Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

SQUALANE oil...
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Candy8865
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:17 pm      Reply with quote
Returned from the hippy health food store tonight Smile with a bag full of goodies. Love this place. A little hole in the wall joint that most people don't even know is there. She has absolutely EVERYTHING!

Being the tree hugging, people lovin person the owner is (and very sweet too boot) she always inquires as to my purchase selections. When I explained what everything was for she about jumped the counter and squeeze the stuffin' outta me. All about pure n natural ya know Wink .

Anyway, to the point of my post. During my explaination I told her I was using Camellia oil. She nodded knowingly <just cracked me up> and asked if I had ever used "SQUALANE". Uh, no... never heard of it. She then proceeded to tell me that one of her patrons is a TV/Commercial/Print makeup artist. This person swears by this oil, which comes from sharks (creepy). She mixes it with the foundation before she applies it. Claims it gives that "healthy glow" look. Also, purported to be absorbed into the skin faster and without left over residue. Ok, I've been a total sucker for new products this past month (hmmm, wonder why?) told her toss it in, I'll give it a try.

I did and have to admit it does absorb as well as or faster than the Camellia (for me anyway, know we're all different) and my skin still feels like I just put it on. Not too pricey either (I paid $19.00) but a little bit went a long way, so pretty confident this will last awhile.

Curious as to others experiance with this oil? Likes/dislikes?

[/i]

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:25 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Candy8865 - I'm curious too since squalene pops up now and then, and I don't quite know what it's supposed to do for the skin. But I've also been curious about Camellia oil. What effect does IT have? I think I've read that these are good to use after exfoliating treatments or acid peels but I'm not sure, and I'm too lazy to research the subject Laughing

I've been occasionally using emu oil since winter began. Do you think these oils are simply to combat dryness, or do they do more? I'm getting curious as well about Decleor Iris oil, since I'm 53. But my skin's only dry from using retinol, otherwise, it's fairly normal and in great condition.
mtview
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:08 am      Reply with quote
You will see squalane/squalene in a lot of skincare products. Squalene is derived from shark liver while squalane from non-animal based (olives etc).

It is said to a form of lipid that helps to maintain skin's moisture level.

However there are some people who are allergic to squalane. There seems to be quite a number of rosaceans/dermatitis prone folks who had a reaction to squalane on MUA.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:15 am      Reply with quote
Hi! As I read the enclosed pamphlet that came with it I quote 'Dramatic Beauty Benefits'
    Helps your complexion attain a radiant, dewy, youthfulness
    penetrates rapidly and deeply, assisting in the acceleration of new cell growth
    eliminates roughness and dryness while dramatically softening those tiny lines of maturity
=

Says to use after cleansing, during morning and night skin care routine, applied sparingly under any moisturizer or night treatment.

The company mines from offers a satisfaction guaranteed or money refunded.

The company is Mayumi <pretty name isn't it?> product of Japan manufactured by JapanHealthProducts, Inc. Granada Hills, Ca 91344 800 441 3788

I used it much earlier this evening (it's now 1 am in Chicago) and honestly have to say I think I prefer this to my Camellia oil, thusfar. But, I'm home, no makeup, etc. My skin feels very soft and supple (lol, never thought I'd ever use that word!) By now, I feel dry & tight and re-apply my Cammelia & OoO Night Treatment. Don't feel the need.

Can keep you posted. As we ALL know every product promises so much and fails to deliver. I have to give this a few days to see how I really like it, so far so good. [/list]

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:34 am      Reply with quote
http://www.momentum98.com/squalane.html

Found their web site.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:56 am      Reply with quote
Hi,
I take squalene as a supplement and it is suppose to deliver oxegen to blood streams... and claimed to help with fatigue, blood circulation, skin problems etc...

i sometimes sqeeze out the oil from the capsule and apply it on to my skin... but i haven't done so enough to tell any benefits i got from squalene...

i think i will start using squalene on daily basis and see how it goes!
Agave
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:05 pm      Reply with quote
I have been using Mayumi squalane for years and it's incredible! I use it on it's own or add it into other oils/moisturizers.

I have acne-prone, sensitive skin and it absolutely loves the stuff!

I used to get it at Whole Foods until the jerks stopped carrying it. Now I order online from lifesvigor.com

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:20 pm      Reply with quote
I use the True Cosmetics resoring aromatic treatment oil which is squalane based (the kind from olives) and also contains several essential oils. This has quickly become one of my very favorite products for my dry skin because it sinks in very quickly, makes my skin feel velvety, and I don't need to put another moisturizer on top.

I've previously used the Benev pure squalane and liked that very much as well. Squalane seems to suit my skin more than camellia oil did. The camellia oil was very soothing and moisturizing (especially after an Epidermx treatment), and at the time I thought it absorbed very well. Compared to the squalane, though, it's no contest. Also, I usually had to apply additional moisturizer on top, especially in winter.

I've tried some samples of the Decleor oils as well, and I much prefer the squalane for its moisturizing qualities. It really doesn't feel as though I have anything on my skin - no film, oily residue, etc. My skin just feels soft, smooth, and supple.

Squalane is the winner in my book.
Debra
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:34 pm      Reply with quote
I've been using squalane oil for a few months, and it's become my favorite. It has a finer texture than the other oils I've tired....emu, camillia, almond, avocado, etc. It a clear, watery oil that absorbs more quickly into my skin. Hee is some info that explains the difference between squalene and squalane:

From skibio.com: (I'm not endorsing skinbio.com, just found this information several months ago when I was looking into it.

Squalane for Moisturization
Squalane and Squalene are two very similar lipids and compose 15% of skin fats in the teenage years but decline to about 5% after age 50. This is a major factor in the skin becoming rough, dry, and vulnerable to damage.

Of the two compounds, Squalane from olive oil is more stable and preferred for skin use. When rubbed on skin, squalane acts to improve skin protection and moisturization. Squalane is absorbed deeply and quickly into the skin and does not leave an oily film. It is especially useful on dry scaly portions of the body as it helps to maintain your skin's natural moisture level and produces the appearance of softer, smoother skin.

Squalane Background

For thousands of years fishermen from Scandinavia, Japan, and the South Pacific have used fish fats rich in Squalane/Squalene for healing the skin of their faces and hands after irritation by salt water. Naturally these lipids are found in several foods such as plant oils (especially olive and wheat germ), meats, and some fish oils as well as in human sebum. The richest source of this Squalane/Squalene is a breed of shark that lives in deep waters off the island of Okinawa. In 1916 a Japanese Chemist, Tsujimoto Mitsumaru, isolated and documented Squalene in the liver oil of the family of fatty shark called Squalidae. Because over fishing has endangered these sharks, Squalane from olive oil is mainly used today.

Squalane/Squalene serves as an antioxidant to cell membranes and within the cell. The compounds have some anti-cancer properties (Lee and Langer 1983). The compounds promotes the activity of T and B lymphocytes and macrophages. In animal studies, mice were protected against the toxicity and injury of radiation when fed a diet supplemented with 2% Squalene (Storm et al, 1993). The compounds also have some anti-fungal properties and enhances the effects of Amphotericin B (Fungizone) against a variety of candida species Masuda et al, 1982).
sexy28
5% products discount

Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:55 pm      Reply with quote
Where do you get Squalane oil from olives? What is a good brand? You can't just use olive oil?

I don't like shark hunting or killing, especially endangered species. I don't like whale hunting either. These animals don't have a ton of offspring and large populations like other fish.
Thegurusguru

Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:32 pm      Reply with quote
I at one time thought that the spelling squalane (meant the source was of the sea [shark liver]), and squalene (was plant based). Then I visited the Mayumi website, and now I'm totally confused. Just when I thought I was safe with my squalane (thinking it was plant based) I go to the Mayumi webpage, and that whole theory got shot to bits.

While I read great reviews for this product when applied on the skin, I've read quite some startling things about Squalene when used as an ingredient in the H1N1 vaccine, because of the mercury content of squalene. This concerns me for obvious reasons, and I'm curious as to if anyone else here I read any information concerning this matter?

Thanks! Smile
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:09 pm      Reply with quote
I've used squalane from skinbiology.com for nearly two years and love it. It's from olives. It kind of has a faint olive smell but not unpleasant. I was hesitant to use it at first because I didn't want my skin to be any oiler than it already was. It's fantastic and absorbs very quickly. I use very few drops to cover my face, neck and back of hands. skinbiology.com sells it very cheaply. I apply it after their copper peptides to "seal" the peptides in.
Katy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:38 am      Reply with quote
I have been using squalene oil for half a year and really love it!! It's from olive.

It's Australian Brand called Botani. It's squalENE not squalANE....are they two different oil or the same??
Katy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:46 am      Reply with quote
Katy wrote:
I have been using squalene oil for half a year and really love it!! It's from olive.

It's Australian Brand called Botani. It's squalENE not squalANE....are they two different oil or the same??

The full name of my squalene oil is Olive Skin Serum, you may refer the following link for more info:)

http://www.botani.com.au/products/product_info.php?cPath=1&products_id=1&osCsid=6989371abb486f7ee66b0e3523de6dc8
Divine Diva
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:10 am      Reply with quote
Katy they are both the same regardless of the spelling.

Squalene Oil comes from Olives, Palm Oil, Wheat Germ Oil and the largest concentration of Squalene and Natural Life Squalene is from Deep Sea Shark Liver Oil. It is taken from Sharks that are caught as a by product of fishing nets.

Living in Australia we produce this Oil in liquid form and capsules that you can take orally to help with muscle pain, inflammation, joint pain and arthritis. Also applying the liquid to your skin has amazing healing properties and is great for the skin. Sharks have amazing healing properties which is why there one of the oldest living creatures on the planet.

Just so you know we don't set out to hunt down these creatures to kill them solely for this oil, they are a by product from fisherman's nets and such.

Thegurusguru all Squalene will contain Shark Liver Oil unfortunately, as this is there number 1 source. Also if any ladies are pregnant and thinking of taking this then I would strongly advice against it because of the high levels of Mercury, as this in pregnant women can cause some very nasty side effects for you and your child.

Hope this helps. Smile
Katy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:56 am      Reply with quote
Divine Diva wrote:
Katy they are both the same regardless of the spelling.

Squalene Oil comes from Olives, Palm Oil, Wheat Germ Oil and the largest concentration of Squalene and Natural Life Squalene is from Deep Sea Shark Liver Oil. It is taken from Sharks that are caught as a by product of fishing nets.

Living in Australia we produce this Oil in liquid form and capsules that you can take orally to help with muscle pain, inflammation, joint pain and arthritis. Also applying the liquid to your skin has amazing healing properties and is great for the skin. Sharks have amazing healing properties which is why there one of the oldest living creatures on the planet.

Just so you know we don't set out to hunt down these creatures to kill them solely for this oil, they are a by product from fisherman's nets and such.

Thegurusguru all Squalene will contain Shark Liver Oil unfortunately, as this is there number 1 source. Also if any ladies are pregnant and thinking of taking this then I would strongly advice against it because of the high levels of Mercury, as this in pregnant women can cause some very nasty side effects for you and your child.

Hope this helps. Smile

Really all squalene oil contain shark liver oil...?

But from the website of Botani, they claimed that their oil is "100% plant derived natural moisturiser" I am using this oil and it doesn't have any smell of shake liver...I suppose it's really 100% deprived from olive....otherwise I will discontinue to use it cos I really can't accept shark killing activities... Crying or Very sad
calorblind
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:54 am      Reply with quote
the most famous squalane oil is probably HABA's squalane oil. Such a gem !
fongflyer5
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:30 pm      Reply with quote
I only discovered this oil recently in Australia and I love it, I add it to my moisturizer or use it alone when my skin is extra dehydrated in winter. Thanks for the extra info, I only thought it was from the olive plant. Thanks for the education
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:57 pm      Reply with quote
Here is some interesting info about squalane/squalene. "You say tomAYto, I say tomAHto." Very Happy

http://truthinaging.com/ingredient-spotlight/what-is-it-squalane
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:24 pm      Reply with quote
SoftSkin wrote:
Here is some interesting info about squalane/squalene. "You say tomAYto, I say tomAHto." Very Happy

http://truthinaging.com/ingredient-spotlight/what-is-it-squalane

I don't remember the brand I have but it's 100% from olives. I picked it up at a health food store that won't even carry organic meats or eggs! Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:33 pm      Reply with quote
Here is just one that is vegetable only.

http://www.nakeenatural.com/Facial-Serum-c-67.html

100% Olive Squalene . Squalene is a vital component of human sebum. The body produces a small amount of this naturally, but declines rapidly as we age. Green Renew is a pure vegetable squalene extract of olive oil. It helps prevent the formulation of brown age spots and the effects of sun exposure. It is an anti-aging serum for any skin type and any age. Reduces fine lines and produces more supple and flexible skin. .33 oz

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:13 pm      Reply with quote
I use and LOVE SkinBio's Squalane oil over CP's or other actives. It's a wonderful moisturizer that is great for any skin type.
Katy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:54 pm      Reply with quote
I just went to the local store and ask the beauty adviors. They confirmed that the Bontani squalene oil are 100% deprived from olive:)

http://www.botani.com.au/products/product_info.php?cPath=1&products_id=1&osCsid=6989371abb486f7ee66b0e3523de6dc8

It's really a magic oil for face and body!!
Divine Diva
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:30 am      Reply with quote
Katy wrote:

Really all squalene oil contain shark liver oil...?

But from the website of Botani, they claimed that their oil is "100% plant derived natural moisturiser" I am using this oil and it doesn't have any smell of shake liver...I suppose it's really 100% deprived from olive....otherwise I will discontinue to use it cos I really can't accept shark killing activities... Crying or Very sad

I'm so sorry Katy,
I just read my post and realized I wrote all Squalene Oil contains Shark Liver Oil, which isn't what I meant to write.
I was meant to say unfortunately quite a few contain Shark Liver Oil and pregnant women shouldn't take this due to the high levels of Mercury. Some Squalene Oil is a blend and you just need to read the ingredients as it can say on some labels made from a blend of Olive Oil, Shark Liver Oil etc.
And your right Katy that the Botani is 100% organic.
Once again sorry for the confusion. Smile
doodlebug
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:30 am      Reply with quote
PSF also makes an olive based squalane and it also contains alpha lipoic acid as an antioxidant. I've only ever tried samples of it, and thought it was lovely. Maybe with the colder weather I should get a full size and give it a try? My skin has been getting much drier as the winter drags on. You can get it right here at EDS:
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/psf-ala-complex-p_12519.htm
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:54 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |