Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Anyone new to sunscreens - look here
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Poll :: After reading the sunscreen FAQ

I am more confused
33%
 33%  [ 4 ]
I am clearer
66%
 66%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 12

Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:55 pm      Reply with quote
I've just added a draft sunscreen FAQ to this thread

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=15323&start=25

If you're new to sunscreens or you have a question about them would you please take a look and then come back to this thread and vote and tell me what is unclear or confusing or not.

Thanks Molly
Mabsy

Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:09 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Molly!
autumn
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:57 pm      Reply with quote
You are brave to tackle such a topic. Sunscreens is a hotly debated topic on the skinboard on MUA.
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:03 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
Sunscreens is a hotly debated topic on the skinboard on MUA.

We've had some of that here too Autumn in the past, believe me! Confused but the discussions seem less confrontational over it these days so I didn't feel it was too risky.

What are the main points people argue about over there? Just out of interest.

Molly Smile
Ninetynine
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:10 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Molly. I've learnt a lot more about ss. Problem is I don't know what type of ss I have as I have thrown away the box.

I didn't know that I can't use ss on top of spf moisturer. I've been doing this for a while Confused

On another note, as I am new to forums, how do I poll? I've looked everywhere but I can't find any buttons etc.
Ninetynine
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:11 am      Reply with quote
Well I just found out. I don't why those boxes didn't pop up earlier.
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:16 am      Reply with quote
Hi ninetynine
You can wear moisturiser underneath physical and euro SS as long as you don't choose one with conflicting SS chemicals in it. Most do wear moisturiser. I only said it wasn't tested like that. It 'might' not be so good under the older chemical screens because they absorb a bit to work, but it's only a might. Maybe I should clarify that.

If you tell us your brand. I'm sure we can tell you what kind it is?
Molly
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:24 am      Reply with quote
The sunscreen article at cosmetic cop is the definitive for me.
Natz87
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:42 pm      Reply with quote
Well I definately learned alot that I didn't know,, thanx Very Happy
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:57 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Natz

SusieQ, thanks for the link. I just wanted to give simple answers to the questions we get asked here regularly, but we will add links for further info. Although I seem to remember I found her comments on high PPD SS not very well informed. I'll look again though. It was some time ago.
autumn
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:27 pm      Reply with quote
Molly wrote:
Quote:
Sunscreens is a hotly debated topic on the skinboard on MUA.

We've had some of that here too Autumn in the past, believe me! Confused but the discussions seem less confrontational over it these days so I didn't feel it was too risky.

What are the main points people argue about over there? Just out of interest.

Molly Smile

While I like MUA sunscreen is discussed just too much on the skincare board! It is taken as a very serious topic there.

The issue of stable vs unstable is always discussed and PPD values. While it is important to realize that some filters are better than others for blocking UVA this is a major discussion daily. Also most don't agree on if sunscreen should be worn ALL the time; indoors vs outdoors. Also disagreement on UV emitted from computer screens; if you have an office with a window how much UV are you getting, etc. Also major discussions on makeup and sunscreen and how much time you should have in between applications.

Some MUA's will have links to dermotology sites/medical links with the science of sunscreen (filters or actives and graphs) and can overwhelm newbies!

Also if you admit to not wearing sunscreen daily or worse trying to tan; watch out! Or if you wear a sunscreen that is not a high PPD one someone will suggest you should.

I have been a member of MUA for over 3 years and the sunscreen issue has always been much discussed. I don't see it changing much.
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:46 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Autumn

I see. To be honest there have been similar kinds of flare up here over pretty much the same issues. I've even seen threads from the earliest days of EDS, before I was here, where people got quite ugly with each other.

It used to be the case here that if you admitted you didn't use SS or a high PPD SS you'd sometimes get told off, but these days it seems to me we've settled into groups of users - some mineral, some high PPD, some organic/naturals and people seem tolerant of each others views. I don't think most people are uninformed; they just make their own choices based on the practical side of things and their own beliefs about UV (research doesn't seem to agree on that) and lifestyle choices.

The only one that hasn't been hotly debated here is the stable/unstable issue. Maybe I should add a paragraph about that. I think the MUA sunscreen FAQ gives some good pointers as to which brands are stable.

Hopefully this will change though as high PPD brands become available in the US. I don't think photostability is such a big issue when you're buying in the UK, though it used to be when we first had a choice of old filters and new filters.

Thanks, that's interesting.
Molly Smile
autumn
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:13 pm      Reply with quote
MUA does have some good notepads with some information on the type of active ingredient filters. Nora80 compiled a list of recommended sunscreens including US/Cdn drugstore/department store years ago. It is basic list that is practical. While some MUA have no issue ordering sunscreen from overseas and/or Ebay most people do not want to do that.

Also if you look at the sunscreen reviews on productville it gives you an idea of what sunscreens seem to be working for people.

I think everyone wants the information and then they can decide from there for themselves. I do know that some people are HIGHLY sensitive to chemical filters in sunscreen and have limited choices. Also if you are acne prone and/or roscea sunscreen can be a problem.

while I think sunscreen is important I really don't want to be a sunscreen cop on a forum!
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:19 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
I really don't want to be a sunscreen cop on a forum!

- that's makes two of us Laughing
'sunscreen cop', that's what they are! I hadn't thought of it like that before.
gosa
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:41 pm      Reply with quote
thanks so much for all the info you've in Molly! thumbs up!!
KARINA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:10 pm      Reply with quote
Very useful information - makes us more aware....
Ninetynine
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:14 am      Reply with quote
Hi Molly

I managed to find another box of sunscreen. It's Lancome's UV Expert with a UVA PA+++ rating and UVB SPF50 rating. No mention of PPD. I spent 5 minutes looking at the ingredients which did not give me an idea whether it was physical, chemical or Euro ss and lo and behold, what do I find staring me in the face, on the front of the box it says "Mexoryl SX + Memoryl XL". I suppose this is a Euro ss.

I usually put on my day cream which is SPF15 and then the ss. The moisturiser is Lancome Absolue Replenishing Fluid. I have no idea what type of ss this is. Should I continue using this moisturiser and the UV Expert as I don't want to have free radicals on my face Crying or Very sad
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:04 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |