Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

hot yoga
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
BCgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:44 pm      Reply with quote
so i hear about this new way of doing yoga that seems to be popular... you do yoga in a really hot room so you sweat alot and therefore lose weight... has anybody tried this before? Since summer is around the corner, i need to tone up and want to try this... any feedback would be great for those who have tried
Mabsy

Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:49 pm      Reply with quote
I thought all yoga was done like this, or is it just Bikram yoga? I've only tried a yoga DVD but after talking to MACrisis (who does the hot yoga thing on a regular basis I think) I really want to try "proper yoga", which I'm under impression is done in a room with high temps. I could be *way* off here though!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:20 pm      Reply with quote
Not all yoga are done in hot rooms. I can't stand hot yoga but I do think its great for losing weight cuz more sweat. I prefer cool and serene environment when it comes to yoga.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:30 pm      Reply with quote
I think I would pass out. If I take a shower before I eat breakfast and it gets too hot in the bathroom I get really sick/almost pass out (for me, heat seems to make the side effects of low blood sugar worse). Since I don't like to work out on a full stomach, I'm guessing the hot yoga might have the same effect.
eta: I'm sure it's great for people who can handle it Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:46 pm      Reply with quote
I do not know if Bikram was the 1st one introduced doing yoga in a heated room but I know nowadays lots of yoga studios are heated. Remember, not all heated yoga studios do Bikram yoga.

Yes, heated room is making you sweat more but the main purpose is not to lose weight but sweat out the toxic in your body. I've been doing yoga in a heated room for 6 years now, 2 ~ 4 times a week, 1.5 hour each time, but I did not lose any weight. My body fat dropped about 3%. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy My energy level is higher and I don't get sick. Well, twice for last 6 years.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:52 pm      Reply with quote
Other than the toxin release benefits, I thought that the hot room temp's used for Bikram ("hot") yoga were primarily to relax your muscles so that you don't over-strain them.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:00 pm      Reply with quote
Bikram yoga is by definition done in a heated room and it is a specific type of yoga that can only been down in certified Bikram studios. That being said lots of power yoga it in a heated room and well as just hot yoga but these are all different whereas Bikram has a spcific type of moves. Also with Bikram you aren't supposed to eat beforehand. HTH

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:04 pm      Reply with quote
I used to do Bikram yoga years ago. During summer, it's not too fun to be in a room that's like 110 degrees. When it's really crowded, it's kind of gross. People are dripping head to toe in sweat and when they swing their arms, their sweat just fly around the room. When trying this type of yoga, be sure to drink lots of water before hand and bring a liter or more of water with you to the yoga room. And bring a beach towel. I don't think I lose weight with yoga. Though it made me calmer I think.
MACrisis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:07 pm      Reply with quote
gigiab6 wrote:
Bikram yoga is by definition done in a heated room and it is a specific type of yoga that can only been down in certified Bikram studios. That being said lots of power yoga it in a heated room and well as just hot yoga but these are all different whereas Bikram has a spcific type of moves. Also with Bikram you aren't supposed to eat beforehand. HTH

Bikram yoga is not a specific type of yoga but a specific sequence of 26 postures. Each posture is prepared for the next one. All postures are not new (thousands of years) but Bikram puts them together.

Heated room will make you more loose but in another way you might over stretched without knowing it.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:16 pm      Reply with quote
Bikram is a definite style of yoga, and you have to be an official Bikram teacher in order to technically be doing this style. Teachers must be certified etc. Just like Hatha or Iyengar or Kripalu or any other style of yoga.

Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:22 pm      Reply with quote
According to my trusty friend Google and Wikipedia, Bikram yoga indeed is considered a "style" (maybe not type) but it is a "style" only because it consists of a copyrighted and trademarked sequence of standard yoga postures and is done in a heated room. From what I understand the fact that this guy managed to get the sequence of standard yoga poses copyrighted is a bit of a controversy...

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:25 pm      Reply with quote
Bikram has franchised "his" yoga. So if you have not bought a franchise, you are not allowed to teach the sequence of poses he teaches, in a room heated to over 100 degrees. Some people get around this by calling it "hot" yoga, with the understanding that it is Bikramesque. He sues teachers/studios frequently. Other styles of Hatha yoga, such as Ashtanga are usually practiced in a heated room, but nowhere as hot as Bikram. Other styles such as Ashtanga and Iyengar among others have certification for their teachers, but no ownership of the yoga.
MACrisis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:51 pm      Reply with quote
Mabsy wrote:
According to my trusty friend Google and Wikipedia, Bikram yoga indeed is considered a "style" (maybe not type) but it is a "style" only because it consists of a copyrighted and trademarked sequence of standard yoga postures and is done in a heated room. From what I understand the fact that this guy managed to get the sequence of standard yoga poses copyrighted is a bit of a controversy...

This is why my teacher stopped teaching Bikram yoga in his studio. My teacher is Bikram certified but he taught Bikram yoga and his own routines (different classes). Few years ago Bikram told him he can only teach Bikram yoga period. My teacher chose to dropped Bikram Yoga and teaches his own routines.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:08 pm      Reply with quote
The major type of yoga in the west is Hatha - such as Ashtanga, Iyengar, etc. Also Kundalini which incorporates poses and chanting to open the chakras, and Bhakti which is devotional.

Trust me, Bikram has more controversy then the ridiculous copy-writing of poses. Such as saying that he has sex with his students because they would kill themselves otherwise. That statement was made to the LA Times a couple years ago. He also hold yoga competitions yearly.
ScotsLass
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:23 pm      Reply with quote
The bottom line is this - Bikram yoga is simply a series of 26 different hatha postures. The man behind this (Mr. 'ego-maniac' Bikram) has patented a series of 26 yoga postures and nothing else. He did not re-create the wheel or do anything remarkable other than select 26 specific yoga movements out of the hatha series and create a 'style' out of them (I can't remember how many hatha postures there are in total other than the number well exceeds 26!!!). He also included intense heat as part of this 'style'. This is the main factor that differentiates him/Bikram from other traditional yoga practices.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:50 am      Reply with quote
I did Bikram for a few good months before getting pregnant. When I was doing it, I lost a lot of weight and had quite a few comments on the weight loss! I was "thick" before, not overweight, but after a few weeks I lost the thickness and was quite slender.

Before you go, drink lots and lots of water to keep hydrated. You can take water breaks whenever you choose during the class, but its better to drink before hand. Because it detoxifies your body, you may get headaches and feel especially tired. The water you drink before hand will really help reduce it.
helenzwl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:16 pm      Reply with quote
I'm interested in this topic! want to learn more about it!
puglove
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:26 pm      Reply with quote
helenzwl wrote:
I'm interested in this topic! want to learn more about it!

Google it, there's tons of information about Bikram yoga!
smqueen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:32 am      Reply with quote
power yoga in a hot room sounds scary Sad
to me the whole concept of doing yoga in a 100c+ room is scary ive heard about ppl fainting.. and the classes are pretty long usually an hour and a half! i think unless youre already strong/vital, bikrams isnt the best bet if youre just starting to get into yoga in general. my chiropractor tells me bikrams also isnt good cause u can really hurt yourself by over extending your muscles if youre not knowledgable about your own body limitations and knowledgable about postures.

i think you can even lose weight just doing normal hatha yoga.. just remember to really engage your muscles. i lost a size and a half when i started doing hatha regularly.. about 3-5x week
Lara1
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:23 pm      Reply with quote
I will continue with the regular yoga. I will not be able to do it in the hot room as I will pass out.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:01 am      Reply with quote
I really like hot Yoka cos I can burn my calorie Surprised
helenzwl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:06 am      Reply with quote
can I do this in home? Must go to gymnasium?
lin23
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:05 pm      Reply with quote
NO problem, you just heat up your living room to approx. 90-100°F ...
MACrisis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:12 pm      Reply with quote
lin23 wrote:

Bad Grin Bad Grin Bad Grin Bad Grin Bad Grin

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:32 pm      Reply with quote
lin23 wrote:

Laughing Cheeky!
System
Automatic Message
Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:26 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |