Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
Long hair to short? Advice please!! Any regrets?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
deanne123
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:22 am      Reply with quote
I'm finding I want to cut my hair. I just don't know enough about hair to ask the right questions. What do you ladies wear and how long does it take you in the mornings?

My hair is so long and I find it is either in a bun or pony tail nowadays. I just don't have the time to curl it anymore. I'm just thinking I'm not 15 or 75 and a good hair cut might be in order (Oh Nick Arroyo why aren't you in Arizona?)

I want an easy style that will look polished but not matronly. Is that possible? Anyone take the plunge and go short and not regret it?
It took so long to grow it out. I'm afraid I'll regret it the moment i do it, but I keep thinking it would look better and more pulled together.

I'm looking for a short cut that is still feminine looking but nothing that takes 20 minutes to do in the AM. Any thoughts?

FYI: I have fine straight hair, but a lot of it and I have a long face. Any suggestions on a cut? I love Meryl Streeps cut on Devil wears Prada, but my husband thinks that is an old ladies hair cut. I have similar features to Meryl. Oh, I have to have my hair above my collar at work.

Any ideas would be appreciated! Thank you

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:32 am      Reply with quote
I had my hair short a couple years back. It was fun for a day or two, then I wanted my long hair back. But I have wavy, thick hair, so I like to have to long. If it's short it goes nuts, and it takes a lot of product to tame it. You should look through a hair style magazine to get ideas.

Maybe something like what Patricia Arquette has in Medium? She has bangs and some angling in the front, it's usually right at her shoulder. I always think it's a cute hair style, but not something I could ever have as her hair is stick straight.
Candy8865
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:34 am      Reply with quote
Hi Deanne!

I went through something similar when I turned 40. For the most part (except for the spiked top phase {shudder} kinda scary stage) I have had my hair long (middle of my back) & straight. I needed a change.

Went to my hairdresser & explained my feelings about wanting something snappy & fun, but easy to fix. She listened. She gave me bangs again, and not wanting to freak me & the whole regret cutting the long hair thing, slowly took off more length with each cut, adding long layers to it. I LOVE it. It's easy, gave me a new look w/o the shock of lopping it all off. We call it my 'sassy' haircut. I've had her go as short now to right above my shoulders (ok, did that once, was bit too short for me). Maintaining it now at just below the shoulder, tapered in at the front, long layers in the back.

Point is. Find someone who is willing to listen to what you're looking for. I had no idea what type of style I wanted, just that I wanted a change.

And keep this in mind. If you hate it - it'll grow back.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:52 am      Reply with quote
I have had short hair most of my life, I also have very fine hair but alot of it(my hair right now looks like Alissa Milano on Charmed when she had it ultra short).
My words of advice would be to find someone who has short hair that you like and ask them for a refferal.
Try going to a medium lenght that you can still put up before you go really short, it will help with the shock of cutting your hair off.
Never let anyone use a razor on you hair, for our hair type is equals disaster, also dont let them thin(texturize) the hair out too much it will make your hair look scraggly.
You could always try a clean or messy bob, cant really go wrong with either.
Look for a picture of a hair cut you like on someone who sorta looks like you and has a similar texture, and take it with you to the salon.
I spend less than 5-10 mins on my hair every morning and I only wash it every third day.
I often long for longer hair but yet I keep cutting it. Confused I am growing it out now, I think I just love not being commited to fixing it everyday.

HTH and good luck! Very Happy

27~Texas~Oily~ fair~ breakout prone~ easily congested~Cysts caused by emotional stress~ Using Ayurvedic skin care and philosophy~ Dry brushing body and face~ On strict less is more routine~ We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~ Oscar Wilde
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:00 am      Reply with quote
I think Candy's advice is very good. My situation is very similar: I've worn my fine, wavy hair extremely long almost all of my life. No layers, no bangs, no nothing, just long hair. I loved having long hair, but it was just a nightmare to style. I like to wear my hair blown back with A LOT of volume, a la Angelina Jolie, but because my hair was so long and heavy it was a constant uphill battle and it never really looked how I wanted it to look. Then, about a year ago, like Candy I found a very patient stylist who started cutting some layers and bangs and just went another inch or two shorter each time. Well, compared to most people I guess you could still say that my hair is pretty long, but going shorter and adding some layers and bangs has been a godsend. All of the sudden my hair has much more volume and movement and sex appeal. So, I say start taking some small steps to slightly shorter hair and see how it feels on you--- I think you'd find that you like it!^-^

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:11 am      Reply with quote
I regret it every time I get my hair cut short. I do like the lengths that Candy and Manslayerliz are talking about. They add volume and movement without losing the versatility. You'd still have to put your hair up for work at that length, but I agree with them that it's a good length and an easy adjustment. I have never found a short hair cut that wasn't a ton of trouble for me. With long, I just wash it and put curl cream in it. With short, I've always had to work with it. There's always some part that wants to do weird things. I'm way too lazy for that.
c4ward
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:47 pm      Reply with quote
I just got three inches cut off all around 3 weeks ago & HATE IT!!! What about long layers?
Tosca
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:52 pm      Reply with quote
Long layers are a good idea! I got long layers about six months ago, and my hair looks a lot better. If I blow it out straight, I have to turn the ends under with a round brush while I dry, but it looks good straight or wavy.
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:17 pm      Reply with quote
I completely understand how you feel. I like to wear my straight fine hair long (not too long as it goes limp and makes me look weird if its' too long). But I look better with long hair and have had long hair (down to my breast) most of my life. Once in a while though, I like to have a change. Usually this happens when I feel I'm at a new stage in my life or just feel that I NEED to have some change. Then I go and chop my hair off - done this about 2-3 times now. I usually chop 4-5 inches so from hair down to my breasts becomes hair to my neck. I find layering is perfect for fine hair and bangs are good too, especially if you have a longer face shape.

I used to have NO bangs for most of my life but more than a year ago, half a year after I chopped my hair I decided I have a big forehead and slanted bangs were the trend. So I got it and I'll never go back to not having bangs ever again. It really suits my oval shaped face, so you can consider getting that as well - it makes your short hair look more stylish too! But it's hard to find a good stylist to do slanted bangs though because you want it thin and layered and NOT too even or else it won't look natural.
Goofygal
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:04 pm      Reply with quote
For the last 18 years, I have been growing out my hair to waist length and chop it short. I do this every 2- 3 years. Thus, I have probably done this about 5-6 times. I did have my share of regrets but hey, the cool thing is that hair grows.

There are already some great feedbacks here. Just wanted to add that you should bring many samples of hairstyles that you like. It may look good on the celebrity or model, but it may not look good on you. Key thing is to bring as many as possible so that there are more options after discussing with your hair stylist.

Talk to your hair stylist to ensure that you guys are on the same page. Ask him/her to tie up you hair to give you an idea of how you look at the shorter length before you take the plunge.

It's hard to recommend hairstyle as it also depends on the distribution of your hair (e.g. I have lesser hair on top but lots of hair on my side and back). Best is to talk to your hair stylist. HTH thanks.
cloud_9
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:18 pm      Reply with quote
I just went through this. I spent 2 years growing out my hair because I had this "ideal hair" image in my head. But in real life and the Texas summer (We've had a heat wave, it's been at over 100 degrees for almost a month straight!) my hair was up every day. Even if I fixed it, it would be up a few minutes later. So at first I got long layers. I loved it right after it was cut, but after a week or so, it was back to normal and up. It still looked the same to me and took even LONGER to fix. (When it was all one length I could blowdry and only flatiron the top layer). About a week ago I got it cut to just below my shoulders, with "long" layers starting at about my chin. I LOVE it. It feels so much better, and I think it looks way more professional than a ponytail or bun. Plus, it dries so much faster and is quicker to fix and I use less shampoo and conditioner. It even made me look younger (I'm only 23, I'm not sure how old you are, it could be a good or bad thing Laughing )

Anyway, just a really long post to say I had long hair and cut it and have no regrets and am kicking myself for "wasting" all that time with long hair! Very Happy
Moonstarr
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:31 pm      Reply with quote
I'm constantly changing my hair ... grow it, cut it, grow it, etc., etc. I've never had really long hair though. It was a few inches below my shoulders and I just got it cut into a shorter bob today (and dyed it really, really dark brown from a lighter brown with blonde highlights). I love trying different things! Very Happy

I would suggest though if you've had long hair for a while, to do as someone else mentioned and take it up alittle bit at a time to see how you like it. I've always told myself "it will grow", so incase I get something I don't really like it's not like I live with it forever, BUT I've never had any drastic changes in length (more than maybe 5 inches at any one time). Collect some photos of things you like and take it slow so you'll be sure you will be happy with the final result. Good luck!!
appletini
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:11 pm      Reply with quote
I usually wear my hair short and get extensions every now and then when I want long hair.
Of course it's not cheap but you do get the instant gratification, instead of waiting years for your hair to grow (or in my case, break off).
Don't ever try to save money and use the cheaper hair though. The texture is hideous.
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:38 am      Reply with quote
From someone who has gone from long hair to very short to long to medium legnth then back to long I would advise you not to have your hair cut short.
First just go shoulder length, get used to that length and let your husband get used to it as well.
There is nothing worse than coming home from the hairdressers being unsure as to whether you like your new style and having your SO stand there shaking his head saying 'what possessed you, it looked so beautiful before' Rolling Eyes Laughing
Then if you still want to go short go for it.
I have very fine hair, it is past my shoulders now and it takes about 15 mins to blow dry in the morning, a pain I know but it actually took me longer when it was shorter as it would never do what I wanted.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:11 am      Reply with quote
Thank you everyone!! There is some great advice here which I followed. I went to a stylist, but she wasn't much help. She cuts ethnic hair normally. But she did suggest a bob. But aren't those fairly high maintanace? She did say I have an oblong face so at least that gives me an idea on different styles. I'm still researching. Very Happy

FYI: I did have it cut and lost about 4 inches about a month ago. I went in for a trim and she talked me into long layers. Somehow, the layers start at my shoulders and go down and my hair ended up from near my waist to my bra strap.

I wasn't too happy (it took a long time to grow out bangs and get everything one length). I didn't understand that long layers started so high up. Live and learn. Shock Anyway, once the shock wore off I realized I wanted to do something different which is a good thing--and it is just hair.

If I curl it then my hair looks great; HOWEVER, I don't and with fine, long hair the layers just look sort of...scraggly or unkept. It isn't down enough, but that is the best way I can describe how it looks to me.

I am looking for different styles now. I love the bang advice and that was right on the money. Here is a site I found last night. I'm still reading parts of it. It is really a great site for face shapes and examples. I am still looking at the makeover section. Smile http://www.beauty-and-the-bath.com/Oblong-Face-Shape.html

I have found so far that the wash and wear styles are rather manly on my face shape (as oppose to pixie-like on the models). Most of what I have found is that my face shape should keep it around the jawline which equals to lots of hairdrying I think? I don't mind a little, but I really hated the hairdryer and round brush routine for the entire head.

I do like the 'beach' hairstyles sort of Meg Ryan like. Does anyone know what they are? You know, the ones that look good messy? Does anyone have one? Is it alot of work?

I'll keep you all posted. Thanks

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:38 am      Reply with quote
Those new Jessica Simpsom hair extensions have a "short bob" look you can try if you want to see or just have the short look temporarily.

http://www.hairuwear.com/jessica.aspx?pgID=997

It is super easy and their synthetic is super affordable.$95- it is a one piece layered look both straight and wavy. Also have human for about $500. Available in Sept online and you can pre-order from hairextensions.com

I'm gonna try the long wavy length to add volume. If you check out the how to video you can see how easy and good it looks.
Natz87
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:47 am      Reply with quote
I know the dilema , I used want my hair cut short every summer and always regreted it . My hair is thick with natural loose curl . I have it long (about elbow length) and i get it thinned which makes it more managable. when i wear it straight it takes bout 20 mins to do but ive had it mostly curly /tousled recently which is great because only takes 5 mins Very Happy I personally cant face going short again , it just doesnt suit me . i think it really depends on your face . looking at a hair mags to get ideas might help and talking to your hairdresser as they might be able to suggest something you havent considered .

Good luck Very Happy
Tosca
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:10 pm      Reply with quote
deanne123, I do messy hair. Mine is naturally wavy, and it's about down to my bra strap right now with one layer in it. I like this length because it's not heavy, but it's still relatively long. I just wash it and run some curl cream through it. It works well for me because of the natural curl. I tried the messy short stuff (like Meg Ryan's short cut)a long time ago, and I hated it. I think it was just a bad cut, though. ...So, I guess that's not helpful.

I have also had many bobs. I like them, but they were high maintence for me because I had to blow and iron my hair out straight and then curl the ends under. If you don't get the ends curled under, your hair just looks sloppy and akward. For me, it's a bad cut because it doesn't work naturally with my hair. Also, I got really bored with bobs. They can be super-cute, but they're really basic.

My suggestion is to go to another hairdresser for opinions. They should be able to look at your hair texture and type , discuss your goals, look at your pictures and make several suggestions that would look good on your face and be low maintenance. If they can't, I would move along. I would suggest going to one of the pricer salons in your area for your initial style consult and cut. You can usually expect an experienced and creative stylist there. After the initial cut, you could go to someone a little less expensive. They should be able to maintain your cut.

Anyway, sorry for prattling on so.
unsassy
5% products discount

Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:50 pm      Reply with quote
Oh pleeease be sure to bring a good sample picture, have a trustworthy stylist, and don't be afraid to ask about/object to what they're doing if it seems contrary to what you asked for. I don't mean to sound paranoid but one time I went in asking for a few inches off and I walked out with something uncomfortably close to a mullet Rolling Eyes So you can understand why I'm a little touchy on the subject of getting a short cut Laughing
Tosca
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:34 pm      Reply with quote
I can relate to that, msassy! I walked out looking like Bon Jovi one time.
montrealgal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:58 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Deanne!

I cut my long hair just over a month ago - had about 6 inches taken off. I'm Asian and have worn my hair long and straight most of my life (although I have had short hair before -- even shorter than now).

I was looking for a change and the hairdresser (my first visit to her!) suggested layers (shortest ones to the top of the ear) and just barely touching the shoulders. It's kind of like a longer shag.

I'm loving it! (I wanted to wait a month to to be sure before responding to your post! Laughing ). I find it very freeing. It's super-easy to take care of - I just wash and let it dry (naturally -- don't like hair dryers -- so when it was long it took 3-4 hours to dry!) It dries faster and looks healthier and I think it makes me look younger. Plus I have fine, thin hair and the layers help give me volume.

Every now and then it does it's own thing and ends up looking a bit bohemian (a little wild - like I just rolled out of bed Laughing) and I get a kick out of that!

For the winter I'm going to let it grow a bit longer, but I don't ever plan to wear it really long or all one length again!

wave
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:09 am      Reply with quote
montrealgal wrote:
Hi Deanne!

I cut my long hair just over a month ago - had about 6 inches taken off. I'm Asian and have worn my hair long and straight most of my life (although I have had short hair before -- even shorter than now).

I was looking for a change and the hairdresser (my first visit to her!) suggested layers (shortest ones to the top of the ear) and just barely touching the shoulders. It's kind of like a longer shag.

I'm loving it! (I wanted to wait a month to to be sure before responding to your post! Laughing ). I find it very freeing. It's super-easy to take care of - I just wash and let it dry (naturally -- don't like hair dryers -- so when it was long it took 3-4 hours to dry!) It dries faster and looks healthier and I think it makes me look younger. Plus I have fine, thin hair and the layers help give me volume.

Every now and then it does it's own thing and ends up looking a bit bohemian (a little wild - like I just rolled out of bed Laughing) and I get a kick out of that!

For the winter I'm going to let it grow a bit longer, but I don't ever plan to wear it really long or all one length again!

wave

I cut my very long hair (long layers, wavy and course) to a super short shag about 3 months ago. My fiancé likes it well enough but prefers longer hair. So, I'm growing it out again but not just for that reason. I cannot tolerate not being able to put it up! It's driving me completely nuts. Smile I won't let it get as long as before but will probably let it go past my shoulders and then maybe no longer than my bra strap. I have to keep layers, though, or it gets wild and wooly.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:09 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Deanne! 2 weeks ago I had a horrible experience..went to a new salon and they fried my hair so I had to get my long hair cut. Regrets...yes because even with sooo much cut off I have damaged hair still. I alo have fine hair. Hair always grows back! Even if something hadn't happened..within the next few months I probably still would have had it cut. As soon as it get past my shoulders...I always get it cut. If you're timid about it...get small amounts cut off at different times. Good luck!
xzou
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:25 pm      Reply with quote
I've always had long hair until 2 years ago. I started to cut hair shorter and shorter. I enjoyed it because it's a easier/lighter feeling for me. However, I am planning to grow back long hair now because I think long hair makes me look more feminine.
montrealgal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:36 pm      Reply with quote
scalawaggirl wrote:
I cut my very long hair (long layers, wavy and course) to a super short shag about 3 months ago. My fiancé likes it well enough but prefers longer hair. So, I'm growing it out again but not just for that reason. I cannot tolerate not being able to put it up! It's driving me completely nuts. Smile I won't let it get as long as before but will probably let it go past my shoulders and then maybe no longer than my bra strap. I have to keep layers, though, or it gets wild and wooly.

Saw your pic, Scalawaggirl... my hair's not that short -- you're brave!

Ah yes... men love long hair. Why is that? Confused But I know what you mean about not being able to put it up! I told the hairdresser I wanted to be able to do that and that's why it's not any shorter than it is!

Xzou -- yes, I think you're probably right. Long hair is generally more feminine looking Smile
System
Automatic Message
Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:50 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |