Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz)
Smudgey Eyeliner, Oily skin...woe, woe, woe...
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Tia R
5% products discount

Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:00 pm      Reply with quote
Hi! i'm new to these forums, but recently I've been lurking around.

I'm 15 years old and I dislike the way I've been putting on my make-up lately. I have *very* oily skin. but sometimes it can get SO dry after I wash it (I don't use a very harsh cleanser anymore, either).

My eyeliner really smudges sometimes. I use an Almay eyeliner, which is supposed to last long/waterproof (hah), and yeah, does last longer than my usual ones. I don't wear a LOT of eyeliner (I guess I used to when I was just beginning to get into make-up), but never-the-less around my eye it gets oily and it smears horribly. same with my mascara...a maybelline mascara (waterproof, apparently).

I use a vitamin E moisturizer (I do think it's too harsh, it's meant for dry skin...heh, I think that's my main problem). i use a tea tree oil toner...aveeno facewash ...
bare escentuals foundation (which I like for the most part, though I'd love to try Jane Iredale...haha, but it's so expensive).

OH, and I've got some reddish under-eye circles. And i think I have a mild case of milia? Hm. So I use a creme concealer (one by CoverFX...mineral make up, more natural...I don't like harsh chemicals.), but I'm not very satisfied with it. it's too thick and when it goes over my milia (if it is milia..), it looks so bumpy and pooey.

I don't know. I'm so muddled up in a make-up mess! My skin always ends up looking so DULL. I hate it. ):
I need suggestions.
Thanks for your time. D:
bergquis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:57 am      Reply with quote
Hello and welcome to EDS. I love this site and find many many helpful suggestions to my WOES. After reading your post I am thinking that maybe the creams you are using are just to oily which in turn makes your eyeliner run. Try using a conceler around your eyes (to cover the redness). One that is not an acne conceler as it will dry the skin around your eyes. Use a very light one that absorbs into your skin. Once your conceler AND make up is "dry" (allow your conceler and lotions as well as your foundations to absorb into your skin) then apply your eyeliner. My suggestions is to blend the eyeliner with a Q-Tip, so that it has colored the skin (sort of speak). As far as oily skin and foundations. Check out the posts on "True" foundation and products. I had and I say HAD really really oily skin before I started using TRUE. I could see the shine and feel the sticky oil on my face less than 1 hour after I applied my makeup (before TRUE) All of that is gone. TRUE covers up my small imperfections and my skin is never oily now. I swear by the product. Good luck and visit often. I love this site!!! Smile
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:47 am      Reply with quote
As a fellow oily skin I would advise you to ditch the Vitamin E moisturiser and try either an oil free moisturiser (Nivea is very good) or a few drops of Grapeseed/Jojoba Oil.

As for eye liner, the best I have found are MAC, these never smudge, Prestige is suposed to be just as good as MAC and a lot cheaper.
I also love Bare Escentuals eye liner loose powders, but rather than apply them wet, I apply a little dry using this type of brush:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/jane-iredale-eye-liner---p_2419.htm

I think the technique is called tight lining.

5% products discount

Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:52 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you very much for these tips!
Yes, I'll ditch the Vitamin E in the next few days.
My problem is that I don't have a car yet...I'm only 15. And I doubt my mom is willing to drive me out downtown Vancouver to this store to get True make-up...Plus it seems so expensive...but maybe worth it, if you say so.
Also, I'm wondering---is true mineral make-up? Is it pretty natural and safe (in my opinion, if make-up is going to be absorbed into the skin, it ought to be pretty natural and safe)? I was looking at Jane Iredale make-up...is it any good? Sure seems like it. (so many questions, haha..)
I do use concealer, but I dislike it right now--it's too smudgey, budgey, and goes on unevenly. Is there a concealer that isn't too thick and goes on perfectly, yet hides undereye circles? It's such a bother sometimes, and when I put on my concealer I sometimes get a greyish hue.

*Very* annoying.
bergquis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:51 am      Reply with quote
Hi Tia R

You can order TRUE makeup over the Internet. Even here on this site. True is mineral makeup that contains vitamins and minerals that actually HELP your skin. You can wear it to bed to, and it is good for your skin (although I do not wear make up to bed, I have with this and have never woke to a breakout~!)
Jane Iredale is a mineral makeup as well and I have found either the same price as TRUE or more expensive. The way I look at the cost of the foundation is, the compact lasts me about 3 months (that includes touch-ups during the day and reapplys too). If you breakdown the cost ($40.00) that is $13.35 a month (.44 cents a day) my skin and my mental sanity is worth that. As far as a conceler I have a recommendation for you:. Most concelers are heavy and think...the best thing to do is use an acne conceler that contains either sulfur or sal. acid. I dot the conceler on my "spots" and then blend with a small brush. Once blended and absorbed into the skin, I wet a q-tip and I dot it on the spot...again using my brush to even it out. I find in watering it down (just a little though, not to much)..it helps thin it and it applies better. Then I dot my foundation (TRUE) on the spot as well. Then cover my whole face with my foundation... When covering your circles under your eyes, don't use an acne conceler, it will dry that skin out. Apply a conceler used for under eye circles dot the skin with conceler and then use the wet q-tip trick..it works the same to blend the conceler so that it is not thick and goopy.
Hope that helps.....
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:06 am      Reply with quote
If you look at the site the TRUE makeup is only sold to the USA customers.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:07 am      Reply with quote
I have oily eyelids and my eye makeup has a hard time staying on. It really really helps if I powder my eyes first! Give it a try.
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:55 am      Reply with quote
I have extremely oily skin and have posted my personal regimen for battling it which you can read about at this link: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=7244&highlight=battle+plan

Speaking from personal experience about smudging eyeliner due to oily eyelids, I combat the problem two ways:

• First, I apply a thin layer of Milk of Magnesia (yes, the laxative – it’s an unbelievable mattifying product to use before applying your makeup) all over my face, INCLUDING my eyelids; then

• I apply Urban Decay’s Primer Potion which is a primer that you apply to your eyelids to make them completely matte before putting on your eyeliner and/or eye shadow.

I have also found that the TYPE of eyeliner that I use is important in determining whether or not it ends up smudging or is able to stay on all day without sliding off my eyelids at the first sign of oil. To this end, my favorites are Smashbox’s Cream Eyeliner or MAC Fluidlines Gel Eyeliner. Both of these liners must be applied with a brush, but I promise that it isn’t as difficult as you might imagine if you’ve ever tried applying those liquid eyeliners that come in a tube like mascara except they have a skinny little brush. So long as you use the method to “walk” the eyeliner brush across the base of your lashes, you won’t have any probs using either the Smashbox or MAC eyeliners!

For the record, despite all the various promises made, I have never been able to find an eyeliner pencil that had even half the longevity and stay-powering of the Smashbox or MAC liners, even when they called to be completely waterproof and/or smudgeproof.

HTH,
Carrie

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:15 pm      Reply with quote
I can't believe I forgot to mention about how good MAC Fluidline eye liners are, Carekate has just reminded me.
Also the Prestige liquid eye liners are good too, but nothing beats the MAC Fluidliners Very Happy

5% products discount

Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:42 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you SO much, Carekate! I just recently tried the OCM method (I don't have castor oil though, which really sucks. When I go to a local drugstore I'll pick it up.)

I mixed EVOO with primrose oil and added some kosher salt for exfoliation, and I must say, just two days later my skin is reaping the benefits!! I can't believe it. I used the EVOO with kosher salt on my entire body, and it's even clearing up the acne on my back.

I can't wait to use it with castor oil, though.
If I'm seeing improvement from the olive oil, I'll probably see double with castor oil.

Thanks so much! Your tips are soo helpful.
i love using natural homemade ways of cleaning my skin instead of buying products all the time---I don't need my face cleanser for more...it just dries out my skin! This takes off all my make-up and cleans every pore in my skin.

i *love* it. Thank you. <3
It's also helping a little with the oilyness of my skin, but not much quite yet. I'll have to try other things.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:38 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |