Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Help me decide on a camera!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Poll :: Which camera do you think I should buy?

A digital camera
94%
 94%  [ 17 ]
A conventional camera
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 18

pumpingmummy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:30 pm      Reply with quote
I need a new camera and I've been thinking of getting a digital one. But having used my brother's digital camera, I've come to the conclusion that I need A LOT of practice before I can take decent photos with it Sad . With a conventional camera, taking sharp photos is peanuts!

Now do I splurge and get a digital camera I don't know how to use, or buy a normal camera that I can take good, clear pictures with? Think

I'd appreciate brand and model recommendations, too, thank you!

41 combination skin. Chanel Mat Lumiere Extreme in Beige Ambre for colour ref. I don't wear foundation anymore (thanks to this board I have better and healthier skin than when I was younger). Skincare staples: Retin A, Cleansing oil to remove makeup, BHA cleanser for hormonal breakouts, aloe vera gel, sunscreen.
Mabsy

Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:45 am      Reply with quote
I have one conventional SRL camera and three digital ones - I would definitely go with digital. I have not had any problems at all with taking sharp crisp pictures - I'm guessing it was more the issue with the camera or incorrect settings in your case.

My favorite digital camera is my FujiFilm z600, it's an older model probably not made any more but it takes absolutely fantastic photos - better than any other digital camera I have tried. It is also very bulky and has a big lens - so I find that while it takes spectacular shots, I never take it with me because it's inconvenient Smile It has automatic mode as well as all the manual settings as well. My most recent addition to my digital camera collection is the Minolta Dimage X50 (5mp). It takes pretty good pictures, not as good as the FujiFilm but I have no problems with sharpness or focussing etc The other camera I have is an old 2MP Nikon - Nikon have good lenses in general but I have not used their newer models.

Bottom line, I'd go with digital as I can see what shot I have just taken and whether it needs to be re-taken. I can also select which photos to get printed out rather than printing out the whole roll of film and throwing out the crap ones.

If you're after digital camera reviews then http://www.dpreview.com/ and http://www.steves-digicams.com/ are great sources for professional reviews and comparisons, and probably some "choosing the right camera" type guides.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:46 am      Reply with quote
Oh yes go with a digital, I too use both but there are more bonuses with using a digital and learning to use it is all part of the fun.
I love that fact I can deleate rubbish photos, just download my pics straight onto the computer, have them put on disk, there are just more options available to you.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:14 am      Reply with quote
GO with digital, I highly recommend Nikon D70, it's foolproof, I bet you will find it very easy to use. It's a little pricey but hey you get what you pay for, right?

If you must get a normal camera, then go with the SLR's. I like Nikon's SLRs because they take good quality pictures.

Photography is very addicting. I take pictures using digital, automatic, and manual cameras, I like them all.
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:34 am      Reply with quote
I got a digital camera from my parents for Christmas last year and it has been the best camera I've ever owned. I HIGHLY recommend it. It's a Cannon PowerShot SD300 Digital Elph and it not only takes fantastic pictures, but it's about the size of a credit card and an only an inch or so thick. It's so small that I just keep in in my purse at all times, so now I'm never without a camera. And it also takes video clips as well. It is the only camera I use anymore. My Cabo pictures turned out like a professionals!
Wild Cat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:20 am      Reply with quote
Definately a digital one... Smile
Even though I am not very computer savy I can always ask my other half to help with photoshop and printing Bad Grin

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:48 am      Reply with quote
Thanks, guys. I need a few more people to vote and then I'll know what to do...

That Cannon Powershot interests me... especially because of its size.

p/s pardon my ignorance, but what is Cabo?

41 combination skin. Chanel Mat Lumiere Extreme in Beige Ambre for colour ref. I don't wear foundation anymore (thanks to this board I have better and healthier skin than when I was younger). Skincare staples: Retin A, Cleansing oil to remove makeup, BHA cleanser for hormonal breakouts, aloe vera gel, sunscreen.
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:50 am      Reply with quote
Since I have been using a digital I would never go back to a traditional camera. You will love it. Very Happy
Ruth
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:15 am      Reply with quote
I'm a bit mixed on this one... After we got the digital we never seem to actually print any photos - they're all in the computer. And I miss the fun of collecting the developed pictures at the shop, looking at them, reminiscing and laughing/being dissapointed at/with the awful pics. Call me old fashioned but I love photoalbums - love putting them together, love looking in them, love showing. I used to sit down once a year and put the years photos in order...nowadays I don't, cause 98% of them are in the computer and I haven't got round to ordering prints on any of them yet... Hmmm... Gonna get my behind into gear...

an irritation with digital is if you don't have a large memory card.. and they're pricy.

But after saying all this I'd go with a digital anyway. You can play around with your pictures in the computer (if you're inclined to learn) and see them right away when you've taken them...

Oh, I don't know! I love my regular camera (Nicon with proper lens) but it's SO heavy to carry around...

I think I got myself and everyone else more confused than necessary with this one Rolling Eyes - sorry

Location: Denmark. Me = 32, think I'm combo without oiliness + sometimes sensitive. Have noticed that skin doesn't heal as quickly anymore and I've developed fine lines around my eyes... Hormonal breakouts which are sometimes cystic. PCOS
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:25 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm a bit mixed on this one... After we got the digital we never seem to actually print any photos - they're all in the computer.

Ruth,

I don't print my photos from home as I don't think they last as long. I am a big scrapbooker. I look over my photos and decide on the ones I want then upload them to Kodak. Kodak processes them and I usually have the prints in 4 day.
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:59 am      Reply with quote
pumpingmummy wrote:
That Cannon Powershot interests me... especially because of its size.

p/s pardon my ignorance, but what is Cabo?

Sorry, it's short for Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. WONDERFUL place! If you want to PM me I can send you some beautiful pics that my Cannon took. I have everything from pics of my cruise, Cabo trip, friends and even my pets and they are all so crisp and clear. Plus I love that I can edit them on the computer if I don't like the way my hair or something turns out. Laughing
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:07 am      Reply with quote
Mabsy - I have the Fujifilm S304, which sounds very similar to yours. It's a bit bulky, but takes fantastic pics, and that big optical zoom is great. Thankfully, I now have a huge handbag which means I can take carry it with me more easily.

I don't think I'd ever want to go back to a conventional camera. Love my digital way too much!
Ruth
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:54 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
Ruth,

I don't print my photos from home as I don't think they last as long. I am a big scrapbooker. I look over my photos and decide on the ones I want then upload them to Kodak. Kodak processes them and I usually have the prints in 4 day.

I'll look into that, thanx Winnie Smile

Location: Denmark. Me = 32, think I'm combo without oiliness + sometimes sensitive. Have noticed that skin doesn't heal as quickly anymore and I've developed fine lines around my eyes... Hormonal breakouts which are sometimes cystic. PCOS
cbrooke
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:19 pm      Reply with quote
I love the Cannon powershot It is sooo small and cute Smile

I have a older Sony digital camera that is pretty big compared to todays models. I actually hated the camera at first, but once you get all the setting correct it is super easy to use. Best of all you can immediately erase any unflattering photos of yourself Laughing
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:15 am      Reply with quote
Well Guapaboy is a photographer and works in wet B&W, so I'm generally biased to film cameras. However, digital cameras are getting better and cheaper all the time and I think for snaps they are way better.

We have a Canon power shot G5 and it is great. Depending on how much you want to spend, go for 3megapixels plus and try to get one with an optical zoom rather than a digital one.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:13 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you all so much, I'm leaning towards digital... but I have another question: would a cell phone with a camera be good, too, or should a camera be *just* a camera?

System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:50 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |