Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
Is it true that your skin can become immune...?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:02 pm      Reply with quote
A sales lady once told me i shouldn't start using anti-aging lines when i am younger because then my skin will become "immune" to the ingredients and i won't be able to benefit from anti-aging products when i am older. is that true? it sounds like crock to me.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:25 pm      Reply with quote
I was going to start the same topic. I'm always afraid to overdo things, so then my skin will not react to anti-aging products. I don't know if it's true or myth.Confused
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:49 pm      Reply with quote
I think it's a little bit of a crock, but not entirely.

Your skin certainly gets used to acids and you end up using higher and higher percentages, especially people who do high strength peels.

But other actives, especially preventative kinds such as Vit C, your skin needs them to function so you can hardly become immune to them.

If I was young I'd stay away from acids, but dose myself with anti-oxidants.

I'm sure there are other views on this one...
skincarefreak
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:50 pm      Reply with quote
Your skin can build up tolerance to a product. That's why it's important to use different actives.
my sushi secret
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:27 pm      Reply with quote
Molly wrote:
If I was young I'd stay away from acids, but dose myself with anti-oxidants.

Molly, do you mean all acids or just the stronger ones used for peels?
jumpingball
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:37 pm      Reply with quote
Molly, what do you think in what age should we start using cp?
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:53 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Sushi, I think it's probably an unpopular view on this board, but seeing as your skin exfoliates naturally when you're young I really don't think it's sensible to even use the gentler surface ones. I can't give an exact age because we all age differently, but personally I wouldn't use them til hitting thirty or more.

On the other hand if you have oily skin and/or acne I think BHA's at a low percentage (2%) are probably more beneficial than harmful. I mean you don't want scarring or inflammation from acne. But BHA's don't (as far as I'm aware) penetrate in the same way as AHA's. It's pore cleansing with very slight exfoliation.

Hi Jumpingball. I'm not sure. They say the processes in the skin start slowing after 25, but I'm afraid I'm in the 'if it's not broke, don't bla bla...' camp. I would have thought a little light CP (e.g Skinbio's CP serum) as prevention would be good in the late twenties onwards as would anti-oxidants.

That's if your skin's nice and well balanced. If you're young and you've got problems with dehydration and or oiliness as above then I might use mild CPs younger to try and fix it, but I wouldn't touch the stronger ones.

It's just an opinion. Don't quote me on that Laughing M

Forgot to say - one of the reasons I don't think it's a good idea to use acids is that it increases the chances of sun damage so if your skin exfoliates naturally why open yourself up to that problem early.

....plus degrading your skin barrier function, ie. your natural acid mantle.
ahau
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:03 pm      Reply with quote
jumpingball wrote:
I was going to start the same topic. I'm always afraid to overdo things, so then my skin will not react to anti-aging products. I don't know if it's true or myth.Confused

I think it's just a myth.
Sel
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:53 pm      Reply with quote
I've heard the same thing before, i'm sure with certain products that it's true to some extent. I've worried in the past that maybe I've been using certain products at a far too young age. Though when I read on the forum the products people who are younger than me are using, sometimes I'm quite surprised at the amount of strong products they're using at such a young age.
Rufus
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:55 pm      Reply with quote
I generally rotate some of the products I use as the change seems to keep the best benefits of the products going strong.
Wein
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:56 pm      Reply with quote
skincarefreak wrote:
Your skin can build up tolerance to a product. That's why it's important to use different actives.

What are the different actives suitable for young skin? Like say Vit C serum, HA serum, etc?
Lucinda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:51 am      Reply with quote
Oh no... I think I am using too many actives.. Embarassed

It's a shame they are so very addictive!
jumpingball
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:48 am      Reply with quote
Sel wrote:
I've heard the same thing before, i'm sure with certain products that it's true to some extent. I've worried in the past that maybe I've been using certain products at a far too young age. Though when I read on the forum the products people who are younger than me are using, sometimes I'm quite surprised at the amount of strong products they're using at such a young age.

I feel the same way when I read some topics. It looks like sometimes people in their 20s and 50s use the same actives. (I'm not talking about preventive actives such as vit.C)
Rufus
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:21 pm      Reply with quote
Molly wrote:
Hi Sushi, I think it's probably an unpopular view on this board, but seeing as your skin exfoliates naturally when you're young I really don't think it's sensible to even use the gentler surface ones. I can't give an exact age because we all age differently, but personally I wouldn't use them til hitting thirty or more.

I agree with you, the 20's are a time to protect what you have. That's the time to be careful about sun exposure and anything that will dehydrate you or otherwise age you. We will all get older no matter what but if you start young you will look your best and enjoy the journey more Wink
m.april
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:58 am      Reply with quote
Hi skincareaddicted - I think you chanced upon an exceptional sales associate! Imagine, she didn't try to push anti-aging products on you (which tend to be more expensive)! I doubt that an "immunity" can develop, but like Molly, I think increased tolerance to acids can cause one to use stronger and stronger formulae in order to get the same amount/rate of exfoliation. It's kind of like reaching a plateau in a workout regime -- results diminish if the routine isn't revised once in a while. It's not a bad idea to give skin a rest from acids now and then.

However, there may be some other anti-aging actives that elicit the same reaction once the skin becomes fully acclimated to them -- I wouldn't be surprised.

Even though you say your cheeks can be dry, it's more likely the SA didn't want to sell you anti-aging products because so many are very emollient (tailored for dryer, mature skin) and could clog your pores.
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:20 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
I feel the same way when I read some topics. It looks like sometimes people in their 20s and 50s use the same actives

So, just out of interest Jumpingball and Sel etc. why do you use these actives? Are you trying to fix something? M Cool
whimsy
5% products discount

Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:50 pm      Reply with quote
Are MD Formulation amongst the products you wouldnt recommend for younger skin too, Molly? I am wondering if I'm using them too early, but I was kind of planning to use them as treatment for a short period to get rid of dehydration and some spots,and then go over to more "normal" skin care products after I've used up my skin kit.

When it comes to dehydration (and my dehydration lines from my nose to my mouth) I think it has really helped though. EDS did throw in a full size product of the MDF Vit A Plus eye cream which I'm a bit scared to use...should I exchange or swap it?

I'm 25 by the way...

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:56 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks to this thread, I have slowed down on my ISC use. I'm only going to use the Active Serum when I get a break out... Or if I feel my skin really needs it. I'm still using JB apple peel and PSF enzyme peel though.
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:13 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
Are MD Formulation amongst the products you wouldnt recommend for younger skin too, Molly?

Blimey Whimsy, I'm flattered that you ask me, but I'm really not an expert on this topic. And I don't think there's much research into young people using these things. At least I've never seen any. So mine's just an opinion or a guess even. Just research the ingredients and use products you feel comfortable with.
Molly Smile
jumpingball
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:50 pm      Reply with quote
Molly wrote:
Quote:
I feel the same way when I read some topics. It looks like sometimes people in their 20s and 50s use the same actives

So, just out of interest Jumpingball and Sel etc. why do you use these actives? Are you trying to fix something? M Cool

Molly, I'm thirty, and I use only vitC, JB Green Apple Peel, and Bioelements quick refiner. But sometimes I question myself maybe I should use something stronger. Rolling Eyes I think about CP.
Sel
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:54 pm      Reply with quote
I've been tempted to try other things like the ISC range, but as I'm happy with what i'm using now I'd rather wait until I had more need to use those products.
I'm using Skinceuticals AOX20 and Juice Beauty Peel,and sometimes the PSF one. I use a BHA sometimes aswell, but i find AHA products more effective for me. I wouldn't want to add any more exfoliating products though, because I can see how easy it would be to overdo things.
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:03 pm      Reply with quote
Jumpingball
You know, I wouldn't have any qualms about using the milder CPs at age 30 (e.g. CP serum). They're not going to harm your skin barrier like AHAs or highly acidic Vit Cs. I'd say it's a much gentler treatment than both of those. You don't get so much build with it, but you get well balanced, naturally moisturised skin and it feels a bit thicker and more robust. Nothing miraculous though.
Lucinda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:21 pm      Reply with quote
Molly wrote:
Jumpingball
You know, I wouldn't have any qualms about using the milder CPs at age 30 (e.g. CP serum). They're not going to harm your skin barrier like AHAs or highly acidic Vit Cs. I'd say it's a much gentler treatment than both of those. You don't get so much build with it, but you get well balanced, naturally moisturised skin and it feels a bit thicker and more robust. Nothing miraculous though.

How can you tell if your VitC is highly acidic?
I use ISC Super Serum...
m.april
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:02 pm      Reply with quote
I'm 54 and didn't have acne until I was well into my 30s -- that's when I started using glycolic acid products and prescription retinoids. Glycolic acid cleared everything up quickly, but I mainly started using Retin-A then because it was touted as an anti-aging product as much as an acne treatment. My skin hated it! But believe me, if I'd had acne when I was younger and these products helped, I'd have used them as long as I needed them. After all, physicians prescribe strong retinoids to young people with acne, and as Molly said, it's better to treat it and clear it up rather than develop scarring and discoloration.

Women hoping to become pregnant though are advised to avoid retinoids, so this may be another reason for some younger people to use them with caution, and many anti-aging products include them these days. Safety rather than "immunity" seems to be the issue in this case.

I use various peels occasionally, but strong ones shouldn't be used too frequently or else the skin is much more vulnerable to photo-damage -- at any age. Health (i.e., risk of skin cancer) rather than "immunity" seems to be the real issue in this instance as well. The same would apply to any exfoliative product.

As far as building up an "immunity" to anti-aging products, I have to admit I've wondered if the frequent use of things like peptides that cause a bit of numbing or relaxation to prevent dynamic facial lines from worsening couldn't eventually cause some problems down the road. I'm just cautious by nature though and don't really know, and my suspicion isn't well-founded or necessarily rational!

There's also some debate about the long-term safety of hormonal-type ingredients in skincare products, but again, the bottom line is that developing "immunity" isn't the issue.

I faithfully use Vit.C serum, but don't know if it really does anything for my skin -- I'm just hoping it does! It's supposed to be photo-protective, not photo-damaging. If it's even truly effective, from what I know so far it's harmless at any age.

Regular use of effective sunscreen products is still, IMO, the best anti-aging thing one can do for their skin. Many physicians believe that sun exposure when we're young is especially damaging, and "immunity" isn't an issue with sunscreen either. People of every age should use it!
jumpingball
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:57 am      Reply with quote
Molly wrote:
Jumpingball

Thanks, Molly! Maybe I'll give CP a try. Cool
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:51 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |