Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Retina A users
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
mommydearest
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:04 pm      Reply with quote
I am using Retin A Micro a few times a week and working my way up. Not sure I will ever be able to handle every night or even every other. What are other things you find helpful to use in conjuction? If I have some acne scarring I assume I have to use TCA and CP or something. What about things like Salycilic Acid, Madelic Acid or other peels like Pumpkin. Are they all duplicating what the Retin A would be doing? I do some light exfoliation and if I feel my face is getting raw at all I stay away from the Retin A for longer.
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:36 pm      Reply with quote
I'd be very wary of using exfoliants alongside Retin A especially if you say your skin couldn't handle daily use. Retin A not only thins the corneal layer but is also irritating to it. Most of us using a retinoid would have to cut back on acids.

I'd suggest barrier healing topicals such as the milder CPs (e.g. Skinbio's CP serum) or Nia-24.

HTH M Smile
mommydearest
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:41 pm      Reply with quote
thanks. I don't like the thinning idea. Maybe I won't keep it up for long then. It does seem to help with the cystic type little bumps under the skin better than anything else I have found.
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:51 pm      Reply with quote
Sorry, I didn't mean to put you off.

Retinoids are possibly the best topical for anti-aging and acne and it's only the upper-most layer that will be thinner. It gets thicker as we age so maybe thats not so bad as it sounds. Although of course good sun protection becomes an absolute necessity.

It very much plumps the epidermis. Here's a photo.

but it really isn't necessary to use as much exfoliation as you would on skin without retinoids.
mommydearest
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:40 am      Reply with quote
very interesting. I know my Derm says if your skin can handle it, it is the best for anitaging. Thanks!
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:17 am      Reply with quote
mommydearest wrote:
thanks. I don't like the thinning idea. Maybe I won't keep it up for long then. It does seem to help with the cystic type little bumps under the skin better than anything else I have found.

I have cystic bumps on my forehead and cheeks and they are the bane of my life Crying or Very sad . I have had some success in getting rid of them with lactic acid peels and I have just recently ordered some Retin A to try (haven't received it yet). How long have you been using the Retin A on your bumps - I'm interested in your feedback.
mommydearest
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:42 am      Reply with quote
Hi - I have used it off and on for a number of years. I have always been a little afraid of using Retin A long term (not sure if there is any reason to be - it is just once years ago when I was younger I thought I thinned my skin too much with it and I got scared but was not sure if it was my imagination or not). All I know is that within a few weeks of using it I start to see improvement.
Sel
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:51 pm      Reply with quote
I've been using Retin A nightly for a few months mainly to help with acne so I haven't used it over my entire face. Since then I haven't used thing like pumpkin peels, or the apple one as I did before.
Instead i've been using the Epidermx II nightly and that's more than enough exfoliation for me. I have decided that using any other peels would be overdoing it for me at the moment.
Janie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:21 pm      Reply with quote
I've used retin-a for three years and my skin looks very good. I, also, had a few breakouts but didn't see a change until I started using MMU. Now, I don't have any breakouts-at all!! Very Happy
helenzwl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:49 pm      Reply with quote
I'm very interested this topic, waiting for more information!
mt0417
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:32 am      Reply with quote
Friend's Dad is Doctor and told that Retinol A is effective on skin care and recommended.

Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:28 am      Reply with quote
Hi girls, I used retin-A for years on my occasional cystic acne pop-ups. I didn't have bad acne but yes, I am a perfectionist, and those occasional huge, disfiguring cysts made me want to die. Not even 2 courses of Accutane worked(which I wish I hadn't ever done). The retin-a helped the scarring and smoothed my skin, but it never helped the deep cysts under my skin. I suffered for many years.

Anyway, if a doctor prescribed it, I've tried it, and I found something better than retin-A for my acne and anti-age routine (I will be 30 soon). I now use Tazorac religiously each night. It does not have the flushing or peeling side effects that retin-A did for me. I swear I wore high-necked shirts, turtlenecks, and neck scarves for years trying to hide the fact that my face was a different color (RED!) than my neck and the rest of my body (PALE!)from the Retin-A. Just thought I'd put in my 2 cents on retin-A!

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:54 am      Reply with quote
I agree with Molly. As a former Retin-A user, usage of other acids is a not a good idea.

IME, it just makes your skin look worse because it looks drier and you could probably harm your skin barrier. If you find you are flaking a lot, decrease usage of Retin-A to maybe once every other day or every 2 days.
mommydearest
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:53 pm      Reply with quote
Here is another question then. Have any of you used Retin A and decided it was not worth the irritation and that you could find better or just as good results with something else? OR did you feel that it was unfortunate you had to give it up because in the end it gave the best results in certain ways?
charis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:44 pm      Reply with quote
I agree with F8I. I tried retin-a and had trouble adjusting to it. After many years, I finally found tazorac and LOVE it. I would not give this product up.
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:40 pm      Reply with quote
mommydearest wrote:
Here is another question then. Have any of you used Retin A and decided it was not worth the irritation and that you could find better or just as good results with something else? OR did you feel that it was unfortunate you had to give it up because in the end it gave the best results in certain ways?

I didn't experience irritation with Retin A, but felt my skin looked a bit alien; white & waxy. Plus I started to get a bit of hyperpigmentation on my cheeks despite SS. I've since moved on to the Avene retinaldehyde range and am much happier with the results.
Long, current thread here:-
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?tid=18292&start=0
mommydearest
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:33 am      Reply with quote
Molly - wow - this is all pretty overwhelming. Do you think this stuff helps with texture that happens with age or more just acne stuff? I was using a Retinol product by Cosmedix but don't think it does anything and that is when I decided to go back to Retin A. Yours sounds stronger.
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:34 am      Reply with quote
mommydearest wrote:
Molly - wow - this is all pretty overwhelming. Do you think this stuff helps with texture that happens with age or more just acne stuff? I was using a Retinol product by Cosmedix but don't think it does anything and that is when I decided to go back to Retin A. Yours sounds stronger.

anti-aging, I'm not an acne sufferer.
Though their Diacneal version is good for that too.
Monica34
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:51 pm      Reply with quote
mommydearest wrote:

I cut back to using it twice a week only and begun using CP on the other days. Works well for me. No more irritation or flaking and they both encourage collagen/elastin production. I also like that CP doesnt thin the skin and strenghtens the skin barrier. The infrequent tretinoin application seems perfect for me to increase cell turn over just enough. I believe its a good combination.
mommydearest
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:56 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Monica - which CP do you use?
Monica34
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:06 pm      Reply with quote
I have been using Neova, but wanted to try Procyte's Complex Cu3. I just received it yesterday and love it. Its very coppery looking. Its called Complex Cu3 Post Laser Lotion and costs $24/4oz at SkinElite http://www.skinelite.com/complexcu3.html
Its sold to be used after micro dermabrasion or lasor therapy, but I thought why not use this instead of the other more expensive products?
It has to be at least as strong as the Neova cream - actually it looks a bit more purplish to me even. My skin is normal to dry - it may be a bit to rich for oily skin.

I havent tried SkinBio's GHK cream yet - its very pricy at $99/2oz. I dont know if its stronger since there are never any CP amounts given on any product. I think all you can do is judge by its color (as long as there are no artificial colors added as with Neutrogena i think).
lefemme
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:00 pm      Reply with quote
I have very fair, and slightly sensitive skin on my face. I was told by my dermatologist that Retin-A or Retin-A products are the only products proven to repair and stave off lines and wrinkles. So What I use is Renova, (just read last night in Health Magazine that Bobby Brown said she owes her youthful looks to Renova.) I use Renova at the 0.05 strength 3x per week--which is what my dermo suggested. I use Glytone AHA 3 times a week also, so I use each product on alternate nights.. I put my copper peptides on in the morning after the DMAE. Anyway, if I were you, I'd try Renova. I got it for $12/tube from MedsMex--the straight Retin A was considerably more expensive, but the pharmaceuticals from Mexico work very well, and for Retin-A and Renova you don't even need a prescription! HTH and good luck!
System
Automatic Message
Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:42 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |