Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Little skin bits around nails, what gets rid of them?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
sarahb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:44 am      Reply with quote
Hi

I have great nails thanks to OPI Nail Envy but what can I use to get rid of my cuticles and little bits of skin around my nails? Currently I bite them off, but I'm sure there must be a product I can use instead.

TIA
shanno
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:29 am      Reply with quote
One tip that I got from Frederic Fekkai's book is to push your cuticles back with your bath towel every time you shower or have a bath. I've found that this really improves the look of my cuticles and reduces excess skin. (It essentially exfoliates the dead skin.)

If I do have any lingering dry skin around the edges, I usually just nip it off with cuticle scissors. Then I finish with something moisturizing, like Dr. Hauschka Neem Oil.
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:53 am      Reply with quote
my fave way to get rid of this (and I have a lot of it) it to soak your ffingernails in olive oil, milk (buttermilk is even better), and warm water. The milk tends to break up and soften those horrid parts, and heals the parts you've bitten or damaged, too. It sounds so simple, but it really works! Mine are really bad, so I tend to push them back with an orange stick and cut off the excess, but you may not have to.

Also, hand/cuticle cream at night works too.
And don't do laundry. I swear that folding freshly washed laundry killlllsssss my nails and my cuticles.

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:53 am      Reply with quote
uh, of course i do my laundry ever week, regardless!!!!!

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
Agent OO-CAT
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:18 am      Reply with quote
Phew avalange, you had us all scared there! Embarassed

I would recommend Carekate's lemon-neem cuticle cream. I apply it at night and it is a godsend at healing ragged cuticles which have been bitten. It also makes them softer and it's easier to push them back. On the whole, once my cuticles are mositurized, I find I don't need as much treatment/cutting them etc.
mommytoemma
5% products discount

Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:22 am      Reply with quote
I really find that when I use my TIPS nail oil (from the shopping channel) on a daily basis my cuticles stay nice and neat looking and stay back off the nail without having to push them or trim them - of course, I have to remember to use it regularly for this to happen.
Heather
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:40 am      Reply with quote
I second the TIPS and you can also purchase at qvc if you live in the U.S. Nails need moisture not hardened products. A good nail stone (Sally Hansen makes a great one)will also help to seal the tips of your nails and smooth them out. Forget the emery boards and traditional metal type nail files. You'll just end up ripping your nails apart.
samantha185
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:43 am      Reply with quote
I prefer using Creative's Solar Oil for the skin around my nails. I find it helps in nourishing it and keeping it under control so it won't flake or what.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:26 am      Reply with quote
SusieQ wrote:
I second the TIPS and you can also purchase at qvc if you live in the U.S. Nails need moisture not hardened products. A good nail stone (Sally Hansen makes a great one)will also help to seal the tips of your nails and smooth them out. Forget the emery boards and traditional metal type nail files. You'll just end up ripping your nails apart.

I third the TIPS, however I've recently discovered "Heart of Nails" nail treatment - the best nail treatment I've ever used. Four stars for the Heart of Nails french manicure products as well - the colours are magnificent and they go on beautifully.
Pudoodles
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:01 am      Reply with quote
Ahh Pudoodles! Heart of Nails??! Yes, I've watched a couple of the shows. Thats good to hear. I shall keep them in mind too!
sarahb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:52 am      Reply with quote
I should add that when I remember I do apply a cuticle cream or OPI Avoplex oil but I STILL get the little snaggy bits at the sides of my nails. It's such a pain, what am I doing wrong?! Maybe I should be applying it daily? Smile
Lisey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:02 pm      Reply with quote
Like everyone suggested, I would also recommend soaking your fingers, and then using some cutical lotion, push back your cuticles, and lastly add some cutical oils. Do not cut your cuticles, you'd regret it!! Cutting your cuticles can lead to infections and irritations!!
puglove
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:49 pm      Reply with quote
samantha185 wrote:
I prefer using Creative's Solar Oil for the skin around my nails. I find it helps in nourishing it and keeping it under control so it won't flake or what.

I use this as well. I'm quite intrigued by avalange's soak receipe...I think I'll give that a whirl =)
Ch79
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:27 pm      Reply with quote
I like Sally Hansen Instant Cuticle Remover. The one in the blue bottle.

You just put it on your cuticles, wait 15 seconds, push cuticles back with an orange stick, and rinse off. Voila! Make sure to moisturize your cuticles/hands afterwards to prevent drying and tearing, and it's pretty much perfect cuticles after that.

You can read the reviews for it on Makeup Alley. Hands down the most effective cuticle remover I've ever used.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:33 pm      Reply with quote
So what are the little snaggy bits either side of your nail on your finger called? Is that still your cuticle, or is a cuticle just the bit at the bottom of the nail that you have to push back?

It seems that no matter what cuticle oil I use on the snaggy bits (that's their official name by the way), they will not disappear, hence me biting them off! Smile
Ch79
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:38 pm      Reply with quote
Do you mean hangnails?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hangnail

Chewing on them and biting them will not help the problem. Just cut them off, moisturize, moisturize, moisturize, and remove excess cuticles. After a while, your hangnail problem should significantly decrease.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:43 pm      Reply with quote
Yes! So that's what a hang nail is! Thanks.
sarahb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:44 pm      Reply with quote
Will try my best not to bite now, great to know what a hang nail is at last. Smile
sarahb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:46 pm      Reply with quote
Rub in lotion two or three times a day?! That must be where I'm going wrong as I only do it about 2-3 times a week.

Thanks ladies. Smile
Harmonster
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:34 pm      Reply with quote
Ch79 wrote:
I like Sally Hansen Instant Cuticle Remover. The one in the blue bottle.

You just put it on your cuticles, wait 15 seconds, push cuticles back with an orange stick, and rinse off. Voila! Make sure to moisturize your cuticles/hands afterwards to prevent drying and tearing, and it's pretty much perfect cuticles after that.

You can read the reviews for it on Makeup Alley. Hands down the most effective cuticle remover I've ever used.

Same.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:16 pm      Reply with quote
I have heard some people said this phenomenon is skin lacke of some vitamin, but I forget which vitamin.
Safire
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:51 pm      Reply with quote
I have this problem very badly at the moment Sad, I have tried using Mavala nail/cuticle oil & it seems to be working imo, but I have to continue using it several times a day to actually fix the problem I think.
sarahb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:23 am      Reply with quote
Trouble is I've got into the habit of biting the hangnails off and I don't know when I'm doing it. Does anyone know what that disgusting tasting stuff that you put on your nails to stop biting them is called? I might try that.

TIA
Velvettt
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:00 pm      Reply with quote
It's just Tabasco sauce, Sarah! Or Angostura bitters. Best cure I ever found for dried cuticles and snaggy bits was Bag Balm. Not the fancy drugstore cosmetic version, but the actual made-for-cows ointment. Try it for a week and you'll be thrilled.
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:00 am      Reply with quote
I have bouts of extremely flaky cuticles and 'skin flakes' around the nail bed... I think the cause is vitamin deficiency (when I eat well I don't get them) and you can try to use some mixture of oil/butters plus salicylic acid (aspirin) to dissolve the hard skin.
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:22 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |