Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

skin going nuts-PLEASE HELP
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
red head
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:16 pm      Reply with quote
Could using all natural products with essential oils be making my skin crazy: red, breaking out etc. I have been for the past year using Yonka/jurlique-My dr has recc DDF Ultra Calming Cleanser, Aloe Toner and Moisterizer Dew. HELP Sad Sad Sad
Tia R
5% products discount

Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:49 pm      Reply with quote
Hi there!

Skin, skin, skin.
To me, products only help, not completely cure!

Make sure your diet is as good as your products. Eat lots of vegetables, 8 cups of water a day, whole grains, sufficient meat, and your skin will be glowing.
Just remember, what you eat shows up on your face! My sister recently got type 1 diabetes (her pancreas stopped producing insulin, therefore her sugar was very high). The sugar made her skin HORRIBLE. She had acne on her back, arms, face---and it was very , very red. White bread, milk, and many food items contain a lot of sugar these days. Try to balance it. Fruits have sugar, but it's a natural sugar that won't harm your skin (unless taken in huge amounts) unlike white refined sugar.

Trust me. I have to go along with my sister's diabetic diet, and both of our skin is glowing to the maximum. Her acne on her back is clearing up very fast, and her face is radiant. She has hardly any sugar at all (only when she goes hypoglecemic), therefore her skin is great!

If you claim that you're eating well with whole-grain, soya milk (try the organic stuff, don't ditch it until you try it! Very Happy), and veggies, then maybe your products are clogging your pores!

Try home-made recipes! There are quite a few on this forum.

Good luck, keep healthy and your skin will be as well!
-Tia
pumpingmummy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:34 pm      Reply with quote
Red Head, some people with hyper-sensitive skin do develop rashes or acne with all-natural products - I know I do, and I always have to patch test before using Jurlique, Decleor etc. I've found Dermalogica to be very safe for my skin and so have stayed loyal for over 6 years (until I joined this forum and got more adventurous trying out other things Rolling Eyes ). What you could do right now is perhaps simplify your routine and use the mildest products you can find. Aim to strengthen your sensitized skin first. And like Tia said, watch what you eat. HTH some.

Tia, I'm impressed with your answer: you sound way older than your 15 years old, and very smart - that was very good advice you gave and I couldn't agree more.

41 combination skin. Chanel Mat Lumiere Extreme in Beige Ambre for colour ref. I don't wear foundation anymore (thanks to this board I have better and healthier skin than when I was younger). Skincare staples: Retin A, Cleansing oil to remove makeup, BHA cleanser for hormonal breakouts, aloe vera gel, sunscreen.
red head
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:38 pm      Reply with quote
well even the skin lady told me today-KISS Kee It Simple Stupid. So for the next week Iam to use Cetephil (Regular) Thermal Water for a toner and the DDF Ultra Light Moistere Dew. She thinks its to many essential oils on my face all the time that makes it crazy after 1-2 months of use. Now they tell me. I have been using Yonka/Jurlique. After the week I can use the Y/J every other day or every 3rd day then the above regimine. If I have a reaction then its the oils. I have tried everything out there and spent a fortune. Any advice from my world friends Question Idea Confused Sad

skin: combo/reactive 46yr old red hair
red head
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:24 pm      Reply with quote
I was just wondering if anyone could please respond to my post for the routine suggested for me.Out of 118 looks you would think more than 2 people had a opinion Idea
Ssue
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:02 pm      Reply with quote
I have very sensitive skin as well which tends to get reations to many of the products I'd like to use- but, alas can't without either rashy bumps, dryness, or a spectacular looking blotchy look. (Even pure vitamin C serum gives me a rash).

What I do when I get reactions is to eliminate everything except one product. I now only use a soy based cleanser, (Aveeno), and then I proceed to introduce other products after a week or so. That way I know what is causing the problem.

I stick to products with the active ingredients I want but those that also have the least other additives. Since my focus is on anti-aging ingredients, I use a 10% gylcolic gel, then over that I layer the skin rejuvenating treatments I use.

I'm not sure that the natural ingredients is necessarily your problem, but rather learning what your particular skin will tolerate. Does that help at all? Surprised

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:40 pm      Reply with quote
Hi there,
I too have sensitive skin and while I would love to use essential oils, I just can't. They completely irritate my face... even lavender which is supposed to be one of the most gentle. I am completely sensitive to fragrance and unfortunately, essential oils are very fragrant. I definitly think your troubles are caused by essential oils and I would suggest you use just a fragrance-free cleanser and moisturizer right now. Skip the toner. I had a similar experience recently and the toner was still causing me irritation so as soon as I stopped using it... the problem went away.
All I use on my chest and back is gentle soap and lotion and I never break out there, but when I start using scented products or scrubs I will start to break out like crazy. Go figure.
HTH!

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:02 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Red Head,

It may be the essential oils ... or it could be the combination [synergy] of the essential oils involved.

I can wear natural products ... but only those I make myself.

My skin seems to be ultra-sensitive to most commercial products ... but I've been unable to narrow down just what it is in the commercial products that annoys my skin! Laughing

I like to keep my skin care products as simple as possible ... real oils, ACV, etc.

I make my own cleansing oil ... my own toner ... and I use various oils as moisturizers ... and my skin seems to love this regime.

I've spent thousands of dollars over the years on products which either do nothing for my skin ... or bug my skin ... or work for a bit and then I become immune to them.

It took me a long time to realize that while I'm a sucker for packaging ... those commercial products just aren't for me.

See how your skin is after a few weeks of using very straight forward, simple products ... and then reassess at that time.

Mary

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:00 pm      Reply with quote
I think you all may be right-I have been using Cetaphil to clean, Thermal Water and DDF Moisterizer Dew (Not crazy about this) and thats it. My face feels greasy any suggestions for a moisterizer or should I just skip it? I have a appt next Tues with a Dermatalogist to see what he says about my skin. I have tried Dermalogica and Skincetuclas (bad spelling) but i don't think the products were correct for me. Any thoughts on LRP Thanks for the advice
m.april
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:38 pm      Reply with quote
Redhead - Maybe you should post your skincare goals (other than recovering from the irritation you've experienced using essential oils) and see what kind of feedback you receive. Since you're 46, I can assume you're interested in anti-aging products. But if your skin is very sensitive, you may not be able to tolerate what's generally considered one of the best treatments for this -- retinoids. Even AHAs may be too much for you. Sunscreen is a must!!! Also, have you tried Vit.C serum? It calms and moisturizes my skin after retinol use (or anything else that's drying). I also use Cetaphil cleanser, never use toners, and apply a thin film of emu oil at night when my skin's particularly dry, especially now during winter. BTW, I'm 53.

I think you've gotten some very good advice from other forum members. Fragrance can definitely cause irritation. Introducing one product at a time is wise advice! Less is more!
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:03 pm      Reply with quote
I also have very sensitive skin. If I were you I would back off of everything for a week and then add back slowly eliminating anything that causes a reaction.

As you are near my age (I'm 50) I assume you'd like something that helps with fine lines. One of the first glycolics I used was DDF glycolic gel 10%. I use stronger AHA now but this is nice only $22 works on lines and keeps your face less oily.

You might also try OCM with some vit E.
red head
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:31 pm      Reply with quote
My skin care goals are to find something that will not turn my skin red and stop working after 1 month. I can't use AHA or the like they burn my skin. I need to address dehydration along with having my skin in the t-zone oily. I can't use anything with bismuth and most sunscreens itch. Of course this has been going on since i hit 45 (will be 47 in Feb). So I would like to be able to find a cleanser and moisterizer to address these issues. I have kept it simple the last few days but even the Cetaphil stings. Again any advice would be helpful
Gwynnie
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:23 pm      Reply with quote
wow- sounds like sensitive skin to me!

I'm another one of those people that has to be super cautious about products. I am surprised that Dermalogica gave you a reaction but perhaps it was just something slightly too strong. I use the special cleansing gel, skin soothing spray, and skin smoothing cream - all pretty gentle stuff.

Do you remember what you tried from Dermalogica? Also, do you smoke or drink?
Both of those things can make your skin more reactive.

5% products discount

Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:11 pm      Reply with quote
Redhead- I am a redhead too! I have to watch out for formaldehyde releasing ingredients. I've used Yonka and I have problems with the mask, the citrus gommage. I can use creme 29 (for combo skin). They use diazalydinal urea ( I think). Another thing I can't tolerate is allantoin. I know that is suppose to be an anti-irritant but I get raised red patches on my cheeks. Another thing that is pretty important for me is to really cut out sugar. I think you are taking the right steps towards healing your skin. Start back slow experimenting with one thing at a time. Good Luck.
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:41 am      Reply with quote
Your skin can get sensitized to a number of ingredients. I have auburn hair and very light skin that reacts to some products. After that even things that were OK become bad. I think your skin needs a break. At least a week on just a mild oil (Jojoba, almond
or even just EVOO) with vit E. Then you can add back slowly to watch for a reaction.

Have you reacted to vit C serums? Ever tried one. These really evened out the red patchiness you probably would need one of the milder glycerine-like one (e.g.PSF 12%). Get samples of everything first I do this not for effectiveness but just because I also have reactions to many products.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:47 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |