Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Question about toners...why do we??
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Ruth
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:33 am      Reply with quote
Hey fellow crazies Very Happy

I faithfully use a toner, and have been for the last couple of years. Am using this one, it's my second bottle http://www.essentialdayspa.com/decleor-matifying-lotion-p_1143.htm - and I use it cause my ex facial lady (stopped going cause it was so costly and I was displeased with a couple of waxes she did,but she's the one who introduced me to decleor) told me I needed it. Don't get me wrong - I like using it, feels fresh and it's what I'm used to doing in my rutine...

My question is, and bear with me on this one - why do we use toners? what do they actually do? Clean off the last possible residue from facewashing??? prepare for the products to come???

Dancing in my chair (got the latest Madonna playing on the comoputer)

Location: Denmark. Me = 32, think I'm combo without oiliness + sometimes sensitive. Have noticed that skin doesn't heal as quickly anymore and I've developed fine lines around my eyes... Hormonal breakouts which are sometimes cystic. PCOS
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:59 am      Reply with quote
Hi Ruth,

Now, don't take this as gospel ... because I could be wrong on this ... Laughing ... but I think we use toner for all the reasons you listed ... plus a couple more.

1. It will take care of any possible residue left from the cleansing stage.

2. It "conditions" the skin in preparation for the other products that you will use.

3. It helps to add both moisture and nourishing elements to the skin. [For some, particularly at night, toner is the only moisturizer that will be used.]

4. Because of the cooling aspect of it, it might help to tighten pores.

5. There is almost always some degree of astringent action of toners ... and in the case of problem skin, this action helps to clear up spots along with the pore tightening that toners have.

As you can see ... none of those reasons is postulated in a scientific manner ... but that's what I think toners do for the skin.

I'm sure that there are other, more scientific reasons that toners are used ... and hopefully others will post them. Laughing

Mary

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:05 am      Reply with quote
Well I use Witch Hazel and in the summer a mixture of Witch Hazel and Rose water.
I have oily and congested skin so for me a toner closes up my pores after cleansing, conditions my skin, treats any spots/congested areas and stops my skin from going too oily.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:38 am      Reply with quote
I think the reason I asked really was cause I noticed last night that I use it out of habit without really knowing why...and I don't like not knowing Laughing

I'm buying these
Quote:

2. It "conditions" the skin in preparation for the other products that you will use.

5. There is almost always some degree of astringent action of toners ... and in the case of problem skin, this action helps to clear up spots along with the pore tightening that toners have.

as absolute and universal thruths!( Wink ) And definitly the possible nourishing and oil controling elements of the toner, depending on the toner...

thanx girls:)

Location: Denmark. Me = 32, think I'm combo without oiliness + sometimes sensitive. Have noticed that skin doesn't heal as quickly anymore and I've developed fine lines around my eyes... Hormonal breakouts which are sometimes cystic. PCOS
fishzebby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:51 pm      Reply with quote
I used to not believing in using toner last year because I just don't think it's a necessary step and I have dry skin and I don't like the feeling of rubbing my face too much with cottonball even they are soft. Yet, I noticed that my pore got enlarged and I got blackhead on my nose area. Now, I used it alot since it just reversed all those problems. Thumb up for toner.

I used Clarin Toner for dry skin which also contains chamomile. Love it...

I would say Toner is a must
Agave
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:57 pm      Reply with quote
I am a toner fiend... always have been. I find it especially useful for making the face damp to more easily apply Decleor's Ylang-Ylang/Neroli oils.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:17 am      Reply with quote
I have never really been big on toners.. too lazy I guess, but I find they can be useful to "moisten" the skin before applying cream when the air is dry to to take any oily residue from cream cleansers off. To moisten the skin before applying a mask I prefer a squirt of rosewater or depsea water.

Mind you, I hate the spiel companies give that they should remove the last trace of dirt and make-up - IMO if there is coloration on the cotton from either one you should wash your face again!!

The last one I used semi-regularly was the epiderm hydroxy one, but could not get "into" it. I recently had samples of the Shu Uemura nano water and OMG that was wonderful. It just might convert me over to using one every day. Laughing
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:15 am      Reply with quote
hpjrt wrote:
Hi Ruth,

Now, don't take this as gospel ... because I could be wrong on this ... Laughing ... but I think we use toner for all the reasons you listed ... plus a couple more.

3. It helps to add both moisture and nourishing elements to the skin. [For some, particularly at night, toner is the only moisturizer that will be used.]

4. Because of the cooling aspect of it, it might help to tighten pores.

As you can see ... none of those reasons is postulated in a scientific manner ... but that's what I think toners do for the skin.

I'm sure that there are other, more scientific reasons that toners are used ... and hopefully others will post them. Laughing

Mary
In addition to everything that Mary listed, toner also helps restore the Ph balance to your skin following
cleansing so the acid mantle is maintained. I think just about everybody who’s been around here for a while already knows my feeling regarding the necessity of using a toner and which one that I use! Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:21 am      Reply with quote
I use SK-II Facial Treatment Essence as my toner. I don't use a cotton ball, I just pat it on my face with my palm. I really like how it make my skin soft and glow.

I am with tiger-tim on if there is still excess on your face that you need to use a cotton ball to wipe if of, then maybe you shall wash your face again.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:51 pm      Reply with quote
Carekate, which would that be? Laughing Laughing

I really should stop drinking my ACV and try the toner...
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:36 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |