Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
"Winterize" my looks!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Sharkbait
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:32 am      Reply with quote
I just had an epiphany. I was outside in the icy cold Norwegian winter, playing with my daughter.
When we came back inside, I noticed how great my colouring (dark brunette, fair neutral-cool complxion, green eyes) looked after being out in the cold. I had this really pretty pinkk glow to my cheeks and lips, and for some reason I looked radiant. Shock

So, oracles, how do I recreate this look without spending most of my day with my head in the freezer? Product tips very welcome.

Cheers
Wild Cat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:16 pm      Reply with quote
Have you ever tried Nars Organsm blush? or Rimmel Santa Rose? They are a natural peachy pink that suits all complexation and you can create a really natural blush on your cheeks.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:19 pm      Reply with quote
No I haven´t, but thanks so much for the tip. I´ve never tried either line, but I´ve seen that Orgasm gets great reviews.

Is there such a thing as a brightening eye shadow? I mean, that is sort of fleshtoned, but ehm, brightening?
Wild Cat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:24 pm      Reply with quote
Generally, white or silver shimmer eye shadows give a brightening look to the face. You can apply those at the arch of your eyebrows and at the inner corner of your eyes to create a brightening look.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:27 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Wild Cat!

I´m having too much fun in this forum, I might end up broke.
Sharkbait
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:59 am      Reply with quote
Wow, there certainly is a whole bunch of brightening type eyeshadows out there. Does anyone have a foolproof suggestion? *eye shadow virgin*
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:46 am      Reply with quote
Wild Cat I love Rimmel Santa Rose blush Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:50 pm      Reply with quote
There are so many different eye-brightening products out there. One I use is Jordana, not sure of the color--it's a very light shimmery pinkish/cream colored pencil, very inexpensive, too. Looks nice on inner corner of eyes. Origins has a nice one, also. It's a pale blue color eye pencil; forget what it's called, though. Paula Dorf Creamblush in Playmate is very nice for that flushed look--nice formula for my over 40 skin, too. Glides on, doesn't emphasis pores, and is glowy without glitter/shimmers. Also, Shu Uemura P red 14 is gorgeous, but must be applied with a very light hand. And it looks great on lips mixed with a little lip balm! HTH Very Happy
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:11 pm      Reply with quote
So I just made a quick trip to Walmart and picked up one of the Rimmel Santa Rose blushes and since it was so cheap ($2) I decided to try the one called "Berry" as well. I just put both on, one on each cheek, to see which one I liked more. While I did like the SR and from the container thought it would be my winner, I have to say that I LOVE the Berry one even more. It actually gave me more of a glow. I think the glow came from the fact that it works completely in sync with my skintone and therefore made it "pop" more than the SR. However, I do love both!
Very Happy

I have yet to figure out what my skintone is. I think I'm pretty cool toned b/c I have the blue/purple veins and a LOT of pink in my skin. But, being a brunette with brown/green eyes, I look HORRIBLE in most pinks. This is why I'm having such a hard time figuring out what lip color looks best on me. If it has any orange tone to it at all I look like a clown. I'm going to get my friend that works for Mary Kay to bring me LOTS of lippie samples so I can figure it out and quick blowing my cash. Rolling Eyes Sorry to get of topic!
m.april
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:26 pm      Reply with quote
Jala - The Paula Dorf tip is interesting since, at least in winter, I prefer cream blush that isn't shimmery at all. Thanks! Actually, I've found Revlon cream blushes to be very good for me (First Blush and Berry Flirtatious are my favorite colors because they're most natural-looking on me). I've tried SO many brands, but I'm always on the lookout for more!

T. LeClerc powder blush in Rose Sable is a nice neutral pink -- not too cool or dark. Like TAMgirl99, I can't wear anything with an orange cast to it, so that's why I haven't tried Nars Orgasm. But I can't wear cool pinks either!

As far as lip color goes, Laura Mercier Baby Lips is my favorite for a natural look. Bare Lips is my second favorite (a little browner but still not too dark and very natural-looking).

All of these products give me a natural flushed appearance, which I prefer. And makeup is probably better for the skin than exposing it to extremely cold weather to achieve pinkness. The trick is finding the right products and applying them correctly. My husband always laughs when people remark that I'm a "natural beauty".
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:53 am      Reply with quote
m.april wrote:

As far as lip color goes, Laura Mercier Baby Lips is my favorite for a natural look. Bare Lips is my second favorite (a little browner but still not too dark and very natural-looking).

m.april - Where do you buy the Laura Mercier from, online or is it available in stores somewhere? Same question for the Bare Lips. I'm looking for something similar but would like to try them out if possible before spending a lot of money. I hate buying this type of product online when I've never tried it because there are WAY too many colors to choose from! Rolling Eyes

By the way since we're on to the "natural" lip look, I happened to pick up the cheapest 80's looking brand lip gloss at Walmart last night called "Love my lips" in "very mauve". Well, when I got home I realized it was much more like a light neutral color with soft brown tones but I decided to give it a go anyways. Well, I have to say that so far I LOVE it. It's got the perfect lip gloss texture for me, not sticky at all, and even has a slight cooling effect. The cooling effect is NOTHING like Lip Inflation (since that makes my lips feel like they're in ice!) but more of a refreshing feel. I really like it a lot and think for now it might be my HG "natural" lip gloss. I think it was around $2 too!
m.april
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:43 am      Reply with quote
Hi TAMgirl99 - I buy Laura Mercier products at our local Saks Fifth Avenue, but they're also sold at Sephora. Baby Lips and Bare Lips are in their "sheer" range, and indeed they are -- they're lighter yet moisturizing and not nearly as heavy as most lipsticks. I've bought them over and over again. There are other colors available in the sheer range, but these two looked most natural on me, and the difference between the two is very subtle, the Bare Lips being a little less pink (slightly more beige), and a little paler. I use it when I'm wearing earthier-colored clothing, but I generally wear a lot of black so I use Baby Lips more often.

I know what you mean about the vast selection of lip color -- I've bought and tossed MANY more than I've kept. Achieving a "natural" look for everyday use is challenging!
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:20 am      Reply with quote
Sharkbait wrote:
Wow, there certainly is a whole bunch of brightening type eyeshadows out there. Does anyone have a foolproof suggestion? *eye shadow virgin*
Wow, you must be telepathic or something because around the very moment you were typing this post, I was wandering around in Sephora, wondering if I ought to buy you the Anastasia “EyeLight” highlighting pencil even though I hadn’t okayed it with you first....I opted to go ahead and pick it up for you in the hopes that you would trust my judgment on this recommendation, and then I read this post and it’s like “snap” – just what the doctor ordered! Very Happy

I’m not given to raving about eye products, other than lash growth serums or DIY tinting kits, but I cannot recommend this eye/brow highlighting pencil enough. The irony is that I never would have tried the EyeLight pencil or known it existed if it hadn’t come as part of the 7-piece Anastasia brow grooming kit I bought in order to get my hands on the Anastasia tweezers (which are 100 times more effective than Tweezerman, IMHO), brow pomade and brow scissors.... At first, one can be forgive for nearly fainting upon viewing the $22USD price tag for a simple eye highlighting pencil, but once you try it for yourself you’ll quickly find that $22 is a small price to pay for luminous, well-rested looking eyes!

The Eyelight pencils come in both “Matte” and “Shimmering” shades and I have to say that I prefer the matte versions for everyday wear because it gives your eyes this extra little “oomph,” without looking like you’re wearing any type of heavy or overly-made up eye makeup at all.

If your local Sephora store carries the Anastasia line, you should seriously check out the EyeLight pencil on your brow bone and see what a difference it makes!

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:59 am      Reply with quote
OMG, I think I´ve found my HG and it´s not even a product, it has to be Carekate. Wink You´re just fab! Thanks ever so much, I´m so impressed with all your advice and help!
crazyskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:18 pm      Reply with quote
Hiya m.april Smile I'm a really big fan of the Laura Mercier Bare Lips myself. Its a terrific shade! I wanted to love the Baby Lips but I have medium-toned skin and that lighter shade washes me out.

This past weekend I was sorting through my admittedly fetish-qualifying collection of lipsticks Laughing and I rediscovered Prescriptives in Cassis. Its a red on the bright side but applied with a light hand over a layer of balm it gives a flushed look. Sort of like the color you get after sucking on a cherry lollipop.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:20 pm      Reply with quote
Hi crazyskin - Your point about applying lipcolor over balm (though not *immediately* -- I have to let the balm sink in a bit first) is something I also do (especially in winter) and forgot to mention. This does help to achieve a more natural look, and like you said, can tone down a too-bright lipcolor. It also softens the look of lipliner. The Laura Mercier sheers are my hands-down favorites! And if I want a glossier finish, I use a bit of Lipfusion.

I've been on the fence about Trish McEvoy's Shell eyeliner/highlighter and wonder if it could be similar to the Anastasia highlighter. But caretake's advice about the matte one has me thinking I should try it instead! I'd use it on the inner corners of my eyes, rather than the brow bone -- what do you think?
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:14 am      Reply with quote
m.april wrote:
I've been on the fence about Trish McEvoy's Shell eyeliner/highlighter and wonder if it could be similar to the Anastasia highlighter. But caretake's advice about the matte one has me thinking I should try it instead! I'd use it on the inner corners of my eyes, rather than the brow bone -- what do you think?
I can’t comment on whether or not the Trish McEvoy shell eyeliner thing is exactly like the Anastasia Eyelight because Trish is one of the “major” cosmetic lines NOT carried by Sephora (the others would be MAC and Bobby Brown) and I don’t think there’s any other store in Austin that carries TM’s products, either....

But, yeah, the Anastasia Eyelight pencil can be used all over the eye area. IMO, the formulation of this pencil is unique because it goes on creamy but instant turns to a powdery finish that is easy to smudge and/or blend. When I was at Sephora the other day getting sharkbait’s stuff, I tried the matte and shimmering Eyelight pencils side by side and while the shimmer ones were lovely, I’d only recommend that type of look for special occasions and/or nights on the town. I definitely wouldn’t wear the shimmer Eyelight to work or when I wanted a low-key effect. The matte Eyelight just gives this little extra “oomph,” while looking completely natural. I want to say it’s a Y-E-B-B effect (your eyes, but better) – it just makes your eyes look really well-rested and sparkling, no matter how late you might have been up the night before! I hadn’t thought of applying my Eyelight to the inner corner of my eyes before, but I’m going to go do it right now....

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:23 am      Reply with quote
I really have to stop reading these threads! I've been looking for an eye "brightener" and now I'm dying to try the Anastasia one!

Carekate - Does it help with dark circles? I don't really have "circles" but the inner corners of my eyes are dark b/c of the blue veins there and I'm looking for something to eliminate this. Also, do you or anyone else know of a product that's good for this? I can't imagine anything that would make my skin thick enough in that area to hid the veins, but I thought I might as well ask.

As for the Laura Mercier glosses, I went to Nordstroms on Saturday and sat down with the sales lady. I told her my delimna that every color I try on changes colors on me. You can put a plum on me and it will turn orange! Shock So she tried everyone of the "bitten" glosses on me and they all looked awful. So we moved on to the "glaze" glosses and I absolutely fell in love with Amber Rose. It's the most awesome color I've ever seen! It's a light mauve color but it has coppery sparkles and it looks amazing. So I spent the $20 to get it and went on my way. By the time I made it to my car I realized I had made a huge mistake. This is the stickiest lip gloss I've ever worn. The wind kept blowing my hair into it and then it made my hair all gooey! On top of that when I smiled, all of the beautiful copper sparkles had migrated into the lines on my lips, so I looked like a tiger! It's such a shame b/c this really is the prettiest lip color I've ever seen. The reviews on MUA are even great but I don't see how any of them get past the stickiness! My search continues...
lefemme
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:19 am      Reply with quote
Hi all. Would someone tell me where you put the Anastasia Eyelight liner? I just ordered Benefit's Frosty Eye to use on the inside of my lower lashes--which really makes the whites of my eyes stand out. You all mention you use this pencil near your brow? Are you referring to the area directly below your brow? That's where I normally use some ivory, shimmery powder, and then smudge it. I've read very recently, I think in Allure mag, that the secret to having brighter eyes is to put the highlighter ABOVE the brow! First time I've ever heard that before! Also, I've been reading recently that a highlighting pencil or powder, whitish in color, should also be used on the upper and lower skin of the inner eye.. Also, does the Anastasia pencil come inn colors? and where can I purchase the pencil or the kit? Thanks everyone. And Carrie, God bless you double for all your helpful tips!
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:52 am      Reply with quote
lefemme wrote:
Hi all. Would someone tell me where you put the Anastasia Eyelight liner? I just ordered Benefit's Frosty Eye to use on the inside of my lower lashes--which really makes the whites of my eyes stand out. You all mention you use this pencil near your brow? Are you referring to the area directly below your brow? That's where I normally use some ivory, shimmery powder, and then smudge it. I've read very recently, I think in Allure mag, that the secret to having brighter eyes is to put the highlighter ABOVE the brow! First time I've ever heard that before! Also, I've been reading recently that a highlighting pencil or powder, whitish in color, should also be used on the upper and lower skin of the inner eye.. Also, does the Anastasia pencil come inn colors? and where can I purchase the pencil or the kit? Thanks everyone. And Carrie, God bless you double for all your helpful tips!
I apply my Anastasia EyeLight pencil on my browbone,directly below my brows then smudge it a bit to blend. I also apply it to the inner corners of my eyes, near the tear duct, and blend it.

You can order the Anastasia EyeLight pencil from Sephora or directly from Anastasia's website. It does come in two formulations: one matte, the other shimmer and both formulations come in several shades. For everyday wear, I recommend one of the matte versions.

I personally use the Matte Shell EyeLight pencil (it came as part of my 7-piece Anastasia brow kit) and it's perfect for my skin tone. If you describe your coloring/skintone I might be able to help you choose the correct EyeLight shade.

Here are some links to a couple other threads were we discussed the EyeLight pencil:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=10156&highlight=eyelight

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=10417&highlight=eyelight

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:15 am      Reply with quote
Hi TAMgirl99 - If you're still keeping up with this thread, I have some suggestions for you. I have those dark, bluish crescents at my inner eye area too. Even though everyone on this forum seems to hate Clinique, I love their pen-like "Airbrush Concealer". It's not too thin or too thick, or too greasy or too dry -- rather just right for me. It's consistency is like a foundation yet the coverage is more opaque. It was tricky at first getting the hang of the brush applicator, but I finally mastered it.

HOWEVER, after a friend of mine told me a trick using my JI Pressed Base, I've finally found something that REALLY covers those dark areas: she sugegested that if I had any spots (or whatever) that needed extra concealment, to just use my finger to apply the MMU powder. It really works! It took me a few times to get the amount right (can look a bit dry if you use too much), but I've NEVER had better concealment of my dark semi-circles.

BTW, I know lip gloss is a staple for most people, but I simply can't stand it when my hair gets stuck on it, so I rarely use it. Even when my hair's pulled back in a pony, it eventually gets whipped around and sticks to my lips. Yuck! I guess it's best for shorter-haired women. Did you try any of the Laura Mercier lipcolors in the Sheer range? They're very moist but not sticky, and not too pigmented so they impart a more natural look.

And sharkbait, if you're still reading this thread, I've discovered a really nice blush that imparts a natural, flushed look: Jane Iredale "Barely Rose". Now I want to try it in the color "Dubonnet" for when I need an earthier shade.
ariesxtreme
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:40 am      Reply with quote
I love when I come in from the cold winter days here in Chicago. How my cheeks and lips have a certain rosy color.

I love Rimmel and for the price one can not seriously beat it. Will have to go to WalMart and pick up the blushes....and also stop at sephora and get the eye lights shimmer pencil

Carekate,

I'm lookin on Sephora's site and I see there's 4 different colors and they all seem to be in shimmer don't see any in matte.

Can you help me with what color I may need? I'm asian so my skin has a yellow tint to it. oh heck this will be better.

I'm thinking the sand shimmer?

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:54 am      Reply with quote
ariesxtreme wrote:
Carekate,

I'm lookin on Sephora's site and I see there's 4 different colors and they all seem to be in shimmer don't see any in matte.
Click here: http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P69504&shouldPaginate=true&categoryId=5746

I would recommend the Matte Shell or Matte Buff.

I would NOT recommend any of the Shimmer EyeLight pencils for everyday wear – IMHO they are better suited for a night out or special occasion. If you’re just wanting to make your eyes POP without being obvious, definitely go with one of the Matte versions – they’ll give you that vibrant, well-rested look without looking like you borrowed your 14-year-old sister’s makeup!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:57 am      Reply with quote
Ah great...thank you! I may pick up one of the shimmer ones for special night outs.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:15 am      Reply with quote
For "winterized" lips, I love Sugar's Lip Plumper. You can get it at Sephora for really cheap, like $6. It smells and tastes sooo good, like liquid sugar, and it makes your lips plump and flushes like you just came in out of the cold.

Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:25 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |