Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Cosmedix Serum 16 (30 ml / 1 floz) Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)
Gesell Testing
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Chrissie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:00 pm      Reply with quote
In order to get into the private school down the street, my son Harrison (turned 4 on Dec 20), is taking a Gesell test in 2 weeks. This is for preK. Does anyone have any first hand experience with this...is there anything I need to make sure he can do...phone number..address..etc.
thanks Chris

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:20 pm      Reply with quote
Wow! Shock Sorry I can't help with this but I can't even possibly imagine what they really expect a 4 year old that's never been in school before to actually know. The address/phone number thing is a good guess, but I can't imagine that constitues an actual test. I'm interested to know so when you find out, please let us know!
lily
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:45 pm      Reply with quote
I don't have first hand experience with the Gessell specifically but I did do a lot of diagnostic assessments for that age level and up in my previous job.

Don't panic about it b/c your son will sense that and it will make him nervous but things to focus on:

-he can name the colours when shown them
-names of letters even sounds
-how to hold a book (right side up) and open to the first page
- what 'beginning' means, middle means and end means in relation to reading a book
- work on sequencing events as in what comes first in a story, next, and last
-capital vs lower case letters
- being able to say if a mark is at the top,bottom, middle of a page
-look at a certain letter and be able to identify it in a row of 5 various letter
-basic number identification

Good luck!
lily
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:46 pm      Reply with quote
Oh and I forgot- how to hold a pencil correctly
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:18 am      Reply with quote
well, when they do the kindy testing (for the desirable kindies) in Japan they expect them to be able to even handle sissors and chopsticks!! I think some of the "western" oriented places expect them to be able to hold a crayon and also a fork and spoon.

When my former mother-in-law was doing developmental testing in young children they used to show them a picture and ask the child to make up a story based around the picture. (basically that was how they could tell if a child was read to frequently because children that were well read to were able to use their imagination to make up a story whereas kids who never got read to just came out with descriptive sentences)

Let us know what they do as it is very interesting.
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:01 pm      Reply with quote
OMG, my 2 year old nephew can do most of that stuff....I knew he was more advanced than other kids his age...but wow.

lily wrote:
I don't have first hand experience with the Gessell specifically but I did do a lot of diagnostic assessments for that age level and up in my previous job.

Don't panic about it b/c your son will sense that and it will make him nervous but things to focus on:

-he can name the colours when shown them
-names of letters even sounds
-how to hold a book (right side up) and open to the first page
- what 'beginning' means, middle means and end means in relation to reading a book
- work on sequencing events as in what comes first in a story, next, and last
-capital vs lower case letters
- being able to say if a mark is at the top,bottom, middle of a page
-look at a certain letter and be able to identify it in a row of 5 various letter
-basic number identification

Good luck!

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:10 pm      Reply with quote
Lianne: My 3 yr old daughter can too (and she could when she was 2). She has great verbal skills (can count to 80, spells some words, etc) and was very early at language skills BUT there is such a wide, wide range at this age that it doesn't really mean all that much if kids don't know it (or if they do it doesn't necessarily mean they will always be ahead). I don't want anyone reading this thinking their kids are behind if they don't know that stuff b/c that is not the case. I just mentioned some of the basics that they might be looking for.

Einstein didn't even talk at all until he was 4!!!!
jamie630
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:34 pm      Reply with quote
what ever happened to childhood? kids are kids for a reason.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:40 pm      Reply with quote
lily...my nephew is the child of 2 teachers...I think that explains a lot of it. Too bad they can't get him potty trained yet.

childhood? I did play hide and go seek with him for 2 hours today Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:52 pm      Reply with quote
jamie630: I agree with you in terms of making sure kids have a "childhood" and they way they learn is through PLAY!

I am trained as a teacher but do not 'formally teach' my daughter, rather I really think that including those types of skills in her play is the most fun. I don't do flashcards or any type of memory or 'rote' learning. We just read and have fun!

For example, I don't have cable nor does my daughter watch videos (I know she'll watch tons of TV in her lifetime so I don't see any reason to start now as there is really not much she can learn from that that she cannot learn otherwise). BUT we spend so much time reading books, making up stories, playing outside. She would have me read to her all day long if I had the time.

We count when we go up stairs and say the names of the letters as we are driving. MY DAUGHTER is the one who initiates this. She asks what letter her name starts with, my name, her dad's name, etc., and what other words start with that letter. She also is amazing at rhyming but again she is the one who started this from what she read in 'Fox in Socks" and "One fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish".

She is also, obviously, a girl and girls tend to develop reading/language skills earlier than boys.

I think she could probably learn to read now (she asks how to spell certain words all the time) but I never push her as studies show that kids who were pushed to read early actually read less than kids who were not pushed to read and started reading later.

This is all so individual and really depends on what the child is ready for. I do not necessarily think that she will always be ahead in these skills, she just has been ready and open to learning these things now. It's like potty training- parents put so much empahsis on when it happens but all kids eventually learn it and end up in the same spot!
System
Automatic Message
Fri May 10, 2024 9:34 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |