Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Bioelements Collagen Rehab Mask (50 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Skin Biology Super GHK-Copper Intensive Serum (15 ml / 0.5 oz)
Kolic Acid in Skinceuticals Phyto + causing adverse reaction
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
Rose
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 13, 2004 10:59 pm      Reply with quote
I have heard that kolic acid ingredient would give some kind of adverse reaction with long term use. Have any of you heard something like that? Or it was just a rumor? I apprecaite any feedback on this topic.

Casper Mum and Magda: have you heard?
chingching
5% products discount

Sun May 16, 2004 10:48 pm      Reply with quote
I think you mean kojic acid right? I also heard that it is a cancer causing ingredient and that many cosmetic companies are not selling products with kojic acid already. I am not sure how true this is but I have thrown away my PTR lightening complex which contains kojic acid, just to be safe. Hee.
Rose
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 17, 2004 7:56 pm      Reply with quote
ChingChing,

Thank you for your response. Yes, you were right. I meant to say kojic acid. I just knew that there was some problem with that molecule, but I did not know exactly what the problem was. Thanks for pointing it out. I search the internet and found that it is indeed linked to cancer.

I copied the information below from the website:http://www.is-now.com/esthetics/partners/publications/skininc/0903ingredient.html

Now I am going to throw away the products that contains kojic acid too. One of them is Skinceuticals Phyto +.

In January 2003, Japanese dermatologists reported that substances containing kojic acid, whose chemical name is 5-hydroxy-2-(hydroxymethyl)-1,4-pyrone, may cause liver cancer as well as pose genetic or hereditary toxicity. Their findings were based on animal experiments and have not been corroborated by human studies.

Many in the cosmetic community are skeptical about the Japanese findings, especially since the ingredient has been on the market in Asia since 1988 without any cancer connection. Even so, Switzerland has now banned kojic acid from all products sold in that country, while the Japanese and Korean governments, acknowledging there is no immediate safety concern, have none-the-less ordered local and foreign cosmetic and unregulated or quasi-drug makers to stop producing or importing any products containing kojic acid until further tests can prove its safety for humans. It is unclear if products on store shelves at the time the ban went into effect were removed or were allowed to remain for sale. The ban is quite a blow to industry and consumer alike: according to the Korean Cosmetic Industry Association, 30% of all cosmetic sales in that country are for products containing kojic acid. While the governments in both Japan and Korea say they will allow sale of products containing kojic acid to resume if the ingredient proves to have no link to liver cancer, no one can say when that might be. First the ingredient must clear a battery of rigid tests outlined by Japan's Ministry of Health and Welfare, including deoxyribonucleic acid body composition and tumor and cancer initiation and promotion studies on rats, and endodermic absorption tests on humans.

In the meantime, it is highly unlikely that any measure to remove kojic acid from cosmetic or over-the-counter drug products in the United States will occur unless the safety studies conclude there is a cancer link. Some companies, though, are reviewing the ingredient on their own and may decide to remove it voluntarily if they suspect a problem, or until the Japanese studies confirm the ingredient is safe to use in topically applied products.

For more information see the September 2003 issue of Skin Inc. magazine -www.SkinInc.com
System
Automatic Message
Sat May 18, 2024 3:32 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) HydroPeptide Anti-Wrinkle Power Luxe (30 ml / 1 floz) Institut Esthederm Intensive Propolis+ Kaolin Purifying Mask (75 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |