Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Tips for cleaning a cloisonne vase needed.
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:48 pm      Reply with quote
I have a beautiful cloisonne vase I bought when we were in China.. it is not like the Japanese cloisonne which has a glossy glaze over the top, rather just a buffed finish. the rims and of couse the lines of the pattern are the brass (I think it is brass at least) and I am wondering how to polish it up.

will using a normal brass polish affect the fired cloisonne? what can be used to bring that part to life (nice and shiny).

I have an entrance corner that will be void of anything at the new house and I was planning to buy a square pedestal table to put in the corner, put the vase on top, and then have a downlight or 2 small spotlights - but I think it needs to be shined up a bit first. Laughing

Thanks for any help!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:11 pm      Reply with quote
Maybe just a soft damp cloth, you might want to research rather cleaning up the copper will hurt its value, sometimes the patina should be left alone, I am not sure, but I'd check first!! It sounds lovely.
m.april
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:08 pm      Reply with quote
Hi tiger_tim - I know it may sound morbid, but you may want to contact some funeral urn dealers -- they would likely have experience in cleaning an object such as yours.
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:28 pm      Reply with quote
m.april wrote:
Hi tiger_tim - I know it may sound morbid, but you may want to contact some funeral urn dealers -- they would likely have experience in cleaning an object such as yours.

I will never be able to look at my vase the same way again Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:05 pm      Reply with quote
Laughing Laughing Laughing you're so funny tiger! As long as your vase doesn't have a lid, I don't think you have to worry too much about what may have "dirtied" it! But seriously, as much as one would hate to think of it, funeral urn dealers DO sell "used" goods (whether they admit to it or not is another matter). And either they, or jewelers have experience with cloisonne which can be tricky to clean. While an acidic cleanser will brighten the copper, it may also fade the ceramic. Don' take the chance of ruining your treasure with a DIY approach until you get some professional advice!
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:18 pm      Reply with quote
Laughing I will take your advice but... I have suddenly remembered another source...I will go to the pin collectors! They are made the same way as the vase, so cleaning should be similar..

I have some Disney pins and I am sure that some members who cherish their collections more than me would polish them Laughing

oh god, you have totally affected my view of my vase. thank god it has no lid...

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:48 pm      Reply with quote
Hi again tiger - Since you're now worried that your vase may have an "uncertain" provenance, I won't tell you what my sister found under the lining of an antique box she purchased Shock
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:10 pm      Reply with quote
no fair... tell, tell... (man, I hate it when people teeeeease ya with info and then leave ya danglin') Laughing

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:26 am      Reply with quote
tiger_tim you could try a silver polishing cloth or even a jewellery polishing cloth that should polish it up without getting any product onto the vase Smile
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:35 am      Reply with quote
kez wrote:
tiger_tim you could try a silver polishing cloth or even a jewellery polishing cloth that should polish it up without getting any product onto the vase Smile

... adding polishing cloth to shopping list for the weekend.. Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:38 am      Reply with quote
If it is enamelled well you could use wire wool if you wanted because the enamel won't be affected by anything you put on it. Obviously the metal could be damaged though so it wouldn't be recommended. That said if you want shiney brass then a polishing cloth or a bit of brasso would be fine. You can safely wash the residue off if any gets caught in small pits in the enamel etc. Sometimes my enamel silver jewellery gets discoloured if I haven't worn it for a bit and I just use a touch of silver polish on a cloth.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:58 am      Reply with quote
m.april wrote:
Hi again tiger - Since you're now worried that your vase may have an "uncertain" provenance, I won't tell you what my sister found under the lining of an antique box she purchased Shock

Well if you won't tell Tiger, then tell me, cos I want to know now! Smile

Talking of vases, we have two beautiful long vases which are about 100 years old, they narrow at the neck to about 2" and then flute out a bit. You cannot see into them. My hubby bought me a balloon on a stick for Valentines day and I though the ideal place to put it would be in one of the vases. I was horrified when I put the stick into the vase and it hit something halfway down! I had visions of it being an ancestors ashes and we still haven't got a clue what's inside the vase. Maybe I wouldn't want to know!
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:03 am      Reply with quote
Ewww... might be a dead rat or something (just to make you feel good.. Laughing Rolling Eyes )

Have you tried turning it upside down and shaking vigorously?? My vase sounds a similar shape to yours, but it is new so no nasties inside (I think....)

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:23 am      Reply with quote
tiger_tim wrote:
Ewww... might be a dead rat or something (just to make you feel good.. Laughing Rolling Eyes )

Have you tried turning it upside down and shaking vigorously?? My vase sounds a similar shape to yours, but it is new so no nasties inside (I think....)

Oh thanks! It never crossed my mind that it could be a dead rat........ but it has now! Nah... it's too narrow for a rat to crawl into and besides.... it doesn't stink!

It has been shaken and a load of dust came out, at least I hope it's JUST dust, but there's still something in there.
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:28 am      Reply with quote
fill it with draino and then up end it. Laughing

If it was used as a real vase, maybe someone stuffed that green flower arranging foam into it...

Then again, maybe it is the not-quite-fully-cremated remains of someone's great uncle Billy
Shock Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:55 am      Reply with quote
tiger_tim wrote:
fill it with draino and then up end it. Laughing

If it was used as a real vase, maybe someone stuffed that green flower arranging foam into it...

Then again, maybe it is the not-quite-fully-cremated remains of someone's great uncle Billy
Shock Laughing

You are NOT helping!! How about you filling your lovely vase with draino?!?! Mine is nearly an antique and I'm not putting draino in my priceless MING vase!
sarahb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:57 am      Reply with quote
Great Uncle Billy?????????!?!?!! Gasp, splutter, splutter..... how did he get in there??!?!
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:07 am      Reply with quote
sarahb wrote:
Mine is nearly an antique and I'm not putting draino in my priceless MING vase!

Um, priceless MING that is "nearly antique"?... wasn't the Ming Dynasty hundreds of years ago? I think that would qualify it as antique... Laughing

I haev an idea.. next time you travel, take the vase and at airport security as the guys to tell you what is inside.

I did that in Oz once... a box of whiskey I took in had breakage inside and I got the x-ray guys to tell me how many were broken Laughing (this was post-9-11 when you had to get x-rayed to get OUT of Brisbane airport rofl

dang you got me curious about your vase contents (but if it was mine I would be a tad creaped out..)

Dang April for getting us into this line of thought... let's blame her for the direction this has taken. Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:16 am      Reply with quote
why not try and hook it out with a bit of wire? can't be that bad or it would smell!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:21 am      Reply with quote
tiger_tim wrote:
sarahb wrote:
Mine is nearly an antique and I'm not putting draino in my priceless MING vase!

Um, priceless MING that is "nearly antique"?... wasn't the Ming Dynasty hundreds of years ago? I think that would qualify it as antique... Laughing

dang you got me curious about your vase contents (but if it was mine I would be a tad creaped out..)

Dang April for getting us into this line of thought... let's blame her for the direction this has taken. Laughing

What?!?! Are you saying that my priceless Ming vase that I bought in China for 2.99 might not be Ming now?!! Oooohhh... this just gets better! Shock

No, sorry, you can't get out of it that easily! Don't go blaming April! Up until an hour ago I thought maybe it was just a bit of old paper or pot pourri, now, because of you, I've got visions of body parts shoved in my vase! I hope you can sleep at night! Wink
sarahb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:22 am      Reply with quote
guapagirl wrote:
why not try and hook it out with a bit of wire? can't be that bad or it would smell!

I'm scared now!
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:23 am      Reply with quote
sarahb wrote:
guapagirl wrote:

I'm scared now!

why, does it smell bad Shock

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:27 am      Reply with quote
guapagirl wrote:
sarahb wrote:
guapagirl wrote:

I'm scared now!

why, does it smell bad Shock

No, if it did I would have done something, but Tiger has scared me now! I'm all alone in the house with a spleen in a jar, what if there's an ... an .... an... eye or something!! OK, OK, I must calm down now, breathe, breathe............. phew... that's better! Oh why don't we have wire coat hangers in this house!
m.april
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:28 am      Reply with quote
Okay!!! So while cleaning this antique box, my sister noticed the bottom was false. When she lifted it out, she discovered a folded linen cloth that was quite bloodied. There was also what appeared to be a piece of dried human tissue but not the stub of an umbilical cord. So we wonder if this could've been mementos from a circumcision, or possibly a first menstruation -- God only knows. In either or any case, a big :-&
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:30 am      Reply with quote
guapagirl wrote:
If it is enamelled well you could use wire wool if you wanted because the enamel won't be affected by anything you put on it. Obviously the metal could be damaged though so it wouldn't be recommended. That said if you want shiney brass then a polishing cloth or a bit of brasso would be fine. You can safely wash the residue off if any gets caught in small pits in the enamel etc. Sometimes my enamel silver jewellery gets discoloured if I haven't worn it for a bit and I just use a touch of silver polish on a cloth.

Guapa, I just realized that this is a beautifully coherent and useful post. Thank you. Laughing (you drying out, luv?)

Sarah, it is 2.25 am here in Japan and I am about to go test that "sleep well" theory.. at least now I have someone else worried about their vase ... well, I not worried about mine, but I cannot get rid of the image of filling it up with, um.. dirt ...

Come to think of it.. I could use the, um.. dirt, as a nice base for a dried flower arrangment in the vase.... I mean why not? In Korea they burn your loved one until the "dust" becomes glass and then they make BEADS out of it for you to wear around your neck. Apparently every body creates different colored beads... (I swear, I am so NOT making that up..)

Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:13 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |