Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

what kind of suncreen would you like to use?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
mommydearest
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:10 pm      Reply with quote
hzzyjane wrote:
I usually just wear mineral makeup (Jenulence) on my face and MyChelle sunblock underneathonly if I'll be outside awhile. It works very well but it's a little greasy- not heavy, though.

Hi Hzzyjany - I use MyChelle too and also Arcona. I think they are similar. They do feel less chemically to me but not sure if they are as protective against sunburn as some of these other higher spf's and don't think they are water resistent are they?
m.april
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:37 am      Reply with quote
Well I got the Avene Emulsion SPF40 and so far it seems about as oily as their SPF50+ Emulsion. I need to go back to the 50 again to make sure but if there's a difference, it's not very significant. I used the 40 during some very humid weather (thunder storms off and on) and needed powder to cut the shine, just like with the 50+. Bummer.

I'm wondering how la vie's getting on with the Cleanance Solaire SPF40??? It's hard for me to believe that it could have the exact same ingredients listed in exactly the same order as the Emulsion SPF40, yet have a different finish. But who knows? One thing, the Cleanance Solaire is apparently so new it didn't show up on any sites I checked before I bought from tubotica. If it IS less oily, it may be tricky to get a hold of outside of France, at least for a while.
carolb69
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:54 am      Reply with quote
m.april I was just thinking about the same thing and saw your post Smile I think it is hard to get a hold of ATM. Am waiting to hear more from la vie.

I just did a search and was excited too see beautynet offering free shipping

http://www.beautynet1.com/avenesuncare.html was eyeing off the gel/creme then realised its only free shipping if you spend a certain amount Rolling Eyes

I thought the gel/creme would be nice for when Im not out much.

Molly do you know the PPD of this? Thanks Very Happy

Im also tempted by this

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=http://www.bioderma.com/&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=1&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dbioderma%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1B2GGGL_enAU177

Sorry its not going directly to product but its the new tinted Bioderma for sensitive skin. If I could just find one with a nice tint so i can go without makeup then all my problems would be solved Razz I like their AKN Spray and I have their other tinted cream but the tint is way too dark!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:29 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Carol
I'm not sure which SS you're asking me about the PPD of. If you mean the Avene SPF 20 emulsion then most sources I've read say 15/20, except then there's that funny symbol thing which you noticed before on Tubotica >3 (can't find the symbols on my keyboard) and apparantly that means you divide the SPF by 3 to get the PPD, except it could be more. According to EC law (so I read over on MUA) all SS have to have a PPD of one third of the SPF at least. This seems a little curious to me so I'm going to look into it some more. Just got a book on SS actually so I'm hoping to be a bit more clued up soon or maybe I'll become a total SS bore Rolling Eyes a career as a sunscreen cop isn't ruled out for me yet, you know. I hear the pension's very good.

I agree the Flush looks interesting, except I have a funny feeling that these are old products and they haven't updated their site because if you read these reviews on MUA one of them says it was formerly known as FLUSH and then they've got other weird ones on that site which are for TANNING Shock

That's a shame about the SPF40 April - did it say 'nouveau - fluide extreme' on the pack with like a crescent moon shape as part of the design rather than the circle. I'm wondering if it was the new formulation or not?
carolb69
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:41 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Molly Very Happy Yeah I was asking about the emulsion. Beautynet have the gel/creme and the emulsion. Im assuming they're probably about the same PPD.

I heard Bioderma were reformulating. I hope they come out with something like the AKN Spray thats tinted....we can only dream Wink

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 01, 2007 5:57 am      Reply with quote
But look over here Carol
http://www.skincarecentral.biz/skincare-sun.html
there are suddenly some new SS.

Kathleen has the old pack shot of the Avene 20 emulsion (but it says NEW) and next to it it says PPD 10 - I wonder where she got that from? I hope it isn't true.

Also says the Bioderma Max fluide is a new formulation. I wonder what the difference is?

Some more to ponder on Neutral

I'm emailing her - that PPD's worrying me.
carolb69
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 01, 2007 6:08 am      Reply with quote
Ooh thanks Molly - Ive checked it out. Surely that cant be right with the Spf 20 Avene Emulsion?? Its low PPD! I wouldnt have thought any of their sunscreens would be that low!

hmm I need a new sunscreen to wear with MMU but am at a loss what to get....
Rolling Eyes

I might get samples soon. I only ordered a sample from her last week ( of the new c serum) Pity these werent on the site then.

Let us know what her reply is - could explain why your were tanning with it on??

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 01, 2007 8:49 am      Reply with quote
Hi Molly - no, nothing on my box of Avene SPF40 Emulsion to indicate it's a new formula.

I wonder when we'll get a verdict from la vie about the Cleanance Solaire SPF40??? So far her impression of it isn't a fair comparison since she said her skin was dry when she started using it, and then she was in the dry heat of Las Vegas, LA, etc. Under those conditions, I could believe it wouldn't look as oily. I used the SPF40 Emulsion under extremely humid conditions and it disappointed me. I have a friend who lives in Henderson, NV (just outside of Las Vegas) and she uses Avene Creme SPF50, it's so dry there!

BTW, the ingredient list of the "new" Bioderma PhotoMax Fluide on skincarecentral still includes avobenzone.
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 01, 2007 9:02 am      Reply with quote
April So, yours was from Tubotica, was it? I imagined Lavie was talking 'new formula' emulsion SPF40 not the original and she first got a little bit excited about that one back in Paris so her usual climate. Where is that Lavie? Hurry back!
shelliegal
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 01, 2007 11:32 am      Reply with quote
i'm using boot's soft and sheer tinted moisturizer with spf 15. it's available at select target stores for only $11.99.

it's very soft and gives a very very sheer tint coverage. goes on smoothly, much better than the tinted juice organics moisturizer.

i like it alot and use it under my pressed powder. very nice.
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 02, 2007 12:47 am      Reply with quote
carolb69 wrote:
Ooh thanks Molly - Ive checked it out. Surely that cant be right with the Spf 20 Avene Emulsion?? Its low PPD! I wouldnt have thought any of their sunscreens would be that low!

hmm I need a new sunscreen to wear with MMU but am at a loss what to get....
Rolling Eyes

I might get samples soon. I only ordered a sample from her last week ( of the new c serum) Pity these werent on the site then.

Let us know what her reply is - could explain why your were tanning with it on??

Had an interesting conversation with Kathleen. The Bioderma isn't a new formulation; she just meant new to her site.

The low PPD for the Avene 20 comes largely from the now defunct Biochemistry of Beauty website; Carol Demas and another's analysis so it's probably reliable though a bit on the conservative side and it doesn't relate directly to the new 'ultra-fluide' which might have changed things slightly.

She wasn't aware of the new 'ultra-fluide', although she felt this one in the old packaging also seemed to have changed and was lighter than before which is why she's now offering it.
She's going to look into the new ones.

I was only tanning on my hands Carol and I do seem to tan real easy on them and tend to forget and wash it off.

Whatever, I reckon it's got to be a higher SPF for the weather we've got now which is like mid summer. Still say it's good for ears and necks though.
carolb69
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 02, 2007 1:15 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Molly. We're coming up to winter here Crying or Very sad so I think the emulsion will be good enough as I hate the cold and tend to stay indoors alot.

Im going to get a sample and keep an out out for la vie to chime in again about the other one.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 02, 2007 7:12 pm      Reply with quote
Pleeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaase let me know if any of you find a good one. I am out in the sun all day, through the windsheild of my car and of course my car window is rolled all the way down all day, I know if dosen't matter it can come in through the windows. I have used two different kind of sunscreen, the solbar spf 38 and the clarins spf 40 and they turn me white when I apply, and greasy and they feel so gross. Not to mention I got burnt on top of that. I reapplied and everything. I just started using retin-a micro and I really need something good. Theres nothing that looks worse on me then reddish skin thats been hit with the sun and boy does it make my face look ten years older. I don't know what to do.
P.s. sorry if I didn't read the whole lot of these pages. I am having a harder time getting on here during the day and I can't keep up anymore.
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 03, 2007 12:00 am      Reply with quote
Lordy Razinkane! That's quite a dilemma; being outside all day whilst using Retin A. Rather you than me.

I tanned well through the Clarins so I can see why you'd burn. Both of them are physical SS so unless they put some pigment in them you're going to be a bit white. On a lot of people it doesn't show, but I have big colour issues with physical screens myself; even the faintest make me look ghoulish.

Did you try Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock SPF 55/70
I understand it's fairly matt and definitely colour free and it should be easy to get.
http://www.neutrogena.com/content_169.asp
I understand the PPD is good, maybe 12/15 (correct me if I am wrong). I haven't used it myself but I've only seen good reports.

If it was me I'd also give the Avène Emulsion SPF 50+ (PPD ~ 20) 50 ml.
http://www.skincarecentral.biz/suncreen-avene-50.html
a go - it's slightly sticky (not oily), but only a dash of evening rather than whiteness. April and Lavie have used it for a couple of years or so - again you can MMU over it.

I haven't used this exact one from Avene. I've been using their other creams/sprays for a couple of years at least, but I'm switching over to the emulsion because I hear it's less sticky. I don't find Avene offensively white, though it gives a small hint of evening. I can't promise a perfect finish with it, but I can recommend it's protection and you sound like you could sure as hell do with that.

BTW I did wonder where you were
Molly Smile
nickieygirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 03, 2007 2:38 am      Reply with quote
I recommend this sunscreen

http://www.marketathome.com/template/a33/showproduct1.php?pid=692582&shopid=15011

It's the best seller and it's suitable for sensitive skin. It is not greasy.

Unfortunately, this website has only Thai language but if you want to try some you can ask seller in webboard in English.
carolb69
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 09, 2007 6:47 am      Reply with quote
I have ordered samples of the Avene 20+ emulsion as well as the 50+ one from skincare central.

I'll report back what I think of them Very Happy I have the 40+ spray of Avene at the moment but I find it a bit more shiny than id like plus it seems to turn a horrible greasy mess on hot days. Its good on days my skin is feeling a little dry though.

I also have the Bioderma AKN Spray and prefer that to the Avene spray, there's just the problem with using makeup over it.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 09, 2007 9:57 am      Reply with quote
nickieygirl wrote:
I recommend this sunscreen

http://www.marketathome.com/template/a33/showproduct1.php?pid=692582&shopid=15011

It's the best seller and it's suitable for sensitive skin. It is not greasy.

Unfortunately, this website has only Thai language but if you want to try some you can ask seller in webboard in English.

Hi Nickie,
Are you Thai? I am and can read Thai. I didn't read through all the different sections of the site, but read the part where she talked about how to pay. Hmm...you have to send her money through the 4 Thai banks. Did you do that? Did you receive it via mail? Do you live in Thailand? I live in the US, so I'm not sure how that would work.
C
m.april
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 09, 2007 10:30 am      Reply with quote
Hi carolb69 - I tried a bottle of Avene Spray SPF50+ and it's oily and streaky too, so I use it on my hands, etc. I've been using the recently-purchased Emulsion SPF40 now and then and I swear, I think it may be oilier than the Emulsion SPF50+!!! I'm still anxious to hear what la vie has to say about the Cleanance Solaire!

FYI, I've found Jurlique Lavender Silk Dust to be effective at toning down shine. It's very finely milled but it's white. However, it's so fine that I can also apply some MMU over it without the finish looking cakey. Plain old cornstarch works too.
ayapp
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 09, 2007 10:43 am      Reply with quote
shishedo Cool
Jala
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 09, 2007 7:51 pm      Reply with quote
mommydearest wrote:
Jala wrote:
Has anyone here ever heard of or used this sunscreen:

http://vmvhypoallergenics.com/shopping/catalog/product_70_Face_Cover_30.html

It's supposed to banish wrinkles, fine lines, and when used everyday, help erase melasma! I've looked at the ingredients listed, but really don't know what to make of it hmm

Hi Jala - Actually this looks really good. Did you get it?

Just saw this Embarassed --- I forget how I even stumbled onto their website...maybe MUA. Anyway, I didn't place an order after I checked out the shipping charges Shock I didn't realize when I posted the link that they are located in the Philippines...I'm in the States. It does sound like a good sunscreen, though, doesn't it?! I guess I'll be sticking with the Sofina ss..I'm still pretty happy w/it Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 10, 2007 3:00 am      Reply with quote
m.april wrote:
I've been using the recently-purchased Emulsion SPF40 now and then and I swear, I think it may be oilier than the Emulsion SPF50+!!! I'm still anxious to hear what la vie has to say about the Cleanance Solaire!

finally back and almost settled in (including getting samples out -- sorry so late).

okay. my conclusion is that m.april has hit it on the nose. the Solaire IS oilier than the Emulsion 50! (consistency similar to Bioderma FE for people that have tried that.)

however, the Solaire is lighter (in texture) and more cosmetically elegant -- at least for the first few hours. then the oilies come out and it's similar to the Spray (though, thankfully, it doesn't get streaky like the Spray). it also protects well and does not break me out.

the Emulsion 50 protects even better, does not break me out either. it does seem heavier, however, kind of sits on the skin, and can leave a whiter cast (minimal but possibly noticeable on darker complexions) whereas the Solaire 40 sinks into the skin. i do not get the break-through shine like i do with the Solaire (but i also don't use any kind of mattifying powder).

i would wear the Solaire if i needed to look better for, say, a meeting or whatnot. or was going out for a limited amount of time. i still think this could be the answer for drier, darker-skinned gals or darker-skinned gals prone to acne (especially in less humid climes). but use of some kind of shine dampening powder or blotting papers is the key here.

for me, i think, i prefer the Emulsion. 50 versus 40 may be a minute difference to some, but i'm a sun-sensitive pale gal with a nose that lives to burn. the Emulsion seems to withstand sweating better and if you saw my head of hair, you'd understand why my nose sweats (along with my entire face). however, i think i will keep the Solaire in my purse for when i'm caught unexpectedly in the sun as it definitely layers more nicely.

most importantly with both these Avene sunscreens is that they don't make me breakout or irritate my skin with daily use. they protect me well and keep further sun damage at bay. i trust them. i can wear makeup over these without worrying about degradation of SS properties (unlike Anthelios et al).
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 10, 2007 3:57 am      Reply with quote
Well, my dear la vie, ,

While you were gone, I found all of your SS posts and rushed out to buy all these prettily pacakaged avene sunscreens and GUESS what? They ALL broke me out, and my best friend claims she got more freckles with them... I think we need to do some sort of controlled experiment with these darn things. I still have 100s of congestion bumps all over my face, but don't have another ss I can trust at the moment. I tried going without the SS for a couple of days (wearing Epicuren instead) and the bumps diminished greatly. the cleanance 40 does feel less pore clogging. So, basically between a rock and a hard place. Or so I wish--actually out in the sunny temps quite a bit these days...

--avalange

la vie en rose wrote:
m.april wrote:
I've been using the recently-purchased Emulsion SPF40 now and then and I swear, I think it may be oilier than the Emulsion SPF50+!!! I'm still anxious to hear what la vie has to say about the Cleanance Solaire!

finally back and almost settled in (including getting samples out -- sorry so late).

okay. my conclusion is that m.april has hit it on the nose. the Solaire IS oilier than the Emulsion 50! (consistency similar to Bioderma FE for people that have tried that.)

however, the Solaire is lighter (in texture) and more cosmetically elegant -- at least for the first few hours. then the oilies come out and it's similar to the Spray (though, thankfully, it doesn't get streaky like the Spray). it also protects well and does not break me out.

the Emulsion 50 protects even better, does not break me out either. it does seem heavier, however, kind of sits on the skin, and can leave a whiter cast (minimal but possibly noticeable on darker complexions) whereas the Solaire 40 sinks into the skin. i do not get the break-through shine like i do with the Solaire (but i also don't use any kind of mattifying powder).

i would wear the Solaire if i needed to look better for, say, a meeting or whatnot. or was going out for a limited amount of time. i still think this could be the answer for drier, darker-skinned gals or darker-skinned gals prone to acne (especially in less humid climes). but use of some kind of shine dampening powder or blotting papers is the key here.

for me, i think, i prefer the Emulsion. 50 versus 40 may be a minute difference to some, but i'm a sun-sensitive pale gal with a nose that lives to burn. the Emulsion seems to withstand sweating better and if you saw my head of hair, you'd understand why my nose sweats (along with my entire face). however, i think i will keep the Solaire in my purse for when i'm caught unexpectedly in the sun as it definitely layers more nicely.

most importantly with both these Avene sunscreens is that they don't make me breakout or irritate my skin with daily use. they protect me well and keep further sun damage at bay. i trust them. i can wear makeup over these without worrying about degradation of SS properties (unlike Anthelios et al).

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
la vie en rose
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 10, 2007 4:15 am      Reply with quote
avalange wrote:
While you were gone, I found all of your SS posts and rushed out to buy all these prettily pacakaged avene sunscreens and GUESS what? They ALL broke me out, and my best friend claims she got more freckles with them...

yikes -- and you *don't* break out!!!

what can i say??? this is all my subjective opinion. it's my face and no one elses. i love Avene products yet another friend here (who has the most amazing skin in the world) says that she gets red and blotchy from any Avene product because her face hates the thermal water. go figure!

i have to think that my experience with these SS's will more likely be the norm for acne-prone individuals with at least slightly oily skin. much less so for dry-skinned gals like yourself (i actually would have recommended you try the cream).... i also think that your cleaning regimen is NOT enough to remove these heavy duty SS from your face and that's more likely the cause of congestion than the actual SS during the day. cleansing milk removed with a wet cotton ball isn't enough to get these suckers off. you need an oil or a balm, preferably with a cloth, and lots of water to rinse....

sorry.
m1rox
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 10, 2007 4:36 am      Reply with quote
You're right. On another forum where I was a regular, every time someone said they broke out from a sunblock, someone else would ask how they removed the sunblock at the end of the day, and the diagnosis was always inadequate cleansing. Most of us on that forum use cleansing oil for removing make up and sunblock. We find cleansing milk not good enough for high PPD sunblock.
m.april
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 10, 2007 6:35 am      Reply with quote
Yep, these heavy duty SS are designed to adhere to the skin -- that's one reason they're more effective. Something as simple as following cleansing with a non-alcohol toner could make a big difference.

I use Cetaphil for Normal to Oily Skin or Alpha Hydrox Nourishing Cleanser -- and lather twice. Neither have a drying effect on my normal skin.
System
Automatic Message
Thu May 09, 2024 9:31 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Skin Biology Super Cop Skin Remodeling Cream - Large (113.4 g / 4 oz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |