Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Omega 3+ and Amalaki Night Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Institut Esthederm Intensive Propolis+ Kaolin Purifying Mask (75 ml)
Anyone seen 'Old Times' at theatre, it's a Harold Pinter.
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
sarahb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:11 am      Reply with quote
Hi

Was my b/day on the 1st March and hubby took me to the theatre to see 'Old Times', by Harold Pinter. Has anyone else seen it? If you have, can you explain it to me? Neither of us had a CLUE what it was about?! Who was the woman in black?

We left baffled and by the look of the audience we weren't the only ones. I have done searches on-line to try to find out the story but can only find brief details and they don't explain the play!
fifi
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:27 am      Reply with quote
I haven't seen this recently, but from what I can remember it's main focus is how everyone remembers the past differently, so the 3 characters all have different interpretations of their past relationships and events and so have different ideas about how their current relationships are structured. Not sure about the woman in black though, unless it's one of the 2 main female characters.
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:53 am      Reply with quote
Ha. I love Harold Pinter's plays, but they arent popular with everyone.

He is master of the oblique and the pregnant pause.

In my student days whenever anyone said anything randomly nostalgic or particularly solepsistic we would
enjoy to dub it 'just like a Pinter play."

A great get - out for those with a tendency toward the non-sequitur.
sarahb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:54 am      Reply with quote
Yes it's the one that comes to stay, she's dressed all in black. Was she a ghost? Were they lesbian lovers years back? Did she even exist? The other woman who has a bath was going on about her being dead, the guy in it bursts into tears and then it ended?! Didn't have a scooby doo what on earth it was about, but half way through I'd glazed over with boredom anyway!
sarahb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:56 am      Reply with quote
catski wrote:
Ha. I love Harold Pinter's plays, but they arent popular with everyone.

He is master of the oblique and the pregnant pause.

In my student days whenever anyone said anything randomly nostalgic or particularly solepsistic we would
enjoy to dub it 'just like a Pinter play."

A great get - out for those with a tendency toward the non-sequitur.

So do you know what it is about?
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:01 am      Reply with quote
Ha, Sarah, I think Fifi did a brilliant job in suggesting what to make of it.

It's probably not something to try to reduce, but something to sit with. ( Like a dream.) A lot of people find that frustrating. Like non - representational art.
sarahb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:07 am      Reply with quote
catski wrote:

It's probably not something to try to reduce, but something to sit with. ( Like a dream.) A lot of people find that frustrating. Like non - representational art.

I realise it was supposed to be about relationships and how we perceive things differently to others, at least that's what I thought it was supposed to be about.

I wanted to know who one of the characters was supposed to be. Do you know?
fifi
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:00 am      Reply with quote
From what I remember, the character who came to stay was an old friend of the wife's, but may also have been a former lover of the husband's at one time although neither of them had any idea the other knew her? It's been a while though.
sarahb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:27 am      Reply with quote
fifi wrote:
From what I remember, the character who came to stay was an old friend of the wife's, but may also have been a former lover of the husband's at one time although neither of them had any idea the other knew her? It's been a while though.

Yes that's right, I wanted to know who she was? A ghost? What was the reference about her being dead?
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:16 am      Reply with quote
catski wrote:

You make it sound so appealing Catski - I desperately want to see it now. Don't you just love frustration and sitting with things.
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:08 am      Reply with quote
Molly wrote:
catski wrote:

You make it sound so appealing Catski - I desperately want to see it now. Don't you just love frustration and sitting with things.

Molly, we could go together, and then discuss it over a supper of nostrils. Pleeeeeeease.
sarahb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:38 am      Reply with quote
I'm guessing everyone that's seen it, is as confused as me then, as no-one's told me who the woman in black was! Smile By the way, she was played by Susannah Harker, who's been in tons of stuff and she was awful, really hammy!
fifi
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:40 am      Reply with quote
Sorry Sarah, I can't remember too many more details about the play, it's been years since I saw it. I was quite into the arty stuff in my student days, but it's been years since I saw anything even remotely representational. My tastes veer more towards immediate gratification now (too old to spend all that time analysing when it could be spent slurping wine and eating chocolate), and hubby would rather have needles poked into his eyes Laughing
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:44 am      Reply with quote
Molly wrote:
catski wrote:

Me too! But I have the same needle-poked-in-eye kind of husband as fifi.
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:48 am      Reply with quote
majorb wrote:
Molly wrote:
catski wrote:

Me too! But I have the same needle-poked-in-eye kind of husband as fifi.

I have pity for you marrieds, but I can see Catski's looking for the immediate gratification of chopping on nostrils these days too. I spose it's a bit like chocolate.
fifi
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:22 am      Reply with quote
Hmm...where on earth do you buy your chocolate???
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:44 am      Reply with quote
I like the way this thread is heading. I can see a woman in black heading this way, attracted by the possibility of chocolate nostrils.
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:19 pm      Reply with quote
fifi wrote:
Hmm...where on earth do you buy your chocolate???

You mean there's a chocolate place I haven't tried! Shock

Aw, man, I'll eat anything with chocolate on it.
m.april
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:24 pm      Reply with quote
I'm very curious about this play now! I love what I've seen of Harold Pinter but we don't get as much of him over here in the States. "Betrayal" is awesome but it's always the safe bet for theater companies. I generally like plays, books and movies that beg for a second or third viewing and Pinter definitely fits the bill!!!

BTW, Happy [belated] Birthday sarahb! Mine was a few days ago too! I'm jealous -- I wish I would've had tickets to a Pinter play. As it was, I had a lovely appointment with an oral surgeon.
sarahb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:10 pm      Reply with quote
It was cr*p, the acting was awful, the story, confusing to say the least and the first half was 30 mins long, before a 30 mins break, which when you've paid full price for a ticket is a bit of a rip off, although in this case we were glad it was short!

There was a ripple of applause, probably from the actors families before the audience left, a majority of them looking annoyed and bewildered. You still want to see it? Smile
m.april
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:25 pm      Reply with quote
Laughing Laughing Laughing well, maybe not with my husband, Sarah! Of course his usual snoring could perhaps be more entertaining for the audience, from what you've just said!
sarahb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:32 pm      Reply with quote
Talking of snoring, the guy 2 seats down from me was snoring and the woman behind me was snoring, I had to nudge my hubby a couple of times!

We're seeing The Hound of the Baskervilles on Friday. At least it will be better than Old Times!
System
Automatic Message
Sun May 12, 2024 8:47 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Vie Collection Mela White Radiance Brightening Essence (150 ml / 5 floz) Dr Hauschka Sensitive Care Conditioner (1 ml x 50 Amps) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |