Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
:: Review ::Dermalogica Ultra Calming cleanser face and eyes
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
Mabsy

Fri Dec 12, 2003 7:11 pm      Reply with quote
I 'road tested' this last night from a sample packet. I have to say that yet again I'm quite impressed with Dermalogica although it is probably a cleanser that I would not purchase.

This cleanser is really gentle and, while I myself have pretty hard to upset skin, I think it would be a good choice for sensitive skins. It's milky looking gel-cream in texture and does not foam up. You spread this on your face, massage, and then either rinse off (that's me!) or tissue it off (not a big fan of that technique myself). Your face is left clean, no tightness.

This cleanser, as the name suggests, can also be used around the eye area with no probs. I smothered this all over last night and felt no stinging whatsoever even though I did get some in my eye. It removes eye makeup well so no need for a separate eye makeup remover when using this cleanser.

Any fans of this product on the forum?

Mabsy.
System
Automatic Message
The above post is a review of the following product available at EDS:
Dermalogica UltraCalming Cleanser for Face and Eyes (250 ml / 8.4 oz.)
Dermalogica UltraCalming Cleanser for Face and Eyes (250 ml / 8.4 oz.)

This extremely gentle cleansing gel-cream completely removes even eye make-up without sensitising the skin or leaving any residue. Lavender, Echinacea, Raspberry and Anti-ozonate complex calm inflammation and promote healing.

thoughtcrime
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 12, 2003 8:57 pm      Reply with quote
Mabsy, I'm glad you reviewed this, as I am still on the search for a milky or cream cleanser to replace the Sothy's one I can no longer use. I was concerned though that it wouldn't do a good job of removing eye makeup, but you alleviated that concern. The only problem I have with cleansers for sensitive skins is that they tend to leave a moisturizing film on my face and my face doesn't feel REALLY clean. And unforunately for me it seems many of the creamy cleansers are targeted for sensitive skins. But I am interestd in trying this.
Mabsy

Sat Dec 13, 2003 7:09 pm      Reply with quote
Thoughtcrime,

Let me just clarify that this is not a milky type cleanser. It's seems to be gel-lotion in texture and has a milky-ish colour. I didn't find that it left any film on my skin. I wish I could try it again and confirm that but alas I only had one sample.

Mabsy.
thoughtcrime
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 13, 2003 7:49 pm      Reply with quote
Oh ok, thanks for the clarification. Wink
I'll still for ask for a sample.
alohagirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 14, 2003 8:33 pm      Reply with quote
Thoughtcrime--you mentioned looking for a cleanser that removes eye makeup and doesn't leave behind a film. Check out my review on Orlane Vivifying Cleanser. It leaves my skin feeling really clean, but not dry & tight. Very Happy

Alohagirl--Wink
thoughtcrime
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 14, 2003 9:23 pm      Reply with quote
Alohagirl, thank-you for the recommendation. I was actually looking into the Orlane Vivifying Cleanser and the other one in the VIT-A-MIN line, but when I read the ingredients, there was an ingredient I couldn't use. I'm vegan, so no animal by-products for me, and I also don't like to use facial products with mineral oil or sodium lauryl sulfate.
alohagirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 14, 2003 11:03 pm      Reply with quote
I must admit, I'm surprised to find mineral oil in some of the Orlane products. I was under the impression that this is a low-quality ingredient, and probably not healthy, either.

The ingredient I try to avoid is propylene glycol, as it's a known carcinogen. However, it seems to be in just about every skin product. Sometimes I see it listed in food ingredients like cake mix!

I recently came across an explanation, at least for why it's in skincare products. It's used as a carrier for essential oils. That's why the concentration is so high in so-called "natural" products. Go figure!Surprised
thoughtcrime
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 15, 2003 3:39 pm      Reply with quote
Alohagirl,
I actually asked the Orlane sales manager about why some Orlane products have mineral oil in them. I too have always heard that mineral oil is pore clogging as well as propylene glycol. She told me that there's a good and bad quality mineral oil and Orlane uses the good kind. Surprised I personally was unconvinced and unsatisfied with that answer. To me, mineral oil is mineral oil. So I continue to ban facial products that contain mineral oil. :P
alohagirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 15, 2003 6:23 pm      Reply with quote
Thoughtcrime,
I did a short search and found there are indeed different grades of mineral oil, however, because it is petroleum based and therefore not a substance normally found in the skin, it should not be used. That made sense until I realized that tea tree, calendula and lavender oil are also not naturally found in skin, yet we love them in our skin care products!!!

If anyone is interested, here's a bit of information about why mineral oil is found in so many products:
"Mineral oil and Vaseline-type jelly are procured from rock oil which has to undergo extensive chemical processing and refining. They are used in skincare products to trap the water content underneath an impenetrable film on the skin's surface. This plumps up the skin making it look smoother and the trapped moisture makes the skin feel soft and more elastic. However, they block the pores which result in blackheads and whiteheads forming on the surface, and prolonged use can result in cysts where the skin's own fat production has been trapped under this film. When used over a long period of time the skin can become dry and lifeless and wholly dependent upon these oils."
thoughtcrime
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 15, 2003 9:02 pm      Reply with quote
wSurprisedw! thanks for the thorough explanation, alohagirl! Unfortunately so many high-end, good quality brand still utilize them such as Orlane and Decleor and others... (sigh....) Surprised
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:25 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |