Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Best Foundation Primer with silicone?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
SugarFreeSheila
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:55 pm      Reply with quote
I have been looking for an excellent foundation primer for the evenings when I apply foundation. One with silicone, and with a pretty matte finish - one that makes foundation look flawless.

Thanks for any tips!
dolcegal

Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:04 pm      Reply with quote
I think Smashbox Photofinish is the best out there, not that I'm a big expert. I do like it a lot though.
SugarFreeSheila
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:38 pm      Reply with quote
I don't believe this one contains silicone. Also, is it a gel formula? While I want mattifying, I feel that drying would defeat the purpose.
TooInvolved
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:46 pm      Reply with quote
ModelCo FaceBase
http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P96119&shouldPaginate=true&categoryId=5792
phredd4
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:22 pm      Reply with quote
SugarFreeSheila wrote:
I don't believe this one contains silicone. Also, is it a gel formula? While I want mattifying, I feel that drying would defeat the purpose.

If you are talking about Smashbox, it does indeed contain silicones. Silicones are the first two ingredients. I'm not sure, but I think the third ingredient is a "cone" also.

The ingredients list and description are listed below. Hope this helps!

-Cheri

Smashbox PhotoFinish Ingredients:
.93 oz: Cyclomethicone, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Isopropylparaben, Retinyl Palmitate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Ascorbic Acid, Carthamus Tinctorium (Safflower) Seed Oil, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Extract, Cola Acuminata Seed Extract, Propylene Glycol, Camellia Oleifera Leaf Extract, Isobutylparaben, Butylparaben, Water.

Description:
Smashbox makeup artists use this product to create a perfect canvas for foundation application. The silky blend of vitamins and antioxidants does double-duty as a primer and a mattifier, while the unique formula helps to inhibit the destruction of collagen, and fills in fine lines.
Carrie11381
5% products discount

Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:32 pm      Reply with quote
Something to consider:

Silicone emollients are occlusive - that is they coat the skin, trapping anything beneath it, and do not allow the skin to breathe (much like plastic wrap would do.)
Recent studies have indicated that prolonged exposure of the skin to sweat, by occlusion, causes skin irritation. Some synthetic emollients are known tumour promoters and accumulate in the liver and lymph nodes. They are also non-biodegradable, causing negative environmental impact.

Dimethicone
Dimethicone Copolyol
Cyclomethicone
betterat40
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:23 pm      Reply with quote
Smashbox Photo Finish is my pick, too. Silicones don't bother me at all. In fact, I love cyclomethicone? sp? in eye moisturizer. Leaves such a nice smooth finish.
muzzie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:42 pm      Reply with quote
I love the Smashbox Photo Finish primer too... ( the apricot one is particularly nice) if you are feeling rather well off you can try La Prairie's Rose line filler one .... that is a silicon base one as well.
In all honesty though it isnt labelled as a "primer" the same can be said of Dermalogica's Barrier Repair... that is sooooooo similar to the Smashbox Photo Finish primer in every way. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:26 am      Reply with quote
I'm using Lise Watier pore minimizing primer, anyone try that b4? I found that it's quite silky in texture and does provide a matte finish when applied, but it doesn't do much for the pores. I have no idea what ingredients are there cuz they don't have it labeled.

Also, has anyone try the Biotherm UV makeup base? It comes in a few different colors to correct skintone and also it has SPF 25...I wonder if they're good or not? And what about Red Earth makeup base? It comes in a few different colors to correct skin tone too. They also have a base that is a UV base, moisturing, and mattifying. So let me know if anyone try it before...thanks!

So anyone has any skin irritation or problems with the Smashbox Photo Finish Primer with long term use? Sorry for the questions but I'm desperate to find a perfect primer too...hehe Laughing
SugarFreeSheila
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:40 pm      Reply with quote
Oh, these are great replies; thank you! Goodness, I did not realize Cyclomethicone & Dimethicone were silicone ingredients - my apologies! Surprised

It seems that Smashbox receives almost unanimous raves among those who have tried it. Yesterday, I ended up ordering the Laura Mercier Primer just to try it out, and will give the Smashbox one a try afterward.
phredd4
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:48 pm      Reply with quote
SugarFreeSheila wrote:
Oh, these are great replies; thank you! Goodness, I did not realize Cyclomethicone & Dimethicone were silicone ingredients - my apologies! Surprised

It seems that Smashbox receives almost unanimous raves among those who have tried it. Yesterday, I ended up ordering the Laura Mercier Primer just to try it out, and will give the Smashbox one a try afterward.

Since I love LM Tinted Moisturizer I had high hopes for the LM Primer. I hope you like it better than I did. For me, it didn't make my face any smoother, nor made my makeup application any easier. It's a light watery liquid/moisturizer type primer with no silicone at all. It may have made my makeup stay on a tad longer as all primers do, but it did nothing to hide imperfections. It just didn't do what I hoped it would. I'll take a silicone primer over this one any day!

I heard many raves on this product before I bought it, so be sure to post your review once you've tried it! Good luck!

-Cheri
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:01 am      Reply with quote
I use the clear smashbox primer. I do find it a bit mattifying...I can wear it without foundation and not get shiny

Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:06 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |