Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Sundari Omega 3+ and Amalaki Night Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Is the Salicylic Acid causing all this excess shedding? :(
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
xxndnromeoxx
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:51 pm      Reply with quote
Well this is the situation. I have this cleanser I use called Oil of Olay clarity. It has 2% Salicylic Acid in it.

Besides that, I use nothing that has chemicals in it. I get out of the shower and apply aloe vera gel and a bit of moisturizer right away.

What the problem is, is that after 12 hours passes, my face is oily, AND the sides of my nose and the nose area is peeling! Like you can peel of dead skin from it. It's really gross. I even moisturize properly, so it shouldn't happen. So what I do is exfoliate gently with a baby hair brush to get rid of it. But is it the SA that is causing this excess peeling?

I finally had it, today I had a zit on the side of my nose and it's pissing me off. I felt a whole bunch of dead skin in 12 hours. Every 12 hours.

Is the SA doing that to my skin? If I stopped and simply went with a gentle cleanser and exfoliated gently, it wouldn't happen anymore?

What do you think?

I read that the SA causes excess shedding.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salicylic_acid

"It treats acne by causing skin cells to slough off more readily"

Please I hope you can help me with your knowledge or experience!

I don't feel like shedding so fast is normal =(
Mabsy

Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:37 am      Reply with quote
SA can be drying, but what you're describing sounds excessive particularly given that the 2% SA is in a cleanser that doesn't stay on your skin for long (unlike, say, a serum).

Also, my understanding of SA is that while it is an exfoliant, it penetrates the pores and works to clean them out. Glycolic acid being the once that actually works on the surface exfoliation is more responsible for shedding the dead skin cells.

Could you please give a little bit more background info? Did you start using the SA recently? Have you used the aloe vera and moisturiser for a while before that?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:51 am      Reply with quote
Sounds like it's too harsh for your skin and it's over drying it. Also excessive exfoliation and doing it too hard can cause thread veins later on in life.
xxndnromeoxx
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:54 am      Reply with quote
Mabsy wrote:
SA can be drying, but what you're describing sounds excessive particularly given that the 2% SA is in a cleanser that doesn't stay on your skin for long (unlike, say, a serum).

Also, my understanding of SA is that while it is an exfoliant, it penetrates the pores and works to clean them out. Glycolic acid being the once that actually works on the surface exfoliation is more responsible for shedding the dead skin cells.

Could you please give a little bit more background info? Did you start using the SA recently? Have you used the aloe vera and moisturiser for a while before that?

Thank you for the reply,

I've been using it for about 4 months. Before that, I also used the aloe vera + moisturizer, but before I used to use other products that were drying. Perhaps i will try to use products that are meant for gentle skin instead, since it seems to be too irritating.

It's odd though since it only happens on the sides of my nose, and usually after only four hours.
skincarefreak
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:58 am      Reply with quote
I think your best bet would be to get a serum. Yes, it will exfoliate your skin and it'll unclog your pores. It sounds like the cleanser is drying your skin.
skincarefreak
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:06 am      Reply with quote
One more thing...there may be alcohol in the cleanser that is drying you out. Be sure that it doesn't have SD alcohol.
katee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:14 am      Reply with quote
Are you sure that the "peeling" is your skin and not the aloe vera gel? Although it is touted as a healing substance, I would never put an undiluted aloe vera gel on my face.
xxndnromeoxx
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:25 am      Reply with quote
katee wrote:
Are you sure that the "peeling" is your skin and not the aloe vera gel? Although it is touted as a healing substance, I would never put an undiluted aloe vera gel on my face.

I believe so, since the aloe vera wasn't always in my regimen. I used to use cetaphil only
xxndnromeoxx
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:26 am      Reply with quote
skincarefreak wrote:
One more thing...there may be alcohol in the cleanser that is drying you out. Be sure that it doesn't have SD alcohol.

Good point, I will look up the other ingredients as well to see what is going on!
System
Automatic Message
Thu May 16, 2024 7:09 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross Alpha Beta Extra Strength Daily Peel - Box of 30 (30 packettes of Step 1 & 2) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml) Institut Esthederm Intensive Propolis+ Kaolin Purifying Mask (75 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |