Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Alternating tretinoin & copper peptide at night ?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Monica34
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:19 pm      Reply with quote
I was wondering if anyone has been alternating each night between using a tretinoin and a copper peptide product?

I thought this way I could stimulate collagen each night without irritating my skin. The copper would also be anti inflammatory in addition.
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:07 pm      Reply with quote
Good question and I really don't know. I want to follow up with your thread to see what other members will say.
Pachouli
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:21 pm      Reply with quote
I have been using copper peptides for only a couple of months now, so I am by no means an expert. But I did read Dr. Pickart's book, and I also learned a little from reading his forum on which there are quite a few older posts addressing retin-A. In his book, he recommends using retin-a and copper peptides at different times of the day. This is the approach I take. On the forum, he states that it is ok to use them together if you layer them, first retin-A, then CPs. In other words, there are no hard and fast rules. The golden rules are a)don't go to fast and b)watch for signs of irritation/slackness, at which point pull back for a bit. He also states that CPs calm the irritation from retin-A. So in other words, I think your approach would work just fine.
Chrissie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:27 pm      Reply with quote
Pachouli wrote:
I have been using copper peptides for only a couple of months now, so I am by no means an expert. But I did read Dr. Pickart's book, and I also learned a little from reading his forum on which there are quite a few older posts addressing retin-A. In his book, he recommends using retin-a and copper peptides at different times of the day. This is the approach I take. On the forum, he states that it is ok to use them together if you layer them, first retin-A, then CPs. In other words, there are no hard and fast rules. The golden rules are a)don't go to fast and b)watch for signs of irritation/slackness, at which point pull back for a bit. So in other words, I think your approach would work just fine.

when you layer them, after putting on the Retin-A, how long do you wait before putting on the CP??
thanks,
Chrissie

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:49 pm      Reply with quote
On his forum, some people state they actually mix them together. So I don't think you have to wait very long if you layer them. He just suggests retin-a first. (But I don't do this personnally. I use them at different times of the day.)
Monica34
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:33 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Patchouli Smile
skincarefreak
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:48 am      Reply with quote
Chrissie wrote:
Pachouli wrote:
I have been using copper peptides for only a couple of months now, so I am by no means an expert. But I did read Dr. Pickart's book, and I also learned a little from reading his forum on which there are quite a few older posts addressing retin-A. In his book, he recommends using retin-a and copper peptides at different times of the day. This is the approach I take. On the forum, he states that it is ok to use them together if you layer them, first retin-A, then CPs. In other words, there are no hard and fast rules. The golden rules are a)don't go to fast and b)watch for signs of irritation/slackness, at which point pull back for a bit. So in other words, I think your approach would work just fine.

when you layer them, after putting on the Retin-A, how long do you wait before putting on the CP??
thanks,
Chrissie

I wait 30 minutes.
Pachouli
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:29 am      Reply with quote
Bumping because the retin-a/CP question was asked in another thread. I also found this posted by Dr.Pickart on the skinbiology forum:
Quote:
There was a report in Dermatology Times a few years ago that said GHK-copper and retinoic acid were used together and the overall result was better than either alone.

So the best way would be to first apply the GHK-copper, then the retinoic acid cream. The retinoic acid cream will push more GHK-copper into the skin.
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:36 am      Reply with quote
That's confusing Patchouli because I swear in other places he says not to use anything acidic with the original GHK molecule because it breaks down too quickly which is backed up on other sites too. hmm interesting!
Pachouli
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:46 am      Reply with quote
Molly wrote:
That's confusing Patchouli because I swear in other places he says not to use anything acidic with the original GHK molecule because it breaks down too quickly which is backed up on other sites too. hmm interesting!

Oh agreed. He contradicts himself more than once. He originally said the reverse order of retin-a, then CPs Question I guess it is whatever works for you, which is something both Dr. Hannah and Dr. Pickart have said about the use of their actives.
I personally use CPS and retin-A at different times.
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:10 am      Reply with quote
Molly wrote:

could it be that retinoic acid isn't actually acidic? I mean hyaluronic acid tests as neutral but it is still has acid in it's name

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:18 am      Reply with quote
Yes, except I'm pretty sure I've read over on the SCB that it's an acid. Where's Tangal when you need her Question
Pachouli
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:34 am      Reply with quote
Having taken biochemistry and organic chemistry, I can say there are two uses of the word acid. In chemistry, something is named an acid if it has a carboxyl (-COOH) group. Acid is also used for anything that changes the pH of a solution, usually by releasing a proton. (So yeah, what guapagirl said, an acid doesn't necessarily have to act acidic. It depends on other groups attached to the molecule and on the pH of solution it is added to, and on the presence of a buffer.)
An acid can denature a peptide (protein) rendering it inactive. But since there are a few variables involved, so it would probably either have to be measured or a best guess made. I would prefer the word of someone who studied the peptide than trying to make a guess myself.
SandraG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:50 am      Reply with quote
I use copper peptite (super Cp) every night. I am waiting for my retin A order to arrive. I am going to keep using my copper every night, and then spot treat fine lines areas with retin A on top of my copper.

If I get any irritation then, I wont use the copper when I spot treat with Retin A, but I'm usually tolerate things very well.

I slap on a layer of emu oil on top of it all, so I'm not expecting too much flaking. If I get some, I'll just add more emu oil on top.
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:58 am      Reply with quote
Pachouli wrote:
Having taken biochemistry and organic chemistry, I can say there are two uses of the word acid. In chemistry, something is named an acid if it has a carboxyl (-COOH) group. Acid is also used for anything that changes the pH of a solution, usually by releasing a proton. (So yeah, what guapagirl said, an acid doesn't necessarily have to act acidic. It depends on other groups attached to the molecule and on the pH of solution it is added to, and on the presence of a buffer.)
An acid can denature a peptide (protein) rendering it inactive. But since there are a few variables involved, so it would probably either have to be measured or a best guess made. I would prefer the word of someone who studied the peptide than trying to make a guess myself.

Very interesting! Are acids only capable of denaturing peptides at a low pH or can this happen if the "acid" is a neutral pH? I guess what I am asking is are both types of acids that you defined capable of denaturing a peptide. Also, I thought that part of the problem with CPs and acids (using the term to indicate a low pH solution) was that the acid could cause the copper to dissociate from the peptide creating free copper which might not be a good thing. This is different from denaturing a peptide or am I wrong on this? And is there reason to be concerned about the copper and peptide dissociating.
Pachouli
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:34 am      Reply with quote
TheresaL wrote:
Pachouli wrote:

Very interesting! Are acids only capable of denaturing peptides at a low pH or can this happen if the "acid" is a neutral pH? I guess what I am asking is are both types of acids that you defined capable of denaturing a peptide. Also, I thought that part of the problem with CPs and acids (using the term to indicate a low pH solution) was that the acid could cause the copper to dissociate from the peptide creating free copper which might not be a good thing. This is different from denaturing a peptide or am I wrong on this? And is there reason to be concerned about the copper and peptide dissociating.

Yes, a substance that acts as an acid (releases a proton and lowers the pH of the solution) can denature a protein. Bases can denature proteins too, that is why your skin burns if you touch liquid plumber. There a strong acids and weak acids, they both can chemically be named an acid because they contain the carboxylic group, but some acids will not give up the proton at all. Even water at neutral pH can act as an acid by giving up a proton, but it is chemically not named as an acid because it does not have a carboxyl group. Water is neutral because it acts as an acid and a base. In other words, whether something acts like an acid depends on the pH of the solution it is introduced to. In this case the solution is either your face alone, or your face + CPs.
When you put a lactic or glycolic acid on your face, you want it to act as an acid, it denatures the structural proteins (keratin) and that is how it exfoliates. This is why the strength of the acid you use for exfoliating depends on the pH more than the percentage.
When you put Retin-A on your face you want it to act as a delivery for Vitamin A, not as an exfoliant. But it does irritate the skin with the time. Additionally, retinoic acid is usually delivered with a buffer. A buffer is a substance that counteracts pH changes and maintains pH.
But the question is whether retin-A is strong enough acid by itself to denature the peptide binding the copper ion. Retinoic is by itself a rather weak acid, which means it does not want to give up its proton very much. So my guess would be I doubt it.
SandraG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:50 pm      Reply with quote
So based on these two excellent and scientic analysis, should retin A go under or on top of copper Cool
You gals kick A@@
Monica34
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:33 pm      Reply with quote
SandraG wrote:
So based on these two excellent and scientic analysis, should retin A go under or on top of copper Cool
You gals kick A@@

All I can tell you is that Dr.Pickard says you can do it either way.

Tretinoin on top of copper supposedly pushes copper deeper into the skin.

Copper on top of tretinoin will reduce irritation the tretinoin might cause.

I personally dont mix tretinoin with anything because I am not sure it wont dilute it somehow. But, I only use Renova twice weekly and GHK the other days.
SandraG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:02 am      Reply with quote
I see. Thanks. I may just use the tretenoin on top of the copper. I'll know if the Retin A is not working as effectively, which would irrispectively mean, that it is being broken down. I know Retin A and my skin so well, if it's not working as well, I'll know it and I'll know why.
Lisey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:47 am      Reply with quote
Does CP really work for scars? I'm planning to get the mildest CP.
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:40 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |