Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
Do any of you smokers out there want to quit?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:24 am      Reply with quote
I know you can do it Kassy. I quit cold turkey 17 months ago. My DH used Chantix for one month. He tried several times before Chantix and gave into urges. With Chantix he still had the urges but not nearly as strong. He will be nicotine free one year May 1. Both of us still have the urge to smoke from time to time but it passes. We know that we can't just have one.

Kassy, I found a great feeling of control when finally I gave up smoking. Just think of all the extra cash you will have for skin care. Laughing By DH and I smoke free it paid for us to go to Disney with our children and grandchildren last month. Cool

Know that you will have urges to smoke BUT they pass.

Kassy_A wrote:
MrsDowFire wrote:
I am on week 6 off cigarettes. It was very hard at first but for me I took Chantix (I am not taking it anymore)
For not smoking for 6 weeks now, I bought my first Harley Davidson motorcycle. That payment is what I spent on cigarettes per month. It takes alot of will power but you can do it Kassy....

WOW! Congratulations on the quit and the Harley, how fantastic..

I've been so disgusted with myself I didn't have the heart to look at this thread since my last post.

I'm still smoking and I'm on day 3 of Chantix. I'm starting to notice a wierd taste in my throat, and hope this is the start of something good happening.

How long does it take for the nicotine blocking to happen....my quit date is Wed, and I'm hoping the cigs taste like crap by then..

I'd sure appreciate any pointers you Chantix folks can offer.

TIA
K

As I am getting older I realize my biggest beauty secret is smile more and frown less. Be aware that wrinkles do not make a person unattractive. Cynicism, unforgiveness, anger and jealousy are the real culprits. Sixty something Smile
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:19 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Winnie for your reply, and the good advice.

I'd like to ask you something that maybe DH experienced.

Today is day #4 of Chantix for me. I'm having the followiwing side effects from it; horrid dreams, nausea + even depression...does any of that sound familiar to you? The upside is that the nausea, is 'curbing' my appetite for cigarettes, so that's good.

My quit date is 4/4, and I'm hoping by then it really kicks in and is blocking the nicotine receptors better..

I absolutely have to do this one way or another, so hopefully this will help me.

K

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:32 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
Thanks Winnie for your reply, and the good advice.

I'd like to ask you something that maybe DH experienced.

Today is day #4 of Chantix for me. I'm having the followiwing side effects from it; horrid dreams, nausea + even depression...does any of that sound familiar to you? The upside is that the nausea, is 'curbing' my appetite for cigarettes, so that's good.

My quit date is 4/4, and I'm hoping by then it really kicks in and is blocking the nicotine receptors better..

I absolutely have to do this one way or another, so hopefully this will help me.

K

Kassy,

Sorry to hear you are not feeling well. DH did not seem bothered by any side effects. Do check out Chantix side effects on the net. If anything seems unusual discuss it with your MD or call your Pharmacist. Actually, Pharmacists can give you a wealth of information.

With or without Chantix I know you can do it Kassy. Let me know if you need any support. Smile

As I am getting older I realize my biggest beauty secret is smile more and frown less. Be aware that wrinkles do not make a person unattractive. Cynicism, unforgiveness, anger and jealousy are the real culprits. Sixty something Smile
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:37 pm      Reply with quote
I'm actually getting the more common side effects noted on the 'Chantix' website...ARGH!

I know I can do it though. I'm so furious at myself for smoking again, after 10 days clean so to speak. It was on an extremely stressful and upsetting day, that I caved in and smoked... Embarassed

Thanks for your help, I'm very grateful!

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Lifeplyr01
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:50 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Kassy,

Sorry to not have "popped" in here for awhile. I wanted to be your cheerleader as well and say "You can do it!!" With or without the Chantix....

As for checking side affects there is a great site,www.askapatient.com
it is like a review site for meds. Perhaps it will give you some more insight to the possible side affects you are having. I totally agree with Winnie that when I get an urge to smoke it quickly passes. Also, you will find that you feel so empowered when you don't smoke...it truly is gratifying to know that I am not a slave to cigs. Smile It will 2 years for me April 23. Cool

Keep going..you can do it!!!! Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:52 pm      Reply with quote
Lifeplyr01 wrote:

Keep going..you can do it!!!! Very Happy

How can I not, with such awesome cheerleaders in my corner...

Many thanks!
K

dleonard
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:26 am      Reply with quote
Hello: for me it's 8 days smoke free with the patch..............It's very hard in the evening, and mid afternoon.............I'm on the step 2 program Rolling Eyes
I'm eating more, but that is o.k. for now, I guess we have to go thru the process.
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:40 am      Reply with quote
Good for you dleonard...

That's wonderful that the patch is working for you..

I'm on Chantix, and hope to be 'smoke free' starting Thursday..

Lets just keep telling ourselves what wonderful health and skin benefits we'll be enjoying... Very Happy

dleonard
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:46 am      Reply with quote
YES they say less wrinkles if you don't smoke........ drink lots of water, I kind it helps a lot. I heard really good things about champix............Do you get any side effects????
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:23 pm      Reply with quote
dleonard wrote:
..Do you get any side effects????

Yes, as I mentioned a few posts back, I'm having crazy, vivid dreams, nausea + depression that comes and goes..

The nausea is the worst of it!

dleonard
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:29 am      Reply with quote
Well I'm back smoking ans off the patch, too much headaches and stress at work...........I could not do it, I find that I'm very weak............ Crying or Very sad
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:58 pm      Reply with quote
I just got through day 1, and it's better with the Chantix than it was cold turkey.

It's taking some of the urge away, but it's just so hard.

I'm not so hot in the willpower department, and when it comes to cigarettes I have been totally weak.

Don't throw in the towel yet. The day will come again when you will want to give it another try.

I really hope that I can stick with it this time. Time will tell I guess.

Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:44 am      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
I just got through day 1, and it's better with the Chantix than it was cold turkey.

It's taking some of the urge away, but it's just so hard.

I'm not so hot in the willpower department, and when it comes to cigarettes I have been totally weak.

Don't throw in the towel yet. The day will come again when you will want to give it another try.

I really hope that I can stick with it this time. Time will tell I guess.

Kassy we know you can do it. Try to focus on one urge at a time. Know that when you get these urges it is normal. Eventually they will be further apart. After 18 months, on occasion, I still get a strong urge to pick up a cigarette. I ignore the little devil in my head Bad Grin and go on with what I was doing. Good job getting though one full day.

wancy_2000
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:34 am      Reply with quote
quit smoking as soon as possible, because it is harmful to your skin and will make you get aging.
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:36 am      Reply with quote
The little childhood story keeps coming to mind;

I think i can, I think I can, I think I can

Thanks so much for the encouragment!

Lifeplyr01
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:52 pm      Reply with quote
I'm rooting for ya Kassy Very Happy Very Happy

dleonard..you can do it too!!!! Try and give in another go!!!

Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:37 am      Reply with quote
This website is fantastic! So many areas of encouragement and knowledge to gather from. Very Happy

I too just quit smoking as of March 28th. This will be my 12th time trying. I'm now trying the Paul McKenna method as seen on TLC. It is working but not easy because it is mainly cold turkey. And for whatever reason the past 3 days have been extremely tough. Mad Confused Crying or Very sad

And can I say, "Weight gain?" I wish they could come up w/a pill like the one for alcoholics where you would actually get physically ill if you smoked and one that curbed weight gain. I do not eat more, it's just that the metabolism slows down. So I still hit the weights and the treadmill and try to keep active.

I know in the long run (no pun intended), it is better for me to quit, less wrinkles and a healthier me. KEEP STRONG all of you who are quitting. Notice I didn't say trying to quit-never say you're trying-it sounds like you've already told yourself you will fail! For example- I'm trying to quit smoking. I am quitting-which sounds more like the person will quit?

Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:58 am      Reply with quote
wanted to say congrats to everyone that has decided to stop smoking. I stopped on April 7, 2008 and today is day 5. I am doing it cold turkey, but have been reading on the internet at different stop smoking sites, the best one for me has been (quitsmokingonline), anyone who has stopped or is thinking of stopping might want to read the lessons and hopefully it would help you too. I know it's possible to stop as I quit over 6 years ago for almost 2 years and then made the mistake of smoking a cigarette when I had a stressful event happen and here I am again 6 years later. I hope those who need encouragement will find it here and hope we can help each other through this great change.
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:49 pm      Reply with quote
Angie B wrote:
This website is fantastic! So many areas of encouragement and knowledge to gather from. Very Happy

I too just quit smoking as of March 28th. This will be my 12th time trying. I'm now trying the Paul McKenna method as seen on TLC. It is working but not easy because it is mainly cold turkey. And for whatever reason the past 3 days have been extremely tough. Mad Confused Crying or Very sad

And can I say, "Weight gain?" I wish they could come up w/a pill like the one for alcoholics where you would actually get physically ill if you smoked and one that curbed weight gain. I do not eat more, it's just that the metabolism slows down. So I still hit the weights and the treadmill and try to keep active.

I know in the long run (no pun intended), it is better for me to quit, less wrinkles and a healthier me. KEEP STRONG all of you who are quitting. Notice I didn't say trying to quit-never say you're trying-it sounds like you've already told yourself you will fail! For example- I'm trying to quit smoking. I am quitting-which sounds more like the person will quit?

I quit 18 1/2 months ago. I gained 15 lbs. Yes my metabolism slowed down. We need to remember that nicotine is a stimulant.

Good news: In two months I have lost 10 lbs. I joined a gym and started weight and aerobic exercise. My doctor, who is ridiculously strict concerning weight, told me to ignore my weight. He assured me that once my body got use to the shock of no drug (nicotine) I would start losing the weight.

I would rather be 10, 20, 30 lbs. over weight then ever have a nicotine * spam alert * again. Giving up cigarettes is the hardest but most rewarding thing I have done. I feel empowered!!!

Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:52 pm      Reply with quote
Here I am at day 8 smoke free, for the second time in 2 months..

For some reason, I have the worst time on the 8th, 9th and 10th day... Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall

Today is a horror. Why do I have a harder time now, than I do on the first few days? I just don't get it..

Cold turkey sucks, but it's probably the best way.

Congrats to us all!

Winnie, your my hero altogether..

Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:56 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
Here I am at day 8 smoke free, for the second time in 2 months..

For some reason, I have the worst time on the 8th, 9th and 10th day... Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall

Today is a horror. Why do I have a harder time now, than I do on the first few days? I just don't get it..

Cold turkey sucks, but it's probably the best way.

Congrats to us all!

Winnie, your my hero altogether..

Way to go Kassy!!!! One day at a time that's all it takes. Wink

Dahli
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:29 pm      Reply with quote
Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking is a book well worth investing in. It completely changes how you look at smoking and has been extremely effective for many many people.

I used it seven years ago and quit cold turkey with nary a twinge... Amazon I think has some good reviews if you're interested. There's 393 reviews and I believe most of them are five star.
Angie B

Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:58 am      Reply with quote
GREAT JOB KASSY! Dancing

I too feel your pain. I'm on 16 days and went out w/friends last night, had a few beers and felt miserable. My clothes were tight due to the 7 lbs I've gained, I didn't feel peppy or social. I just felt fat, frumpy, BLAH! Sad

But I did NOT smoke and proud of that fact. My focus now is to eat less and work out even more. I've been running/walking on the treadmill 2-3 miles about 3-4 days a week along w/lifting weights. Brick wall I guess I need to "kill" myself to maintain. And yes, weight gain is better than smoking BUT I want to feel better about myself not worse. And weight gain for me is very bad on my mental state.

Isn't there anything out there that I can take that is safe but can boost my metabolism/stimulant that mimics nicotine? Just so I can maintain my weight and quit smoking? Think Pray

Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:54 pm      Reply with quote
Hello All.

First let me say that this is my first posting, I am new to the Forum and have been lurking for a couple of weeks now. I hadn't really felt the need to post until I came across this topic. I wanted to encourage anyone who is still smoking to do whatever it takes (anything that's legal!) to become cigarette free. I smoked for over 20 years, though I wasn't a heavy smoker, I did smoke 5+ cigarettes everyday. When I was stressed, I smoked up to a pack. I tried for years to quit, using nicorette, will-power, tapering off, etc... I actually prayed and asked to be relieved of the physical craving and it worked! I smoked my last cigarette one July 4th 2001.

Not smoking is one of the very best things you can do for your skin, health, sense of well-being and your loved ones. No more smelly hair, breath, clothes, house, or car.

I suggest putting the money you spend on cigarettes in a jar each day, at the end of one month, you'll be able to treat yourself to something really fabulous as a reward.

If you do succumb to having a cigarette after making the decision to stop, don't beat yourself up. Regroup and stop again. You'll succeed if you'll stop just one more time than you start!

The following benefits of being smoke-free are listed at the American Lung Association website.

When smokers quit, within twenty minutes of smoking that last cigarette the body begins a series of changes.

At 20 minutes after quitting:

* blood pressure decreases
* pulse rate drops
* body temperature of hands and feet increases

At 8 hours:

* carbon monoxide level in blood drops to normal
* oxygen level in blood increases to normal

At 24 hours:

* chance of a heart attack decreases

At 48 hours:

* nerve endings start regrowing
* ability to smell and taste is enhanced

The first year after quitting:

At 2 weeks to 3 months:

* circulation improves
* walking becomes easier
* lung function increases

1 to 9 months:

* coughing, sinus congestion, fatigue, shortness of breath decreases

1 year:

* excess risk of coronary heart disease is decreased to half that of a smoker

Long-term Benefits of Quitting

At 5 years:

* from 5 to 15 years after quitting, stroke risk is reduced to that of people who have never smoked.

At 10 years:

* risk of lung cancer drops to as little as one-half that of continuing smokers
* risk of cancer of the mouth, throat, esophagus, bladder, kidney, and pancreas decreases
* risk of ulcer decreases

At 15 years:

* risk of coronary heart disease is now similar to that of people who have never smoked
* risk of death returns to nearly the level of people who have never smoked

The following website also addresses some of the reasons why women often find it more difficult to remain smoke-free than men. As a new member, I spelled out dot

no-smokingdotorg/july03/07-09-03-10dothtml

I wish you well in your journey towards freedom from cigarettes.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:05 am      Reply with quote
well I'm back on the patch after relapsing for a full week, this time I'm true to myself, I will do this nomatter what.........I'm glad to have this forum.... Cool
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:21 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |