Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Review: Smith's Rosebud Strawberry Lip Balm
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
oriana808
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 12, 2006 6:37 am      Reply with quote
This was a free gift from EDS, received with my latest order this week.

I wasn't expecting much and the strawberry aspect didn't interest me, however I became instantly addicted to this stuff. The ingredients aren't particularly impressive either, except for the lanolin: Petroleum, Alcohol, Lanolin, Synthetic Wax, Artificial Flavour and Colour. In fact I was going to purchase some lanolin for my lips anyway and thought, well now I don't have to.

My lips are not badly chapped (although in the winter they can be) however they are very dry and crinkly with lots of lines (I'm 46). Have been trying to use up some so so lip balms (Blistex and Body Shop's Hemp lip balm) and had the Gatineau Electelle Lip Care in my shopping cart, however having much trouble feeling justified in spending $53 USD on a lip balm.

The Smith's Lip Balm goes on greasy and glossy at first and later has a waxy feel. The strawberry aspect is pretty subtle. However I could instantly feel a swelling of my lips and thought perhaps I was having a mild allergic reaction (which could be true?). It doesn't state that it is a lip plumper.

The result of using this balm: My lips are definetly bigger, no doubt about it. The crinkly part disappears. The lines are much less apparent. My lips are very moisturized and plump and full. Put it on before I went to bed and my lips felt and looked great in the morning.

I kept asking myself if maybe I was seeing things, or just overly enthusiastic since I've been having great results with my new skin care regimen, or maybe I've been reading too many lip balm/caretake Smile reviews lately, so I showed my lips to my roommate this morning and she agreed that they looked great (she would be totally honest if she felt otherwise). Really wish I had some before and after pictures because the results are very noticable but I don't want to stop using this stuff. Added bonus: it was free!

So that's my review and I'm wondering if anyone else has tried this. It could just be the lanolin but I didn't think that lanolin would have a plumping effect.
System
Automatic Message
The above post is a review of the following product available at EDS:
Smith's Rosebud Strawberry Lip Balm (22 g / 0.8 oz)
Smith's Rosebud Strawberry Lip Balm (22 g / 0.8 oz)

Indulge your sweet tooth as you soothe dry, chapped lips with Rosebud's newest, strawberry-scented lip balm. Following in the Rosebud tradition of simple, easy to use products, this vintage-inspired tin contains a combination of rich emollients that lock-in moisture and banish dryness after only one application.

oriana808
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 12, 2006 7:08 am      Reply with quote
Thought I should add that the waxy feeling does go away but the lips are still very soft and plumped. Put it on 2 hrs ago and will be keeping track of how long the effect lasts (although as I said it did work overnight) - just have to stop putting it on because I love the feel of it! A little Benetint on my lips topped with this balm is a perfect natural look...
BCgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 12, 2006 7:35 am      Reply with quote
hmm interesting, whenever i order from EDS i never pick this product, but next time i will. How is the smell of this product?
oriana808
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 12, 2006 8:00 am      Reply with quote
It smells like strawberry. I'm not a big fan of fruit smelling lip balms/glosses, etc. but it's not overwhelming and doesn't last long.

I don't understand why it is plumping my lips, based on the ingredients, unless there is something else in it. Not much in the way of "natural" ingredients either, which doesn't appeal to me. However I tried Burt's Bees Lip Balm and hated it, couldn't get any of it out of the pot and it did absolutely nothing for my lips.

It's a mystery but it sure feels good...
mom2tommax
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 12, 2006 10:19 am      Reply with quote
I got this free too, and I like it well enough. The great thing is, my 4-year old son loves it. It was the only lip balm he would put on this winter when his lips got chapped. And it healed them within 2 days. He loves the Strawberry smell.

Lori

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 12, 2006 10:30 am      Reply with quote
I got the Rosebud one but haven't tried it yet. Anyone use it and get the same lip-plumping effect?
oriana808
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 12, 2006 11:45 am      Reply with quote
Yup, absolutely no doubt about it, this stuff puffs my lips up real nice. No tingling sensation but they do feel a bit numb. A bit on the waxy side but I can live with that. If no one else is experiencing the same thing then it is definetly some kind of allergic reaction (although I'm not prone to allergies). And if it is, I can live with that as well Smile
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 12, 2006 12:28 pm      Reply with quote
It really sounds like an allergic reaction to me. None of the ingredients should have a lip plumping effect. For me sometimes my lips look a little fuller if they are well hydrated but I would not consider them "plumped" up.

From someone who has delt with allergic reactions and has very sensitive skin please do not live with an allergic reaction!! It may only result in swelling now but it could get much worse if you keep applying the offending ingredient. Try taking a few days off from the lip balm and then retry it to see if you have the same reaction.

From your first post it sounds like you are interested in lip balms with natural ingredients. If that is the case, one that I can recommend is Chidoriya Yuzu Lip Balm. The complete ingredients are: camellia oil, beeswax, yuzu oil and rose hip oil. Chidoriya also makes a Hinoki lip balm with hinoki oil instead of the camellia. I prefer the scent of the Yuzu and it seems a little more moisturizing.

Here's a link if you are interested:

www.chidoriyaworld.com
Lucia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 12, 2006 1:35 pm      Reply with quote
Hmmm - interesting. I got this free with my last EDS order too.

I found it tingles too - though I thought I was imagining it too! Laughing
I've been using CityLips so not noticed any plumping as such but I do like it. (I am not a big fan of anything with Petrolatum in either usually.).

Lovely freebie! Thankyou EDS! Very Happy

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 12, 2006 1:44 pm      Reply with quote
I also received this with my recent order. I wasn't psyched about the strawberry aspect, but the scent is mild enough. It really does feel great on. I generally just stick to Aquaphor, it feels like the only thing that really penetrates to soften my dry lips. The waxy stuff just doesn't cut. The Rosebud balm works great, doesn't feel at all waxy.
I didn't notice any sort of lip plumping or stinging effect at all - I think TheresaL is on to something with the allergic reaction..
Nijey
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 12, 2006 1:53 pm      Reply with quote
Hm, I wonder whether you really are experiencing a reaction to some ingredient in the balm--it does not have any lip-plumping properties. This stuff is essentially petroleum + scent/fragrance. I have tried both the Strawberry balm and the Rose Salve and was unimpressed by both. They come in cute tins and yes, are multi-purpose, but so is regular, old Vaseline or Aquaphor.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 12, 2006 1:56 pm      Reply with quote
Whenever I get to a Sephora, I buy the Rosebud Balm. I was also glad to get one free in my order from EDS this week. This really is great stuff!
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 12, 2006 3:27 pm      Reply with quote
TheresaL---thanks for that great link!! I'm VERY interested in trying some stuff frm that site, esp. the adzuki and brown sugar face soap and the green tea and pearl barley face soap. They just sound amazing--- have you tried either of these?

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 12, 2006 3:40 pm      Reply with quote
Unfortunatly I have not tried either of the soaps. I do have some samples of the adzuki and brown sugar soap and am actually going to try this over my camellia oil to shave my legs. The rep. from chidoriya suggested this as a use for the camellia oil I bought and it sounds good!

I love the oil blotting papers. They are my favorite and I buy them in bulk.
joziegrozy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:18 pm      Reply with quote
I like this stuff! It's smooth and yummy, I'm soo glad EDS gave this gift Smile It moisturizes my lips without the "after drying feeling" I often get from other lip balms (body shops'). I don't like that it's soo big for a lip balm though Sad I don't mind alternating this with my vichy lip/LRP Ceralip Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:30 am      Reply with quote
I looooove my Rosebud Strawberry Lip Balm... To me it smells more like wild strawberrys, the small ones you get through out summer along the roads in the woods... I make everyone around me sniff it and make them agree that it smells lovely Laughing I'm such a child, any way to get attention Laughing

I find it moisturizes well, it's great for day wear - not as a night moisturizer.

The product also makes me think of our member Rosebud Very Happy

Location: Denmark. Me = 32, think I'm combo without oiliness + sometimes sensitive. Have noticed that skin doesn't heal as quickly anymore and I've developed fine lines around my eyes... Hormonal breakouts which are sometimes cystic. PCOS
Ruth
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:08 am      Reply with quote
but mine isn't smiths...it's the other one...

Location: Denmark. Me = 32, think I'm combo without oiliness + sometimes sensitive. Have noticed that skin doesn't heal as quickly anymore and I've developed fine lines around my eyes... Hormonal breakouts which are sometimes cystic. PCOS
monappetit
5% products discount

Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:47 pm      Reply with quote
I tried this a long time ago and I did not like it at all.. which is weird because I'm a lipbalm/gloss junkie. I think I didn't like the smell, the feel, and the end results. I prefer Kiehl's #1 lip balm WAAYYY more.
laeticia
5% products discount

Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:10 am      Reply with quote
the lip plumping is an allergic reaction, happened to me as well with the rosebud salve, i used it for a day and woke up the next day with plumped lips (i've had this happen to me enough times to recognise an allergic reaction when i see one ) Sad
ErinChristine
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:42 am      Reply with quote
hello! I have this lip balm too. I've been using it for quite a while now. I haven't really noticed plumping effects but my lips are defintely looka snd feel softer all the time.
annachan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:54 pm      Reply with quote
I have the balm...but must say really dont like using anything with Petroleum or Lanolin near my lips ...or anywhere else on my body.....I have heard of many people being allergic to lanolin...
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:56 am      Reply with quote
i used this for quite awhile since my sis went a little crazy and bought a whole lot a couple years back. besides the being packaged in a tin and being rose colored and fragranced, i didn't notice a whole lot of difference between using this and plain ol' vaseline.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:04 am      Reply with quote
I tried this a while back & it was ok but I'm generally not a big fan of petroleum based lip balms. Although I agree it does smell delish, & I like the cute tin, but I prefer my Dr H & Decleor balms a lot more. Smile
cortigirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:29 pm      Reply with quote
oriana808 wrote:
This was a free gift from EDS, received with my latest order this week.

I wasn't expecting much and the strawberry aspect didn't interest me, however I became instantly addicted to this stuff. The ingredients aren't particularly impressive either, except for the lanolin: Petroleum, Alcohol, Lanolin, Synthetic Wax, Artificial Flavour and Colour. In fact I was going to purchase some lanolin for my lips anyway and thought, well now I don't have to.

My lips are not badly chapped (although in the winter they can be) however they are very dry and crinkly with lots of lines (I'm 46). Have been trying to use up some so so lip balms (Blistex and Body Shop's Hemp lip balm) and had the Gatineau Electelle Lip Care in my shopping cart, however having much trouble feeling justified in spending $53 USD on a lip balm.

The Smith's Lip Balm goes on greasy and glossy at first and later has a waxy feel. The strawberry aspect is pretty subtle. However I could instantly feel a swelling of my lips and thought perhaps I was having a mild allergic reaction (which could be true?). It doesn't state that it is a lip plumper.

The result of using this balm: My lips are definetly bigger, no doubt about it. The crinkly part disappears. The lines are much less apparent. My lips are very moisturized and plump and full. Put it on before I went to bed and my lips felt and looked great in the morning.

I kept asking myself if maybe I was seeing things, or just overly enthusiastic since I've been having great results with my new skin care regimen, or maybe I've been reading too many lip balm/caretake Smile reviews lately, so I showed my lips to my roommate this morning and she agreed that they looked great (she would be totally honest if she felt otherwise). Really wish I had some before and after pictures because the results are very noticable but I don't want to stop using this stuff. Added bonus: it was free!

So that's my review and I'm wondering if anyone else has tried this. It could just be the lanolin but I didn't think that lanolin would have a plumping effect.

This is funny that i ran into your review about this product. I also got this as a free gift. It's "alright" but i find it interesting that you say it feels like it plumps up your lips, etc. Well interestingly enough, i started using awhile ago the Kiehls #1 lip balm. Since i use mac lip balm usually i know how my lips usually feel when i put it on. But when i tried Keihls it feels as if my lips are tingling. And somehow they become plump due to this. I've asked several people to try it but they don't have the same reaction. I wonder if it's because we are having an allergic reaction to a particular ingredient? Very bizarre lol

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:03 pm      Reply with quote
Sad My Husband can't stand the smell. I received a free gift from EDS and I had just given my last one to my sister. It is a bit overwhelming and sweet smelling. I prefer the Rosebud Balm.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:29 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |