Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Is everyone suited for smoky eyes?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:04 pm      Reply with quote
Like what the question implied. I feel that I look wicked or weird with smoky eyes instead of sexy Sad Or I just look weird with any dark eye shadow. Did anyone experience that at all or is it just me?
Lisey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:08 pm      Reply with quote
I do not look good with smokey eyes at all! My eyes are wayyy out there, no matter how light the smokey eyes are!! I look too gothic with them and my eyes would look like they're about to fall out. Not a pretty thing.. Rolling Eyes
gigiab6
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:10 pm      Reply with quote
I don't know about that but you can do the smoky eye with a taupe or other lighter colors. I think with that you focus on blending a charcoal or brown eyeliner really well with brown and beiges for eyeshadow. Every smoky I hve ever done well is based on how well I blended. HTH.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:16 pm      Reply with quote
I loooove a smoky eye but I also look terrible in dark eyeshadows. The trick for me is to use a very smudgeable eyeliner (cannot recommend sue devitt eye intensifier enough, thank you manslayerliz), concentrating on the outer 2/3 of my eyes -- if your eyes are close together, trying to line around the inner corner will make you look weird.

try using lighter colors suited to your skin -- I do it in bronze, plum, or olive green. You don't have to wear dark eyeshadow. Also, I find the real trick to a smoky eye like you see in magazines is to line the inner ledge of your lower lid. Look closely on magazine pics, you'll see that part is lined also. Otherwise that strip of skin interrupts the smoky look and you don't get the heavy contrast between eyeball and eyelids. Note that this is not for sensitive eyes at all, eyeliner WILL get in your eyes during the day.

follow up with a tonal eyeshadow or one that sort of helps the smudgy eyeliner blend into your skin. example, if I do an olive green smoky eye with sue devitt in bangalore, I use a rich warm taupe eyeshadow with a bit of gold to blend up into the crease.

hth -- let me know if you'd like me to clarify anything.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:33 pm      Reply with quote
I also thought smokey eyes weren't for me until I started learning tricks to the look. For some reason, I always thought bold dark colors equalled good smokey eyes. Now that I've been taught to tone or blend dark colors with more subtle colors, I find wearing other looks boring! Even my boyfriend who doesn't like obvious madeup look loves smokey eyes on me Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:00 pm      Reply with quote
Also depends on your complexion and the way your eyelids are... Some people with smaller 'round' eyes don't suit the smokey look since it makes their eyes seem circular rather than elegantly slanted.
helenzwl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:46 pm      Reply with quote
I don't know whether I am suited for smoky eyes, because I never paint smoky eyes well! Crying or Very sad
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:48 pm      Reply with quote
andaman_gypsy wrote:
I also thought smokey eyes weren't for me until I started learning tricks to the look. For some reason, I always thought bold dark colors equalled good smokey eyes. Now that I've been taught to tone or blend dark colors with more subtle colors, I find wearing other looks boring! Even my boyfriend who doesn't like obvious madeup look loves smokey eyes on me Smile

Can you share the tricks on how to create smokey eye looks?
mystixx
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:06 am      Reply with quote
I think it also depends on how smokey you want it to be? I can't take a very dark smokey look for for light & slight smokey it works fine for me. Smokey eyes are really tricky, it does take some practise to make it work... It took me like 4-5 attempts before I even dare to step out of the house with it.
Rufus
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:16 am      Reply with quote
It just looks silly on me. Embarassed
Coconut
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:12 am      Reply with quote
In my opinion, the smokey eye looks good on a select number of people, sometimes it can really dehance (not a real word, but you catch my drift), rather than enhance natural beauty. So many people cake on tons of eye makeup that don't need it.

I think this is a good example of how the wrong makeup really makes a difference. She looks attractive in both photos, but stunning and standout in the second, ordinary and run of the mill in the first, at least in my opinion.

http://www.imdb.com/gallery/granitz/5388/Events/5388/BijouPhill_Grant_11350586_400.jpg?path=pgallery&path_key=Phillips,%20Bijou

http://www.imdb.com/gallery/granitz/4954/Events/4954/BijouPhill_Kambo_9137559_400.jpg?path=pgallery&path_key=Phillips,%20Bijou
and another...
http://www.imdb.com/gallery/granitz/4954/Events/4954/BijouPhill_Kambo_9137955_400.jpg?path=pgallery&path_key=Phillips,%20Bijou

On the other hand I think beyonce pulls off the smokey eye really well, as well as brigit bardot (even though she's a nutbag)
Chrissie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:50 am      Reply with quote
Coconut wrote:
In my opinion, the smokey eye looks good on a select number of people, sometimes it can really dehance (not a real word, but you catch my drift), rather than enhance natural beauty. So many people cake on tons of eye makeup that don't need it.

I think this is a good example of how the wrong makeup really makes a difference. She looks attractive in both photos, but stunning and standout in the second, ordinary and run of the mill in the first, at least in my opinion.

http://www.imdb.com/gallery/granitz/5388/Events/5388/BijouPhill_Grant_11350586_400.jpg?path=pgallery&path_key=Phillips,%20Bijou

http://www.imdb.com/gallery/granitz/4954/Events/4954/BijouPhill_Kambo_9137559_400.jpg?path=pgallery&path_key=Phillips,%20Bijou
and another...
http://www.imdb.com/gallery/granitz/4954/Events/4954/BijouPhill_Kambo_9137955_400.jpg?path=pgallery&path_key=Phillips,%20Bijou

On the other hand I think beyonce pulls off the smokey eye really well, as well as brigit bardot (even though she's a nutbag)

wow, I think she looks great (especially her eyes)in the first pic, but needs some serious hair defrizz product in the second.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:58 am      Reply with quote
don't sad, me too
i think single lid's me, can't be suit to smoky eye. that made my eye more Embarassed swollen
samantha185
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:13 am      Reply with quote
I think it really depends on the individual if they are suited to smokey eyes. Not to mention there's many various degrees of smokiness? Like the whole eye lid area or just the double eye lid area (sorta like a border around the eyes). For me I can only take the double eye lid-smokey border look - full eye lid smokey I look like panda! Haha :P

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:52 am      Reply with quote
i dont really wear makeup (only to cover up my nasty spots and scars) but when i tried to do the smoky eyes, it seriously just looks like iv been beaten up by someone, not a good sight!

and iv got quite small eyes and too much black makes my eyes even smaller, but my friends got hte most gorgeous eyes and looks great with...well anything!
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:24 am      Reply with quote
It's not just you, stardustdy--- I've tried every version of the smokey eye known to man, and each and every one looked dreadful on me. I've seen pix in magazines where girls with blue eyes look pretty with a smokey eye, so my own personal theory is that it has to do with the shape of your eyes. My peepers are quite large, and they don't really sit back in my face, so I have a lot of eyelid space to cover. Here's a pic of said peepers for reference:

I went my whole life just wearing white or beige on my lids and eyeliner along my top lashes because I thought that's all I could do, but just in the last couple of years I've discovered that even though not every one can manage the smokey eye, everyone CAN look a little more glamourous with a little more color on the eyes. Here's my advice if you'd like to try it: sweep a sheer, neutral color across your lids and into your crease. I like using Alima's shimmer powder in Lumina, or Bourjois' cream shadow in Beige Electrisant, but any peach, beige, taupe, white, light pink, etc will do. Then, gently sweep a slightly darker neutral just along your crease, where your lid meets your face. I like Alima's tigerye (neutral brown), grace (bronzy plum, MUCH lighter than it looks on the website), and you might also consider toffee (neutral medium brown). If you want to try going one step sexier, when you get to the outer corners of your eyes, blend the shadow out a little bit--- a little higher and lower than the rest of your crease. And if you want to go even one more step sexier, after you've done this, add just the tiniest dab of slightly darker color to the outer corners of your eye and crease. I like Alima's Black Orchid and MAC's Beauty Burst. (Both are kind of burgundy browns). Don't forget to put a touch of highlighter on your brown bones (again, I like Lumina from Alima), blend everything together a little bit, and voila, you're ready to join your sexy, smokey-eyed sisters!^-^ HTH!

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:27 am      Reply with quote
To help everyone out, here are some very nice links to smokey eye tutorials which seem to present problems to mainly those with Asian eyes and deeply hooded eyes (why am I not surprised?)

http://www.temptalia.com/tutorial-black-smokey-eye (who has alot of makeup tutorial, from eye shadow blending to contouring)

http://prelapsarianme.livejournal.com/197966.html

The following tutorials are from specktra.net, a forum worth joining if you love eyeshadows and/or MAC. You might need to join as a member for some of the threads, but totally worth it:

http://specktra.net/showthread.php?t=28432

http://specktra.net/showthread.php?t=58941

http://www.specktra.net/showthread.php?t=41232

Also community.livejournal.com/mac_cosmetics have some many fotd with smokey looks.
One tutorial is this one: http://community.livejournal.com/mac_cosmetics/9335348.html

HTH and personally I can't do brown color smokey eyes and I have warm skin tone. WTH?

Mid-20s Asian female (since I am not mature enough to be called a woman Very Happy). Skin is combination with tendency to dryness around the cheeks and prone to blemishes. Naturally coarse black hair Sad. Lastly but most importantly, you need something purchased in Australia I will be happy to CP :.
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:33 am      Reply with quote
Liz--

You look lovely as ever my dear!

For other pale sisters who want to do a smokey eyebut feel like dark colors look garish next to white skin, I suggest you try MAC's Satin taupe. Its such a perfect color to wear alone or with a darker color smudged on the upper lash line. Im going to do a smokey eye with it later and I'll post a pic.

Eye Shadow, Satin Taupe
Shade description: Taupe brown with silvery bronze shimmer (Frost)

Looks kinda greyish on my moniter but the color IRL is so beautiful, a perfect taupe for pale gals.

27~Texas~Oily~ fair~ breakout prone~ easily congested~Cysts caused by emotional stress~ Using Ayurvedic skin care and philosophy~ Dry brushing body and face~ On strict less is more routine~ We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~ Oscar Wilde
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:41 am      Reply with quote
cuppre wrote:

This girl is so perfect it makes me sick!

27~Texas~Oily~ fair~ breakout prone~ easily congested~Cysts caused by emotional stress~ Using Ayurvedic skin care and philosophy~ Dry brushing body and face~ On strict less is more routine~ We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~ Oscar Wilde
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:41 am      Reply with quote
vonstella wrote:
Im going to do a smokey eye with it later and I'll post a pic.

SWEET! I can't wait!

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:42 am      Reply with quote
I just can't have those smokey eyes as the girls in the magazine. I don't really understand why.
cuppre
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:47 am      Reply with quote
vonstella wrote:
cuppre wrote:

Hahah yes! So true! So has many stalkers (counts herself as one).

She takes amazing photos, has really cute friends (including the feline kind) and hm...she posted this gorgeous geisha tattoo she is in the progress of getting.

Mid-20s Asian female (since I am not mature enough to be called a woman Very Happy). Skin is combination with tendency to dryness around the cheeks and prone to blemishes. Naturally coarse black hair Sad. Lastly but most importantly, you need something purchased in Australia I will be happy to CP :.
cuppre
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:48 am      Reply with quote
vikki_cooler wrote:
I just can't have those smokey eyes as the girls in the magazine. I don't really understand why.

Which magazines are you looking at? Maybe I can direct tutorials to ones that suit more of your eye shape?

manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:54 am      Reply with quote
cuppre wrote:
vonstella wrote:
cuppre wrote:

She takes amazing photos, has really cute friends (including the feline kind) and hm...she posted this gorgeous geisha tattoo she is in the progress of getting.

I know, she's so beautiful! I saw that her name is Japanese, which leads to believe that she might be half-Japanese. I'm already daydreaming about my future half-chinese daughters looking like her, lol!

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:01 am      Reply with quote
manslayerliz wrote:
cuppre wrote:
vonstella wrote:
cuppre wrote:

I know, she's so beautiful! I saw that her name is Japanese, which leads to believe that she might be half-Japanese. I'm already daydreaming about my future half-chinese daughters looking like her, lol!

Very Happy Euroasians are generally really pretty looking. And she is half-Jap I think, though given how naturally blonde her younger sister is - I wonder whether it is more like a quarter.

System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:44 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |