Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Are any skin lighteners really healthy?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:00 am      Reply with quote
I've been thinking of getting some Daisy Facial Glow Serum for skin lightening for ages, but in the back of my mind I wonder if any of these are good for you. They basically all work in the same way
Quote:
Belides™ influences biochemical pathways involved in melanin synthesis by: Inhibition of tyrosinase, transcriptional control of tyrosinase expression, reduction of the pro-melanogenic mediators endothelin and ?-MSH (melanin-stimulating hormon), as well as reduction of melanosome transfer to keratinocytes.

Considering that no SS is 100%, I am not hiding from the sun anymore and melanin is your skin's own way of protecting itself from UV radiation acting like an anti-oxidant. Will I potentially suffer from more sun damage using this? Any opinions? TIA Molly Smile
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:52 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Molly!
Yeah, I was concerned too re: all these evil-sounding biological modifiers. Sad What I have been using for 3 months is **please don't think I'm weird til you read on** sterile Nightingale Droppings from Chidoriyaworld.com. Shock
The geisha have been using this for, well, as long as there've been geisha for lightening, cleansing off the kabuki/geisha makeup, and prevention of aging and blemishes. The droppings are sterilized and, reportedly, pure and only bleach the skin, apparently. The lightening is very gradual but it does help and gives you a "pearly" finish. You use the light beige-ish granules as a scrub or mask and rinse off afterwards. The odor is rather organic, but not intolerable and it does not linger.
If you are interested, you can email them at: marsato@chidoriyaworld.com. They have been very helpful and they do get back to you promptly.
Incidentally, if you are familiar with the spa in NM called Ten Thousand Waves, a Nightingale Facial is offered to the tune of ~$100, and it's supposedly very popular. The small bottle of powder I got from Chidoriya was only $17, and you only use 1/4tsp at a time.
So how much more "natural" and "organic" can you get than bird poop? Which goes to show what Xtreme lengths some of us will go to for perfect skin!!! Rolling Eyes Ssheesh!!

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:48 pm      Reply with quote
fawnie wrote:
Hi Molly!
Yeah, I was concerned too re: all these evil-sounding biological modifiers. Sad What I have been using for 3 months is **please don't think I'm weird til you read on** sterile Nightingale Droppings from Chidoriyaworld.com. Shock
The geisha have been using this for, well, as long as there've been geisha for lightening, cleansing off the kabuki/geisha makeup, and prevention of aging and blemishes. The droppings are sterilized and, reportedly, pure and only bleach the skin, apparently. The lightening is very gradual but it does help and gives you a "pearly" finish. You use the light beige-ish granules as a scrub or mask and rinse off afterwards. The odor is rather organic, but not intolerable and it does not linger.
If you are interested, you can email them at: marsato@chidoriyaworld.com. They have been very helpful and they do get back to you promptly.
Incidentally, if you are familiar with the spa in NM called Ten Thousand Waves, a Nightingale Facial is offered to the tune of ~$100, and it's supposedly very popular. The small bottle of powder I got from Chidoriya was only $17, and you only use 1/4tsp at a time.
So how much more "natural" and "organic" can you get than bird poop? Which goes to show what Xtreme lengths some of us will go to for perfect skin!!! Rolling Eyes Ssheesh!!

Don't laugh, I've tried this too! Embarassed I bought it from the same place you did. Unfortunately I couldn't handle the smell..stinky!!! Then reality set in and I couldn't believe I was putting "poop" on my face....gawd what we'll do for a geisha like complexion Shock Hope it works well for you!!

Molly, sorry but I can't answer your question..it's kinda above my head and I don't wanna guess. Cool Great question though!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:13 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the responses; I don't mind the idea of that kind of 'organic' matter, but I wonder if bleaching is a good for you too and Geisha girls would probably be extremely well-shielded from any UV at all.

On the positive side of tyrosanine inhibition is the fact that this gets mucked up when you're older and can go into overdrive. I wonder if it's a good thing to inhibit? Confused
Lisey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:58 am      Reply with quote
fawnie wrote:
Hi Molly!

It's really bird poop? That sounds really gross... Rolling Eyes
lucyluc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:21 am      Reply with quote
I think lumitone HP is ok, made from the white daisy. Its by aloette,they have a website if you google they also have a video on the website that talks about its safe skin lightening properties.
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:04 am      Reply with quote
As far as I can see Lucyluc that uses the same mechanism because it uses "Bellis Perennis (Daisy) Flower Extract, Alpha-Arbutin" both of which inhibit the production of melanin in the same way as above. I'm not saying that's dangerous, but I am asking is it good for your skin's long-term health considering we all get some UV exposure to turn off that mechanism.
helenzwl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:12 am      Reply with quote
I heard from news paper that all the lighten products has plumbum, but just amount of containment is different.
m.april
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:43 am      Reply with quote
[quote]: On the positive side of tyrosanine inhibition is the fact that this gets mucked up when you're older and can go into overdrive. I wonder if it's a good thing to inhibit?

Hi Molly - Can you explain this more? I don't understand what you mean. You've obviously researched this so I'm hoping you can spare me the trouble!
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:21 am      Reply with quote
m.april - I think you do know what I mean. Maybe it's just the way I expressed it. Cell/DNA/sun damage leading to hyperpigmentation. This is lifted from the Remergent skincare site.

"The cascade of wounding responses has many effects on skin cells, structures and systems:

Melanocytes are stimulated to make pigment (melanin) in the skin. In youth, for some, the result may be a tan. But during photoaging, the melanocytes lose their strict controls, and uneven pigmentation develops. This appears as light spots where melanocytes have stopped working or as dark brown areas, called age or sun spots, where they make too much melanin."

It's more that it's wonky than in overdrive.
joani.sp
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:26 am      Reply with quote
So is there any way to get those pesky melanocytes to behave?

I'm interested in this topic as I have become somewhat obsessed with hyperpigmentation from a trip to Central America (yes, I used sunscreen, Anthelios 60), and although I did not burn or tan, these spots seemed to come from nowhere when I returned home.

I really want to vanish them but I have heard terrible things about bleaching agents. Also, I know Retin A is sometimes recommended (or some type of retinol) but Retin A can also cause hyperpigmentation!)

There is so much information, but none of it gives any clarity (pun not intended!) to the situation. As an aging baby boomer (my birthday is today!), I would love to find a safe, effective product.

Thanks for bringing this topic up Molly.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:44 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the explanation Molly! I guess my melanocytes haven't gone too wonky yet. But I use a lot of l-acorbic acid to essentially bleach [I guess?] my freckles. I think I'll pass on the guano treatment. I don't doubt though that l-ascorbic can be a double-edged sword in that it's photo-protective yet also exfoliates. But I shy away from lightening agents like hydroquinone and kojic acid.

This is a provocative subject and I'll be watching it with interest. I admit I'm too vain to passively let nature take its course but I don't want to do more harm than good. I've also eyed the Daisy Facial Glow Serum for a long time but have instinctively resisted.
joani.sp
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:26 pm      Reply with quote
I thought this was a nice summary and easy read on this subject:

http://www.emedicine.com/derm/topic528.htm

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:47 pm      Reply with quote
try Kose medicated sekkisei lotion
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:34 am      Reply with quote
joani.sp wrote:
I thought this was a nice summary and easy read on this subject:

http://www.emedicine.com/derm/topic528.htm

Thanks for posting joani - I hadn't realised there were some subtle differences in the action of these skin lighteners. I'm looking at kojic with more favourable eyes even though it irritates the hell out of my skin Laughing

And it seriously hadn't occured to me that Vit C is in some way a kind of bleach - not allowing your melanin to get brown. I wonder if that can be such a good thing hmm

Lots to think about - I haven't examined the bird poop closely yet, but will do.
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:55 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |