Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Aloe Vera Gel
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Toe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:21 am      Reply with quote
Does aloe vera gel work as a sufficient moisturiser for the skin?
I've been using 99.9% aloe vera gel to help heal my skin after it went haywire post-op. I've been quite impressed with its healing and anti-inflammatory properties and I've also noticed it has done a good job of tightening my pores and smoothing my skin and therefore making a good primer for applying make-up. I'm not sure how good its moisturising properties are though. I think it seems to be making the fine lines around my eyes a bit more prominent.
I know people recommend aloe vera for its healing and soothing properties but I was wondering what else it can do for your skin. Would it be ok to mix the aloe vera gel in with my usual moisturiser?

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:19 am      Reply with quote
Hey Toe! I've been wondering about this myself, so hopefully someone more knowledgable will help us out. I've been using pure aloe vera gel on my face at night during times when I feel my skin is getting a little worn from my exfoliation products. It's been great but I'm not sure about the moisture part.

When I wake up my skin looks tighter and pores are reduced, but my skin is more "puffy" as well so I have to make sure not to get any of this near my eyes. I made this mistake a few times before I realized it and my eyes were PUFFY! Shock Other than that I really like using this off and on.
Toe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:31 am      Reply with quote
I searched a bit on the internet for information about aloe vera and its properties and supposedly it is absorbed by the skin up to four times faster than water and makes a good moisturiser because of its water holding capacity. This one website I read put this down to the fact that the aloe vera plant is a succulent and therefore retards the natural evaporative process and that it can even draw moisture from the air around us which all helps to keep the skin hydrated.
Perhaps this would help explain why it leaves your eyes puffy, TAMgirl99. It's all that water being retained around your eyes. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:44 am      Reply with quote
I sometimes use aloe vera gel as a face mask, also I always keep a tube of aloe vera gel handy in the kitchen in case I burn myself cooking, it is brilliant for burns.
When I used to have bad acne I used this every night as a moisturiser and my skin was a lot better with this than a normal moisturiser.
I found this site:
http://www.wholehealthmd.com/refshelf/substances_view/1,1525,10001,00.html

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:10 am      Reply with quote
Very interesting! I'm glad to know it even helps stomach ulsers since I've been battling one for quite some time. And yes I had to learn the hard way about retaining water around my eyes. I guess that shows that it does indeed work! Very Happy
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:15 am      Reply with quote
I always have a bottle of Aloe Vera Juice in the fridge for when I have a an upset stomach. I suffered for a few years from IBS and this is the best remedy for a poorly stomach after you have been bad on the toilet.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:31 am      Reply with quote
rosebud wrote:
I always have a bottle of Aloe Vera Juice in the fridge for when I have a an upset stomach. I suffered for a few years from IBS and this is the best remedy for a poorly stomach after you have been bad on the toilet.

Laughing Ah yes one of life's wonderful moments. Do you know if the juice/gel goes bad? I have some juice in my fridge from a few months ago and I'm wondering if it's still any good. I'll check to see if there is a date when I get home as well.
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:13 pm      Reply with quote
I did try natural aloe vera gel on my face as a moisturizer. I seriously don't think it's moisturizing enough. My face felt a bit tight afterwards...so I don't know....as for healing, i was using it on my bruise and don't seem to see much improvement....anyways, I don't get why does it cause your eye areas to be puffy? I see there're many aloe vera eye gel out there, hhmm....
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:29 pm      Reply with quote
Stardustdy wrote:
I did try natural aloe vera gel on my face as a moisturizer. I seriously don't think it's moisturizing enough. My face felt a bit tight afterwards...so I don't know....as for healing, i was using it on my bruise and don't seem to see much improvement....anyways, I don't get why does it cause your eye areas to be puffy? I see there're many aloe vera eye gel out there, hhmm....

I'm no expert but here's my thought on the puffiness and tightness. I think when you put the gel on, all of the moisture in it absorbes into your skin where it is retained, making it puffy. However, since it gets puffier, your skin also gets tighter. I have the same tightening experience but it doesn't bother me at all since I feel that is what makes my pores look smaller and my skin not as saggy. I wonder if it would help to put a moisturizer on over it once it absorbs? Guess I'll be trying that tonight Laughing
pumpingmummy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:02 pm      Reply with quote
What brand do y'all use? I have a cheapie tube (don't even remember what it's called) but it works alright in my aspirin mask...

41 combination skin. Chanel Mat Lumiere Extreme in Beige Ambre for colour ref. I don't wear foundation anymore (thanks to this board I have better and healthier skin than when I was younger). Skincare staples: Retin A, Cleansing oil to remove makeup, BHA cleanser for hormonal breakouts, aloe vera gel, sunscreen.
Gwynnie
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:29 pm      Reply with quote
I mix aloe vera juice with brown rice powder as a body scrub for dry sensitive skin and it works wonders, even for the chicken skin on the back of the upper arms.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:35 pm      Reply with quote
I use aloe vera gel as a mask (left on overnight), the only one i tried was Herballife (i have this auntie who is like a direct marketing product fanatic Laughing ). It worked quite well especially in the beginning to kill any zits quickly and it doesn't leave marks, but overtime it didn't work as well anymore. But i suspect it could also be the chammomile which was one of the ingredients which really soothed anything Question (my skin also loves calendula, chammomile etc)
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:19 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Sparkle,

When you say that you use aloe vera as an "overnight mask" ... can I ask you explain that a little bit?

I gather since the brand you used was Herbalife, that you're not using the "fresh" aloe vera gel ... but rather the sort that one could purchase in a drug store ... that says it's "98%" or "99%" pure aloe vera gel ... but doesn't need to be kept in the refrigerator ... right?

I have both ... but I'm presuming that to use it as a mask you're putting a thick-ish layer of the gel on ... and just leaving it on overnight? I can't imagine being able to do that with the "fresh" straight-from-the-plant gel.

Or do you mix other things with it?

Thanks

Mary

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:45 pm      Reply with quote
umm i'm definitely not using pure aloe vera gel, can't find my bottle at the moment but i know distinctly it contains chammomile and calendula. It doesn't say what % aloe vera though.

I just dab a blob on the face where the zits are, wait for it to dry a bit, then go to bed. It dries reasonably fast so never stains my sheets and pillows. The consistency is different to fresh ones or the ones in the drugstores, absorbs quite fast and doesn't sit on the skin. Herballife is one of those direct marketing brands like Avon etc that you probably need to find a distributor somewhere before you can try anything. Neutral

ohh woops, it's actually a sub brand under Herbalife i think, called Dermajetics. (Dermajetics Herbal Aloe Soothing Gel 200ml) I can't even find this particular product on ebay, so I have no idea where u can get it now. I'm sure there are lots of other better things out there. I rotate between quite a few acne treatment products whenever i get a zit (some works at times, some doesn't). Usually i reach for this last. Mum loves it though. Laughing
skinprofusion
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:08 am      Reply with quote
i've been doing the same thing.. I bought 99.9% organic aloe with seaweed, vit A,C and i've just been using that. i love it. Very Happy
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:30 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |