Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

One eye smaller than the other
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:20 am      Reply with quote
I have this problem. My right eye is slightly smaller than my left but it's not too obvious if I didn't mention it. Is there anyway to make my eyes look equally the same size with makeup? Thanks! Smile
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:15 am      Reply with quote
Did you, by any chance, have a "lazy eye" condition as a child? I did and one of my eyes is ever so slightly smaller than the other. This is quite common in those of us who previously suffered from lazy eye.

To be honest, whilst I'm sure there are ways of using make-up to help with this (I bet avalange could probably come up with something), I really wouldn't worry about it. Nobody notices mine and I doubt they notice yours either. It's just that we magnify our own perceived faults in our mind.

You probably look absolutely great just as you are.

(Sorry, I know my comment isn't of much practical help, but I do know how you feel and just wanted to give you some reassurance.)
Ke Jiang
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:31 am      Reply with quote
I have the same problem too. But I never care about that.
I think if you do want to do something, you can emphasis on the eye make-up of the smaller one. For example, wild eye line and blacker/longer lashes
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:47 am      Reply with quote
Black eyeliner along the top lash line only and a nice coat of black mascara (on top only) makes my eyes appear wide.

i don't know any tricks for making only one eye appear larger. Confused I guess you could apply more black liner on the smaller eye.
appletini
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:48 am      Reply with quote
I've heard the theory expressed that dark/black eyeliner actually makes the eyes look smaller, but I guess it depends on the way you apply it.
Of course it's totally possible this theory is wrong anyway.

Oh, for perfect symmetry .. wish I had it too, but you don't really see it that often in real life
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:55 am      Reply with quote
me too.. one eye a bit bigger than the other.. sometimes you never notice it but in other pics it is markedly different Shock Embarassed

I htink a lot has to do with what eye make up I am wearing. For me, eyeliner and mascara on the bottom of the eye make the size difference noticable.

So, I just wear upperlash mascara and only ever line there too. HTH

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:05 am      Reply with quote
I don't think that's lazy eye. I actually have a lazy eye, my right one, the medical term is Amblyopia. It's a disorder of the coordination between the eye and the brain, usually beginning in childhood that causes the body to prefer one eye over the other, leading to unequal vision. Hence the eye that's not working as well is "the lazy one." The eye appears normal and healthy, but vision is poor. My vision pathway in my right eye never developed. Simply, I'm almost blind in one eye.

Most people think lazy eye has to do with the appearance of your eye (wandering eye, eye is not as open as the other, etc.) but it's a misnomer. It has to do with your eye internally. So sayeth my eye surgeon.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:55 am      Reply with quote
I so wish I have symmetrical facial features. Mad Supposedly symmetry is what people find attractive in a mate. Rolling Eyes

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:59 am      Reply with quote
I know that's what the "scientific" studies say, but there are tons of celebrities that have "not so perfect" features.

Yay for asymmetry! It makes me, er, unique...

ETA: I'm asymmetrical...my nose is crooked. I never notice it unless I of course see a picture of myself.

I'm also not balanced from the neck down...one of my breasts is remarkable smaller than the other (actually contemplating fixing it surgically, since it a difference of an entire size)...and my left leg is bigger, muscle-wise...mainly due to roller derby, as we compete and skate counter clockwise (we try to go the other direction, to even out the butt cheeks, but it doesn't work since we predominately skate the other direction Laughing ) I notice that my left pant leg is always more snug than the other Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:52 am      Reply with quote
I think we all have one eye smaller than the other. For some it's just more noticeable. The same applies to anything that comes in pairs really, hands, feet, breasts, testicles... LOL You guys get the picture. I too have one eye smaller than the other and at times it does bother me but, I try not to think about it or I'll drive myself crazy. I find that the older I get the more noticeable it is but others have enver noticed. I think it's just because we stare at our faces in the mirror so often that we see all our "imperfections". Just don't stress about it. I find applying a flattering eyeliner and eyeshadow really help open up my eyes and make them look more similar. With a little "creative artistry" and makeup application, you can help to make your eyes appear the more the same size. Just play with some colour and makeup and find out what works best for you. And remember that it's our differences that make us unique and beautiful! Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:02 am      Reply with quote
Wildflower is right -- we ALL have one eye smaller than the other. And rarely do our breasts actually match. Many people wear one shoe size on one foot and another on the other.

I make up one eye a tad differently than the other, just to make them the same shape and size. I know a woman who has two different brands of eyelash curlers, because the shapes of her eyes is different.

My point is: don't worry about it. Smile

If you want to experiement, make your liner a wee bit thicker on the smaller eye, to balance shape. Or use shadow that is slightly lighter in color. If it bothers you.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:49 am      Reply with quote
ParisTroika wrote:
I don't think that's lazy eye. I actually have a lazy eye, my right one, the medical term is Amblyopia. It's a disorder of the coordination between the eye and the brain, usually beginning in childhood that causes the body to prefer one eye over the other, leading to unequal vision. Hence the eye that's not working as well is "the lazy one." The eye appears normal and healthy, but vision is poor. My vision pathway in my right eye never developed. Simply, I'm almost blind in one eye.

Most people think lazy eye has to do with the appearance of your eye (wandering eye, eye is not as open as the other, etc.) but it's a misnomer. It has to do with your eye internally. So sayeth my eye surgeon.

Hi, Paris,

I also have that medical condition, but was under the impression that it can cause one eye to appear smaller than the other - maybe something to do with favouring one eye more than the other because the vision in it is better. I've also noticed that other people with lazy eyes often have different sized eyes. Maybe the muscle around the good eye develops more because it's used more?
smqueen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:30 pm      Reply with quote
i have one eye smaller than the other.. rather not as open as the other.. i duno if thats the problem? this guy really helped me with that Decleor Serum Hydrotenseur - Eye Contour Firming Serum
Nijey
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:23 pm      Reply with quote
One of my eyes is a wee bit smaller than the other, and the larger one is also a bit rounder too. I actually never noticed it until recently when I got a digital camera and began taking lots of close-up pictures of myself (vain, I know!) And other people don't notice it unless I point it out to them. I'm going to guess that's related to some cognitive dissonance--we expect to see symmetrical eyes and will correct for that if there's a slight difference.

Anyway, as far as makeup goes, I just add a little more liner and mascara to the top of my smaller eye. And I try not to worry about it too much. If you look around, you'll notice nearly everyone has slightly differently-shaped/sized eyes.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:31 am      Reply with quote
majorb wrote:
ParisTroika wrote:

Hi, Paris,

I also have that medical condition, but was under the impression that it can cause one eye to appear smaller than the other - maybe something to do with favouring one eye more than the other because the vision in it is better. I've also noticed that other people with lazy eyes often have different sized eyes. Maybe the muscle around the good eye develops more because it's used more?

I didn't know it could affect actual appearance. All I know is that I have very poor sight in my right eye and no peripheral vision in that eye.
(shhh...I cheat on my drivers eye exam...I've been driving for 12 years and have never had a problem, but I'm so afraid they'll deny me a license so I have to get all sneaky!)

Somehow I'm glad to have found someone else has this. I had glasses from the time I was 6 until I was 22 in order to stop me from losing sight in that eye. Once my eyes stopped growing, it didn't matter anymore. I wore an eye patch (yarr!) from kindergarten to 1st grade in order to force my right eye to be used...and a frosted lens once I moved to glasses. I was told by my eye surgeon that once they figure out how to restore sight in blind people, they can fix my eye. Sad

Ah well...til then I will have to be shifty when it comes to the eye test for renewing my drivers license.

Wink

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:36 am      Reply with quote
I have this problem. Makeup helps a lot.

What you do is that you line your bigger eye very close to the lash line, almost so that it's in the lash line, but very thin. Then when you line your smaller eye, use a thicker line so that you even it out. Don't line in the lash line, but right above it, so it balances the other side. If you have dark hair, use black or brown black so that it's solid. If you have lighter hair, use at least a deep brown.

Don't worry if it's not perfectly even sized after you line. You still have the mascara to go.

After you line, crimp your lashes, but crimp the size with the smaller eye a little more, so it's curlier/bigger. Only slightly crimp the bigger eyed size.

Then apply mascara and you're done!

You should adjust as necessary depending on how big the difference between eye sizes are.
nubajelly
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:41 am      Reply with quote
Oh, and if one eye is rounder than the other, just make the eyeliner on the rounder eye more "flat", so that it's very thin and very inside the lash line right in the middle, and a little thicker towards the outside.

For the less round eye, make the middle part of the eyeliner more thick, and taper to thin towards both ends.

This will take some practice, as it is kind of an artistic skill. But eyeliner really changes the shape of your eyes. That's why we can sometimes do a "cat's eye" type of makeup. Don't forget to powder the eyeliner with a dusting of powder to set it, and don't rub or else it will smudge big time!!
nubajelly
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:43 am      Reply with quote
I think having one eye bigger is a condition called ptosis-- which is essentially a droopy eye. I could be wrong though. I'm not sure if ptosis is the same thing as a lazy eye.
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:47 am      Reply with quote
Lazy eye is called Amblyopia.
Ptosis is just a drooping eyelid.
They aren't the same thing.

Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:41 am      Reply with quote
ParisTroika wrote:
I didn't know it could affect actual appearance. All I know is that I have very poor sight in my right eye and no peripheral vision in that eye.
(shhh...I cheat on my drivers eye exam...I've been driving for 12 years and have never had a problem, but I'm so afraid they'll deny me a license so I have to get all sneaky!)

Somehow I'm glad to have found someone else has this. I had glasses from the time I was 6 until I was 22 in order to stop me from losing sight in that eye. Once my eyes stopped growing, it didn't matter anymore. I wore an eye patch (yarr!) from kindergarten to 1st grade in order to force my right eye to be used...and a frosted lens once I moved to glasses. I was told by my eye surgeon that once they figure out how to restore sight in blind people, they can fix my eye. Sad

Ah well...til then I will have to be shifty when it comes to the eye test for renewing my drivers license.

Wink

I used to have to wear an eyepatch as a child - but I loved it! I pretended to be a pirate and actually cried when they told me I could stop wearing it. My mum even had to hide it from me. Embarassed

Then I just had to wear normal glasses - but with different lens prescriptions for each eye. The patching seemed to help even my vision a bit.

A few years ago, I had laser correction and am so happy with the results. Now I no longer need to wear any glasses.

(Don't tell anyone, but I cheated on my driving test too with the vision thing. Embarassed )

I do hope something can be eventually done to help you. You've had a much rougher time than me with it. At least my bad eye was still able to see.

One of my young nieces is also undergoing patching. Her problem is different, though. Can't remember what it's called, but it's pretty rare. She never complains and has been so good about it all. Thing is, despite her vision problems, she has the most beautiful eyes you can possibly imagine. She's very special to me because of all she's been through - despite the fact that she's a naughty little monkey!
Ke Jiang
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:04 am      Reply with quote
Sidda wrote:
Wildflower is right -- we ALL have one eye smaller than the other. And rarely do our breasts actually match. Many people wear one shoe size on one foot and another on the other.

I make up one eye a tad differently than the other, just to make them the same shape and size. I know a woman who has two different brands of eyelash curlers, because the shapes of her eyes is different.

My point is: don't worry about it. Smile

If you want to experiement, make your liner a wee bit thicker on the smaller eye, to balance shape. Or use shadow that is slightly lighter in color. If it bothers you.

I really don't care so much if my eyes are in the same size. However, after reading this, I think I should go and get two different eyelash curlers Laughing Laughing
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:28 pm      Reply with quote
I have the same problem except it's my left eye that is smaller. I just accept that if I have two of something on my body, it's not going to look the same or be the same size. Don't worry! Only you notice this, and even if someone else notices it, too, they won't think it's a big deal. Chin up! Wink Smile
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:57 pm      Reply with quote
Now I feel much better after hearing all of your replies. I do noticed that it's not too obvious if I put makeup on but sometimes I don't wanna wear makeup all the time. Well, it just seems like my crease in my right eye is less compared to the left...if u get what I mean? Confused
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:38 pm      Reply with quote
Stardustdy wrote:
Now I feel much better after hearing all of your replies. I do noticed that it's not too obvious if I put makeup on but sometimes I don't wanna wear makeup all the time. Well, it just seems like my crease in my right eye is less compared to the left...if u get what I mean? Confused

Mine is like that, too. You can see some of my pics which I posted in various threads. The creases look diff in each eye. It's weird but can't help it much.
bombshellbella
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 02, 2010 3:09 pm      Reply with quote
This is my eye, it looks normal when you look at me or if I look in the mirror, but this is how it looks in photos...

is there anything I can do?

33 yrs old - female - light brown hair with high lights - green eyes - medium/light skin tone yellow undertones : ROUTINE : (AM) Cold Water (PM) Facial Massage , OCM (1-2x Weekly) Home Facial (Monthly) Pro Facial ---- Things I am thinking about: Dermaroller, Facial Exercises, DIY Creams...JUST BOUGHT BABY Q POWER PACK -- Can't wait!
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:58 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |