Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Epilators (for body) Long Time User
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 26, 2008 4:33 am      Reply with quote
I've been using an epilator on my legs for probably 15 years now. The hair on my legs has become quite sparse and fine for some time now. I am glad I started using it so long ago.

The problem I'm having is that because the hair so fine I'm having a hard time getting a clean shave with my epilator. And I really need to epilate in the sun so I have see all the hairs (blond and fine hairs) and I suspect some are just breaking off instead of getting pulled out.

The epilator I have now I've probably had for at least 7 years so maybe its time to time to just to a get one. I really don't want to go back to shaving but want a cleaner shave.

Anyone else been epilating forever?
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 26, 2008 5:31 am      Reply with quote
Invest in a new epilator, they've changed allot in the last 7 years. I have a Braun Silk Epil - it's a top of the range model and comes with various attachments for face, bikini area etc. It also has a little light which is very useful for showing up the hairs.
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 26, 2008 5:44 am      Reply with quote
I have been removing hair on my legs with a home electrolysis kit. My best trick to be able to see the hairs properly, is to put a mini mag lite in my mouth. It may sound crazy, but you get a concentrated stream of light that's better than any sun light or lamp light.

It's a good advice to replace the old epilator with a modern one. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 26, 2008 7:10 am      Reply with quote
Wow I had no idea epilators have evolved so much. One with a light will be awesome and I also like the idea of attachements. Thanks!
sally72
5% products discount

Tue May 27, 2008 2:59 am      Reply with quote
You can either invest in a newer improved epilator or you can go professional. You can permanently remove the rest of your hairs by getting laser treatments or epilepsia (burns the hairs cell root which causes it never to return). It is definitly a larger investment than a new epilator, but the hairs will never grow back!
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 27, 2008 4:52 am      Reply with quote
sally72 wrote:
You can either invest in a newer improved epilator or you can go professional. You can permanently remove the rest of your hairs by getting laser treatments or epilepsia (burns the hairs cell root which causes it never to return). It is definitly a larger investment than a new epilator, but the hairs will never grow back!

I am definitely getting a new epilator.
The hair on my legs is way too light for laser and that other option sounds scarey... LOL!
partemi
5% products discount

Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:22 am      Reply with quote
sally72 wrote:

wow! what is epilepsia? i tried searching for it, but all that came up was stuff about epilepsy (which,i just read, if you suffer from, you shouldn't get laser hair removal--who knew?).

I did a year of laser hair removal treatments and still have a lot of hair left to remove. i have an epilator, but it may be time for a new one for me as well, as i don't think there is as much pulling going on as there is cutting.

but if i could burn it all off forever. . .
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:55 am      Reply with quote
partemi wrote:

wow! what is epilepsia? i tried searching for it, but all that came up was stuff about epilepsy (which,i just read, if you suffer from, you shouldn't get laser hair removal--who knew?).

I did a year of laser hair removal treatments and still have a lot of hair left to remove. i have an epilator, but it may be time for a new one for me as well, as i don't think there is as much pulling going on as there is cutting.

but if i could burn it all off forever. . .

Re Laser hair removal -
Laser can be very effective for permanent hair removal/reduction. To achieve permanent results, it's essential to go to a trained professional who uses the correct laser for your skin type.

Here's a helpful post from The Derm Blog, "10 things you should know about laser hair removal".

http://thedermblog.com/2008/05/21/ten-things-you-should-know-about-laser-hair-removal/

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:57 am      Reply with quote
I tried plugging my hair out with a tweezer and it worked to a certain extent. It might sound crazy but it does work so ....

The only problem I have is sometimes the hair break halfway and then there's ingrown hair with a raised red bump. Will that happen if use with an epilator?
lunarmm
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:14 pm      Reply with quote
Any one with advice about what they think the top epilators out today are? I'm looking to upgrade to a new model. I also would prefer one that is rechargeable if possible. I love that option - I find I use it more often that way!

I currently have the Emjoi Optimax and don't know if it's the best or if it's just not as good as previously (I've had it for YEARS):
http://www.emjoi.com/hair-removal/emjoi-optimax-epilator-AP98R.html

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:34 pm      Reply with quote
lunarmm wrote:
Any one with advice about what they think the top epilators out today are? I'm looking to upgrade to a new model. I also would prefer one that is rechargeable if possible. I love that option - I find I use it more often that way!

I currently have the Emjoi Optimax and don't know if it's the best or if it's just not as good as previously (I've had it for YEARS):
http://www.emjoi.com/hair-removal/emjoi-optimax-epilator-AP98R.html

Take a look at the Braun ones - IMHO they're the best. They're not rechargable though.
http://www.braun.com/uk/silkepilxpressive/silkepilxpressive.html#/home/
yobi
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:09 am      Reply with quote
I'm using Braun Silk Epil, and I love it. Very Happy
lunarmm
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:14 am      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
Take a look at the Braun ones - IMHO they're the best. They're not rechargable though.
http://www.braun.com/uk/silkepilxpressive/silkepilxpressive.html#/home/

Yahoo, Keliu. Thanks for the link, especially because there is a new rechargeable Braun model

Braun Silk-Epil Xpressive
http://www.braun.com/uk/silkepilxpressive/silkepilxpressive.html#/xpressive/

I had a non-rechargeable Braun years ago that I really liked but the cord died on me (must have stretched it too much) and I couldn't find any easy replacement for the cord, so I ended up replacing with a rechargeable Emjoi. But this time round, I think I'm gonna try this new Braun!!!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:50 am      Reply with quote
Turns out I don't see the Silk-Epil Xpressive on the U.S. Braun site so I have an email into them enquiring about it. I hope I get a real response!!

U.S. Braun epilator site
http://www.braun.com/na/products/beautycare/ladyshavingepilation/epilation.html

Wed May 04, 2016 10:41 am      Reply with quote
I use laser hair removal. For me it's the best way of epilation...
Angelcat47
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 13, 2016 3:01 pm      Reply with quote
partemi I believe the other poster meant epilation. You can Google it for sure.
CassieLyons
5% products discount

Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:41 pm      Reply with quote
You've used it for 15 years? I've seen them before and thought about them. Is it actually less work than shaving? I've heard it hurts as well...
wenning
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 05, 2019 7:50 pm      Reply with quote
I've never used a depilator on my legs. I just use it in my armpits, but it makes hair grow faster. I decided not to depilate.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:48 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |