Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

In need of some advice...ASAP!!!!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:24 pm      Reply with quote
So I had a great routine until I changed one of my meds. My GYN switched my BC and warned me it may affect my complexion. It didn't the first week and a half, but suddenly in the past week my face is break-out city! I need to step up my routine ASAP.

AM:
Spritz with PSF toner after th shower
Decleor Ylang ylang oil
Decleor mattifying fluid
(make up routine includes MMU --Everyday minerals)

PM:
Wash Yonka Gel Nettoyant
Mario Badescu glycolic gel
Decleor Ylang Ylang balm
Spot treat with Mario Badescu drying cream or dying lotion (if blemish is really really big, I've used ALOT of this lately!)

After researching much of the day I've adjusted what I was planning on purchasing. Since I am in the US, I cannot purchase Yonka on EDS, but skinstore.com has a kit that comes with my usual cleansing gel and the Yonka lotion/toner for oily skin (50 bucks, separately it would be 62 USD).
I'm also planning on putting Yonka Juvenal in my cart...and phasing out some stuff I use already. So this is what I'd be looking at:

AM
Toner (either my PSF or the new Yonka one, depending on how dry my face feels after the shower, we have very hard water)
Yonka Juvenal
Decleor Ylang Ylang oil
Decleor Mattifying fluid

PM
Wash with Gel Nettoyant
Yonka Toner
Juvenal (phase out MB glycolic gel) where needed
Ylang ylang balm but only where needed (in T-zone)
Spot treat with MB drying cream only on blemishes (I normally put it all over my face)

Advice???? I know that this might all end up being too much, but I can readjust as my face comes back to normal (I'm hoping it evens out!!!) I've not had a break out this bad since high school.
Sad

I love you guys...you all rock! Any opinions on this new routine, other suggestions, are greatly greatly appreciated and very much needed!
xoxo

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:29 pm      Reply with quote
you know, the one thing i learned is to not waste money on a bunch of products but to switch BC pills if you are breaking out like crazy. I was on Allese and experienced breakouts, I stayed on the pill for hopes that my skin will get better and bought tons of products to help my skin. Products can only go so far to help your skin. When I switched BC pills (I am now on yasmine and loving it) my complexion totally cleared up. You just have to find a BC that's right for you, you shouldnt have to sacrifice your skin. Sometimes it takes trail and error to find the right BC pill
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:36 pm      Reply with quote
The reason she switched me was because the one I've been on for years didn't provide me the right amount of a certain hormone in the third week. My body changed in the past year and my pill wasn't cutting it (meaning, I'd always spot heavily the week before my period, then have it like normal...so essentially it felt like my period was 2 weeks long!). She actually pulled out this very technical chart and showed me the breakdown of every pill and the amounts of each hormone in each pill. We spent 20 minutes going through ones she thought would help fix my problem. So I didn't switch just to switch, it was for a very big reason (I got so sick of it!). The one I'm on now (can't remember the name) seemed the lesser of the other evils. I used to be on a low dose...this is still lower then most but I think the estrogen is higher?

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:47 pm      Reply with quote
When I went off of BC, my skin went absolutely nuts. I went from being pretty clear to having, like, 15 blemishes! It was just out of control!! Thankfully, I'm finally clear again, and here is how I did it:
1) antibiotics. I know that taking these isn't the best for your body, and I plan on weaning myself off of them in a few months, but they are a great way to pick up the slack when hormones are making your life miserable.
2) Benzoyl Peroxide Facewash. Again, I don't like using this and plan to quit after I've used the bottle up, but it helped stop the acne from destroying my face.
3) Tazorac. This stuff took a while to kick in, but when it did, wow! It has been systematically clearing out every single blocked pore on my face. Not bad!
4) Finacea. This is a prescription Azelaic Acid gel. My derm. prescribed it to me to help me fade all the red acne scars that are left, and from the first time I used it I could literally see it working, not just on red marks but also on clogged pores, blemishes, redness, you name it! Amazing stuff!
5) Zenbiotic toner, O2, and Phyto Moisture. This stuff is pure magic. The toner and O2 heal up blemishes and other problems in half the time it normally takes, and the Phyto Moisture hydrates without causing any additional problems, AND it helps fight acne too. If you don't want to go the BP face wash route, then I would also highly recommend trying the Zenbiotic cleanser as when I used to use it it worked wonders on acne.

I know this is a lot of stuff (I wanted to get really aggressive so I wasn't looking at a face full of scars for the rest of my life.), so you may want to try just one or 2 of the things I talked about and see how they treat you. Good luck--- I know what you are going through and it is the WORST! It does get better tho, so hang in there!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:50 pm      Reply with quote
I like the Dr. H line of products for mild acne. Also clynoxil gel is a topical acne cream that you put on your face at night is great (but you need a doctor to prescribe it) I used this stuff when I was on Allese BC pills and breaking out alot.
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:42 pm      Reply with quote
Paris I imagine that switching you BC pills has a lot to do with it but there may be more to it than that.

As a fellow desert dweller I noticed that last year and the year before my acne got much worse around October. At the time I attributed it to this or that cause. But at some point it dawned on me that maybe the change in the humidity had something to do with it. Going from our monsoon weather to almost no humidity in such a short time! I don't think that dehydrated skin is healthy skin and unhealthy skin is more prone to all sorts of problems including acne. This year I am really focusing on keeping my skin hydrated and will see if that works. I notice from your routine that you don't use many hydrating products and use some like glycolic acid which can be dehydrating. Like I said above your BC probably has a lot to do with it but may not be the only factor.
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:06 pm      Reply with quote
Juvenil is good, but it makes me purge. I would advise you to mix it with your Decleor mattifying fluid when you start. It's supposed to be used after your oil anyways. I'm not sure if the Yonka products would help that much, the toner is great though. If I was going to recommend 1 product from Yonka it would be Emulsion Pure for compresses after extraction or picking or any red/inflamed acne. Juvenil is effective and it's not. For me it's not a good spot treatment but I feel it helps to keep my acne at bay when I mix it with my moisturizer. It also made me purge pretty badly when I slathered it all over my face. I think you'd be better off with a good spot treatment instead of Juvenil. You already have something at night - both YY balm and MB, so you just need to find something in the daytime. I would suggest going for a natural remedy like Tea tree oil - or an acne treatment with tea tree oil. Or there seem to be good feedback on JB Blemish Serum. I also think instead of the Yonka Cleanser to find a good anti-bacterial cleanser. Again I would recommend tea tree oil, but if you prefer SA or BP those would work too as long as your skin won't get too dried out. I think you should also start cleansing in the AM.

You could try Earth to Body products that Yen was raving about - the soap, acne treatment and the clay-need treatment all seem like very good choices. The toner is WONDERFUL. This line helped my acne heal too.
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:31 pm      Reply with quote
sormuimui wrote:
Juvenil is good, but it makes me purge. I would advise you to mix it with your Decleor mattifying fluid when you start. It's supposed to be used after your oil anyways. I'm not sure if the Yonka products would help that much, the toner is great though. If I was going to recommend 1 product from Yonka it would be Emulsion Pure for compresses after extraction or picking or any red/inflamed acne. Juvenil is effective and it's not. For me it's not a good spot treatment but I feel it helps to keep my acne at bay when I mix it with my moisturizer. It also made me purge pretty badly when I slathered it all over my face. I think you'd be better off with a good spot treatment instead of Juvenil. You already have something at night - both YY balm and MB, so you just need to find something in the daytime. I would suggest going for a natural remedy like Tea tree oil - or an acne treatment with tea tree oil. Or there seem to be good feedback on JB Blemish Serum. I also think instead of the Yonka Cleanser to find a good anti-bacterial cleanser. Again I would recommend tea tree oil, but if you prefer SA or BP those would work too as long as your skin won't get too dried out. I think you should also start cleansing in the AM.

You could try Earth to Body products that Yen was raving about - the soap, acne treatment and the clay-need treatment all seem like very good choices. The toner is WONDERFUL. This line helped my acne heal too.

I actually just looked up all the ingredients in Juvenal, Castor Oil is surprisingly high on the list and my skin doesn't like Castor Oil. I've also heard about the purging...I'm leaning now towards Juice beauty (this was actually pretty high on my list at first).

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:32 pm      Reply with quote
sormuimui wrote:

Laughing I was just about to suggest them.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:48 pm      Reply with quote
i have been there...not due to BC pils but due to PCOS.....and honestly, when its hormones almost nothing helps. It all happening deep down and there is nothing much you can do topically which can help. I have been on Metformin for last year or so and I am scared of the day when I have to go off it Mad

That said you can certainly treat them better....Juvenil is very good as it is gentle and effective. Decleor balm, IMO is good for minor congestion but doesnt work for those kind of breakouts. They feel good though and gives you a glow. I really think you should exfoliate (GENTLY) somewhere in there ...I didnt see an exfoliant there. Sormuimui and Yen's suggestion of Earth to Body Neem products I think sounds VERY good for you...

maybe you can try some supplements like Vitex but you must talk to your Gyn before that....

BTW, If you want to try Decleor Essential Balm(which is for congestion supposedly and quite good)...please let me know...I have a lot of it and will happily send you a decant which will be good for a couple of months' use.
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:32 pm      Reply with quote
TheresaL wrote:
Paris I imagine that switching you BC pills has a lot to do with it but there may be more to it than that.

As a fellow desert dweller I noticed that last year and the year before my acne got much worse around October. At the time I attributed it to this or that cause. But at some point it dawned on me that maybe the change in the humidity had something to do with it. Going from our monsoon weather to almost no humidity in such a short time! I don't think that dehydrated skin is healthy skin and unhealthy skin is more prone to all sorts of problems including acne. This year I am really focusing on keeping my skin hydrated and will see if that works. I notice from your routine that you don't use many hydrating products and use some like glycolic acid which can be dehydrating. Like I said above your BC probably has a lot to do with it but may not be the only factor.

You know, I didn't even really think about now that the monsoon is over that I'm dealing with much dryer air than before. I think I probably do need to add moisture.

This is all such great advice Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:38 pm      Reply with quote
sormuimui wrote:
I also think instead of the Yonka Cleanser to find a good anti-bacterial cleanser.

How about Dermalogica Anti-Bac Skin wash? That's antibacterial...well, according to the name...Laughing!

5% products discount

Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:00 pm      Reply with quote
I have been spot treating with Tea Tree Oil lately and it really helps sooth and heal my hormonal acne. I also like the DIY ACV toner, it really softens my skin tone.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:41 pm      Reply with quote
Maybe your skin will adapt after your body starts adapting to the new BC. If you're in a dry climate, a humidifer works great!Stress can also cause your skin to breakout.
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:11 am      Reply with quote
ParisTroika wrote:
sormuimui wrote:
I also think instead of the Yonka Cleanser to find a good anti-bacterial cleanser.

How about Dermalogica Anti-Bac Skin wash? That's antibacterial...well, according to the name...Laughing!

Yep, I'm sure that ones antibacterial, but you should get samples to make sure it won't dry out your skin. I think I'd recommend Earth to Body's clay-need soap or Zenbiotic's face + body cleanser. Those 2 look like good choices although I'm not sure how "antibacterial" the zenbiotic one is (but it says it is in the description). If you can't find a good cleanser you can always go for PSF O2 and add that to your regime since it kills bacteria as well or zenbiotic one or their colloidal silver.

I know a lot of people in the forum use TTO neat but if you decide to do that you should be aware of the "tea tree oil burn" thread where other users have experienced burns from using TTO to spot treat.
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:28 am      Reply with quote
I used to use TTO based cleansers and TTO itself back several years ago in high school...and I did get terrible burning...hence I'm a little nervous to go back. I always assumed that it was just too much for my face, but considering the amount of prescription dermalogical products I was using, it might have merely been overkill.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:52 am      Reply with quote
I've had alot of luck with Ice Elements Acne Serum lately. I find with my skin I have to take a proactive approach to preventing acne - I have to treat my skin daily whether I have any active blemishes or not. The serum is really great though. The ingredients are very gentle and I really like that it's aloe based. It also has glycolic & salicylic acids & tea tree oil in it. From what I've read on the message boards on Ice Elements, the glycolic is at 7% and the salicylic is at 3%. It's also VERY reasonably priced.
System
Automatic Message
Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:53 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |