Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Sad story about my kitty (sorry so long)
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Shelley01
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:20 pm      Reply with quote
I just have to share……..I am the new, adopted, mommie of two little kittens. We have had them now for two and a half months and they have completely won my heart! I probably smother them too much but I just cannot help myself.

Well, something terrible happened new year’s day. I was preparing a bath and wanted to dissolve some salt crystals plus I was going to add some green tea bags to the water so….I turned on the water to hot and let it run for a minute before plugging the tub. Then, I didn’t turn on any cold water because I was going to fill it half with hot and add the cool water once the salt and tea was dissolved. The tub was about ¼ full and I was making an aspirin mask when I heard a splash……..my little black kitten fell into the tub! I ran over and grabbed him out of the tub but not fast enough (he was trying to get out himself but he was not able to). He jumped out of my arms and ran out of the bathroom and downstairs. I grabbed a towel and went after him. He was soaking wet and the skin on his back pads was hanging off!!

I called my vet but they were closed! I called the emergency number and it was just a message saying to call back during their hours of operations!!! By this time I am crying and almost hysterical! My husband was not home and not able to get home. Thank goodness for neighbors! My next-door neighbor helped me find a vet that was open and I rushed over to see her!

The vet was wonderful and took my baby right away (don’t laugh….his name is George Michael…..long story). She had to put him under and do a little bit of surgery on his feet. He stayed at the vet for two days! The burns on his feet are third degree……my husband and I did not know (first time homeowners) that you are supposed to check your water heater if you have pets and children. We checked he water heater the next day…..it was set to 160 degrees (71 degrees celcius)!! And George Michael was in the water for about 3 to 5 seconds!!! However, it seems like much longer to me!

All last week we gave him antibiotics, pain killer (two different kinds), steroids for the swelling, and put burn serum on his little feet. Plus, he has to wear a lamp shade! He was so excited to be home and since he was on pain medicine he was in a great mood, just purring and happy.

Now the really sad news: we had to take him off pain medicine on Monday. His feet are great and on the way to totally recovery (sorry, that is not the sad part. That part is great!!). But it looks like he is having some sort of with drawl from the medicine. He is throwing up and has diarrhea every day now! The vet told us not to worry that he should be fine soon but I am so worried! I feel like all of this is my fault! I should not have let them in the bathroom! I should have known better! And now the little guy is loosing weight and sick all day! It just breaks my heart.

Sorry, I just had to share…very long winded. But I feel better……..thank goodness for this forum!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:25 pm      Reply with quote
So sorry to hear about your cat. I hope he will get better soon. It is surprising that your cat jump into hot water. I thought cats hate water, especially hot water. At least mine hates water and she is always caustious around water. Maybe your cat is just too young to know to stay away from water. So, don't blame yourself.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:34 pm      Reply with quote
oh no, shelley01.
the most heartbreaking thing has to be watching either children or pets be in pain or uncomfortable.

hopefully g.m. is just going through a pain medication purging period and will recover nicely.

all pets (and children) learn by trial + error a lot of the time (i'm thinking of the time i put a bobbypin in the electrical outlet)...it's unfortunate that this trial ended up so badly.

don't blame yourself...

hugs & kisses to gm.
Shelley01
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:21 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Wild Cat and Lamicuz. Like you said, hopefully it will pass through his system soon.

Oh, no! Bobbypin the electrical outlet?! I bet you learned very quickly. After this accident I am not sure I could have children……..I would be a nervous wreck! I don’t think I would let them out of the house!!!

The first night G.M. came home I slept on the bathroom floor with him. My husband thought I was crazy (maybe a little bit) but I didn’t want him to be lonely or afraid. Imagine if it was a child!

Thanks for the hugs and kisses Lamicuz, I will be sure to give them to him!!!!

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:29 pm      Reply with quote
Shelley....get your little kitty back to the vet asap...if a kitten is being sick and has loose stools and is loosing weight it could be dehydrated. It takes hardly anything for a cat to become dehydrated. Kitty needs to be on a drip I think...I dont want you to loose the poor thing...but please take the cat to your vet asap. The vet really should have told you to take the kitty in to be seen.

Let me know if your furr-baby is ok...

I have 2 cats that are my children!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:53 pm      Reply with quote
I agree with Gucci, get to the vets quick. I really do feel for you here, I too have a cat (who is also very poorly with a virus at the moment)
I used to always put hot water in the bath first then the cold until my SO had a fit when he saw me doing it saying how dangerous it is, we have all been there.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:27 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, please take him back to the vet, or at a minimum, get a 2nd opinion. The diaharrea could be caused by something else entirely. I do know how you feel Shelley, but you can't go blaming yourself for this - it could have happened to anyone! GM still has another 8 lives left Very Happy

Anya
m.april
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:16 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Shelley01 - If he has diarrhea and nausea, he's very likely dehydrated, as others have said. Until you get him back to the vet, try giving him moist foods. And add water to ANY food, as this will help re-hydrate him. You may even want to add a few pellets of dried food to his water dish to try to encourage him to drink more.

Good luck with your poor little guy!!!
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:44 pm      Reply with quote
poor kitty.

I know when my chinchilla gets dehydrated the vet gives him shots of sub-Q fluids. You can do it at home if you feel comfortable with that sorta thing.

I also give him childrens pedialyte. Ask your vet if it's ok for the kitty.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:42 am      Reply with quote
Aw, poor little thing.

m.april's right about cats dehydrating very quickly, so I hope you were able to get George Michael to the vet's or ask their advice. I also hope he recovers well and soon.

Please let us know how he's doing today.
Shelley01
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:57 am      Reply with quote
Hi all,

You all are right. I called my hubby and he is taking GM to the vet today (she was not in yesterday when we called) but she said she would make time for him today. She really is great and I think she will make sure he gets all better.

The great news is that he did not get sick last night! When we checked on him this morning, the bathroom was clean! So that means he actually held something down!

My husband is still going to take him in though……probably just to make me feel better but also because we want to take the lampshade off of him. He is a very clean little kitten so I know he must be dying to give himself a bath.

Thanks for the sound advice and kind words!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:22 am      Reply with quote
It sounds as though he must be feeling much better now and recovering, but a checkup at the vet's won't do any harm - even if it's only for your own peace of mind, as you say.

Best of luck to little GM.

If you do get the chance to post a photo, I'd really love to see what he looks like. (Yes, I'm a terribly sad, cat-obsessed person. Laughing )
Shelley01
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:15 pm      Reply with quote
Hey Majorb,

You and I are in the same club! I am a cat-obsessed person too!

GM was given a good bill of health. The vet said she was very happy with how quickly his paws were heaing. Last night we let him have full run of the house so now he and Buster are playing and terriorizing the toys we bought them!!

Ok, going to try and post some pictures...wish me luck!
[/img][/quote][/url][/list]

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:23 pm      Reply with quote

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:28 pm      Reply with quote
Not sure why the first one repeats itself....these are pictrues from when they were 10 weeks old, 12 weeks old, and then GM in his lampshade that he managed to break down.

Do you have pictures of your cats Majorb? I would love to see them!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:30 pm      Reply with quote
Shelley your kittens are adorable, here is my Josie looking grumpy and unimpressed after watching all the birds in her garden:

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:41 pm      Reply with quote
Josie is just recovering from a nasty virus.

She is 15 now and has just got her first litter tray (she has always prefered to go outside), it a real novelty . She keeps going and haveing a good stamp around in it. It's so funny she has her poo and my SO empties it, then she is straight back in it to mark her fresh litter Laughing

When she was ill she would not eat a thing, so we were tempting her with bits of cooked chicken which would be picked up daily from the supermarket for her........now she refuses toeat anything else!!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:27 pm      Reply with quote
All such cute kitties! I'm glad GM has shed his Elizabethan collar! Wow, Josie looks robust for her age! What are HER beauty secrets?

With trepidation, we took Bustopher to the vet today (Friday 13th). He's also had diarrhea for a few days (diagnosed with CRF a year ago), so we gave him his first bath last night because he's been a bit mangy anyway and became rather stinky this last day. He didn't mind it too much and liked being brushed a lot afterwards and today. Cats have sensitive skin so they need special shampoo. Maybe EDS should start stocking pet skincare Very Happy

It seems his time's not up yet as we feared -- he was prescribed Metronidazol for the squirts and Cyproheptadine to stimulate his appetite. Also, daily subQs for the next 4-5 days, then back to 3X/wk. Maybe he'll eat some chicken and broth again -- he did a few days ago but then turned up his nose to most food. Like rosebud suggested, this is often recommended for cats when they're sick. I think it's lower-protein than most other cat food, and they seem to handle this better when they're ill. Busty's high-maintenance but he's worth it, and he and his brother Bill are the best pals in the whole world.
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:56 am      Reply with quote
Buster and GM are gorgeous! I do love it when they're at that awkward leggy adolescent stage. So cute! Very Happy

And I think Josie's absolutely beautiful. Besides, female cats are supposed to look grumpy and unimpressed - it's all part of the job description. Laughing

As for posting a photo of my own pusscat, I'll have a go. No guarantees this will work as I've never done tried it before...
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:04 am      Reply with quote
Oh dear, I don't appear to be able to post a pic of my Buttsie as I think it needs to be linked to a website or something and not just uploaded.

Well, I can try to describe her instead. She's a brindle tortie. I think she's incredibly beautiful, but some people think her facial markings make her look a wee bit cross and evil. (Bit like me, really.) Shock

She's 18 years old and, despite epilepsy, hyperthryoidism, arthritis, a delicate digestive system and almost complete deafness, she's a bit of a lunatic kitten at heart. We still get the whole tail-chasing, hide-and-squeak and extreme naughtiness stuff.

One of my friends very aptly describes her as "such a determined little cat". That's because once she makes her furry mind up to do something, then she's blummin' well going to do it and NOTHING on this earth will stop her. Just one of the many reasons I love her so much - she's the only living creature I've ever met who is more stubborn than I am. Very Happy
Shelley01
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:07 pm      Reply with quote
Oh, Rosebud! Josie is beautiful!! That is so funny about the litter box! We have the same thing happen here….while my SO is cleaning it Buster will run over to poo while he is cleaning it! Buster just sits there and looks right at him! Makes for a lot of fun stories to tell at dinner parties!! I hope she gets over her virus soon! And stops turning her nose up!!

M.April I love your cat’s name! Bustopher is great! I will have to tell the SO that one. I hope that he gets better soon…he will be in my thoughts.

Majorb, I cannot wait to see pictures of your Buttsie! Wow, she is 18? That is wonderful……how long do cats live? I am hoping forever of course because I cannot stand to think of loosing our little babies….but I suppose I should be realistic.

I love that cats just warm our hearts! I love that they are individuals and so much fun!!

I found this article on Slate’s website and thought you all might enjoy:
http://www.slate.com/id/2133625/

Also, Majorb I used Photobucket to upload my pictures. Here is the link (I love seeing everyone’s babies!!):
http://photobucket.com/

Keep the stories and pictures coming!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:34 pm      Reply with quote
I'm hoping this will work - thanks to Shelley's good advice about PhotoBucket. (Thanks, Shelley! Very Happy )

And yes, I do hope she lives forever. I know cats that have lived into their 20s, and I believe that a very few have reached the early 30s. As long as she's happy, we hope that she'll be with us for many years to come.

Shelley01
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:49 pm      Reply with quote
Oh, Buttsie, what a great life you lead!! To be a cat…..I think if I have to come back as anything it would be a house cat! Majorb, she is beautiful! I have never seen a cat with that coloring. How unusual and wonderful! She doesn’t look cross or evil to me but that could be because she is relaxed……she actually looks like she posed for the camera!

Glad you were able to post a picture of her!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:02 am      Reply with quote
I've seen quite a few cats with similar markings, but she has such a rich, almost red-ish chocolatey brown colour over much of her fur. It gleams beautifully too.

(Can you tell that I might ever so slightly think she's the most wonderful cat in the world? Wink )

You want to know what she's doing right now?

There's a tall, high-backed stool next to my computer desk. She's lying on a cushion on that stool, with one of my husband's old fleece jackets (that she's now adopted as her own) draped from the back of the stool right over her, forming a little tent. I can see the tip of one ear slightly poking out from under it. From time to time a single paw also stretches out from there.

I had to put the stool next to my desk as she has to be with me wherever I go, like my little shadow.
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:36 am      Reply with quote
Majorb, Buttsie is adorable, Josie too loves fleecy cushions and throws. I have been tricking her into eating cat food again by pretending to give it to te dog first, works a treat, she gets jealous and runs over to eat it first Bad Grin

Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:56 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |