Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

what is OCM
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
lisarousie
5% products discount

Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:15 am      Reply with quote
hee hee i feel so stupid but i dont know what OCM is?
help
thanks

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:25 am      Reply with quote
"Oil Cleansing Method"

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:39 pm      Reply with quote
As I am also a newbie, I searched for OCM. I copied and pasted this very helpful info from an earlier post written by Mary aka "hpjrt".
Chris

"Here is an "article" detailing the Oil Cleansing Method that I saved when I first began using this.

Oil Cleansing Method, or OCM
When cleansing and moisturizing your skin, it is imperative that you keep in mind that oil disolves oil. Do not be afraid of applying oil to your face. Oil, alone, will not cause you blemishes. Pimples, cysts, zits, blackheads and whiteheads are a result of several different factors including hormones, bacteria, dead skin cells and the buildup of these factors. Your skin naturally produces oil because it needs it. It is not a malicious force to be reckoned with, it is there for the benefit of your skin. It is naturally occurring. Oil helps lubricate, heal, protect, and moisturize your skin so that it may function properly. Properly functioning skin is beautiful, clear, and glowing.

While I'm talking about the benefits of oil applied externally, I'd like to mention how important it is to moisturize from the inside as well. WATER! Drink no less than 8 glasses of water a day. If your skin has issues with blemishes, drink up! Water will help release and remove the toxins from within, leaving behind glowing, dewey, toned skin. Carry a bottle of water around with you throughout the day so water is always available.

Now, to the point of this article.

Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) is used for moisture, while Castor Oil (CO) is used for cleansing. Castor Oil tends to be a bit on the thick side, so a mix of the two (EVOO/CO) is frequently used. This allows for the Castor Oil to really sink into the pores and draw out the dirt and grime to the surface. You can vary this ratio to match your skins needs. More EVOO for moisture or more CO for cleansing (25/75 EVOO/CO for Oily skin, or 75/25 EVOO/CO for dry skin). EVOO is incredibly high in antioxidants, while CO is excellent for drawing and healing. CO has been the focus of many books and medical discussion because of its seemingly "magical" healing properties. It only makes sense (after a bit of research) that one would use CO on their face to help treat blemishes and acne, or simply to make their skin look and feel better.

As quoted in The Oil That Heals by Dr. McGarey, a country doctor (unknown?) states, "Castor oil will leave the body in better condition than it found it."

The Routine:
Massage a substantial amount (the cup of your palm, while hand is held open) of EVOO/CO into your face and neck.

This is to be done over makeup or any visible dirt. Take this time to give yourself a facial massage. Really work the oil into your skin. Take your time, breathe deeply, and relax. Sit down to do this if it helps.

You, of course, do not have to sit and relax, but keep in mind that stress isn't good for your skin and you should take any moment you can to destress and let tension float away.

Take a washcloth, terry cloth or flannel preferred, and soak it in steamy hot water. Wring it out and drape it over your face.

What we are doing is steaming your face as an esthetician would, but without the steam machine. You want to open your pores. This helps release any impurities from deep within your pores.

As the washcloth begins to cool, gently wipe the oil and dirt away. This will also help remove any dead skin cells that are stubbornly clinging on.

Rinse the washcloth out in hot water and wipe away any remaining impurities. You may have to do this two or three times more to remove any remaining dirt and oil residue, but it will come off leaving your skin with a beautiful, healthy glow. No additional cleansing is necessary.

After you have rinsed well, you can either splash your face with cool water to help tone and close your pores, or if your face feels tight, you can moisturize.

If your skin feels tight, take a tiny drop of your EVOO/CO, rub it between your clean, damp palms and pat it into your damp skin. Massage any oil residue into your skin so there is no film of oil left sitting on the surface. Being prone to breakouts, myself, I've found that this is perhaps the most important step.

This is the best cleansing method I've ever used ... and it began clearing up my blackhead problem almost immediately.

Indeed I find the entire "routine" very relaxing ... and while it sounds "time consuming" it really doesn't take very long once you get the hang of it.

Hope this helps.

Mary"

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:22 am      Reply with quote
OMG!!! I read a ton of posts on here about this method for cleansing. And I'm thinking to myself "Self - wouldn't just pulling into Jiffy Lube be about the same thing?" Hmmm... well, let's give it a try. What's the worst that can happen? I look like a 15 yr old boy in heat? I just finished doing my 1st OCM and have been on the phone ever since calling all my friends telling them to do this. Cleansing is one thing, I even started re-reading posts. No where did I see anything about helping with wrinkles. The 3 deep lines in my forehead - GONE!!! Now - Im sure this isn't a permanent effect but holy cow!!! I am utterly and completely amazed!

(I am a 40yr old woman with normal skin, not prone to breakouts etc. But - work outside and spent too many years sunworshipping)

I can't wait to do this on hubby!! (He secretly enjoys the pampering I do on him, and don't tell his friends he lets me wax his crazy professor eyebrows!) His skin is very oily with alot of old acne scars, blackheads. Overall, his skin is a mess.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:18 am      Reply with quote
Candy8865 wrote:
I can't wait to do this on hubby!! (He secretly enjoys the pampering I do on him, and don't tell his friends he lets me wax his crazy professor eyebrows!)
His secret is safe with us! Very Happy Just out of curiosity, what kind of socks do you recommend? I hadn't really given much thought to whether mine were cheap or not.... (For those of you who think I'm completely daft talking about socks, I'm referring to the quote in Candy's "signature")

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:35 am      Reply with quote
So, to get clear in my own head, OCM is used instead of washing your face with soap (or equivalent)? and to take off make up?? Smile

Then where does the Vit C serum etc fit in!

Z
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:57 am      Reply with quote
Zoe wrote:
So, to get clear in my own head, OCM is used instead of washing your face with soap (or equivalent)? and to take off make up?? Smile Then where does the Vit C serum etc fit in!
You apply to Vit-C serum AFTER cleansing your face with the oil. And yes, OCM replaces using soap or cleanser to remove the dirt/makeup/oils (!) from your face.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:18 pm      Reply with quote
It's a long time saying in my house which actually is "life's too short to wear cheap socks or drink cheap beer" Razz The beer part would be hubby as I use it only to marinate steaks. But - I believe the question is about good socks. I am a sock fiend. I work outside, in all kinds of weather. 1st thing that gets cold is my feet which then ruins me, I can never get warm until I get my feet back to normal. Geez - too much info eh? Confused I buy ALL my socks from a company on the net called the <can you believe it> Sock Company and I purchase ONLY Wigwam king cotton. I'm a workout maniac too and it's the only comfy sock I have wash after wash. In the stores a pair of these <in the Chicago area> are nearly 10 bucks a pop. This site sells em for under 5 per pair. LOL - took the long road there, but did I answer the question?

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:22 pm      Reply with quote
Oh - and did hubby's OCM today. He's EXTREMELY oily lots of black & white heads. Lots of old scarring from really bad acne as a teen. I was really pleased to see how he looked after. And he enjoyed the steam.

I know I'm probably gonna regret asking this b/c everyone will have their own ideas but... any other ideas what I can do to help him with his complexion issues. It really bugs him and is open to letting me do about anything to me to remedy it.

Thanks in advance, Candy

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:02 am      Reply with quote
Candy8865 wrote:
I know I'm probably gonna regret asking this b/c everyone will have their own ideas but... any other ideas what I can do to help him with his complexion issues. It really bugs him and is open to letting me do about anything to me to remedy it.
Fortunately, my suggestions for your husband are ones that will not end up breaking the bank:

• Make up a bottle of homemade ACV toner and get him to begin using it regularly, after he washes his face or shaves;

• Make up a batch of homemade aspirin mask and get him to apply it a couple times per week;

• Check out the possiblity of using Dr. Hauschka's Cleansing Cream (or homemade verion);

• Check out the possibility of him using a vitamin C serum (there is also -- suprise! -- a recipe for homemade version)

• Check out the possibility of him using a product like Decleor Ylang Ylang Aromessence Oil (or homemade version) or Dr. Hauschka's Normalizing Day Oil.

Use of the above products really helped me to get my super-oily skin under control. You can either buy ready-made versions of all the items mentioned above, or you can find simple recipes for homemade versions at this link: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=5981

HTH,
Carrie

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:49 am      Reply with quote
As always, you are so helpful. Don't think getting him to use the stuff you listed would be a problem. The problem is getting him to remember. It took MONTHS for him to do his own OoO mask!

So - back to robbing my kitchen and turning my master bath into a lab, Laughing !

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:13 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
It took MONTHS for him to do his own OoO mask!

Okay ... what's an OoO mask? Laughing

Mary

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:00 pm      Reply with quote
Embarassed Oops, sorry OoO = Oil Of Old age err umm I meant Olay Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:28 pm      Reply with quote
Carekate,

Are the homemade versions of ACV toner and Vit. C serum safe for super sensitive skin types and skin that is broken out?
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:49 am      Reply with quote
cloe wrote:
Carekate,

Are the homemade versions of ACV toner and Vit. C serum safe for super sensitive skin types and skin that is broken out?
Yes, BUT you should make the toner VERY diluted (say 1 part ACV to 7 parts water to make an 8-oz bottle of toner). Also, I have found it very soothing/calming for my sometimes sensitive skin to substitute or mix chamomile tea (brewed with distilled or purified water) with the green tea that I call for in my original recipe. You can also add a few drops of various essential oils that are specifically suited to sensitive skin. I have, in fact, made several EDS members a bottle of ACV toner that was custom-blended to be suitable for sensitive skin -- I can't recall the recipe off-hand, but I have it written down at home and can provide it to you at another time if you are interested.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:48 am      Reply with quote
I just last week started using OCM because I was getting chapped skin form the cold. It's great I see a real improvement in a very short time.

I used EVOO and avocado oil with anothe blend with vit E.
hattie
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:30 am      Reply with quote
Anyone ever use DHC's from Japan cleansing oil? It has Olive oil, rosemary oil & vitamin E in it. I love it!
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:26 am      Reply with quote
hattie wrote:
Anyone ever use DHC's from Japan cleansing oil? It has Olive oil, rosemary oil & vitamin E in it. I love it!
Yes, I have used and liked the DHC cleansing oil, but it should be noted that the DHC cleansing oil is not used in the same manner as OCM.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:31 am      Reply with quote
Hi Carekate,

Thanks for the reply. And yes, I'd definately be interested in the sensitive skin recipe, when you get the chance. That would be great!

Cloe
Candy8865
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:45 pm      Reply with quote
CareKat - Finally found the cold castor oil, and as it turns out they also had a cold extra virgin olive oil <who knew?> Know you said the cold castor was preferred, what's your opinion on the cold olive too?

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:30 am      Reply with quote
Do you think the EVOO could be replaced with jojoba oil?

Z
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:08 am      Reply with quote
Zoe wrote:
Do you think the EVOO could be replaced with jojoba oil?
Yes.

Candy8865 wrote:
CareKat - Finally found the cold castor oil, and as it turns out they also had a cold extra virgin olive oil <who knew?> Know you said the cold castor was preferred, what's your opinion on the cold olive too?
Any type of cold-pressed oil is preferable over those that are manufactured via heat processing because the heat kills out all the “good stuff” in the various oils...so get back there and snag a bottle of that cold-pressed EVOO!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:09 am      Reply with quote
Ha! Already got it, figured if it wasn't the right stuff could always use it in the kitchen!!

5% products discount

Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:22 pm      Reply with quote
thanks for all this info. this is great-i had no idea what ocm was either!
TooInvolved
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:24 pm      Reply with quote
The OCM rocks! I'm an oily girl and thought this wouldn't work for me. But so far I love it. I've only been doing it for a couple days, so we'll see how it does my skin long term.

My skin seems kinda dewy by EOD now, not greasy or too shiny.

Two questions: does anyone know of any ready-made oil cleansers out there? any brands of cleasing oils that can be used similarly to the homemade recipe?

And for other oily girls, has OCM interfered w/makeup application or wear for you at all? For ex: does your cheek color drag?

Sorry if these Q have been addressed already. Thanks!
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:05 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |