Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Jason Dandruff Relief Shampoo -works pretty well but smells!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
o88odianao88o
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:42 pm      Reply with quote
I've been using Jason All Natural "Dandruff Relief" Shampoo for 3 months. In summary, I like it. It's at least as good as other major dandruff shampoos, it's all-natural, it contains ACV and essential oils, medium-priced, and it lasts a LONG time... but one of the active ingredients, Colloidal Sulfur, smells very pungent and the I don't like that the smell stays in my hair.

I got this shampoo at a Harris Teeter grocery store in North Carolina, a 12oz bottle for $9.99. Been using it every-other-day for 3 months now and the bottle still literally looks full. I've still got about 9/10ths left.

Here are the ingredients:
Active Ingredient: Colloidal Sulfur 2.0%, "Controls Dandruff"
Active Ingredient: Salicylic Acid 2.0%, "Controls Seborrheic Dermatitis"

sodium cocoyl isethionate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, PEG-80 Sorbitan Laurate, Disodium Cocamphodiacetate, Sodium Lauroamphoacetate, Citric Acid, Retinyl Palmitate (Vit. A), Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit Extract), Fragrance Oil Blend, Folic Acid, Camphor, Panthenol (Vit. B), Vegetable Squalane, Undecylenoyl Glycine, Capryloyl Glycine, Disodium EDTA, Dimethiconol, Cyclomethicone, Natural Menthol, Potassium Hydroxide, Methyl Salicylate, MSM (Methylsulfonyl-methane), PEG-12 Dimethicone, Vegetable Glycerin, pyrus maius (apple cider) vinegar, Melia Azadirachta (Neem) Oil, Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Leaf Oil*, Simmondsia Chinensis (jojoba) Oil*, Rosemarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Oil, Spirulina Maxima (Spirulina) Extract, Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera) Leaf Gel*, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Salix Alba (Willow) Bark Extract, Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Flour, Pyridoxine HCI (Vitamin B6), Stearic Acid, Sodium Laureth-13 Carboxylate, Sodium Trideceth Sulfate, Potassium Cocoyl Glutamate, Aqua (Purified Water), Xanthan Gum, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vit. E), Tetrasodium EDTA, PEG-150 Distearate

No Lauryl/Laureth Sulfates, No Cocamide DEA

I really like that the shampoo is all natural and free Lauryl/Laureth Sulfates, and that it contains Apple Cider Vinegar and many essential oils associated with treating dandruff.

I would say this shampoo is one of the better treatments I've ever tried. No dandruff treatment has ever cured my scalp, but some have been more effective than others. Yay for this one! For me, this works at least as well as Nizoral, Head & Shoulders, Garnier dandruff shampoo (can't remember the name), Neutrogena Healthy Scalp. (As comparison, the treatments that haven't worked so well for me are Neutrogena T-Gel and just not using shampoo.) I wish I could compare it to a home-made all natural approach using just the ACV and oils and such, but I never got around to trying that.

My one major complaint is that the sulfur in this shampoo SMELLS! Not necessarily a bad smell, but not a good smell. Well actually at first it didn't bother me much because it smells like beach water Cool , but that gets old after awhile. And as the day goes on the smell that lingers on my hair becomes more and more like the smell of gasoline. It's not terribly strong, but other people can smell it if I'm really close to them. So it's not a huge problem but it bothers me sometimes. I wonder, just how essential is this sulfur to making this shampoo work?

I hope this will help anyone who's comparing dandruff shampoos or looking for a natural dandruff shampoo. It's not perfect but it works pretty well and I can't bear to waste the 9/10ths bottle I have left, so I'll continue to use this for awhile. When I'm done with this bottle, I might try making my own concotion with the Salicylic Acid, ACV, & oils so that I can use something similar but without the smelly, smelly Sulfur!
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:58 am      Reply with quote
Talking about smelly dandruff shampoo, I've been using the Lush solid shampoo bar Soak and Float for years now. It's pretty effective for dandruff (well, seborrheic dermatitis, actually) but does it ever smell! Like road tar (other descriptors--campfire (kind) or burning bacon (less kind.) When it's brand new it's really really stinky so that the whole bathroom is soak-and-floaty, but after a few uses it only smells during use. It's the active ingredient--cade oil--a juniper bark derivative, that causes the smell. And the good news is that the smell doesn't linger in my hair, especially if I use a nice smelling conditioner.

So, why bother? Well, for one thing it works for me, and flakes and itching are banished as long as I use it once a week or so--something most other dandruff shampoos haven't done for me. Second, it lasts practically forever--a shampoo puck lasts me nine or ten months of once a week usage. Third, it's solid, not liquid, so it travels well and doesn't count against my 1 quart ziplock baggie limitation--more room for all my tiny little containers of serums, creams, etc.
o88odianao88o
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:00 am      Reply with quote
Flitcraft, the Lush shampoo sounds appealing (relatively)! As long as the smell doesn't linger, then it beats the Jason shampoo in at least one respect! Could you please share more about it?
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:06 pm      Reply with quote
What would you like to know? Here's the ingredients: Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Water (Aqua), Cade Oil (Juniperus oxycedrus), Lavender Oil (Lavendula hybrida), Marigold Petals (Calendula officinalis), Rose Petals (Rosa centifolia), Perfume. (And don't be fooled by "perfume"--it still smells like cade oil!) The bar is just shy of 2 ounces and costs $8.75. Like I said, you do get quite a few uses out of it, so the price is better than most good dandruff shampoos. You can order either in a Lush store if there's one near you or online atwww.lush.com. Hope it works well for you. (And remember, the smell does calm down a bit after the first couple of uses!)
o88odianao88o
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:14 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks, flitcraft! I'm going to try that when I'm done with this Jason stuff!
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:06 pm      Reply with quote
I tried two diff Jason brand shampoos, and I think one is the tea-tree one that was supposed to help with dandruff. It didn't work for me. My hair was so poofy, and unmanageable. Sad
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:05 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |