use, regardless on your skin type. Personally, I’m a greaseball but I prefer the Rose Silk Dust just because I like the scent better than the Lavender....

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 24, 2005 4:59 am      Reply with quote
As caretake said above I dont think it matters,they're just scented.I dont find the lavender too drying Very Happy
amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:27 pm      Reply with quote
i've been using the lavender dust for several months now over my mineral makeup in the mornings and during the day. i really like it. i am very particular when it comes to letting things come into contact with my face during the day. i.e. i try not to touch it because i am afraid of clogging my pores or adding to the bacteria that is already there. i break out very easily. i swear, if i so much as rest my chin on the heel of my hand for 5 seconds i will have a huge zit there the next day Mad . no joke. and i am so careful to wash my hands right before putting any moisturizers etc on my face. i'm almost OCD about it.

ANYWAY, this lavender dust is the only thing i put on my face during the day besides using blotting papers to dull the shinies. it doesn't make me break out and i feel good knowing it's all natural. plus i love the smell. another bonus is that it really helps calm my skin.

early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 09, 2006 11:26 pm      Reply with quote
Ok just bring up an old thread.. but I really have to give my 2 cents since I tried this for the first time today..

I have been up since 7 in the morning, and after 11 hours.. my face is still matte from using this.. looks and feels matte. I almost can't believe how absorbant a thin layer of this is. I had been using kaolin clay for months and months because it was the only thing I thought could help with the oilies.. but the simple corn/rice starch has been even better than kaolin.

I usually get oil breakthrough after 2-3 hours, just in the tzone, and if I sweat then the clay doesn't last very long at holding the oil, so I actually get all-over shine by about early afternoon.

Now with the silk dust, I've had some oil breakthrough in the tzone, but once I blot lightly, the entire face remains matte.

I wish this could be my HG primer but time will tell.. but after one use I'm definitely impressed. (!!)
Mabsy

Wed May 10, 2006 2:20 am      Reply with quote
I'm glad you like this. I've got the rose one (close to running out actually) and use it over the Dr Hauschka translucent makeup to make sure my face stays matte through the day. Works very well and smells heavenly!

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 10, 2006 3:09 am      Reply with quote
I use JI Amazing Base, and found that my face got shiny before lunchtime, especially in the summer . Read about the Rose Dust on this forum, ordered from EDS, and I have to tell you that it has made a huge difference. I don't have to use during the cooler months as my face is dryer then, but I live in a very warm, humid area, so warmer months give me the shinies...I love it.
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 10, 2006 6:31 am      Reply with quote
I ordered the rost dust recently because of a glowing recommendation from carekate, and I must say, I am VERY impressed. First of all, the smell and texture are GORGEOUS. Next, no matter when I apply it-- under mineral makeup, over make up to set it, dusting over face for touch ups, etc it never looks cakey. It definitely keeps the oilies away, but for me, the nicest thing is that it doesn't turn orange. For whatever reason, I've noticed that when I use a lot of so-called translucent or colorless powders, they turn orange eventually due to contact with oil, lotion, sunscreen, whatever. But this one is truly colorless and makes my skin look great! Thanks for the great recommendation carekate and co!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 10, 2006 6:32 am      Reply with quote
PS: It would be so nice if there were a pressed version of this that I could carry in my purse....

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 10, 2006 6:51 am      Reply with quote
manslayerliz wrote:
But this one is truly colorless and makes my skin look great! Thanks for the great recommendation carekate and co!

I did not know these were colorless! I was thinking that they were tinted slightly pink or purple. I have been wanting to try the rose dust for a long time now but had been putting it off because I thought it was colored. I think I might have to add this to my next order! Smile
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 10, 2006 6:55 am      Reply with quote
I know, right? It's a white powder, so I didn't know how it would show up, but I swear, my face has never looked so natural!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 10, 2006 7:30 am      Reply with quote
I’m still madly in love with my Rose Silk Dust – I’m on my 3rd jar! This product, along with my trusty Milk of Magnesia (altogether now, sing the refrain with me: “Yes, the laxative!”) are the lynch-pins in my battle plan to keep oily skin/shiny breakthrough at bay.

My only gripe about the Silk Dust is the fact that the ceramic jar isn’t very portable but I found a solution to that: I bought a refillable mirrored compact from Bare Escentuals (click here to see it: http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P61031&shouldPaginate=true&categoryId=5737) that is meant for schleping around loose mineral makeup and filled it up with my Rose Silk Dust which allows me to have it with me whereever I go for those last minute, emergency touch-ups.

If you are a fan of the Silk Dust but find the Jurlique packaging limiting, I seriously advise you to invest in one of the BE compacts in order to make your Silk Dust portable! It’s not only handy to be able to keep the compact in your handbag at all times, but it’s fab for traveling as well so you don’t have to cart the glass jar around and be fearful that it’ll break. I tried other, cheaper refillable (loose) powder compacts before I caved and splurged on the BE model but they were all made of cheap plastic and the ‘sifter’ didn’t half work and they just generally made a horrible mess, the BE compact is the only one I could find that didn’t leak and cause spillage. If anyone can recommend a cheaper refillable compact for loose powder similar to the BE version please let me know, but I looked high & low for one for months but the BE version was the only one I found.

Anyway, back to the actual subject at hand: like Scarlett O’Hara’s vow not to starve, as God is my witness, I will never, ever be without my Rose Silk Dust again! Wink

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 10, 2006 7:32 am      Reply with quote
Is this truly transluscent of will a MMM go around looking like a ghost? Confused
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 10, 2006 7:45 am      Reply with quote
marina wrote:
Is this truly transluscent of will a MMM go around looking like a ghost? Confused
If I knew what an "MMM" was, I could probably answer your question! Embarassed

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 10, 2006 7:54 am      Reply with quote
Sorry, medium skin tone Laughing I've been on MUA too much!
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 10, 2006 8:06 am      Reply with quote
I don't think this would make anyone look like a ghost--- it really is truly translucent. Mind you, I'm a very fair girl, but this powder let's the peachiness of my skin show--- it doesn't white me out.

Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:24 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |