Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
Found my new puppy hanging upside down from...
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:47 pm      Reply with quote
a foldable wire shopping cart I put in the kitchen in front of the baby gate used to block her exit from the kitchen. I also blocked this cart with another chair. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw her hanging about 2 feet up from the floor just when I went home to check in on her.

It took me a bit of time to untangle her, and opened up the cart to let her leg loose. Her face was all teared up, so I had to wash it and dried it. She's so shaken up. I have her here at work with me. She walks with a limp, not using the leg that got caught in the cart. She is not eating or drinking now, just interested in sleeping and I'm letting her. From touching her injured leg gently and pulling a bit, she didn't make any sound or cry, so I'm assuming nothing is broken.

My plan is to observe her. Let her rest, and see if I need to take her to a vet tomorrow morning or not.

What do you think? (If the situation wasn't so serious, I'd have laughed because it looked comical but scary at the same time.)
Arielle
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:14 pm      Reply with quote
Poor little thing. Just watch her for tonight to make sure the not eating is temporary. If she's not drinking either she may have twisted and injured herself. So watch that, too.

Hopefully, she's just shaken up. If the limp doesn't get better, she won't eat or drink, has trouble going "potty" or she starts to tremble take her to the vet. Some animals won't cry out or flinch if you touch them where they're hurting but they can't control the trembling when they are in pain.

I hope she gets better.

Ari

p.s. She's probably going to be terrified of anything made of wire now.

EDIT:

p.p.s. I just asked my boss (he's a vet). He said I was "spot on" and only added that you should probably go ahead and have the leg looked at in case there's trauma like a pinched nerve or ligament damage. You know - just in case.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:16 pm      Reply with quote
I'm not a vet, but see if you can get her to drink some chicken broth (preferably fresh with no salt). This is a good way to coax her into drinking so that she doesn't get dehydrated. If she will drink a little broth then see if you can get her to eat just a few tiny bites of chicken - just very tiny and not more that 3-4. This has always worked very well with my cats and dogs. If she is still limping tomorrow I would get her to a vet.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:18 pm      Reply with quote
I would also seriously consider getting a small puppy crate for her to stay in. She sounds like a climber and it will keep her from further misadventures. She will learn to love it and it will become her "private" space as she grows up.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:19 pm      Reply with quote
ohhhhh poor baby!! Having my puppy as new as yours, I'd be a puddle on the floor. If she stays unresponsive to food and water for more than a day, I'd def have her looked at! Keep us posted.

ps. I use a plastic sliding baby gate that does a tension lock, she can not climb it or get over it, not sure if your using the wooden one or this one, but it was about 16.95 versus the 9.95 wooden one. ohhh edited to add I bought this at target and there is a huge diff between the 2, I splurged not out of intellegence but they were sold out of the cheaper one!
sigma
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:29 pm      Reply with quote
I would also recommmed getting a crate. Was a saviour for us.

Ans I would have her leg checked by thye vet just in case. I am a worrier by nature.

Best of luck,
Lucy.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:11 pm      Reply with quote
I'd take her to the vet tomorrow no matter what. If anything out of the ordinary happens,I'd take her to the animal emergency (if you have one). That is so traumatic. My best friend had a kitten die on a pull curtain when he was a little boy & is still haunted by it. I hope your baby is okay. Did you decide on the name Coconut? Keep us posted. Coleen

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:22 pm      Reply with quote
I am so sorry to hear about the puppy's misadventure. I hope she is ok and that you will keep us posted with how she progresses.

Another vote for crating. We did this for our 2 dog since the day we brought them home (they are litter-mates), almost 3 years ago. They love their crate! They are full of mischief and this way we keep them safe from themselves when we aren't around.
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:27 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you so much all. I woke Coconut up and gave her some water. This time she drank it. She perked up when I took out the food bowl and she ate in ernest. Then she started limping over and promptly peed under my table on the carpet. I immediately told her NO (in a whispered voice since I was in my office), and picked her up. I had no idea where to put her down to finish her business. LOL I found some paper and put her on that, but she wouldn't go. She tentatively touched her injured leg on the floor and it must have been better because she started walking with much less limping. She's sleeping again now since I put her back in the box I brought her in.

I do have a crate for her, but I did not close the door. I was afraid she would go to the bathroom inside it, and I wouldn't be able to let her out since I was at work. Last night I had her in the crate all night and periodically woke up to take her to the bathroom.

Melissa, my heart was racing so fast as I was trying to untwist her body first, and then dislodge her little leg that got stuck between the folds of the folding shopping cart. It was not the baby gate that she used to climb up, or at least that was not where she was caught. Poor baby! I had no idea how long she was hanging upside down like that. I left her this morning around 9 am, and came home to check in on her at 1:30 pm. I sure hope it was not since 9 am when this happened. I felt bad for her. She seems to do much better though. That was a close call.

If she does not look good, I will definitely take her to a vet tomorrow, but based on how she's doing now, it looks like she'll be fine.

Salli - Thank you for your recommendation regarding the chicken broth. I will keep that in mind. Smile

Ari - Thank you for checking with your boss who is a vet for me. That's so sweet of you.
katee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:21 pm      Reply with quote
That puppy BETTER be okay Mad Mad Mad

wandering off muttering to myself
NoNaMe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:25 pm      Reply with quote
I am sorry about this matter. Sad
So. I hope she will OK and better soon. Wink
Anyhow, you should bring her to see vet for sure.
Arielle
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:28 pm      Reply with quote
You're very welcome. I'm glad she's starting to feel better. You probably already know that puppies and kittens can get in the same kinds of "fixes" as 4-year old human boys. LOL

Ari

One of my babies has had 2 seizures today and that always shakes me up.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:35 pm      Reply with quote
Arielle wrote:
You're very welcome. I'm glad she's starting to feel better. You probably already know that puppies and kittens can get in the same kinds of "fixes" as 4-year old human boys. LOL

Ari

One of my babies has had 2 seizures today and that always shakes me up.

Ari - Now I know! I've had several puppies in my life, but this one is the escape artist. She's all better now, playing again, wagging her tail, walking normally, and she's back to sleeping again. (They do a lot of napping, don't they?) What happened to your baby? Why did s/he have 2 seizures?

Katee - how are your puppies? Two pups at the same time can be tough. I did that once raising two labradors together. They were really mischievous.
salli
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:41 pm      Reply with quote
bkkgirl, glad you new four legged baby is much better. Please keep a very close eye on her. It's amazing what they can get into. That's why I stongly recommend crate training - not just for your convenience, but their safety.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:43 pm      Reply with quote
Ari, have you consulted your vet about valium for the puppy? I know it worked wonders for one of my cats.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:54 pm      Reply with quote
salli wrote:
Ari, have you consulted your vet about valium for the puppy? I know it worked wonders for one of my cats.

hmmmmm that could be dangerous, since I'd be downing it, so I could finally have a full nights sleep Cool ! Although I am finally getting about 6.5 hours, the brats giving me a break all of a sudden Very Happy !
Arielle
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:58 pm      Reply with quote
bkkgirl wrote:

Ari - Now I know! I've had several puppies in my life, but this one is the escape artist. She's all better now, playing again, wagging her tail, walking normally, and she's back to sleeping again. (They do a lot of napping, don't they?) What happened to your baby? Why did s/he have 2 seizures?

My 3 little girls are all throw-aways. Heidi, the white miniature poodle, is 9 years old. She had been taken to our vet to be put to sleep when she was not yet 4 years old because she had seizures. He doesn't do that. He kept her for over a month with no seizures and offered her to us. We brought her home and had her about a year before the seizures started. She's diabetic and recently diagnosed with Cushings. We have her on insulin and potassium bromide twice a day. She has the sweetest disposition!

The toy poodle, Venus (hate the name but didn't want to change it and confuse her), is also now 9 years old. She's the color of rich, warm maple. She had been shot, poisoned and run over before she got to us. Personality: "I'm a Princess and don't you forget it!"

Bridget is now almost 5 years old. She's a 65 pound mix-Lab, Weimaraner & maybe something else but I don't think so. Tremendous "herding instinct". Really watches the two little ones. Anyway, she was left under our porch when she was 5 weeks old. Before she was 1 year old she ate our rice four-poster, a computer chair and a recliner; learned how to open the pantry door, grab a bottle of white karo syrup and feast! Had to put her on Prozac til she outgrew all that. Laughing

Ari

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:20 pm      Reply with quote
Ari, seriously, I had a cat who had seizures. Called vet in the middle of the night and was told if I had valium to give her a tiny bit. I did this for a few months and she stopped having seizures altogether. From what I understand the valium stops the brain waves from having the irregular activity/nerve firing that causes the seizures. Just ask you vet and see - maybe I'm misinformed.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:23 pm      Reply with quote
I am glad to know that she is doing better now. Poor baby.
sigma
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:40 pm      Reply with quote
So glad Cocunut is doing better.
Please, keep us posted.

All the best,
Lucy.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:12 pm      Reply with quote
Poor little sweetie. I hope she feels better soon.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:10 am      Reply with quote
Thank you, all. The little puppy is really doing better. There's no sign that she was hanging upside down with tears covering her entire face at lunch today. PHEW!! That really was a close call. I am glad I went home at lunch today.
sarahb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:56 am      Reply with quote
I would have taken her to the vet, better to be safe than sorry.
~*Beru*~
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:07 am      Reply with quote
Awww, Coconut sounds so sweet. I'm sending her ((((((((((((((((get better and only pee outside vibes).
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:36 pm      Reply with quote
So glad to hear she's feeling better, but must admit that I would have taken her to the vet's just in case. As sarahb says, it's better to be safe than sorry.

She's such a little sweetheart, that Coconut.
System
Automatic Message
Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:42 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |